Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The anime episode is 50 percent food and people preparing, ordering, discussing and eating food.

This game is for foodies.

This game is for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Roflan posted:

I've barely been following the game but isn't food a pretty big mechanic in the game? Like you have to eat for various buffs?

I certainly got that impression from how much they talk it up; there's certainly different types of meals of differing complexities, so it appears to be a somewhat fleshed out mechanic overall. Presumably you collect monster parts to use as ingredients.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Demo is fun, I can tell we're seeing only a fraction of the combat system. Once warp points got introduced suddenly the whole combat system took on another dimension and I think we're gonna get something really nice out of this. I felt like I had to fight smarter and actually anticipate when to use the dodge command before counter attacking and warping away; so you fight quick and agile. Good first impression.

EDIT: Frame rate drops are awful and I hope they aren't going to be in the final game. IT only happened a couple times though. This game's lighting effects are goddamn gorgeous, in general it looks great, particularly the giant room.

Carbuncle was cute, liked the little emojis.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 31, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Auron posted:

The demo runs like rear end, or maybe I was a little bit staggered after jumping in right after playing Resident Evil Revelations 2 (60FPS). It definitely didn't seem like a stable 30FPS. Combat isn't all that exciting, but its hard to base it off 30 minutes.

Yeah the game could barely handle its own size; when I made Leviathan appear, he drat near broke the frame rate.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phantasium posted:

Not that it says it in the demo, but you can use R3 to lock on to the enemy with the reticle currently over it, and you will automatically throw it towards them. Speaking of which, I noticed it's less of a pain to lock onto things than it was in Duscae.

please tell me what your avatar is from

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well gently caress. And here I thought I was done spending money on Tales games.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Only if you don't have mayonaisse or somethin' dress that poo poo up

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Flip phones look way more awesome than smart phones

ftfy

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What I'm hoping is that we get a real return to form with this one, a nice fun good versus evil story with a lot of melodrama, except now it's also attached to an open-world RPG with a lot of systems to be fed into, crafting and cooking and poo poo, so I can spend hours just exploring and hunting rare monsters. In fact, I want the rare monsters system from FF12 brought back wholesale, except it should be easier to trigger monster encounters and less random in general (but not entirely not random.)

I want a giant RPG experience and the more I talk about this, the more I'm starting to think I should play Xenoblade Chronicles X.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am financially incapable of affording more disappointment.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Clarste posted:

Honestly, I think those things are mutually exclusive. The more open world a game is, the less you'll care about the story no matter how it's written, just because of pacing issues.

If the story's simple enough, then it can fit an open world fine. I think the set-up for XV seems headed in this direction. You have an overall goal, get from point A to point B, and along the way lots of stuff happens. The real meat of the game's story is the interaction between the main four characters (presumably?) so you actually get all of that in the day-to-day of the game's mechanics. Like, it was cool to run around in the first Xenoblade 'cause the characters chatted and it felt lively, which helped bring out their personalities better.

I'm straining to think of an open world game that had a story I really liked. Infamous 2 probably ranks up there but if I was to limit it to an RPG...I really want to say Yakuza, but I don't think that counts either. The best game to capture the sort of feel I'm imagining would be like, Wild Arms 3. Much of the game is just having adventures in various places, and a lot of them don't even matter to the "main" plot, but the actual plot of the game is to HAVE those adventures, so they don't feel meaningless because...well, that's why you're there. And you are kept invested because you like the characters and it's fun to see them play to their roles in the group and Virginia grows every adventure a little more mature and skilled, as does the player.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Xavier434 posted:

Some people are talking about XV having NG+. Is this confirmed?

Seems a weird thing to confirm with the game still five months out.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, girl Cid is no longer the real Cid? Lame.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

This was stated all the way back at the release of the original Duscae demo, which was what, a year ago?

Guess I missed that. Oh well.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
FFXII feels very classic Final Fantasy, honestly.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait for the NX port where you can get Midna as a summon spell

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I think there's a strange inconsistency with how FF13's art style fits with the rest of the series. It definitely seems to draw a lot from previous titles, like gunblades, but the high future setting sort of feels removed from what Final Fantasy games typically look like. The series has always blended medieval and futuristic elements, dating back to the very first one, but here it felt like they had a setting where slashing people with swords or throwing boomerangs at guys with guns didn't...fit?

Wild Arms 3 comes to mind here. Everyone in your party uses a firearm as their primary weapon, a different type per character, because this is an Old West style setting and swords and spears are outdated (but still used, often incorporated into guns.) The weapons were thematically consistent, relevant to the plot, and reenforced the series' overall trend of featuring ARMS in a prominent way. It let them do cool cinematic things like fighting on horseback and exchanging gunfire with bandits, and it all felt really right at home.

If they really wanted to push a future setting Final Fantasy, I think the effort first and foremost should have been to incorporate that high technology into the gameplay. Characters could use laser swords if you must, or not rely on melee weapons at all. Maybe have the characters do battle in futuristic power armor, that could be customized with enemy drops along the journey. Hell, if you want to do a strictly linear, limited-time-frame story, have that reflected: make resource management stretch the whole game, and have some damage linger on long after you've "rested", so that you are increasingly getting worn down and using whatever you can to keep yourself in fighting shape. FFXIII could have done anything even remotely similar to this sort of thing and have had a far better impact. As it stands, the combat system is an afterthought, alongside pretty much all the rest of the gameplay, and the sci-fi setting is butchered by nonsensical magic words and a poor script.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

elf help book posted:

It's good and cool.

agreed wild arms 3 owns

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am extremely relieved that they delayed it, now I feel more confident they'll actually solve the frame rate issue in time.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just completed the first dungeon and I have to say, if the game can keep up dungeons of this quality, it's going to be a real tough FF to beat. Maybe it was because it was way after dark by the time I reached it but that place had some wonderfully creepy atmosphere, and if you didn't choose to warp back to the entrance immediately then you'd encounter some fun surprises.

Thus far this game is pretty drat great. I see the part where you're "supposed" to watch Kingsglaive but it's still pretty clear what's happening there.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm doing the quest "The Ever Elegant Regalia" and I feel like there's a certain monster the game is expecting me to beat that I should in no way be able to beat at this point. Dungeon spoilers:it's the level 52 rear end in a top hat in the Mines.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

The item for that is just to the right of the lift you took to get into the mine, you never actually need to go in. In fact the mine is marked as a level 50 quest.

Heh, trolled again.

That was a really cool dungeon and I think it's neat that you can wander in there and basically explore it at a low level. So far the game has been 2/2 in terms of cool dungeons. The guy who did the lighting engine needs a raise.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The whole sequence hunting a Behemoth in the mist was very well done, but the cover system caused me to lose a couple times. Am I supposed to HOLD square to enter cover or is it really just extremely finicky?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hey I'm in Lestallum, and I had thought I'd read you could buy music CDs here, but I can't find a store that sells them. Where can I buy more CDs?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So without any spoilers if at all possible, should I be concerned about hitting an unexpected "point of no return" on the open world stuff? I only ask since the devs said the game's first half is open world, then it grows linear at the end--is that something strict, or will I always be able to go and tie up loose ends as need be?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So far, three dungeons in (and four discovered, but I don't go to a dungeon unless I get a quest for it) and the dungeons are still astonishingly great. Nothing has been better than the Mine yet but I wasn't expecting very much out of this game's dungeons and so far they've all felt very distinct from each other, despite the three I explored all being some flavor of cavern.

EDIT: Cindy's missions always send me to dungeons or cool spots, Cindy's missions are OK.

Eff you Dino.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am disappointed to hear there actually aren't a bunch of outfits in the game to get, though I am not super surprised either.

The stat changes seem pretty small, so I largely change the outfits to fit the situation. We rocked no jackets for most of Chapter 1 and 2, Chapter 3 I put everyone in their casual clothes with jackets for the rain, then we went back to default digs as we started Chapter 4.

Raxivace posted:

Does this game vaguely remind anyone else of Deadly Premonition?

It might just be the driving around but I get slight vibes of that.

Actually yes, I was thinking precisely how both games make you earn your car and thus make an objectively clunky driving experience feel like a very rewarding expansion of your abilities. Deadly Prem does this by forcing you to walk 1000 meters on the road to the town at the start, FFXV makes you run around a desert and physically PUSH the car. This works very well in FFXV because the car is a relatively small expansion of your mobility (compared to the utility Chocobos will eventually bring) that if you'd just opened the game with it, you'd likely feel annoyed by its limitations, rather than excited by its capacity to move you along.

Rocking classic FF tunes as you drive around and check out the pretty scenery is great, and the game world and environment are well put together. It isn't as magnificently perfect as the Witcher 3's open world, but it's damned close and vastly superior to all other "open" areas the series had produced in the 13 era.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

seiferguy posted:

What triggers Imperials coming out to attack you?

I was doing Dino's sidequest to find that jewel and I attacked by 5 waves in a row, with like 5 seconds between them. I couldn't even find the jewel, and then I got killed because a giant animal decided to join in and make everything hell.

The Imperial attacks are pretty bugged out and weird right now, I hope it gets patched soon.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
omg if you stand still while riding the chocobo the theme song changes from violins to a little piccolo tune and then it roars back to violins once you start moving it's so loving great

There's a beautiful little detail and it is implemented very smoothly

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Aw poo poo, I just lost that cool lure I got as a quest prize when my line snapped.

...that was probably irreplacable...

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

I am really enjoying FFXV, it has surpassed my expectations.

Same. It's got some wonky bits and pieces, and it's not alone at the top of its class, but by God they have so far put together something different, familiar, cool and above all fun. It's a massive game with a massive laundry list of features but it does feel at the very least that all of those features are intended for me, the player, to have fun with. Compared to FF13, where the player is a clear after thought, it's clear that at the very least they finally learned that lesson.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The plot and characters can be a bit...welll everybody knows everybody so nobody ever seems to get introduced, they just wander into the story and it's like "oh well now this is happening."

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really hope this game's dungeons aren't all variations of cave.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
At last, they have stopped with the cave dungeons.

Also people do Dino's quests he leads you to dungeons. Also Dino is great, a co-worker and I were giggling like maniacs imitating his voice. I don't love the quests themselves but I love every ridiculous thing about Dino. A journalist by day and an amateur jeweler by night like what the gently caress

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WaltherFeng posted:

Which dungeons, where specifically? I might've missed some

Well the Myrlwood is one, and another thing he wants is in Castlemark Tower.

The former has a really cool boss fight that feels like it was lifted from Bloodborne.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Prompto just said I'd given him a "mouthful of happiness".

That's right I did.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tae posted:

I'm really curious about the dlc episodes, since they said each one has different gameplay depending on the character (Glady=Action, Ignis=Tactical, Prompto=shooter). And eventually this multiplayer expansion. It might be a dark souls 2 esque upgrade from above average to amazing in a year after the season pass and patches.

Gladio's is sponsored by Cup Noodle, and in it he must fight off successive waves of ambulatory Cup Noodles. It is impossible to win, and eventually he must succumb to his insatiable need for Cup Noodle. Upon every loss he savors the incredible taste sensation that Cup Noodle offers, slurping a long noodle loudly, then smiling wide at the audience. Light twinkles off his teeth.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
drat, this game started to hit the feels button real hard.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the way they handled the outcome of Chapter 9 because, since I didn't see the things that happened away from me, I don't see them in the game either. I actually think it made the whole thing so much more shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I do hope that whatever people's final opinions on the game be that Square Enix keeps this engine and uses it in some future titles. I absolutely love how combat functions in this game, especially in dungeons where "random encounters" feel very natural and interesting. The boss fights, levels and stuff...all the really core meat and potatoes gameplay mechanics work well.

The plot, I'm not decided yet. I'm pretty late in the game and it's...it's been just a doozy. In some ways I think I've liked the train sequences the best of them all so far. The game might actually do slightly better with linearity than it does with its open world.

EDIT: I'll say this, the most important element of the PLOT has thus far managed to work, despite basically every other element of the story falling short.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 4, 2016

• Locked thread