Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Problem description: I replaced my power supply and installed a new WiFi card. Everything powered up fine, but the card wasn't detected. I shut it down, open it up again, and reseat the card and its cable. Then it won't power up. The fans all spin up for 5-10 seconds and then stop. The computer also keeps trying to power up without me hitting the power button on my case.

Attempted fixes:

Removing the card: Powered up once seemingly at random after not working once, then wouldn't do it again
Stripping down to CPU and 1 memory stick. No drives, no graphics card, no USB devices, no monitor: Still only coming up for 5-10 seconds.
Reseat CPU fan plug: Same thing
Swapping out memory sticks: 1 beep, DRAM error according to internet.
Putting other memory stick back in, effectively switching their slots: 4 beeps, System Timer Failure
Reset CMOS: Beeps for the 2 above went away.
Swapped out power cable: Still only spinning up 5-10 seconds.
Reseated CPU: same thing

Recent changes: Changed the PSU out and installed new WiFi card

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Professional

System specs: Intel i3 4130, GeForce GTX460, 8gb RAM, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 1tb WD HDD, Antec Earthpower 620w / Rosewill Capstone 650w PSUs (tried both)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What's the motherboard and how old is the computer?

Sounds like the motherboard might've died. I'd try taking it out of the case and putting it on a flat, nonconductive surface and then use a paperclip/key to bridge the power pins of the motherboard to turn it on. That'd eliminate the case/power button as being an issue at least.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

H97 Pro4, sorry. I forgot to put that in there.

The computer is a tremendous example of the ship of theseus. The case is 10 years old, the motherboard, processor, and RAM are less than 2 years old, the SSD is only a few months old, the HDD is a bit more than 5 years old. DVD drive, who knows, probably about 10 years. The old power supply was probably over 5 years, which is why I proactively replaced it. It hadn't been booting with the DVD drive plugged in, so I figured it was down a lot of power.

I'll try taking it out and bridging the power pins. I'll post how that goes. The power button is really weird to the touch, so that could have to do with it. Doesn't come out all the way, goes in with no physical resistance, wiggles side to side.

Newegg says the motherboard has a 3 year warranty, but it seems like ASRock might only acknowledge a 1 year? I'll have to figure that out, although if the motherboard fried, I would put odds on it having taken the processor with it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Very late post because A) I'm lazy and B) I've been doing school. ASRock suggested resetting the CMOS by removing the battery and switching the jumper to a different slot. I never got around to it, but I decided to give a shot to booting it up again today because I figured there was a good chance the CMOS battery had been drained in the intervening three weeks. It kind of works. I need to finish plugging stuff in because I forgot how few cables I had plugged in buttoning it back up. I don't even have my boot drive plugged into the PSU.

It's also only powering on intermittently. In the CMOS it says that the CPU is running at 94c, so I'm going to put some fresh thermal paste on there and see if that helps. That might be why it's shutting down some of the time, but if that doesn't fix it I'm suspecting my wonky power button on the case. I was hoping to get a micro-ATX tower when I got a new motherboard and everything else, but I might just get a new ATX mid-tower if it keeps giving me trouble.

• Locked thread