Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Bloomberg came out with a feature about Andrés Sepúlveda, a hacker who claims having a hand in rigging a half dozen elections in Latin America, including the most recent Mexican election. He tells a pretty detailed and crazy story about how much things are tampered with. This basically goes further than "movie hacking" and he claims that similar riggings are done all over the world including the U.S.

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-how-to-hack-an-election/

It's hard to bold stuff about it because the whole thing is holy poo poo scary and fascinating at the same time, I recommend taking some time and reading it.
With a Karl Rove-esque associate he used everything like spying on opponent's phones and emails, installing malware in their offices, manipulating social media for propaganda and hacking websites with his team of hackers.
Now he's in solitary confinement after multiple assassination attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hey op could you come up with other sources on this? Sounds interesting but I would like more background.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Yeah this sounds super interesting but I'm literally finding nothing about it except the bloomberg article. It's a bit much to swallow with only that.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
A really interesting read, thanks fro posting.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

The Bloomberg thing was the first time I've heard of him and it seems like all the other stories are just reposting the Bloomberg thing, but his spanish wikipedia page possibly has other sources? It was all written before this article. https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caso_Andr%C3%A9s_Sep%C3%BAlveda

Maybe if someone here speaks spanish they can shine light on it?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Daynab posted:

The Bloomberg thing was the first time I've heard of him and it seems like all the other stories are just reposting the Bloomberg thing, but his spanish wikipedia page possibly has other sources? It was all written before this article. https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caso_Andr%C3%A9s_Sep%C3%BAlveda

Maybe if someone here speaks spanish they can shine light on it?

The wikipedia page deals with a specific event. Supposedly Sepúlveda hacked FARC members' computers, while they were present at the Habana peace talks. It says he was acquitted of all charges once, due to a failure on the prosecutor's part, but a new investigation was later started. It's open ended. Seems like he used mostly social engineering, such as using the email address "farcpeacetalks@yahoo.com" and fake Facebook profiles, and straight out buying passwords from a third party, and some actual hacking.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
Not surprised that the far-right in Venezuela would engage in election fraud while accusing the left of doing it. Good thing Venezuela has such a strong voting system to foil fascist manipulators like this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Not surprised that the far-right in Venezuela would engage in election fraud while accusing the left of doing it. Good thing Venezuela has such a strong voting system to foil fascist manipulators like this guy.

Yeah it's pretty great that the PSUV lost the last elections.

• Locked thread