Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

quote:

Five female players from the World Cup-winning U.S. national team have accused the U.S. Soccer Federation of wage discrimination in an action filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Former Portland Thorns star Alex Morgan, Carli Lloyd, ex-University of Portland standout Megan Rapinoe, Becky Sauerbrunn and Hope Solo maintain in the EEOC filing they were paid nearly four times less than their male counterparts on the U.S. men's national team. The filing was announced Thursday in a statement from the law firm representing the players.

"The numbers speak for themselves," Solo said in a statement. "We are the best in the world, have three World Cup Championships, four Olympic Championships, and the USMNT get paid more just to show up than we get paid to win major championships."

The union representing the players is currently involved in a legal dispute with U.S. Soccer over the terms of their collective bargaining agreement. The federation filed a lawsuit this year seeking to clarify that its contract with the U.S. Women's National Soccer Team Players Association runs through the Rio Olympics until Dec. 31. The union maintains the memorandum of understanding agreed to in March 2013 can be terminated at any time.

Attorney Jeffrey Kessler, one of the attorneys representing the players, claimed that the tenor of the negotiations over the CBA created the need for the women to act in hopes of ending what they say is the "discriminatory and unfair treatment" they have endured for years.

"The reality is that this team is more valuable to the USSF than the men's team has been. That's what the facts show," Kessler said on a conference call with reporters. "And they would be justified in asking for more than the men are receiving. But the first step that they are seeking is equal treatment. That should be an easy step for the USSF to take."

U.S. Soccer issued a statement saying it had not seen this complaint and couldn't comment on specifics, but added it is "disappointed" with the action.

"We have been a world leader in women's soccer and are proud of the commitment we have made to building the women's game in the United States over the past 30 years," the statement said.

The top players on the women's team are paid about $72,000 a year by U.S. Soccer, along with bonuses, to play in a minimum of 20 exhibitions per year — a salary far less than the men, the complaint says. And unlike the men, they are awarded bonuses only if they win those matches, the complaint says.

Citing another example of the disparity, the complaint says that the women are paid $30,000 each for making the World Cup team, while the men are paid $68,750.

"There are no legitimate non-discriminatory reasons for this gross disparity of wages, nor can it be explained away by any bona fide seniority, merit or incentive system or any other factor other that sex," said the complaint, signed by four of the players on Tuesday.

The EEOC investigates claims of discrimination on merit. There is no timetable for resolution of the matter.

Many players on the national team have become increasingly vocal about gender equity in the sport, something that came to light in advance of last year's World Cup in Canada. A group of players led by Abby Wambach filed a complaint in Canada about the artificial turf playing surface, noting the men's World Cup is played on natural grass.

After the women won the World Cup with a 5-2 victory over Japan in the final, the turf issue arose again during a victory tour when a game in Hawaii was canceled because the artificial turf was deemed unsafe.

"This is a fight that we are going to have to continue to fight from here on forward," Solo said. I don't see it getting any easier, but it is something we are committed to. And it's not just in the sports world, it's everywhere you look."

Morgan said it wasn't only one factor that brought the players to file the complaint.

"It's the right step for us in moving forward with this team," she said.

The team, which has qualified for this summer's Olympics in Brazil, is currently in Florida training for a pair of exhibition games against Colombia.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland-thorns/2016/03/uswnt_players_accuse_us_soccer.html

Can't believe they make 4x less than the men, it should be 40x less. Judge should have them play a match vs. the US men and for each goal the men score the womens pay decreases by 10%. They would lose by like a hundred goals. These broads are really bad at soccer.

Thoughts on all this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
my thoughts are i dont want to discuss this with you op!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
This is interesting because I didn't know national teams paid the players at all. You should play for your country for free and let FIFA hand out prizes for doing well if they desperately need money.

The women's game is fundamentally different than the mens game in terms of national teams, at least in the US it seems. Really they should just bring down the mens salaries if they want everything to be equal.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

This is interesting because I didn't know national teams paid the players at all. You should play for your country for free and let FIFA hand out prizes for doing well if they desperately need money.

The women's game is fundamentally different than the mens game in terms of national teams, at least in the US it seems. Really they should just bring down the mens salaries if they want everything to be equal.

For most countries this would be ridiculous, but I could believe the US womens team actually does generate as much cash as then mens

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

peanut- posted:

For most countries this would be ridiculous, but I could believe the US womens team actually does generate as much cash as then mens

Maybe for friendlies but the mens world cup generates a zillion dollars more than the womens. I'm not a lawyer but these gals must not have a good case if they have to have their lawyer talking up the case to reporters.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

They should get the same pay as the men.

It should be zero dollars. Play for your national team or don't. I'd play for Mexico for free, and I might be better than Rafa Marquez at this point.

peanut- posted:

Not even close. Univision for example pays good money to televise US matches but only for the men. The last deal negotiated between the MLS, US Soccer and Univision, ESPN, and Fox Sports was something pretty nuts like 90 Million a year, for Univision this included a lot of MLS games, All of the U.S. Men's National Team games and a piddling 4 U.S. Women's Team Matches. The women's game just isn't as marketable outside of the U.S. and it's hard to claim you're being unduly discriminated against when there are such strong economic incentives to paying men piles of money.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 31, 2016

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

They should get the same pay as the men.

It should be zero dollars. Play for your national team or don't. I'd play for Mexico for free, and I might be better than Rafa Marquez at this point.

So corrupt federation heads should just get all the ad money and ticket revenue while the players play for free?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

iirc england players get some nominal fee (something like £1k per game) which they donate to charity, i'm not sure if there's an employment law reason behind that or if it's something else

has the women's MLS gone bankrupt again yet?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

So corrupt federation heads should just get all the ad money and ticket revenue while the players play for free?

Yeah, because football is dead anyway and then I wouldn't have to read 1000 delusional think pieces about why Alex Morgan should get paid as much as Messi

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

I hadn't thought of this, ideally the clubs should get paid for getting their players taken away, and they can do what they want with the money, such as pay the player a bonus or spend it on hookers and cocaine for the president.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The USSF(who pays the men and women) also has total control of the NWSL so maybe the women should factor in the salaries they're being paid in that league, which is totally unsustainable without USSF money, into their US Soccer salaries as well.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

I hadn't thought of this, ideally the clubs should get paid for getting their players taken away, and they can do what they want with the money, such as pay the player a bonus or spend it on hookers and cocaine for the president.

Thats a solid idea. The whole thing is a huge scam like the NCAA. The players should boycott and start their own world cup and keep 100% of the revenues

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Gigi Galli posted:

That is what happens - in UEFA when a player get called up for a qualifying match, their club gets something like 5k. Sometimes it's in the player's contract that he'll get all of it, sometimes the club will get it all. And usually there is some sort of an agreement between the FA and the players to share prize money.

I'm not sure if I remember it correctly but I kind of remember the Estonian FA president bragging about how Estonia is the only team in Europe where the players don't get paid by the federation.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

"Reached for comment in Seattle, American goalkeeper Hope Solo said she is "torn up" over the news, adding that there has been a "gaping chasm" in negotiations between the two groups and she expects the defendants to be "blown out" in court."

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

"Reached for comment in Seattle, American goalkeeper Hope Solo said she is "torn up" over the news, adding that there has been a "gaping chasm" in negotiations between the two groups and she expects the defendants to be "blown out" in court."

Hahahahaha

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
How many posts in the Women's World Cup thread from last summer were basically just laughing at how bad the majority of the play was? Were any of the stadiums sold out for the USWNT's matches besides the final?

I'm definitely not of the opinion that women deserve getting paid 25% of what men earn just because they're women, that it's OK for them to play on artificial turf when men don't, or that they should wear shorter shorts. I am, however, of the opinion that equal work should get equal pay, and I can say for sure that USA v Japan was nowhere near the level that Germany v Argentina was. If the women really want to prove a point then they should take on the men's team and win.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The women routinely lose to U-16 boys teams, by 5 goals.

Not the U-16 National Team, regional teams.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shrapnig posted:

The women routinely lose to U-16 boys teams, by 5 goals.

Not the U-16 National Team, regional teams.

Any links for this? The only one I remember is when the USWNT played the U17 or something and got destroyed. I don't think I've heard of any others and I've love to do some lulz.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

Any links for this? The only one I remember is when the USWNT played the U17 or something and got destroyed. I don't think I've heard of any others and I've love to do some lulz.

BigSoccer thread, you've been warned.

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/uswnt-vs-so-cal-boys-odp.929075/

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

jyrka posted:

That is what happens - in UEFA when a player get called up for a qualifying match, their club gets something like 5k. Sometimes it's in the player's contract that he'll get all of it, sometimes the club will get it all. And usually there is some sort of an agreement between the FA and the players to share prize money.

I'm not sure if I remember it correctly but I kind of remember the Estonian FA president bragging about how Estonia is the only team in Europe where the players don't get paid by the federation.

I've learned many things today. Thanks.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

One of my favorite quotes from Big Soccer came from a thread about the USWNT playing against the U17 mens team.

quote:

Does anyone else find it creepy that 30 year old women are playing against 14 year old boys (under 15) ???

Some of those young teenage boys are fantasizing about those women in their dreams before and after playing against them.

I just don't think this is right.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

trem_two posted:

One of my favorite quotes from Big Soccer came from a thread about the USWNT playing against the U17 mens team.

lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

trem_two posted:

This is one of my favorite quotes of all time.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

An entire team of 14 year old boys with boners playing against the women's national team and winning 11-0

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I'd like to see them play the 45 year old Guatemalan shitkickers down at my local park.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

The women's team should just replace the USMNT in WQ qualifying and take their money. Problem solved. :colbert:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
thanks to this thread i just found out that women play the sport. thanks for this, op

what an age to be alive

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Paddyb posted:

I'd like to see them play the 45 year old Guatemalan shitkickers down at my local park.

Actually Carlos Ruiz scored against the men last week.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

An entire team of 14 year old boys with boners playing against the women's national team and winning 11-0
It means the oxygen is flowing faster, so if you think about it boners are like PED's.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

"Yes this should fit up there no problem"

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
The womens team took a projected net loss in 2015 for all of US soccer to a 17 million dollar profit because of winning the world cup. They are also projected to net 5 million dollars in 2016 while the mens team is projected to lose 1 million dollars.

I don't see why they shouldn't be paid more in the slightest. Don't their husbands deserve to eat better?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Crunkjuice posted:

The womens team took a projected net loss in 2015 for all of US soccer to a 17 million dollar profit because of winning the world cup. They are also projected to net 5 million dollars in 2016 while the mens team is projected to lose 1 million dollars.

I don't see why they shouldn't be paid more in the slightest. Don't their husbands deserve to eat better?

Depends on whether you can make a nicer type of soup to eat through that broken jaw

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Byolante posted:

Depends on whether you can make a nicer type of soup to eat through that broken jaw

Lol, like thats the cavernous hole she eats with

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
No one gives a poo poo about women's sports and there's no money to be made there and that's why they get paid less than the men.

Case closed.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
btw I'm watching a replay of the winter x games on espn and the men can jump like 10 feet higher than the women on the halfpipe lol

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Crunkjuice posted:

And what do they generate outside of world cup winning years?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

And what do they generate outside of world cup winning years?

More respect for USA soccer than the men's team, thats for drat sure. They at least know how to win a world cup.

Crunkjuice fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 1, 2016

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
anyone know where I can find a bunch of white male opinions on this news story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Crunkjuice posted:

More respect for USA soccer than the men's team, thats for drat sure. They at least know how to win a world cup.

If it wasnt clear, I was referring to money. Lets not become emotional like women. For example, this is interesting:

quote:

For the U.S. national team's stunning 5-2 win over Japan at the Women's World Cup on Sunday, a rout that made the Americans the first team ever to win three world championships, soccer's global governing body will award the team $2 million — about 5 percent of the $35 million FIFA gave to the German victors of last year's World Cup.

And while viewers made the Sunday match by far the most-watched soccer game in American TV history, little of that excitement could be seen in the tourney's marketing deals. Fox grabbed an estimated $17 million in ads from corporate sponsors of the elite women's matches — a tiny fraction compared to the $529 million ESPN pocketed in sponsorship revenue from last year's tournament in Brazil.

Seems like they just generate way less money overall. Seems like the women's beef is that globally the market values men's sports much more. There is also nothing preventing a woman from playing on a mens team if they're good enough. This lawsuit has no merit. If I was a judge I'd say, case closed. And hit the little hammer thingy on the piece of wood.

• Locked thread