Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Not Operator posted:

30 is the atomic number for zinc. Isn't that special?

Oak trees have a type of parasite, gall wasps, who mess with the growing structure of the tree to provide a cocoon and food for their young by manipulating the tree to grow a gall- an oak tree might have 30 or 40 different kinds growing on it. Of course, evolution provides a parasite on a parasite- wasps that drill into galls to inject their own eggs which will eat the original host. One particular species totes a drill/ovipositor that's the length of its own body, and tipped with zinc for hardness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

7% more doctors were working that day compared with the lowest turnout on strike days, of a figure that includes non union doctors and docs doing emergency care who are exempted from it.

This isn't a demonstration of public support changing or support within the unions, it's a hit piece by a tory rag based on lovely figures.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Guavanaut posted:

Oak galls also used to be used for making ink by making iron salts with them, but it's pretty acidic so it eats through paper eventually.

And now I have a project for the summer!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

dispatch_async posted:

Yes, I was replying to the "hindered by the media" bit. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Yeah, on a reread that's a lot clearer, I'm gonna blame my brain getting used to reading the forums on a phone (while sat on the lav, isn't the 21st century beautiful)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Bedshaped posted:

Fascists are usually working-class folks who are acting out at perceived affronts to their advancement and happiness in life.

Uh huh.

Bedshaped posted:

I wouldn't want to kick someone in the head for being ignorant or stupid.

Right. Especially if they are made out of straw. Would feel strange.

Bedshaped posted:

Especially since that person is someone who this thread claims to want to protect and elevate.

I'm gonna need a source on this thread wanting to protect and elevate fash. And a quiet lay down with a valium.

Bedshaped posted:

You'd have to be seriously stupid if you went to a protest rally to seek out violence.

Why? Plenty of it around at such events, especially if the police show up, almost as good a place as the high street on a saturday night in *insert your home town here*.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Bedshaped posted:

Fash protestors are poor people.

So are some tories. So are some kippers. So I'm guessing that's a no, you can't back it up.

Bedshaped posted:

Because it's not right.

Oh diddums! It's WRONG to want to violently oppose fash, and we should just tut loudly from behind the pages of the graun while they deliberately seek out those who can't defend themselves!

DesperateDan posted:

You

can't

reason

with

hatred

and

calls

for

genocide

it

doesn't

loving

work

direct

action

is

a

valid

tactic

you

loving

liberals

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Tigey posted:

This is a legitimate criticism

You saying it's legitimate criticism does not suddenly make it so, if you feel it is legitimate then perhaps you could make some cogent points to support the view that beating the poo poo out of fash to stop them attacking minority groups is a bad thing.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Tigey posted:

See above.

No, see what you did there was make up a nasty boogeyman antifa (I bet your mental image wore a super scary mask!) with which to paint a whole group, after conceding that self defence and defence of others from fash- using violence if necessary- is legitimate.

If fash organise to march through a city, do you expect the defence of that city to just spontaneously happen, for people to just happen to be standing around ready for a group of tooled up neo-nazis, or is some level of organisation allowed before you end up with groups of fash swarming small groups? Because if you are allowing some organisation, and agree that they must be stopped using violence if necessary, then where are you really going from here? That it's okay to bash a fash, just feel bad about it afterwards?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Bedshaped posted:

I don't see how you are going to bring your average schlub over to your side when the 'good guys' look like this:

I'm fairly sure you prefer your street gangs in snazzy matching uniforms by hugo boss

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Guavanaut posted:

Is brexit really looking likely? All the odds are against it. I get that all that means is that more people are putting money on stay, plus or minus what analysis they do, but the Leave side is usually more vocal about these things, so it's still pointing to Remain.

My incredibly well resourced polling data seems to point to three main categories of potential ref voters-

1: People who really really loving hate the EU because it causes muslims, gays and cancer and straight cucumbers and other perversions
2: People who really don't give a gently caress about the EU either way and would probably just accept the status quo
3: People who really loving love the EU and don't even smother their croissants with butter and jam

Now group 2 is by far the largest, but their likelihood of them turning out to vote is far less (according to my rigorous polling data) than the super motivated fucknuggets in group 1. Group 3 is small.

I can easily see the remain camp sleepwalking into an exit simply by remaining as incompetent as they already have been, with the group 2's just not bothering to go vote in large numbers. The steady tabloid drip feeding of bullshit blaming the EU for so many ills has permeated the loving consciousness of some elements of this nation to an extent I can see an exit happening.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

winegums posted:

Notably you've said very little about group 3, because they don't exist. The Tories have utterly failed to make a positive case for the EU. Perhaps because the benefits they see and the things they want differ so much from the wants and needs of the average human.

They do exist, there are just only a few of them. My brother, who spends more than half his time out in Spain is one of them- I asked him about his fears of brexit and he just kinda went :unsmith: and said "well, another year or so and I can apply for spanish citizenship".

But yeah, the tory campaign to remain, and the remain campaign altogether has been utter, utter shite, and I'm really starting to think an exit vote would happen. Whether that would be allowed to happen remains to be seen but a refusal could see some widespread disorder and the accelerationist part of me is all :getin: over that prospect. The rest of me is suddenly tempted to see if my brother getting Spanish citizenship would help me move there :(

Fans posted:

I want a UKMT approved list of insults. I'll add in "Pig Fucker" to get the ball ham rolling.

Trot.
Tory.
Pissflaps lover.
Someone who puts milk in before the hot water.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Pissflaps posted:

I'm very lovable.

When you come back to your best material-

Pissflaps posted:

This is bad for Corbyn

You are as loveable as a hot steaky bake on a cold winter elevenses

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Megaspel posted:

I know this is a couple pages back, but this has brought up a concerning issue for me. What is the optimal way to make coffee/tea?

For tea I like either assam, pg tips or Yorkshire tea. The water should have just come off the boil, poured into a mug with the teabag and sugar. Stir the poo poo out of it then leave the drat spoon out so the bag can circulate. Wait till it comes to rest and restir the poo poo out of it, leave for 2 minutes or so. Squeeze the teabag hard, discard. I don't have milk normally but I have about a teaspoon of lemon juice, but otherwise just enough milk to change the colour of the tea to a deep brown is just right.

Coffee I have through a bialetti stove top espresso that gives me insanity strength coffee every morning. Sometimes if I have it later in the day or I am making coffee for more than me then I get out the french press. I take it black no sugar that's a total lie, cream and sugar

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The idea of anything sexual regarding Gove is terrifying.

I think his wife wrote an article saying he was a two pump chump

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Lidl used to do a £1.20 "wine" that tasted like cheap grape juice and was 0.5% more alcoholic per ml than Lidl lager. It's still the only wine I've ever paid money for.

Using some wilkos brewing equipment, cheap apple juice, sugar and water I made a batch of turbo cider thats around 15%+ for about 16p per pint

Turbo vimto and turbo rio are currently brewing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Jose posted:

you should watch the recent vice video of headcam footage of ISIS fighting. it turns out 4 lions was a documentary

Pissflaps is our own Abu Hajaar

Not in like a jihad type way though ghcq though you never know lads

• Locked thread