Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Fansy posted:

anyone know where I can find a bunch of white male opinions on this news story

So women want equality when it benefits them (pay), but segregation when it also benefits them (women's teams), is that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Fansy posted:

anyone know where I can find a bunch of white male opinions on this news story

Haha "white male". Classic joke there!

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax
what difference does it make, ten years from now the WWC will be played entirely by bruce jenners anyway

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

ronniegardocki posted:

what difference does it make, ten years from now the WWC will be played entirely by bruce jenners anyway

Yes, by beautiful strong women. What's wrong with that?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
open the mens team to women, problem solved

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Fauxtool posted:

open the mens team to women, problem solved

i'm pretty sure it already is

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ronniegardocki posted:

so where are the women on the team?

I feel like they are just making noise and hoping someone says something stupid so they can be outraged and win public support. Its hard to find many strong arguments in their favor

African AIDS cum posted:

So women want equality when it benefits them (pay), but segregation when it also benefits them (women's teams), is that right?

I think they might be trying to make the case they are actually worth more. Too bad they arent when it comes to actual revenue.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 1, 2016

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

ronniegardocki posted:

I don't think it is. I've never seen a female player on a team in a league pyramid. Yes, they aren't as good as nearly any adult man but at lower levels teams aren't necessarily put together based on merit. American "co-ed" poo poo doesn't count, I'm talking about teams that if they won promotion 8 years in a row, would play in, say, Serie A.

jyrka fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 1, 2016

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I think Palermo or one of the other southern teams attempted to sign a woman defender from Germany once but nothing came of it. I wish I could find a link because the president kept asking "why not?" And nobody could give him a straight answer.

I also have a question, if the women's team generated 17 million for the ussf, why weren't they given a piece of that? That actually does seem unfair seeing that the men generated a loss and still got paid. Like shrap said, did the money get put in to the NWSL?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Very interesting case. I think we've got the right balance in the uk with the fa giving out central contracts of up to £20k which puts women at about league 1 level. They are also free to help out behind the bar at half time for pin money, and secure endorsements. The best paid British player is the blonde with the ruinously strong jaw who captains man city and England. She earns £65k.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
If I correctly remember the events that happened in Cologne on new years eve, then there are no women defenders in Germany.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

ephex posted:

If I correctly remember the events that happened in Cologne on new years eve, then there are no women defenders in Germany.

:newlol:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

ephex posted:

the sort of post only a german could make

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Crunkjuice posted:

The womens team took a projected net loss in 2015 for all of US soccer to a 17 million dollar profit because of winning the world cup. They are also projected to net 5 million dollars in 2016 while the mens team is projected to lose 1 million dollars.

I don't see why they shouldn't be paid more in the slightest. Don't their husbands deserve to eat better?

Where do these numbers come from? What's considered revenue earned by the respective teams and what isn't? How are TV rights accounted for? Endorsements? How does winning the World Cup, with reported prize money of a couple of million, suddenly turn into a 17 million dollar profit? It just doesn't seem to add up at first glance. If these women are in fact single handedly carrying US Soccer to financial solvency than they do in fact have a strong case and should be getting paid more. It certainly isn't impossible but I'd love to see how someone arrived at those figures.

EDIT: Wait, doesn't Don Garber basically run a whole other company to collectively market MLS and US Soccer obfuscating as much as loving possible? Like he has an incredibly fitting MLS type multi level marketing scheme where this company keeps all the money and then at some point gives back some amount to US Soccer, but no one gets to know how much it actually keeps? Wouldn't that make it practically impossible to realistically claim US Soccer loses money any given year, if some massive untold number of millions gets kept by Don Garber in a scrooge mcduck like vault for the inevitable day when MLS implodes under the weight of his sheer incompetence?

EDIT 2: LMAO it was worse than I remember.

http://interactive.nydailynews.com/2016/03/how-us-soccer-mistreats-world-cup-winning-womens-national-team/

quote:

Financial statements ending in March 2015, the most recent available, show that SUM paid a total of $18.3 million to US Soccer. What is not indicated is how much of US Soccer’s potential revenue SUM retains. For example, of the eight-year, $720 million broadcast deal SUM recently inked for MLS and national team games, neither SUM nor US Soccer publicly discloses how much makes its way back to the federation.

Also your figures are apparently pulled from thin air.

quote:

US Soccer doesn’t break out how much money it makes from the WNT’s sponsorships and endorsement deals — money that flows initially into SUM — it’s impossible for the women to demonstrate how much revenue they generate for the organization and, therefore, argue that they deserve the same compensation and support that the men’s national team receives.

So the women could be worth lots of money, or they could be worth piss, we have no idea because Don Garber is playing a loving shell game with millions of dollars.

Oh man, the more I learn about this dumpster fire of a league, hahahahahahaha

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 1, 2016

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
US Soccer owns

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

ephex posted:

lmao

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

also of note- the NWSL, aka Girl MLS, hires amateur players to be placeholders for national team players during WC, Olympics, etc.
the women's league is so goddamn poor that their minimum salary is just under 7k with the highest earners getting 37,800/yr
National team players are paid by USSF, but yeah. Not even livable wages.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
tourney

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Show me pictures of the WNT playing a boys youth team and losing. Not the under 20's, not the under 17,s. THE WNT. Show me proof. PICTURES? VIDEO?

My point is there aren't any, because it is all BS. The real WNT would crush ANY boys high school team or ANY boys club team.

********ing pictures or video...

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Anyone know how much the players in the women's premier league get paid? Just because a league exists doesn't mean it's any good, which could explain the ridiculous pay in the NWSL.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Gigi Galli posted:

Anyone know how much the players in the women's premier league get paid? Just because a league exists doesn't mean it's any good, which could explain the ridiculous pay in the NWSL.

Figures are here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770488&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post458145132

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'll take a look at their figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die