Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What sort of genius idea compelled them to arrest a postal worker on shift besides something horribly, virulently racist? It just doesn't look good on cameras at all.

That dude they arrested is basically the perfect storm of "person NYPD will regret doing that to." He's a federal employee, was delivering mail at the time, did nothing illegal, is engaged to a police officer, and the whole thing was filmed.

There's not much they can do that'll leave them looking good with this one. DiBlasio needs to use it to get NYPD to calm the gently caress down, he's not going to get another chance like this one.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Sir Tonk posted:

That dude they arrested is basically the perfect storm of "person NYPD will regret doing that to." He's a federal employee, was delivering mail at the time, did nothing illegal, is engaged to a police officer, and the whole thing was filmed.

There's not much they can do that'll leave them looking good with this one, DiBlasio needs to use it to get NYPD to calm the gently caress down. he's not going to get another chance like this one.

I think you underestimate the ability of the NYPD to provide material like this, my friend!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

The USPS might, in this case, should the cops involved be found to have acted unlawfully. They take the mail pretty seriously.

who knew the Postal Mafia was so strong...

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Who the hell is still getting smallpox vaccines besides like CDC workers and anti bioterror agents?

We got them when I was working EMS in NYC. We all thought that it was pretty ridiculous though.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Kro-Bar posted:

I think you underestimate the ability of the NYPD to provide material like this, my friend!

Yeah but they might be smart enough to not do it to federal workers in the future.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Even if they had PC for the arrest, you can't just arrest a postal worker on duty and leave their truck.

At least one cop lost badge and gun and IA is investigating too. Feds are probably interested too.

From what I had read, the cops weren't even undercover, they were supposed to be wearing uniforms and driving a patrol car. It sounds like they might all be hosed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/30/n...&pgtype=article

quote:

The commissioner, William J. Bratton, said on Tuesday that the officers involved in the altercation belonged to the Police Department’s Conditions Unit, a neighborhood-based troubleshooting division that Mr. Bratton described as a preferred assignment.

Members of the unit are expected to work in uniform, Mr. Bratton said, and the officers who arrested Mr. Grays were wearing street clothes. After the arrest, which resulted in Mr. Grays being issued a summons for disorderly conduct, the officers were removed from their assignments and put on patrol pending an investigation by the Internal Affairs Bureau, the commmissioner said.

Phlairdon fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 1, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Those all sound like good suggestions so I'll add them to the OP, except for Fisk, since, in my experience, that's really more appropriate reading for the Middle East thread. Yeah, it contains an indictment of America in the Middle East, but that's only part of a larger thesis.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

People who travel internationally for business.

Eh, I travel to some sketchy places (seaports in developing countries) and I've never been required to get it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^ i guess it depends where exactly you go. Certain countries are pretty much a "you really should get this" if not required outright.

Sir Tonk posted:

There's not much they can do that'll leave them looking good with this one. DiBlasio needs to use it to get NYPD to calm the gently caress down, he's not going to get another chance like this one.

He'll get other chances and he won't use them because he's a giant loving coward. When the NYPD turned its back on him like a bunch of children he had the perfect opportunity to start cleaning house and bringing in new leadership while having the perfect chance to stop poo poo like broken window policing.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why does NYC suck so bad? Even LA and Seattle at least attempt to reign in their police departments. I'm guessing the answer involves 9/11?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

He'll get other chances and he won't use them because he's a giant loving coward. When the NYPD turned its back on him like a bunch of children he had the perfect opportunity to start cleaning house and bringing in new leadership while having the perfect chance to stop poo poo like broken window policing.

Sounds like he won't have to. The Chief of Police is pissed: They were supposed to be in Uniform in a marked car. These guys are likely to, at least, be reassigned.

quote:

Over the past six years at least three of the officers involved have been named in federal civil rights suits alleging false arrest, among other claims. Most of the cases remain active, and such suits are not uncommon.

Two years ago, a suit in which Officer Lluka and six other officers were named, resulted in a settlement in which the city paid the plaintiffs $140,000 in damages and an additional $75,000 in legal fees. On April 30, 2009, the complaint stated, Officer Lluka arrived at an apartment building on Empire Boulevard in Brooklyn where other officers were handling a noise complaint involving the plaintiffs, a brother and sister, both of whom are African-American.

When the woman said she would not let officers into her apartment without a search warrant because there were children present, Officer Lluka and two others “slammed her into a wall, threw her to the ground, kneed her on her back and handcuffed her,” the suit alleged. A fourth officer then hit her brother in the head with a baton when he spoke up to say there had been a misunderstanding, according to the complaint; the brother was treated at Kings County Hospital Center.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 1, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

constitutionally empowered even.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mandatory lesbian posted:

Your postman is just a friendly fat guy with a weeks worth of shaving to catch up on, but if you gently caress with him while he's at work they will come after you and throw your rear end in jail on a federal felony. The USPS don't play.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

haveblue posted:

Should also mention in that section how we've realized Cuba doesn't have cooties any more, the President touched them and he's fine.

Was meaning to mention his trip last month, but forgot. Sorry. :shrug:

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^ i guess it depends where exactly you go. Certain countries are pretty much a "you really should get this" if not required outright.
Not for smallpox, I've been to sub-Saharan Africa and India and it wasn't even mentioned, same with dirt poor SE Asian countries like Myanmar and Cambodia.

I once got to go to the travel nurse and get six shots in one session, loads of fun let me tell you.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Radbot posted:

Why does NYC suck so bad? Even LA and Seattle at least attempt to reign in their police departments. I'm guessing the answer involves 9/11?

That and I think they're still riding on the hype for "being the ones who cleaned up New York" in the 90s.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

Smallpox vaccines suck but I figure the anthrax vaccine will gently caress me up worse later in life.

Never reacted to it :dance:

Means I'm super-hosed later :ohdear:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

MizPiz posted:

That and I think they're still riding on the hype for "being the ones who cleaned up New York" in the 90s.

It's not like most New Yorkers love the NYPD; Bill de Blasio pulled a major political upset over Christine Quinn in the mayoral primary because he was against stop and frisk.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Zeroisanumber posted:

Your postman is just a friendly fat guy with a weeks worth of shaving to catch up on, but if you gently caress with him while he's at work they will come after you and throw your rear end in jail on a federal felony. The USPS don't play.

Slapping down the package in mid delivery and then kicking it is the cherry on top of the list of charges.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Ceiling fan posted:

Slapping down the package in mid delivery and then kicking it is the cherry on top of the list of charges.

I worked for the USPS and you DO NOT want a Postal Inspector to decide you've been loving with the mail. Interfering with a Postal worker and leaving his truck unsecured is drat near a declaration of war.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boon posted:

Never reacted to it :dance:

Means I'm super-hosed later :ohdear:

They didn't just make you do it again? We had one or two onboard that were non-reactive that just had to back to doc a week later or something and get it again.

I'm amazed that more dumbass sailors didn't end up with it all over their bodies.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I will be incredibly surprised if those officers receive anything more than MAYBE a stern talking to. I find it more likely that the USPS employee starts getting more tickets when he is off duty. Maybe they picked the exact wrong federal agency to gently caress with but honestly the "oh man THIS is the time the feds step in to punish crooked cops!" and then nothing happening is getting stale.

Cops being able to assault and murder with impunity is just how it is in America.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

They didn't just make you do it again? We had one or two onboard that were non-reactive that just had to back to doc a week later or something and get it again.

I'm amazed that more dumbass sailors didn't end up with it all over their bodies.

There were some wide cracks in the deck of our medical - they never noticed that somehow my medical record never had any audiology exam (I had taken upon entering). I found that out about 8 months before I got out, which was well over a year after getting off a ship. You never realize just how loving loud a ship is in a normal environment until it goes dark. I'm fairly certain my hearing took a pounding just from the ambient noise.

E:

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Stop preaching for a candidate, that's what YCS is for.

You're right, I cut it - kindly edit your quote :(

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 1, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Radish posted:

I will be incredibly surprised if those officers receive anything more than MAYBE a stern talking to. I find it more likely that the USPS employee starts getting more tickets when he is off duty.

Maybe in the short term. In reality though the Post Office actually has some very sharp teeth. They just show the so rarely that no one's really ever thought to pull them. Basically part of the reason the system works is that if the Post Office feels that you're tampering with or disrupting delivery of the mail they can reduce you to a smoldering crater (in a legal sense).

Basically when those cops arrested the postman, they didn't gently caress with a single black man. They hosed with an entire federal institution and the Post Office is going to demand and very likely receive several pounds of flesh in return. It's not gonna be a case of "one dude versus NYPD" it's going to be a case of "Every lawyer the Post Office can spare versus NYPD"

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 1, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radish posted:

I will be incredibly surprised if those officers receive anything more than MAYBE a stern talking to. I find it more likely that the USPS employee starts getting more tickets when he is off duty. Maybe they picked the exact wrong federal agency to gently caress with but honestly the "oh man THIS is the time the feds step in to punish crooked cops!" and then nothing happening is getting stale.

Cops being able to assault and murder with impunity is just how it is in America.

Let's see if his cop fiancee gets fired.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ceiling fan posted:

Or is it the guy yelling at their lovely driving, and them later rearending a car?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Boon posted:

There were some wide cracks in the deck of our medical - they never noticed that somehow my medical record never had an audiology exam that I had taken upon entering. I found that out about 8 months before I got out, which was well over a year after getting off a ship. Seperate point, you never realize just how loving loud a ship is in a normal environment until it goes dark. I'm fairly certain my hearing took a pounding from the ambient noise.

So Clinton is likely to lose Wisconsin, probably narrowly. That doesn't exactly thrill me as I really do think she is a far better candidate than Bernie, and she's likely to see a loss in Wyoming as well. New York is a guaranteed win (and if not then holy poo poo), but what does the rest of that region look like the following week? I'd imagine she's in a strong position with Pennsylvania being the most disputed...

Also, both her and Bernie are running some fantastic ads in Wisconsin right now. The "Stand Up for Hillary" one is particularly good.

Stop preaching for a candidate, that's what YCS is for.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Litany Unheard posted:

I worked for the USPS and you DO NOT want a Postal Inspector to decide you've been loving with the mail. Interfering with a Postal worker and leaving his truck unsecured is drat near a declaration of war.

USPS v NYPD, now that's a court case I want to see. :munch:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

USPS v NYPD, now that's a court case I want to see. :munch:

The USPS survived having to prepay pensions for the next couple decades, whats the NYPD got? Bring it on, bitch.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

When the Federal Government collapses into anarchy and America devolves into a Mad Max wasteland, the USPS will still deliver the mail.

I'm not joking.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Morrow posted:

When the Federal Government collapses into anarchy and America devolves into a Mad Max wasteland, the USPS will still deliver the mail.

I'm not joking.

We've seen the same documentary, I see.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

MariusLecter posted:

whats the NYPD got? Bring it on, bitch.

Getting away with systemic oppression of minorities for as long as they've existed?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Kevin Costner will make sure of it. Efb

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Kro-Bar posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Morrow posted:

I'm not joking.

"The President's name... is Richard Starkey!"

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Why do they keep capitalizing "black"? Is this an April Fools joke?

https://twitter.com/darrensands/status/715958338606010368

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Hmm... St. Paddy's day, plainclothes, rear ending a another car after nearly hitting the mailman, all sorts of aggressive behavior that's not just over the line but out in front of camera...

...anyone else thinking these guys were on the way back from getting tossed at the bar during lunch?

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 1, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boon posted:

There were some wide cracks in the deck of our medical - they never noticed that somehow my medical record never had any audiology exam (I had taken upon entering). I found that out about 8 months before I got out, which was well over a year after getting off a ship. You never realize just how loving loud a ship is in a normal environment until it goes dark. I'm fairly certain my hearing took a pounding just from the ambient noise.

E:

You're right, I cut it - kindly edit your quote :(

I basically still hear the constant ventilation and haven't been on a ship in four years.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Kro-Bar posted:

I had forgotten about that actually.

Well, more repressed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Morrow posted: