Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I remember reading in previous threads about rear end in a top hat landlords who gathered to discuss the best ways to extract ever-increasing rent from their tenants. What prevents any hike in minimum wage from finding its way into their pockets, especially if they collude to set a rising floor on rents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Does anyone have a link to the article about Caro's experience in the Syrian prisons? I think it got posted either here or in the last thread with some NMS or NWS tags, but I don't remember when.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
How many people in this country bring home enough salary to place them in the top tax bracket without any sort of capital gains or such? How many professional sports players are there in the US who make that kind of money?

The answer is probably "many more in group A than in group B", but it'd be darkly amusing if somehow even raising tax rates on the richest Americans screwed over black people more.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Western culture is really lovely about dealing with mental health issues

Are any cultures good with mental health issues?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

OH god did we let primary chat back in?

I honestly don't mind reading primary chat as long as people can avoid arguing the merits of Clinton and Sanders. So far this appears to be one of the rare times this has happened.

Edit:

cbservo posted:

Is there anyway Clinton gets the delegates she needs without Supers? Or is that a mathematical no at this point?

My understanding is that Clinton is cruising towards a large majority of both popular vote and non-super delegates. She may not have so many delegates at the end that the gap is larger than the number of superdelegates. But if Sanders' convention hopes rely on convincing a huge majority of superdelegates to go against both the Democratic Party and the popular vote (not even counting the fact that many of them have already pledged their votes to Clinton), he doesn't really have a strategy.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 25, 2016

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Daniel Bryan posted:

And they wonder why no one takes their claims of fraud seriously. Something actually went wrong in AZ and in NY. But poo poo like claiming exit polls are more accurate than results and not understanding data entry errors undermines actual instances of fraud.

The AZ thing was having too few polling places open. The NY thing was voters being removed from the rolls. Or did something else happen in NY that I just didn't hear about?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

James Garfield posted:

The NY voter issue (the Brooklyn one that people blew up about on my facebook, anyway) removed voter registrations in an area that favored Clinton more than NY as a whole, so it's very hard to believe it was somehow pro-Clinton. Not that it wasn't an issue.

This is what I remember reading also. That the voters removed tended to be either (a) dead, or (b) minorities that would have skewed towards Clinton anyway. I wasn't sure if there was something I was missing -- I'm trying to follow this election cycle from Japan, so I miss some of the finer details.

VikingofRock posted:

This reads like a MIGF post.

Gingrich isn't wrong. The people Trump has been courting reeeeeaaaalllly don't care about foreign policy beyond the theme song from "Team America: World Police".

Edit: except the sushi and immigrants lines, obviously.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

One of the things that I most enjoy about this election season has been watching Republicans flap around like chickens who realize that the coop is on fire but can't bring themselves to leave the henhouse because the world outside is uncomfortable. This whole article talks about the problem that they have and the stupidity of the beltway GOP's half-assed plans for solving it, but doesn't actually offer any solution other than the same "maybe we should stop rawdogging everyone making under $250k/year?" platitudes that they all half-heartedly mumble.

He really is so close, when he talks about how the improved economy sure doesn't seem improved for the vast majority of people, or how the social conservative movement (for all its sound and fury) lost the culture war, or how maaaaaybe immigration/immigrants are something to be treated as something other than reviled.

His new conservative party sounds like it would share an awful lot of views with today's Democratic Party!

• Locked thread