Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The month of jibes and japes is upon us again, and with it comes a new chat thread! This month's thread is quite appropriately themed after comics comedy. What was your favorite comedic issue or run of a superhero comic? What is your favorite wacky creator-owned work? How much more interesting than The Joker is almost every single other comedy-themed villain? This and many more topics are welcome here in the April chat thread! Leave the dour taste of March behind and step towards spring with me!

For the record, my favorite comedy series is Tales Designed to Thrizzle by Michael Kupperman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've never read any of it before. Is that strip representative of the style? Are there ever any longer stories?

Most stories are 1-2 pages long, but recurring characters do appear in continuing adventures, and sometimes there are longer stories, like Jungle Princess In The City:

The main thing with Kupperman is that he reappropriates older art into his compositions and turns it humorous.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dr. Hurt posted:

HA HA HA HA HAAAA! ALL FOR ME! ALL FOR PAGUS!

How ironic!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Madkal posted:

The only goons that confuse me are Lurdiak and Rhyno. Like, I know who the regulars are but every time there is an avatar change I think our dwindling community has grown a bit.

Speaking of which, I am far to used to Rhyno's avatar. It is throwing me off now that it hasn't changed recently.

Man, don't remind me.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Both volumes of Tales Designed to Thrizzle are actually part of the fantagraphics comedy sale on comixology today.

That is a pro purchase.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'd buy them, but...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teen Titans is the worst comic series of all time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teen Titans has a head start since it's been terrible for so long.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's not like CPS picks up kids on a whim. It must've been fairly serious.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

It's because if you introduce yourself as Mohamed bin Salal rather than Major Salal the assumptions immediately made are that you're Muslim and Arab - not that you earned and hold a specific position in the military.

Man, gently caress military people, thinking their titles are so precious. I'm naming my kid Doctor General.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jackie Chan's niece?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In the silver age of BSS they tried to replace CapnAndy with me and the fans revolted, and ever since I only ever get mentioned in Howard The Duck as a joke.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dr. Hurt posted:

Don't worry. Warren Ellis will write a revival series about you in about four years. It'll be critically acclaimed but will still get canceled in six issues (or when Ellis gets bored, which is still six issues).

"My hard driiiiiiive"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1CN6ZKezhc

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wickedhate has brain problems that cause her to get in really stupid arguments. It's possible her condition and how it's portrayed in the media gives her a perspective on traditionally maligned states of mind, which contributes to all her arguments about pedophilia.

Being a teenager can't be helping.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Everyone under 25 is a teenager to me...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Reggie Hudlin did a lot of damage to the character and his bad books are what most people know of the character in the modern day, sadly. Wasn't that BET show based on his run? It makes sense that people feel like the character's "never been good" if that's all they've seen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

I don't remember the Hudlin run very well but isn't it a mixed bag? And I think so yeah.

I mean it's not the worst thing ever but it was very juvenile and Panther came across like a huge rear end in a top hat most of the time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This amuses me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What happened was that the writers changed from the very talented but easily bored Warren Ellis to Mark "booby-trapped womb" Millar.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's really hard to believe Mark Millar managed to write Red Son and his FF run when you read some of his other work. I don't understand why he constantly gravitates to garbage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

They did that once and now she has her own show on CBS.

Supergirl is the thigh gap one, the tits one is Power Girl.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Isn't Superman the one superhero Ennis really likes?

Claims to.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah I can't really blame a guy for being pissed that one single genre still has such a stranglehold on the market to the extent that pretty much anyone who wants to make a living in comics has to write for that genre at some point to pay the bills.

I don't mind that he doesn't like superhero comics, I just wish he'd stop writing about it. I think everyone got the point the first time he made Punisher murder every single superhero and supervillain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If he actually had something to say other than calling all superheroes faggots it might not be so dull to read. Alan Moore made a whole comic about superheroes being bad, it was pretty good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't think Millar hates superheroes, I think he hates people who read his comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Canada is the worst because our waiters make living wages but we still have American tipping culture. :( My walleeeeett!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Not in Quebec!

Here tip based jobs make 15% less.

Gross.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Learn to loving cook?

"These prices are certainly high"

"LEARN TO COOK YOU PIECE OF poo poo" *flips table*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Luckily there's quite a few older runs that are worth checking out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FutureFriend posted:

i'm usually not a big fan of the writing style of older comics, but i could give it a shot. what are some good runs?

Peter David's run is probably a good place to start, and it's not even that old! It's collected in the Hulk Visionaries: Peter David volumes. You could follow that up with the Paul Jenkins run, if you want. Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was partly based on that run.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

If you can't afford to tip you can't afford to eat out.. Is Canadian math so bad that you can't factor in a decent tip when you're planning how much a night out will cost you?

I just intimated that high prices deriving from high wages plus tips can mean a night out is expensive, I don't know why you're treating that as an invitation to assume that I go to restaurants and stare at the bill in confusion and leave without tipping.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The real question is if he puts ketchup on his hot-dogs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

I stand with Rhyno on this. :colbert:

I do it too, but only on certain cuts. I'm not gonna put ketchup on some 60 dollar filet mignon.

The real contentious issue is that I like my steaks well-done or medium well. :getin:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My grandma puts ketchup on poutine, which makes about as much sense to me as putting gravy on pizza.

CapnAndy posted:

Well at least your crimes against humanity explain each other.

Stop burning your loving steaks and you won't need ketchup to cover the charcoal flavor :eng101:

If you learned to actually cook your steak all the way instead of giving up halfway through you might realize there are vistas of flavors beyond the dull taste of cow blood.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Batman v Superman would've been better if the conflict was motivated by dietary choices.

"DOES YOUR STEAK BLEED?"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Don't be foolish now, Chicago has the best hot dogs

I don't get how in some parts of the US the thickness of milkshakes is something to brag about. That just makes it harder to drink. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've reached a point in my life where I'm listening to Journey unironically.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Canada has Rush, what the gently caress does America have? That Elvayse guy or whoever? Pffff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I bet the US doesn't even have any punk artists that are as creative and raw as Avril Lavigne.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'd make a post where I pretend I like Nickelback but that's too far even for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpE6ZNo1Duk

• Locked thread