Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

According to multiple sources Sony is preparing to release a 4k version of the ps4 with a gpu that is "twice as powerful". Supposedly coming out for this holiday season and will share its catalogue with the vanilla ps4 but the games will be downscaled or some poo poo on the older console. Is this a huge mistake? Will anyone even buy it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

it seems stupid of them to release another version of the system considering how well its already selling. "if it ain't broke.." etc

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i rather sit at computer

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Benny D posted:

According to multiple sources Sony is preparing to release a 4k version of the ps4 with a gpu that is "twice as powerful". Supposedly coming out for this holiday season and will share its catalogue with the vanilla ps4 but the games will be downscaled or some poo poo on the older console. Is this a huge mistake? Will anyone even buy it?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I read that future games will be developed for the old console and upscaled for the new one rather than the other way around.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this is the dumbest thing ever if true lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it's almost definitely sony saying "oh gently caress we couldn't get VR working in any way that's acceptable, we need more graphical power"

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's weird but it'd be crazy if this were true and created some sort of standard so future console have a base and upgraded version

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just remembered that Nintendo already did that with the n3ds

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Unless the new version is coming equipped with a Titan X I'm not too confident about it's ability to do 4k.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

*thinks about bloodborne actually running at 60 instead of 20fps* oh poo poo actually this is the greatest thing ever

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Benny D posted:

i won't buy it :thumbsup:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

*thinks about bloodborne actually running at 60 instead of 20fps* oh poo poo actually this is the greatest thing ever

bloodborne runs fine at 30fps or whatever

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it's almost definitely sony saying "oh gently caress we couldn't get VR working in any way that's acceptable, we need more graphical power"

vr will be bad no matter what, even with high tech japanese dildos and naked animes which is the only reason people are interested in vr

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

oh hells yes, all the fun of cod blops 4 except it's more brown, blurry, textureless, and i'm vomitting while an actual 11 year old named lothlorien cayden braidyn III calls me a friend of the family! awesome!

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

mysterious loyall X posted:

vr will be bad no matter what, even with high tech japanese dildos and naked animes which is the only reason people are interested in vr

i hate vr

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

agreed

disagreed

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i havent bought a ps4 but assumed i would, but if they just keep releasing new $400 ones i guess i wont

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

oh hells yes, all the fun of cod blops 4 except it's more brown, blurry, textureless, and i'm vomitting while an actual 11 year old named lothlorien cayden braidyn III calls me a friend of the family! awesome!

lmao

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not paying nearly 500 for the be head set on my ps or anything else

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

yah

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Also this isn't some kotaku click bait garbage, this is from a story in the wall street journal citing sources at Sony and developers who have been given the new specs

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I might get it, but that's simply because I don't have a ps4 yet.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
its probably just for playing 4k movies, with games being upscaled in 4k and thats not a bad thing imo

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wait a second is this a god drat april's fools. gently caress you!!!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

agreed

disagreed

they pretty obviously optimized the combat around the limitations of the system. like nothing feels , whoa, lot of lag here. wish i had more fps. so it's fine

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

New PlayStation 4 XL

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
if I thought it would do anything by itself I would probably trade in and upgrade but I'm not dropping like $2k on a TV that would actually take advantage of it. 42" entry level Vizio is plenty enough for me, thank u

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's a bad idea but if I can get a decent trade in value I would consider picking one up tbh

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
God I want to play bloodborne

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hopefully they use the right ram again

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i dont want vr but if it runs regular games faster/better looking etc. then i will probably get it. i dont wanna have to upgrade consoles like every 3 years though. but i cvan see why theyre doing it this time

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I.N.R.I posted:

i dont want vr but if it runs regular games faster/better looking etc. then i will probably get it. i dont wanna have to upgrade consoles like every 3 years though. but i cvan see why theyre doing it this time

I do want VR but I don't care about watching movies in 4k and there's no way it's playing games in 4K anyway . I guess it depends on the games it ends up supporting. Dont really give a crap about playing a slightly prettier God of War 4 or whatever is currently rumored

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Predictions

Sony unveils the PS4.5
-It supports the much-demanded 4k resolution format
-With Blu-ray sales flatlining Sony declares the format obsolete
-PS4 will utilize a new 4k disk technology, with a dozens of Sony films available at launch, the majority of which are uprezed hits of the 2000s
-PSN store also supports 4k movie downloads and promises to "look into improving network infrastructure"
-Games disks sync to your account and cannot be played on other consoles
-4k disks hold so much space that the PS4 only need 4 gigs of ram
-Sony announces accompanying line of 4k televisions
-PS4.5 will have no USB ports
-Instead, it features Sony's new Universal Plug Format, engineered to be 15% faster than USB and 90% more expensive
-Games: Uncharted 4 remaster featuring a Nathan Drake who is contractually obligated to use every PS4.5 hardware feature
-Gorgeous trailer for Gran Turismo 7 with a slated 2019 release.
-"We aren't marketing the Playstation 4.5 as a game console, but rather as a window into the next century"

Anyway in seriousness the half-step console is probably intended for Japan, because it's the only country where the PS4 is selling worse than the PS3.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

>Implying 30fps is in any way acceptable in 2016

>KEK.jpg

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

je1 healthcare posted:

-PS4.5 will have no USB ports
-Instead, it features Sony's new Universal Plug Format, engineered to be 15% faster than USB and 90% more expensive

Are you trying to give me nightmares?

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
this poo poo is stupid and greedy. gently caress buying a slightly better version of the same thing every 1-2 years this society has gotten so loving retarded this is probably all steve jobs fault somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Mr. Unlucky posted:

this poo poo is stupid and greedy. gently caress buying a slightly better version of the same thing every 1-2 years this society has gotten so loving retarded this is probably all steve jobs fault somehow.

the industry wants to move to vr for some reason, i guess cos other companies are doing it. and theres no way they could get it to work well on the regular ps4 so i dont think its all that jewish. additionally, i dont think console companies etc actually make any money on selling consoles but rather stuff like games, controllers and, well, vr headsets.

• Locked thread