Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

They should get the same pay as the men.

It should be zero dollars. Play for your national team or don't. I'd play for Mexico for free, and I might be better than Rafa Marquez at this point.

peanut- posted:

For most countries this would be ridiculous, but I could believe the US womens team actually does generate as much cash as then mens

Not even close. Univision for example pays good money to televise US matches but only for the men. The last deal negotiated between the MLS, US Soccer and Univision, ESPN, and Fox Sports was something pretty nuts like 90 Million a year, for Univision this included a lot of MLS games, All of the U.S. Men's National Team games and a piddling 4 U.S. Women's Team Matches. The women's game just isn't as marketable outside of the U.S. and it's hard to claim you're being unduly discriminated against when there are such strong economic incentives to paying men piles of money.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

So corrupt federation heads should just get all the ad money and ticket revenue while the players play for free?

Yeah, because football is dead anyway and then I wouldn't have to read 1000 delusional think pieces about why Alex Morgan should get paid as much as Messi

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Crunkjuice posted:

The womens team took a projected net loss in 2015 for all of US soccer to a 17 million dollar profit because of winning the world cup. They are also projected to net 5 million dollars in 2016 while the mens team is projected to lose 1 million dollars.

I don't see why they shouldn't be paid more in the slightest. Don't their husbands deserve to eat better?

Where do these numbers come from? What's considered revenue earned by the respective teams and what isn't? How are TV rights accounted for? Endorsements? How does winning the World Cup, with reported prize money of a couple of million, suddenly turn into a 17 million dollar profit? It just doesn't seem to add up at first glance. If these women are in fact single handedly carrying US Soccer to financial solvency than they do in fact have a strong case and should be getting paid more. It certainly isn't impossible but I'd love to see how someone arrived at those figures.

EDIT: Wait, doesn't Don Garber basically run a whole other company to collectively market MLS and US Soccer obfuscating as much as loving possible? Like he has an incredibly fitting MLS type multi level marketing scheme where this company keeps all the money and then at some point gives back some amount to US Soccer, but no one gets to know how much it actually keeps? Wouldn't that make it practically impossible to realistically claim US Soccer loses money any given year, if some massive untold number of millions gets kept by Don Garber in a scrooge mcduck like vault for the inevitable day when MLS implodes under the weight of his sheer incompetence?

EDIT 2: LMAO it was worse than I remember.

http://interactive.nydailynews.com/2016/03/how-us-soccer-mistreats-world-cup-winning-womens-national-team/

quote:

Financial statements ending in March 2015, the most recent available, show that SUM paid a total of $18.3 million to US Soccer. What is not indicated is how much of US Soccer’s potential revenue SUM retains. For example, of the eight-year, $720 million broadcast deal SUM recently inked for MLS and national team games, neither SUM nor US Soccer publicly discloses how much makes its way back to the federation.

Also your figures are apparently pulled from thin air.

quote:

US Soccer doesn’t break out how much money it makes from the WNT’s sponsorships and endorsement deals — money that flows initially into SUM — it’s impossible for the women to demonstrate how much revenue they generate for the organization and, therefore, argue that they deserve the same compensation and support that the men’s national team receives.

So the women could be worth lots of money, or they could be worth piss, we have no idea because Don Garber is playing a loving shell game with millions of dollars.

Oh man, the more I learn about this dumpster fire of a league, hahahahahahaha

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 1, 2016

• Locked thread