Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lucid Dream posted:

The large groups of guys don't bother me that much, I quickly learned to either hit them with spells or just not jump into the pile and let the split up a bit before engaging... but these level 47 assassins that started showing up are just miserable. They have gobs of health, my spells don't do enough damage to them, and if I try to engage in melee they literally incap me and my party in one hit. I just had a group drop on me and they incapped all 3 if my buddies in under 10 seconds and I just had to run away from the side quest I was on. Its like the game just occasionally walks by and slaps the controller out of my hand.

Eh, having high level mobs wandering around is a pretty common RPG thing. Mooost of the time you can avoid them and still accomplish your goal.

Like there's a level 50-something Midgardsormr down near an area where I had to hunt some level 20-something dudes, and to head to a required story quest, but it was really easy to just run past him.

Just gotta be observant and sneaky. And if you're really getting spanked, well, look at all the people in the thread complaining that they're way overleveled and its too easy. Go back to an earlier area and do some side-quests you skipped! A few levels makes a huge difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dr Pepper posted:

If your response to difficulty in a jrpg is to grind then you're bad fyi

I'm really good

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, having high level mobs wandering around is a pretty common RPG thing. Mooost of the time you can avoid them and still accomplish your goal.

Like there's a level 50-something Midgardsormr down near an area where I had to hunt some level 20-something dudes, and to head to a required story quest, but it was really easy to just run past him.

Just gotta be observant and sneaky. And if you're really getting spanked, well, look at all the people in the thread complaining that they're way overleveled and its too easy.

Again, I don't mind the large mobs in the world because you *can* avoid them, but these dropships just show up wherever they want, sometimes forcing me out of my car and sometimes showing up in the middle of a side quest. Sneaking around a big mob is fun, having to run away from your objective or fast travel away because the game decided to throw a bunch of bullshit on top of you just sucks.

Zaphod42 posted:

Go back to an earlier area and do some side-quests you skipped! A few levels makes a huge difference.
As far as I can tell, the dropships scale to your level. I'm running around doing the hunts and sidequests and the dropships just get nastier every time I gain a couple levels.

Edit: The only thing I can figure is that I'm overlevelled for my equipment. Maybe they're scaling the enemies up based on my level but because I'm not progressing the story much I'm not getting good enough equipment? I just don't know, because all the rest of the combat is super fun, but these high level assassins that drop out of the sky just suck to fight.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 2, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
What's the little meter at the bottom of the screen with the sword and heart icons?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

What's the little meter at the bottom of the screen with the sword and heart icons?

Those are your buffs from whatever food you ate.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Soul Glo posted:

Duration of your current food buffs

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
What the hell these level 24 Guachimera or whatever the hell hit like trucks and have a billion hp (I'm level 33)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ImpAtom posted:

I wish I could pay S-E and Nintendo to merge the two games together

Final Fantasy Snap

Wait, which two games did you say?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Let's get Kojima in the mix too, I mean why not.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lucid Dream posted:

Again, I don't mind the large mobs in the world because you *can* avoid them, but these dropships just show up wherever they want, sometimes forcing me out of my car and sometimes showing up in the middle of a side quest. Sneaking around a big mob is fun, having to run away from your objective or fast travel away because the game decided to throw a bunch of bullshit on top of you just sucks.

As far as I can tell, the dropships scale to your level. I'm running around doing the hunts and sidequests and the dropships just get nastier every time I gain a couple levels.

Edit: The only thing I can figure is that I'm overlevelled for my equipment. Maybe they're scaling the enemies up based on my level but because I'm not progressing the story much I'm not getting good enough equipment? I just don't know, because all the rest of the combat is super fun, but these high level assassins that drop out of the sky just suck to fight.

Yeah that is annoying. The party members will at least warn you when its happening, if you hear them and react you can usually get away before you agro.

I don't think they scale to your level, because I've run into some that are many levels below me. But its definitely not something I fully understand. I think its based on area but I dunno. Maybe its based on story/quest progression?

Yeah, maybe you just need to go find some much better weapons that match your level? :shrug:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am really enjoying FFXV, it has surpassed my expectations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

I am really enjoying FFXV, it has surpassed my expectations.

Same. It's got some wonky bits and pieces, and it's not alone at the top of its class, but by God they have so far put together something different, familiar, cool and above all fun. It's a massive game with a massive laundry list of features but it does feel at the very least that all of those features are intended for me, the player, to have fun with. Compared to FF13, where the player is a clear after thought, it's clear that at the very least they finally learned that lesson.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

I'm enjoying this game more than I thought I would too, after getting it on a whim thanks to a Cyber Monday PS4 bundle.

But man there's a lot of poo poo annoying me already (6 hours in). Battles with more than 4-5 enemies are just a clusterfuck where I can't really see what's happening. The random Magitek battles are annoying and sometimes there's like 3 of them chained together for some reason. Driving the car is boring and not fun and takes too long. Actually most things take too long because of the terrible loading times. Also the story is barely there and when it is I haven't found it interesting or compelling. The magic system also seems really limited and dull, I'm hoping it opens up somehow but from what I've read it sounds like it doesn't?

In general the combat is OK, but it feels weirdly disconnected from the action at times. Enemy tells can be very hard to spot, and the combos are difficult to get out in the way you want them as Noctis moves around. Personally I'd have much preferred tapping the buttons, holding them down for everything feels both more passive and less involving when compared to something like DMC; it just feels imprecise to me, like I'm lacking a bit of control. On the positive side, the monster designs are excellent so far, warp-strikes are fun, and the system rewards good positioning which makes for more interesting play. I suspect I'll start having more fun with it if I can unlock animation-cancelling abilites (I can do that right??).

In general the bits where I'm not just running through endless desert or sitting at loading screens are pretty OK, and it sure beats the poo poo out of FFXII and XIII which I hated. Not regretting my purchase, especially since I bought Bloodborne with the bundle too :v:

If The Last Guardian turns out OK too, this will be a landmark year for development-hell projects!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What does Prompto's camera in battle thing do? He seems to already take combat pictures.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Aphrodite posted:

What does Prompto's camera in battle thing do? He seems to already take combat pictures.

I believe that one is on command with the tech bar.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

If you haven't noticed already, killing enemies with blindside links, parry links or warp strikes gives you AP. You can one shot lower level packs with warp strikes if you want to grind some AP relatively quickly.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The plot and characters can be a bit...welll everybody knows everybody so nobody ever seems to get introduced, they just wander into the story and it's like "oh well now this is happening."

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
so

turns out that the car was a loving ruse boys, a goddamn misdirection from the actual core of the game

which is chocobos

let me tell you about chocobos in final fantasy fifteen

does seeing a monster or a dropship auto-dismount you from your brocobo? no, lads, it does not.
can your chocobro level up and get faster, jump higher, run longer, and change colors? sure can.
are you stuck holding R2 while your birdfriend automaps your destination based on the road? no, comrades. you are not.
can you engage in high-speed chocobo drifting well gently caress yes you can

this, final fantasy fifteen, is a game about chocobos and fishing, and if you don't know this already then please educate yourself

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So what does the reverse warping stuff mean they mentioned in the patch notes?

EDIT: Nvm it's when you use magic at close range. Noctis throws the bomb and warps away. Looks hella cool

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 2, 2016

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Casual reminder that you can shop while driving which is a good place to buy fishing gear and also a portable MP3 player that lets you listen to music while walking, which would be cooler if you weren't on Chocobos all the time listening to the best song in the game already

I love you chocobos

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Well poo poo, the game crashed. I think that's the first time a PS4 game has crashed on me. That sucks.

It was during the Deadeye hunt where they want you to blow up a bunch of barrels. Apparently all that fire blew up my system as well. :v:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Is there a reason you can hit the brakes of the car when not driving? Aside from the fact that Ignus' confused apology is hilarious.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

DalaranJ posted:

Is there a reason you can hit the brakes of the car when not driving? Aside from the fact that Ignus' confused apology is hilarious.

In case you suddenly see a sight you want to take in, I imagine.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

DalaranJ posted:

You can avoid random encounters with Daemons and Magiteks that spawn on the road.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Casual reminder that you can shop while driving which is a good place to buy fishing gear and also a portable MP3 player that lets you listen to music while walking, which would be cooler if you weren't on Chocobos all the time listening to the best song in the game already

I love you chocobos

My only regret is that I wish I could use the CD player on chocobros. As cool as the chocobo theme is, it does get old at times.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I love you chocobos

this is a man who has figured out what final fantasy fifteen is actually about

which is to say high speed chocobo drifting

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Same. It's got some wonky bits and pieces, and it's not alone at the top of its class, but by God they have so far put together something different, familiar, cool and above all fun. It's a massive game with a massive laundry list of features but it does feel at the very least that all of those features are intended for me, the player, to have fun with. Compared to FF13, where the player is a clear after thought, it's clear that at the very least they finally learned that lesson.

that's the sort of good edge to the double-sided desperation that FFXV reeks of

like, call me cynical, but my initial reaction to FFXV's delay was "they're adding a cash shop" (they did this with DXMD if I recall correctly), and my initial reaction to the FF7 remake was "this is to print some guaranteed money in the event FFXV fails" - the game feels so... important to Squeenix's bottom line? i guess? that certain things that would strike me as charming and awkward are instead kinda cringey, like the title placard about first-timers or whatever. yes, i know some of you like it and that's fine.

but yeah like, it seems like they really really wanted to make a game that people would like. you'd think that would be videogames 101 but i'd argue a large chunk of modern gaming releases are not built purely with you liking it in mind, especially prior entries in this same franchise. instead of trying to make a game that would have a main character who could appear in Vanity Fair to sell you a purse (despite literally being a rehash of a previous protagonist, only gender-swapped and given pink hair), they made a game about high speed chocobo drifting and air combos that look like the best anime battles and a living game world that's fun to hang around in

i'll defend FFXII 'til i die, it's near the top of the franchise to me (XII, Tactics, V, and VII, in some order), but that game came out ten loving years ago; like if you didn't like FFXII and don't play MMOs, the last final fantasy game you enjoyed was probably X and that was fifteen goddamn years ago

it's almost downright strange playing a final fantasy that was seemingly built with the only design goal being "make people loving like this game"

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
What's up with the warp tiles in Steyliff Grove? They're marked on the map but I can't seem to make htem actually do anything.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

anyone know how to do the dropkick? it's a dagger move maybe?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I still have no loving idea what I'm doing in combat but I just beat up Deadeye and that fight owned

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
This story makes no loving sense but I'm enjoying it a ton anyway.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

guts and bolts posted:

i'll defend FFXII 'til i die, it's near the top of the franchise to me (XII, Tactics, V, and VII, in some order), but that game came out ten loving years ago; like if you didn't like FFXII and don't play MMOs, the last final fantasy game you enjoyed was probably X and that was fifteen goddamn years ago

FFXII is probably the best game in the series but it was too ahead of its time for people to appreciate it. How that game got such a sour reaction from fans while simultaneously Xenoblade is heralded as one of the best JRPGs ever is insane to me.

But this game is great and I love it. I honestly think the rushed production to get the game out might have worked in it's favor, I really really like the hands-off approach to the story. FF13 spent the entire game explaining to me why I was supposed to feel for these characters and why I was supposed to like them, but they forgot to make them actually likeable. This game doesn't even loving tell you these other people are your friends, you just know they are because they're super cool. Collecting cool weapons being pretty much the driving plot point is cool and great and also fits nicely with what I wanna do as a player, reminds me of the things Egoraptor says in his Sequelitus videos about the player and character goals being the same thing. The game just isn't bogged down by the potential melodrama storm that most FF games succumb to and man this game is just fun. It's fun to play.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The story sort of makes sense but it's just so poorly told. The Titan sequence is like the framework of a good scene but holy poo poo was it clear they had like a couple of half-finished cutscenes and nothing else.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

FFXII is probably the best game in the series but it was too ahead of its time for people to appreciate it. How that game got such a sour reaction from fans while simultaneously Xenoblade is heralded as one of the best JRPGs ever is insane to me.

Well, for one, Xenoblade's combat system is infinitely better designed than FFXII's. FF12 wasn't at all 'ahead of its time.' It was an offline MMO but with an incredibly simple combat system that failed to really take advantage of the game's strongest features and which emphasized the weakest elements of the Gambit system. Likewise the story has a strong basic framework but spends way too long in telling itself and does a poor job of keeping the characters focused. (Something that, for all of FFXV's storytelling flaws, it doesn't do. If anything it's the opposite, the story barely exists and the Four Bros Roadtrip is the centerpiece of the story.) Xenoblade in comparison spends a lot of time focusing on the characters and their goals and plot.

FFXV is careful to avoid repeating FF12's flaws for the most part. It does allow the story to fall to the wayside but it does so by keeping the focus on Noctis and his buddies rather than just having nothing much happening. The actual JRPG plot is basically secondary in the player's mind to Noctis doing poo poo with his bros both in gameplay terms and in story terms. Which is arguably a flaw from a storytelling perspective but a better idea from a keeping-the-player-engaged perspective.

I also think a lot of people are basically willing to give FFXV kind of a pass on what should be some real critical flaws due to it being fun to play and its lengthy and troubled development being obvious and well-documented. The game is rough in a lot of ways but it's rough in ways where it is clear they were trying to focus on it being fun even though they had a lot of limits. I mean if you're being objective then FFXV has a laundry list of problems and its story is borderline disastrously poorly told. On the other hand you can drift a goddamn chocobo and Prompto's pictures are hilarious. That goes a long way.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 2, 2016

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

lets hang out posted:

anyone know how to do the dropkick? it's a dagger move maybe?

It's the end of the backwards attack string for daggers. Noct does a couple backflips, then starts flicking daggers at his target before warping in for a dropkick, for those that don't know. It's hella dope.

Daggers, by the way, are probably my favorite moveset, aside from how easy it is to wind up sliding endlessly in circles around enemies.

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 2, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I wish the game explained the different combos in game somewhere, like the delayed attack->giant roundswing on greatswords, I absolutely never would have worked that out if someone here hadn't posted about it

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

I wish the game explained the different combos in game somewhere, like the delayed attack->giant roundswing on greatswords, I absolutely never would have worked that out if someone here hadn't posted about it

I miss game manuals.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Car rides are really soothing and I find them a nice break to just lean back and soak it in.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Poops Mcgoots posted:

It's the end of the backwards attack string for daggers. Noct does a couple backflips, then starts flicking daggers at his target before warping in for a dropkick, for those that don't know. It's hella dope.

Daggers, by the way, are probably my favorite moveset, aside from how easy it is to wind up sliding endlessly in circles around enemies.

awesome, it even knocks robot soldiers into vulnerable state 100% of the time

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So what's the deal with Chapter 9? Can I not go back to go do poo poo unless I use the dog now? That whole thing was very confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Xenoblade at least looked interesting and had combat that didn't play itself, unlike Final Desert Fantasy 12.

• Locked thread