Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

I was rummaging through my pile of paranormal paraphernalia when i came across a compendium of noted phantoms. it's an old book and most of them aren't really all that notable these days but here are a few who stood out

1. The Phantom

The most noted Phantom, the Phantom (aka the Ghost Who Walks) is a crimefighter who can never die because he keeps having kids and they take over when the old man kicks the bucket. The Phantom lives in a skull mountain in Bangalia, Africa where for 21 generations he's been punching bad dudes in the mug for being shits to the locals. Currently in the 21st generation, the Man Who Cannot Die is married, has two daughters and slam evil with the help of his horse, Hero, and his dog, Devil.

What's notable about him : Aside from being an unkillable legend who everyone thinks has lived for like 400 years in a treasure-filled house shaped like a skull, he also has a ring on his punching fist which leaves an indelible skull mark which identifies whoever the Phantom hits as a complete piece of poo poo. Also The Phantom was kind of a big deal in the 40s so during World War 2 soldiers used to get the comics in their care packages. Papua New Guineans in the Pacific theatre used to love the poo poo out of them to the point where the Phantom became incorporated into their tribal imagery. Because he was an awesome dude who looked out for indigenous people against invading shitheads and was also impossible to kill, The Phantom made for a good war shield decoration. Check these out:

and my favourite

Notability: 5 ghosts/5

2. Marley's Ghost

This phantom bedeviled Ebeneezer Scrooge for being a cheapskate and warned him of the trials that would face him one Christmas Eve long ago. Not a particularly effective phantom since he needed not one but three extra phantoms to get his point across, he is notorious for the rattling and moaning which would become a staple of the phantom genre henceforth and mainly noted because the book in which he appears sold so many copies. In short he was cooler before he went mainstream, but not by much.

Notability : 2 lost souls/5

3. Regina Spektor

Spectres belong to the phantom family, and Regina Spektor's musical success has been anything but ghostly. A pianist and guitarist she has put out six studio albums and been nominated for a Grammy and an MTV music award. Her brand of anti-folk poppy music features regularly in television shows, for instance as the title song for "Orange is the New Black". I liked her song "All the Rowboats" and own a copy of her album, "Far". She's fluent in Russian and is married and has a son. That's pretty much all I know about this ghastly ghost.

4 spirits of the night/5

The rest of the phantoms are garbage (harvest ghoul? rubella wraith? who gives a poo poo). What phantoms have you noted for today's modern times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guns for tits

While I'm not a huge fan of musicals, I can't say that the Phantom of the Opera isn't noteworthy.

Business Gorillas

:harambe:

What's the difference between a phantom and a ghost? A spectre and a wraith? A Geist and a spirit?

One of my exes thought she almost got raped by a ghost once, why didn't that make the list?

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Business Gorillas posted:

What's the difference between a phantom and a ghost? A spectre and a wraith? A Geist and a spirit?

One of my exes thought she almost got raped by a ghost once, why didn't that make the list?

They're all pretty much the same thing. I mean i know ghosts think they're better than the other spirits but they're just snobs. You know what they say - a spectre is just a ghost who works for a living.

unless your ex is really old i don't think she made the noted phantoms 1952 almanac which is where i got these bad boys from

hi how are you ♥

alnilam

Marley & Marley's Ghosts
At least twice as good as Marley's ghost because their ghost-to-helper-ghost ratio is 2:3 instead of 1:3. Also more musical than Marley's ghost. Not particularly original but they make up for it with good sour, crotchety old man puns.

3.5 muppets /5

3D Megadoodoo

I think Stinky is probably a type of phantom

bacalou

i make water ghosts every time i boil some h20 for noodles or tea

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Phantom Limb.
It's a tad confusing because you may think the phantom part only refers to his phantom limbs, but it is in fact his name referring to his whole self.
Phantom Limb's arms and legs are completely invisible. He possesses the ability to kill or incapacitate others through physical contact. When he uses this power, the blood vessels and bones in his arms flash with red and green light and the sound of electric arcing is heard.
David Bowie was shown to be immune to this effect, presumably due to his non-human or superhuman nature.

Aliases
Revenge
Occupation
Supervillain, former high-ranking member of The Guild of Calamitous Intent, former college professor, leader of the Revenge Society
Relatives
Fantômas (grandfather, deceased)
Notable characteristics
High intelligence, invisible limbs, "killer hands"
Alliances
The Guild of Calamitous Intent
Prior alliances
Dr. Girlfriend
The Boys' Brigade
The Revenge Society (Group)

A LOVELY LAD

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jDjkESR-4Y this scooby doo ripoff

3D Megadoodoo

can a dude called Ghost be a phantom? i mean are we talking different types of apparition or just nomenclature?

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

The McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom is a multi-role jet fighter/bomber/interceptor commissioned by the US Navy in 1960 but eventually being used by pretty much everyone. More than 5,000 of the things were built and I'm sure they brought death to many of America's enemies. They have a lot of long-range weapons and a giant engine that let them disengage from air combat at will but they were a bit slow and wobbly in a fight and couldn't really mix it up with Soviet fighters at close range.

They're still around despite their advanced age. While the US, the UK and Germany have stopped using them apparently Japan, Turkey and Iran still use them. Iran was reportedly bombing ISIS with them in 2014.

A notable phantom but not a very nice one. 5/5 for notability but loses 4 points for killing people, so 1 out of 5

Jerry Cotton posted:

can a dude called Ghost be a phantom? i mean are we talking different types of apparition or just nomenclature?

If a group of dudes called The Phantom can be a phantom i'm sure a guy called Ghost counts

Business Gorillas

:harambe:

Maybe phantoms see killing people as a way to free their ghosts from their bodies, bet you never thought of that

Peace

joke_explainer

fantoma:

3D Megadoodoo

She showed me how to be a tree in man's world and for that I'm eternally grateful.

zidane13

by Smythe
Would you say that phantoms, and ghosts and such, are transient to infinity? Do you think they ask where they are?

Apparently they have a continuity, a canon plot, but do they know it? Have they a mind to ask such a thing?

What is a phantom, really? Is he a man? Was he? Who made him, his parents or his writer?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

joke_explainer

Everyone criticizes the artwork but I actually love the art in Fantomah. Much like Stardust, she has seemingly limitless power, and just ruthlessly crushes anyone that crosses her. It's truly a bizarre comic. I also like the inversion on her turning into a hideous skull monster every time she uses her powers, since many comics require the women characters to remain attractive and frame them for a male viewer even when they are beaten half to death.

3D Megadoodoo

joke_explainer posted:

Everyone criticizes the artwork but I actually love the art in Fantomah. Much like Stardust, she has seemingly limitless power, and just ruthlessly crushes anyone that crosses her. It's truly a bizarre comic. I also like the inversion on her turning into a hideous skull monster every time she uses her powers, since many comics require the women characters to remain attractive and frame them for a male viewer even when they are beaten half to death.

Who has criticized the artwork :confused:

Quidthulhu

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

this is a super informative thread, i want to read some Phantom comics now. is that poo poo still running, which imprint is it on??

here is my addition to our compendium:

The Phantom Tollbooth

neither ghost nor spectre nor gobline but named for such, this is a tollbooth which appears to bored boys and sends them on fantastical journeys. it is less creepy than it sounds but it also doesn't show up for very long in the book of its namesake, it is more of a gatekeeper or a ~tollbooth~ if you will. also neither person pictured on this book are the phantom tollbooth, i am sorry for that.

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Quidnose posted:

this is a super informative thread, i want to read some Phantom comics now. is that poo poo still running, which imprint is it on??

here is my addition to our compendium:

The Phantom Tollbooth

neither ghost nor spectre nor gobline but named for such, this is a tollbooth which appears to bored boys and sends them on fantastical journeys. it is less creepy than it sounds but it also doesn't show up for very long in the book of its namesake, it is more of a gatekeeper or a ~tollbooth~ if you will. also neither person pictured on this book are the phantom tollbooth, i am sorry for that.

That's the watch dog on the cover isn't it? I loved that book when I was a kid.

Phantom is still running its daily strip in newspapers as it has done for 80 years now. The current artist died recently so all the strips that are coming up now are actually from a literal phantom until they run out the backlog. The new artist is picking up in May. Since I don't read newspapers I haven't seen the Phantom in a long time but I used to be really into it and now I want to get some of the old comics and give them a read

hi how are you ♥

3D Megadoodoo

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Phantom is still running its daily strip in newspapers as it has done for 80 years now. The current artist died recently so all the strips that are coming up now are actually from a literal phantom until they run out the backlog. The new artist is picking up in May. Since I don't read newspapers I haven't seen the Phantom in a long time but I used to be really into it and now I want to get some of the old comics and give them a read

If there's any The Phantom drawn by Lindahl and printed in black-and-white available in your language of preference, that's the good stuff. Newspaper-The Phantom was mostly pretty forgettable.

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Jerry Cotton posted:

If there's any The Phantom drawn by Lindahl and printed in black-and-white available in your language of preference, that's the good stuff. Newspaper-The Phantom was mostly pretty forgettable.

newspaper phantom doesn't work well when compiled but it's sort of effective when read as intended. One thing I really like about newspaper serials is that even if they can be a bit lame the format forces something to happen at least every three or four panels. Flash Gordon for instance is janky as all hell but you gotta respect that they introduce the character and have him blasting off into space about to crash into an evil meteroid or whatever within a single sunday edition. I remember the Phantom keeping up that kind of pace as well

hi how are you ♥

Darkman Fanpage
anyone mention the phantom of the opera? i don't think he qualifies because he's just an ugly guy with a mask that plays the organ and stalks a lady. creepy but not the kind im used to.

3D Megadoodoo

Darkman Fanpage posted:

anyone mention the phantom of the opera? i don't think he qualifies because he's just an ugly guy with a mask that plays the organ and stalks a lady. creepy but not the kind im used to.

actually there's a real phantom in the phantom of the opera but the audience never sees him because he's a loving phantom!

givepatajob

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
The Phantom Game Console. Truly lived up to its' name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_Entertainment

Adiabatic

What have you assholes done now?
The Rolls-Royce Phantom:

This is the most iconic Rolls-Royce model line in existence, and if youre looking to make a mark as a dictator its pretty much required you buy one.

Pictured is a Phantom owned by the Sultan of Kedah, current Agong of Malaysia. I've never heard of Kedah and I don't know what an Agong is, but they're both obviously pretty important cause dude has a Phantom with flags on it.

Oh yeah you'll see more flags on Phantoms than any other car, other than maybe a Range Rover because they're super popular with despots in the lovely terrain of Africa, and if there's two things African despots love, it's Range Rovers and flags.

I'm off topic though. The Phantom has been around since 1925 and even then it looked baller as gently caress:

That poo poo's straight out of the dumb superficial Gatsby era.

Oh yeah if you dont have enough dumb poo poo to spend your money on you can get one in a convertible, which they call a "Drophead Coupé" because you aren't paying half a million dollars to name poo poo like everybody else.

Neat as balls but you have to be a dick to own one. 2 super spooky skellies out of 5

free Trapt CD

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
kanye west

he may be "50% more incorporeal than warren beatty, life-in-death, AND the ghost of future past - fake rear end", but phantasmal commentators have doubted kanye's phantom credentials. despite breaking out of traditional barriers for apparitions, 'ye still has what it takes: nobody could haunt kanye more than kanye haunts kanye.

free Trapt CD

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

chris hemsworth

every so often when i'm home alone, a strong wind will blow through the living room (even though all the windows are closed) and knock the latest issue of People magazine onto the ground, the magazine always falling so that it opens on an article about chris hemsworth. now, i'm not superstitious, mind, but that's a little strange, no? and how sometimes when i'm shaving, i'll look in the mirror, and out of the corner of my eye i'll see a tall, rugged blonde shadow approaching, but when i turn around, the actor who's critically acclaimed for his performances in 'Thor' and 'the Avengers' isn't there? and sometimes when i'm on the liminal border of doziness and sleep, i'll hear a roguish yet charming voice whisper... "heart2, heart2... go see my new movie 'The Huntsman', mate"? it's almost as strange as how he got his start on a tv drama. what a world, eh

google THIS

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

kanye west

he may be "50% more incorporeal than warren beatty, life-in-death, AND the ghost of future past - fake rear end", but phantasmal commentators have doubted kanye's phantom credentials. despite breaking out of traditional barriers for apparitions, 'ye still has what it takes: nobody could haunt kanye more than kanye haunts kanye.

um it's pretty well established that kanye is actually a vampire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free Trapt CD

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

google THIS posted:

um it's pretty well established that kanye is actually a vampire
wow! i did wonder why there was a bat at his wedding

• Locked thread