Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Problem description: My desktop computer started giving out pops and Max Headroom stutters a couple of weeks ago, at first whenever I loaded or reloaded a tab in Chrome while audio or video was running. What let me shrug it off at first was that it was Chrome and the sound was usually Youtube, and that's a road I've been down several times. Then the racket turned up outside of the browser (system sounds and mp3s), sometimes when the browser wasn't even active (or obviously active, anyway), and that's when I started getting annoyed. Since a number of sites and forums said that sound issues can be traced back to system latency, I ran LatencyMon, which almost immediately kicked back this result:

So then I started looking into that (see below), but I haven't found anything effective. It seems like the ethernet driver is being a pig, but I've just about gone down the list about how to address that.

Attempted fixes: Malware scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and registry clean with CCleaner. Sprayed for dust in case of overheating. Ran Windows sound troubleshooter, made sure audio enhancements were switched off. Deleted sound device without deleting driver and allowed Win10 to reinstall it on restart. Tested system sound with other browsers and without active browser. Tried Microsoft High Definition Audio Device driver. Installed latest Realtek audio drivers from manufacturer website. Flushed DNS cache (this worked at first, but the problem came back and stayed after a few hours). Disabled ethernet card driver to test sound. Switched from auto-negotiation to 100M duplex in Speed & Duplex setting. In other words, it's been a busy week.

Recent changes: The only change of any kind before this started happening is that I added an add-on source to Kodi. Although that and my sound problems weren't close enough together to make it an obvious suspect, the source and the related add-on were deleted.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

System specs: Dell Inspiron 580 w/ NVidia GeForce 310 and on-board Realtek audio. A StarTech PCI 10/100/1000 32 Bit Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter Card (Product ID: ST1000BT32, Realtek chipset) was a later add-on. The original 1TB hard drive has been replaced with a WD Green 2TB (WD20EZRX). Both hardware replacements were roughly 2-3 years ago.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

I'm in way past my depth, so any help will be appreciated. These gizmos are going to be the death of me.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I'd try a Ubuntu live USB to see if it's hardware or drivers (IE: The windows installation) and then either get a sound card, or reformat accordingly.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I'd try a Ubuntu live USB to see if it's hardware or drivers (IE: The windows installation) and then either get a sound card, or reformat accordingly.

Thanks for the advice. I was probably going to end up with a sound upgrade anyway, since on-board always lets me down in the end.

For the time being, though, I ended up rolling back the ethernet driver to a previous version, which the Device Manager promised me wasn't an option until I asked to pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. At least for the moment, it's doing better than when I started, but if something else pops up, I'll check in.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 4, 2016

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

And now, the actual and for-real end of the line for this problem...possibly.

Redoing the driver took care of the problem for one session. Uninstalling Chrome took care of the problem for one session. Then Sunday night I poked around Reddit and landed on something that seemed like a lateral approach, but for some reason it made the problem vanish almost instantly: I switched off telemetry using Ultimate Windows Tweaker.

Just to see what would happen, I reinstalled Chrome and didn't pull a clump of hair out after testing it. While I wouldn't mind knowing why something like that actually worked (does telemetry bottleneck system calls or something?), it's been solid since Sunday night. Crossing my fingers that it's case closed.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Sounds like an issue with your network adapter or its driver causing excessive load.

• Locked thread