Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I knew we were in for a wild ride from the very first joke.

"Welcome to the 102nd, and possibly last, White House Correspondents' Dinner. The Decline of the Republic is going fine."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/producermcd/status/726602684971765760

E:

https://twitter.com/whitehouse/status/726595997116280832

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Combed Thunderclap posted:

You just don't know how funny your abuela can be until you see her in action :colbert:

Here's the link to the video of the Dinner for those of you who weren't able to watch live!

You have done Allah's work today.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Found out today I'm fifth cousins with Barbara Boxer's kids through her husband. Neat!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dexo posted:

I think it was 2012

Was 2011.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Found out today I'm fifth cousins with Barbara Boxer's kids through her husband. Neat!

you can get married without genetic problems arising. congratulations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I can't believe that 4/5 years later, Trump is the front runner. He was just a sad, miserable man that evening... now he's completely dismantling the GOPe.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Phone posted:

I can't believe that 4/5 years later, Trump is the front runner. He was just a sad, miserable man that evening... now he's completely dismantling the GOPe.

quote:

The annual dinner features a lighthearted speech from the president; that year, President Obama chose Mr. Trump, then flirting with his own presidential bid, as a punch line.

He lampooned Mr. Trump’s gaudy taste in décor. He ridiculed his fixation on false rumors that the president had been born in Kenya. He belittled his reality show, “The Celebrity Apprentice.”

Mr. Trump at first offered a drawn smile, then a game wave of the hand. But as the president’s mocking of him continued and people at other tables craned their necks to gauge his reaction, Mr. Trump hunched forward with a frozen grimace.

After the dinner ended, Mr. Trump quickly left, appearing bruised. He was “incredibly gracious and engaged on the way in,” recalled Marcus Brauchli, then the executive editor of The Washington Post, but departed “with maximum efficiency.”

That evening of public abasement, rather than sending Mr. Trump away, accelerated his ferocious efforts to gain stature within the political world. And it captured the degree to which Mr. Trump’s campaign is driven by a deep yearning sometimes obscured by his bluster and bragging: a desire to be taken seriously.

That desire has played out over the last several years within a Republican Party that placated and indulged him, and accepted his money and support, seemingly not grasping how fervently determined he was to become a major force in American politics. In the process, the party bestowed upon Mr. Trump the kind of legitimacy that he craved, which has helped him pursue a credible bid for the presidency.

“Everybody has a little regret there, and everybody read it wrong,” said David Keene, a former chairman of the American Conservative Union, an activist group Mr. Trump cultivated. Of Mr. Trump’s rise, Mr. Keene said, “It’s almost comical, except it’s liable to end up with him as the nominee.”

Repeatedly underestimated as a court jester or silly showman, Mr. Trump muscled his way into the Republican elite by force of will. He badgered a skittish Mitt Romney into accepting his endorsement on national television, and became a celebrity fixture at conservative gatherings. He abandoned his tightfisted inclinations and cut five- and six-figure checks in a bid for clout as a political donor. He courted conservative media leaders as deftly as he had the New York tabloids.

At every stage, members of the Republican establishment wagered that they could go along with Mr. Trump just enough to keep him quiet or make him go away. But what party leaders viewed as generous ceremonial gestures or ego stroking of Mr. Trump — speaking spots at gatherings, meetings with prospective candidates and appearances alongside Republican heavyweights — he used to elevate his position and, eventually, to establish himself as a formidable figure for 2016.

In an interview on Friday, Mr. Trump acknowledged that he had encountered many who doubted or dismissed him as a political force before now. “I realized that unless I actually ran, I wouldn’t be taken seriously,” he said. But he denied having been troubled by Mr. Obama’s derision.

“I loved that dinner,” Mr. Trump said, adding, “I can handle criticism.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/13/us/politics/donald-trump-campaign.html

That Correspondents Dinner was Trump's 2016 campaign's origin story.

quote:

Mr. Trump, by then, had gained the kind of status he had long been denied, and seemed more and more gleeful as he took in the significance of what he had achieved.

“A lot of people have laughed at me over the years,” he said in a speech days before the New Hampshire primary. “Now, they’re not laughing so much.”

Dexo fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 1, 2016

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
Please tell me there's a shot of Diamond Joe staring at Helen Mirren's cleavage.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The sole thing that made me laugh the hardest was Wilmore's "No input, HDMI 1" joke

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

blue squares posted:

The sole thing that made me laugh the hardest was Wilmore's "No input, HDMI 1" joke

that was the only one the audience liked , too

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dexo posted:

You guys better get all the "tiny hands" jokes out of your system. Those will probably earn you a one way ticket to Guantanamo when Trump becomes prez.

He won't be Prez I know.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Dexo posted:

The best part is that his campaign has only made people think he's more of a joke.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
just for reference, here's President Obama's remarks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxFkEj7KPC0

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Wow Larry's set was off the charts savage.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Taima posted:

Wow Larry's set was off the charts savage.

I absolutely loved how he bombed with the audience for some jokes. :allears:

The WHCDinner is such a fun, weird little ritual. The press swans around in black tie with smart celebs and the people they report on, then the head honcho everyone obsesses over gets up and does some comedy, and then a news-related comedian viciously and hilariously insults everyone as the press silently stares at them, then selfiesssss!! tweet hashtag-nerd-prom a lot and everyone goes home.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

And some insecure loser who works at CNN loudly boos all CNN jokes

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/726644917464891393

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

https://twitter.com/lindazge/status/726654609129787392

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The Iron Rose posted:

just for reference, here's President Obama's remarks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxFkEj7KPC0

"Sorry I was late. I was running on CPT. Which stands for 'jokes that white people should not make.'"

Amazing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I can only pray that "The End of the Republic has never looked better" was actually no joke and Obama is ready to appoint himself Supreme Leader for life.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I can only pray that "The End of the Republic has never looked better" was actually no joke and Obama is ready to appoint himself Supreme Leader for life.

Trump was always Obama's greatest apprentice.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm down.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
The Jackson "What did that jiggaboo just say?!" line killed me.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Litany Unheard posted:

"Sorry I was late. I was running on CPT. Which stands for 'jokes that white people should not make.'"

Amazing.

That joke deserves more love.

Willmore just savaging the media was the best thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
It's May.

• Locked thread