Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

StoicFnord posted:

There's making a joke in poor taste, and there's this.

Its okay to be critical of the Government and Policies of Israel. But when you step into suggestions of repatriating the entire lot. That shows a remarkable lack of tact.

FFS, The left is getting belted on "antisemitism" daily. Its not rocket surgery for her to clean up her social media. Its not rocket surgery for due diligence on selected candidates. This is amateur hour stuff, and he political career is a car wreck, all because of a "joke".

Shah has been suspended for something she said two years ago and has apologised for. I think the baying for blood has been slightly extreme but fair enough, she's going to have to face her punishment.

Meanwhile Zac goldsmith can basically call his Muslim opponent an extremist and then get Cameron to repeat his claims in Parliament. Boris Johnson can get away with saying Obama's talking about Brexit because he has Kenyan roots. Fat oval office Pickles can say that Muslims have to prove their loyalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

pointsofdata posted:

I'd kinda like labour to have higher standards than the Tories about this sort of stuff. Also zac and bojo's comments haven't exactly won them many fans!

I'd rather our media hold politicians to account across the board... The noise around Shah has been deafening from media. I want to see this whenever there's racism from politicians.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

There's no real evidence that Hitler ordered the mass execution of Jewish people. He didn't like to leave a paper trail.

Ken didn't say Hitler didn't kill six million Jews. He explicitly said that Hitler killed six million Jews. He didn't say it wasn't Hitler's fault. He made a lovely comparison that's got him rightly in hot water and the whole situation is a bit ridiculous.

Meanwhile, we have poo poo like Prevent targeting Muslim schoolchildren; the press talking about shady Muslims trying to impose Halal slaughter on our innocent white kids; a potential Mayor of London who happens to be a Muslim and despite his obsequious pleasantness to everyone is still basically a terrorist in disguise; a sitting MP who might one day lead the Tories saying that Obama wants to undermine Britian because he's got African roots; a Prime Minister who repeats unfounded and probably racist allegations in parliament with impunity etc etc.

But no, I think our efforts should be focused on making sure that someone who has made by all accounts a sincere apology and an Old Labour crank who clearly does not hate Jews pay. Possibly with their lives. I'd love for this to turn into a wider examination of racist discourse endemic in our politics but HO HUM.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

Is Ken still in the toilet?

It's pretty much where his career is.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

Pretty sure Nick Cohen is on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Hi Twitter stream is basically one long spiral of (more than usual) aggressive self-pity.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

When I was at university, an older mate of my housemate took me aside all fatherly-like and told me "you want to look out for them" - nodding towards my stereotypically Jewish-looking study partner - "they look after their own". Joke's on him, I'm Jewish too!

Islamophobia is more prevalent at the moment for obvious reasons, and it takes more obvious forms ("loving Muslims coming over here raping our girls", etc) but antisemitism is arguably more insidious because it's just so entrenched and accepted. Ask most people what they know about Jews and you'll hear how they're very good at business, careful with money, etc, which people will tell you are compliments but are actually just modern palatable versions of centuries-old Jewish stereotypes - Jews take over all the businesses, Jews run the media, Jews are stingy, Jews only help themselves or each other and so on.

There has never not been a time in the UK where Antimuslimism wasn't an issue.

If you want to talk insidious, you'll have more trouble with Abdullah or Farooq on your CV than Benjamin or David.

If you're a white Muslim, like I am, you can see just how insidious it is, because people don't assume you're Muslim. Eg paintballing in Birmingham being casually told that a lot of Muslims just aren't team players like 'us'. You see assumptions that Muslims are violent. That they are poorly educated. That they don't wash and are dirty. That Islam is foreign and not British.

What made this most prevalent for me is when the entire family of a Jewish friend of mine from school (originally from Iraq) changed their name to sound more Jewish because of the racism they faced with a Muslim name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

Chucklevision: Jihad edition

Sounds like a blast.

• Locked thread