Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

this is the megathread for all your home needs: home improvement, decor, square footage, number of bathrooms, favorite episodes of this old house, counter materials, washing machine manufacturer preferences, wood grains, tax abatements, prop 13, school districts, city halls, strip malls, county governance, building codes, fire ordinances, litter box location preferences, carpet fiber density, street parking, neighbors, lawn care, mail delivery times, street widths, neighborhood symmetry, racial statistics of townships, mortgages, refinancing, utility bills, air conditioning, electric vs gas stoves, types of hvac setups, aquaria, Costco memberships, guest bedrooms, mattress firmness, subcontracting licenses, building permits, tax assessments, solar panels, recycling sorting statutes, frequency and quality of garbage pickup, ethnicity of mail carrier, speed limits, sprinkler systems, landlords, security deposits, methods of paying rent, access to public transportation, quality of food delivery, maid trustworthiness, backsplash element density and patterns, porches, decks, fire escapes, patios (both wood and poured concrete), patios (flagstone and brick), lawn furniture, window pane thickness, number of windows, height of Windows, width of Windows, shutter color and material, awnings, window blinds, fireplaces, vents, crawl spaces, foundations, sump pumps, average rainfall in neighborhood, yard drainage systems, snow clearance (personal and civic), mailboxes, driveway angle to street, driveway angle to garage, available space in garage with 0-n cars parked in it, garage door opening speed and remote control button click firmness, satisfaction at sound of garage door remote control click (1-10), mousetraps, rat traps, roach traps, termite spraying, bedbugs, ants (small), ants (large), neighborhood pets, bird feeders, domestic birds, tropical birds, wild birds, those pesky squirrels, street lights, pavement markings, road sign retroreflectivity

get hosed yospos bicht 219

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i put ethernet cables along some of the baseboards where i live because wifi still sucks after 16 years and there's no sign of it improving for any use beyond web browsing

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I keep eyeing up those Philip Hue bulbs

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

That guy just had one hell of a meltdown. Wow

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i put ethernet cables along some of the baseboards where i live because wifi still sucks after 16 years and there's no sign of it improving for any use beyond web browsing

With mesh networking we have things now like Eero, there are also OpenMesh appliances which allegedly work (I think you have to configure each device separately) but not much else.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

That guy just had one hell of a meltdown. Wow

He's a salty boy.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
my girlfriend has just finished converting my hovel to a livable space, i am excited to post pictures

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
fail

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

MrMoo posted:

With mesh networking we have things now like Eero, there are also OpenMesh appliances which allegedly work (I think you have to configure each device separately) but not much else.

this sounds like hell

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
had loving starlings nesting the the utility closet because its warm in there (water heater) and its below freezing outside.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

so i'm reading about eero and lol

quote:

With eero, you simply plug one device into your modem. Additional eeros simply need power from a standard outlet. They automatically connect to each other to create a single wireless mesh network that covers your whole home.

good to know i can reduce my bandwidth by 1/x by adding more eero units!!

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

im gonna build a garage someday. the previous owner ran her car into the original garage and my driveway is all hosed up and cracked now

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

*has a huge house, buys 6 eero units*

*wonders why bandwidth is less than 10 meg ethernet from 1993*

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

*has a huge house, buys 6 eero units*

*wonders why bandwidth is less than 10 meg ethernet from 1993*

my name is sisyphus and my life task is to get people to understand how bandwidth works

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

my name is sisyphus and my life task is to get people to understand how bandwidth wifi works

i am of the opinion that wifi is some of the most consumer-unfriendly trash out there

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my maid is coming over today but the battery in the passcode deadbolt on my side door might be dead, so my house might not be getting cleaned :ohdear:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
gently caress it, why can I get into my car without even having to touch my keys, by my house requires manual unlocking?

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

is your house big or otherwise suck for wifi? I have the default modem+router from twc for their 50 mbps package and it's pretty good

except for the fact they are now charging me $10/mo for it

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

The Management posted:

my maid is coming over today but the battery in the passcode deadbolt on my side door might be dead, so my house might not be getting cleaned :ohdear:

you in the Mission area? i've been thinking about getting a maid service and i'm looking for recommendations

Apr 7, 2003

I think he's in Pittsburgh.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

so i'm reading about eero and lol

good to know i can reduce my bandwidth by 1/x by adding more eero units!!

It's all magic, apparently the back haul uses a separate channel so you don't lose out like WDS. The units are packed with multiple radios, but not as much as Google's OnHub plant pot.

quote:

Worse, many range “extenders” cut your bandwidth in half because they rely on a single wireless radio to both send and receive data. In contrast, each eero has two radios — both of which communicate with your devices and sync with other eeros — so your connection is always fast. Not only does an eero system operate on a single network name (SSID), but you can also walk throughout your home and devices like your iPhone will connect to the nearest eero.

https://eero.com/technology

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 5, 2016

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

ChiralCondensate posted:

is your house big or otherwise suck for wifi? I have the default modem+router from twc for their 50 mbps package and it's pretty good

except for the fact they are now charging me $10/mo for it

it's because i'm a big nerd with a file server and an htpc and lol at streaming media over wifi

MrMoo posted:

It's all magic, apparently the back haul uses a separate channel so you don't lose out like WDS. The units are packed with multiple radios, but not as much as Google's OnHub plant pot.

https://eero.com/technology

my limited understanding is that there's really only 3 channels that don't overlap so the frequency space has to come from somewhere, right?

Apr 7, 2003

it's because i'm a big nerd with a file server and an htpc and lol at streaming media over wifi

This guy has anime.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

my limited understanding is that there's really only 3 channels that don't overlap so the frequency space has to come from somewhere, right?

That's only 2.4Ghz, you also have 5Ghz.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

This guy has anime.

this thread is a safe space

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SO DEMANDING posted:

i am of the opinion that wifi is some of the most consumer-unfriendly trash out there

well its definitely sold using the most grossly oversimplified terms and relying on dumb luck that it matches the buyers expectations

i guess that almost any consumer electronics piece (see also 4k tv, surround sound etc)

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

MrMoo posted:

That's only 2.4Ghz, you also have 5Ghz.

unless you have walls

Apr 7, 2003

I never really got the HTPC thing, if you've already watched a show or movie why watch it again

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Panty Saluter posted:

well its definitely sold using the most grossly oversimplified terms and relying on dumb luck that it matches the buyers expectations

i guess that almost any consumer electronics piece (see also 4k tv, surround sound etc)

remember that one tv brand that added in a yellow pixel so you would have rgby? where did the yellow data come from???

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

I never really got the HTPC thing, if you've already watched a show or movie why watch it again

much like foods or drinks, some people have favorite movies that can be enjoyable despite knowing how the story turns out

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

it is made extra painful by the fact that so much poo poo relies on wifi. also gently caress all the goddamn standards they've pushed out, and double-gently caress that "draft n" horseshit from a few years ago

remember that one tv brand that added in a yellow pixel so you would have rgby? where did the yellow data come from???

each pixel was lovingly hand-selected by george takei himself

Apr 7, 2003

much like foods or drinks, some people have favorite movies that can be enjoyable despite knowing how the story turns out

Life's too short to watch the same poo poo over and over.

It's piracy, isn't it

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

same place the other 210 frames come from on ~*~trumotion~*~ sets i guess

Apr 7, 2003

I hope 4K bombs real bad. Considering that Joe Average rents the SD box from his cable company and stretches the image to fit and thinks that's great, I know it will.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

unless you have walls

If you have walls then 2.4Ghz is presumably not going to have that much interference. If you are in a small crowded apartment then the TP-Link OnHub with directional WiFi is probably the better option.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

Life's too short to watch the same poo poo over and over.

same that's why i like trying new foods

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007
My landlady is gonna be so mad when I move out and she finds the 3 tiny holes I drilled to run Ethernet to the other corner of the house, probably gonna have to buy some DAP and spend ~30 mins fixing it my life is over.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

basements

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SO DEMANDING posted:

it is made extra painful by the fact that so much poo poo relies on wifi. also gently caress all the goddamn standards they've pushed out, and double-gently caress that "draft n" horseshit from a few years ago

"draft n" was just 802.11n compatibility implemented before n was officially ratified is all

the level of traffic definitely hurts. even having APs on the same channel isnt that bad, unless there is a ton of traffic. the constantly updating standards are fine, it's the same thing that happens with every tech. i do get the impression that consumer friendliness is tacked on and all of it is designed to be set up by a networking professional. once again relying on dumb luck to get results

gently caress lovely router logic. i see so many of them choose occupied channels with tons of free airspace available all the time :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

same that's why i like trying new foods

McDonald's is always trying out new menu items.

• Locked thread