Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Really wished it was more popular. The past few days have been nice since getting games is much easier, and it reminds me why I would go running back to it after playing Overwatch. I like it when team objective games draw a battle line and it feels like you're doing something more than just killing players or sitting on an objective.

At this point they've got nothing to lose. They should try doing the R6: Siege "basic" version or sell the single-player separately from the multi at a lower price or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

malhavok posted:

Is this worth it at 50% of?

No.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

nutranurse posted:

malhavok posted:

Is this worth it at 50% of?
No.

I'd personally say it was worth it at full price, honestly. I don't really get back on anymore, but I got plenty of enjoyment out of it the first three weeks it was out.

I'd say, if you're one of those people that expect a game to go on forever or else you didn't get your money's worth, take a pass. But if you're the type to realize you'd spend $50-$70 on a day at an amusement park and this is just an amusement park that lasts more than a day, go for it. It's easily enjoyable enough to justify it's price tag. Especially if you have friends who will go in on it and play with you.

It's a shame it's slowing down, but not everything can be a Blizzard-backed mediocrity-spree.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I tried this game out during the sale, but I got a refund because wow is it optimized poorly. On the lowest settings, it just gets around 10 frames per second, while overwatch never drops under sixty frames per second for me. I'd really like to play a game like this, but I can't handle that kinda framerate.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I just started typing and now here comes a effortpost/meltdown about how this game goes.

It is absolutely not a great game.
I say this after reaching character rank 60+ (having spent at least 60hrs in-game grinding story missions), and never touching the PvP elements because I'm already aware of the Borderlands fanbase and would rather not trudge through that. It may make the game 10,000% better, but I'm already aware it's not for me. I got the game at a huge discount, and really only play it for the split-screen capabilities; which are frustrating in themselves because of the amount of real estate sacrificed for a minimap. I realize that I'm only getting 50% out of a mediocre game, but for my purposes it's tolerable.
There are seven story missions and one final mission. The story missions are chosen at random when playing in a public session. Private matches allow you to choose the mission map, but you'd have to already group up to play it with others directly.
When choosing one of three missions (again, selected at random from a pool of seven), the host gets the priority vote. There is a countdown for voting. After that countdown, another begins to create the map session with the group; then an intro plays as the Character Select screen loads in the background.

The intro to each mission may as well be the same stupid 3D animation of a camera panning across a galaxy. There is some stupid audio clip included with each one, so I guess that's what makes them different. Then you select a character and wait for another countdown timer. The timer speeds up when everyone has chosen a player, but sometimes people disconnect and you get to wait the entire 60 seconds for those people to re-join your session. They seldom do. Then we get all to watch the same anime cartoon intro before showcasing each of the players doing a taunt and finally getting to start the mission.

Each mission has the players running an inordinate amount of distance before getting to a pool of enemies and then moving on after eliminating them. Some missions have you protecting an AI-controlled spider mech that acts as a large bullseye. Other missions have you stand around on a platform to "enable" a generator. This becomes a tower defense where you can buy turrets and drones to stave off waves of enemies before going to another control point somewhere on the other side of the map and repeat the process. All along the way, players reach "checkpoints" where they can respawn if nobody is paying attention or doesn't feel like ditching their firefight to revive you. If all lives are spent and everyone dies, the mission is failed and the checkpoint is meaningless. They serve no purpose beyond a respawn point.

Reviving characters is a complete chore, because you have to locate a specific hitbox to actually revive the character -- this is even further complicated by characters like Toby the tiny penguin, that sits inside a giant mech suit. If you aren't looking directly at the penguin character model, the prompt to revive them simply does not appear. You can open chests and collect 'shards' to spend on the tower defense objects and on gear to boost character attributes. Gear is acquired through loot packs or completing missions. Mission objectives typically boil down to collecting bonus coins that pop off large enemies and looting chests to collect other items of value. Time and lives spent completing a mission do not appear to be large factors, although the best time for each mission is recorded to help indicate easier missions when in the map selection screen.

After completing the missions, a very detailed stats breakdown is presented along with character progression and a chance to review any new gear you've acquired. The stats don't really offer much more than bragging rights, and the lobby is disbanded as soon as the mission ends, so joining the same group of random players may become challenging. Gear can be sold for small increments of in-game currency to spend on more loot packs, more gear sets to select from or a larger storage space for your entire collection of gear items. Most of the gear is poo poo and won't satisfy the bump that most characters need for additional damage or attack speed. Some legendary gear is decent, but requires a large investment of shards to enable while playing through a map, and may not get activated until the final boss fight due to the cost. You cannot select multiple pieces of gear and mark them as junk - they must all be individually sold back, and this becomes a tiresome chore when over 50% of the 119 items in the collection are worthless.

The characters themselves are decent in variety and play styles, but quickly become annoying with only five or six voice lines repeated endlessly during each of the 20min+ missions. This includes the spider mech and audio clips played during missions; which do not vary in the slightest and are annoying from the start. Like Borderlands, each character has a skill tree that gets upgraded to include abilities and buffs as the character levels up. Within each mission, the character progresses through 10 levels to boost and enable new skills along the way. After completing several missions with the same character, new skill options are brought in to the tree. While some are major improvements; others require you to sacrifice already-better ability buffs from the stock choices. Some of the initial characters become much more powerful after using them repeatedly; while other late-game characters are simply not worth unlocking.

The biggest issues I have with the game are related to the horrible programming -- where enemies have finished spawning but the wave does not get marked as completed; leaving the mission in a stand-still that nobody is able to complete, effectively having wasted everyone's time getting to that point. The level geometry is also abysmal at times: where characters get stuck on uneven ridges, can't mount a ledge after jumping and including platforming over death pits, where enemies are able to easily knock most players in to. The platforming sections aren't so terrible, but navigating some of the lovely map design is tedious when half the group doesn't know where to go.

I guess the game has its nuances that can make it shine at times, but they are often outweighed by the myriad of issues I've had since the original Borderlands game so it's a real coin toss on what audience older than teenagers would enjoy 100% of the game.

Thanks for reading; please judge me in your private thoughts.

Video Nasty fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 1, 2016

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Bill NYSE posted:

... quickly become annoying with only five or six voice lines repeated endlessly during each of the 20min+ missions. This includes the spider mech and audio clips played during missions; which do not vary in the slightest and are annoying from the start. ...

Ok, this is where I can for sure say that you're wrong, because there's different lines and even different characters reading for portions of the same map on future play-throughs. I'd be playing through a map for the tenth or thirteenth time and still hear new dialogue or hear a different character chime in with a joke or quip.

Some of your other complaints are valid, though. Specifically the "edginess" of the ground being unreasonably blocking sometimes.

And you say it's "not a great game," but you've spent over 60 hours on it? How many hours do you spend on terrible games, then? 40?

Malseth
Aug 18, 2008
Fun Shoe
i enjoy the game but still find this funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FElmjlzdSSM

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Blasphemeral posted:

Ok, this is where I can for sure say that you're wrong, because there's different lines and even different characters reading for portions of the same map on future play-throughs. I'd be playing through a map for the tenth or thirteenth time and still hear new dialogue or hear a different character chime in with a joke or quip.

Some of your other complaints are valid, though. Specifically the "edginess" of the ground being unreasonably blocking sometimes.

And you say it's "not a great game," but you've spent over 60 hours on it? How many hours do you spend on terrible games, then? 40?

The only time I put into Battleborn is shared with a friend, so it doesn't usually feel like time wasted as opposed to a single-player "bad game" which I have definitely shelved my fair share of without spending more than an hour or two. Being on console makes a large difference for me as well.
The dialogue between characters may be different, but hearing the same lines when killing minions or healing allies has definitely repeated unnecessarily throughout a single session. I am thinking of Alani and the melee characters in particular. The audio from the "narrator" can definitely vary, whether the group has chosen an individual speaking as the narrator (Kleese or Melka, usually); and I'll grant you that it provides some variety; but I dropped the dialogue volume well below hearing range long ago. If more audio lines were included with the recent content bump for skins and taunts, I have most likely missed them.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I was reading through the first few pages of this thread and I found it really amusing that you have all these folks pre-release who are desperately trying to convince themselves that this game will be good, but then you check their thread history and they stop posting entirely immediately before or after the game comes out.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Still playing, still enjoying it. Anxious to play some new maps which should be out soon.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Bill NYSE posted:

It is absolutely not a great game.
I say this after[...] never touching the PvP elements

I'm sorry, but a review that doesn't touch on what effectively constitutes 70% of the game's draw is a bad review. The PvE is fun, but it is by no means the core gameplay experience - I played it enough to finish all of the story missions once (for unlocks) and then haven't touched it since.

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

Bill NYSE posted:

After completing the missions, a very detailed stats breakdown is presented along with character progression and a chance to review any new gear you've acquired. The stats don't really offer much more than bragging rights, and the lobby is disbanded as soon as the mission ends, so joining the same group of random players may become challenging. Gear can be sold for small increments of in-game currency to spend on more loot packs, more gear sets to select from or a larger storage space for your entire collection of gear items. Most of the gear is poo poo and won't satisfy the bump that most characters need for additional damage or attack speed. Some legendary gear is decent, but requires a large investment of shards to enable while playing through a map, and may not get activated until the final boss fight due to the cost. You cannot select multiple pieces of gear and mark them as junk - they must all be individually sold back, and this becomes a tiresome chore when over 50% of the 119 items in the collection are worthless.

The biggest issues I have with the game are related to the horrible programming -- where enemies have finished spawning but the wave does not get marked as completed; leaving the mission in a stand-still that nobody is able to complete, effectively having wasted everyone's time getting to that point. The level geometry is also abysmal at times: where characters get stuck on uneven ridges, can't mount a ledge after jumping and including platforming over death pits, where enemies are able to easily knock most players in to. The platforming sections aren't so terrible, but navigating some of the lovely map design is tedious when half the group doesn't know where to go.

How can you not have all your gear activated by the final boss of a story mission? The only way I can think of is that you didn't get any shards on purpose (but you still get some shards when others collect them) and equipped three legendaries on top of that.

When an enemy fails to spawn (it's actually stuck in it's spawn hole most of the time) if you wait a bit it will progress on it's own.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

As someone on the outside looking in, what's the next DLC in the season pass? Have they dropped any interesting balance changes through hotfixes lately?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Season pass gave you early access to the first new character, Alani. I think two weeks prior to the public. The newest character, Pendles, should be getting released tomorrow.
If there's any kind of worthwhile update from the development team. The past few weeks have been absent any actual new information.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
If anybody is on the fence about picking Battleborn up, it's $15 on Humbe Bundle right now along with a bunch of other games. Really drat good deal.

https://www.humblebundle.com/2k-games-bundle

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Vargs posted:

I was reading through the first few pages of this thread and I found it really amusing that you have all these folks pre-release who are desperately trying to convince themselves that this game will be good, but then you check their thread history and they stop posting entirely immediately before or after the game comes out.

I knew what I was getting into and I knew Overwatch would poo poo all over it, I had my fun when the game was new and still had a decent amount of players, now I just play the odd match or two and that's pretty much it.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Father Wendigo posted:

As someone on the outside looking in, what's the next DLC in the season pass? Have they dropped any interesting balance changes through hotfixes lately?

Huge updates coming this Thursday with balance fixes and new maps.

https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/209786543-PlayStation-4-Update-Hot-Fix-Information

This game is fun :) and has more variety than overwatch/paragon in my opinion. Also they increased the drop rates on legendaries through 7/25 so that's good.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

humpthewind posted:

Huge updates coming this Thursday with balance fixes and new maps.

https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/209786543-PlayStation-4-Update-Hot-Fix-Information

This game is fun :) and has more variety than overwatch/paragon in my opinion. Also they increased the drop rates on legendaries through 7/25 so that's good.

Wow. These notes still show no indication of when the new character will be released. It was stated Early July in promo materials and they haven't mentioned bip.

gbx software posted:

The description of Alani's level 5 Right Helix Augment, Full Saturation now displays the correct damage reduction in the Command Menu
This one change took several months for them to get corrected. The text previously said 0% in red and green to indicate how much of an in/decrease it would actually provide.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

I knew what I was getting into and I knew Overwatch would poo poo all over it, I had my fun when the game was new and still had a decent amount of players, now I just play the odd match or two and that's pretty much it.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I didn't really care about it, then bought it after the beta because I enjoyed myself enough. There are two things I really like about BB. One is that the multiplayer is very focused. You have frontlines, and not a lot of bullshit with people running around in circles. It feels good to have the game designed in a way that it draws players towards each other in hectic firefights. The other thing I really like about BB is that healers aren't always required. Overwatch kind of pisses me off in that it's another class-based multiplayer game I bought where I only get to play healers because I feel like I have to even things out when our attacking team has three snipers and another poor pub picked Reinhart. The Ana patch has exacerbated team composition bullshit and made me just not want to play, and the Humble sale has made it easier to find games in BB.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Picked up the game from someone who bought the Humble Bundle, €7 seems like a fair trade. Time to read through the thread for tid bits.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
Got this for the $15, any place that has a basic guide for stuff? some of things are a bit confusing,

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

The official website at http://www.battleborn.com will have tips & tricks straight from the developer team. If you're looking for a guide on how to play the game go for YouTube videos of someone playing the map you're struggling on. I also believe this user review on Giant Bomb summarizes the game quite well.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Anyone try out pendles yet? I haven't had a chance to play him yet.

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?

humpthewind posted:

Anyone try out pendles yet? I haven't had a chance to play him yet.

He's pretty drat good. While in stealth you're quicker than anything, stealth re-engages really quickly once you're hidden, you shed CC effects like they're nothing, and if you get the drop on someone you're taking a huge chunk out them. As for downsides, he's exactly as squishy as he should be, when you're not in stealth you move super slow, and his ranged attack is hot garbage. I wouldn't try to 100-0 any but the squishiest characters, and once you're face-up with someone you had better be planning your exit, but anyone already down some health and/or distracted by a team fight is in a world of trouble.

He's also charming as gently caress, A+ personality.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

Yeah. I love this game, but I always knew it didn't have a chance against Overwatch. Now it's just a matter of seeing how long servers exist.

It's kinda like enjoying any MMO that isn't WoW.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Its Double XP weekend again, so if you want to reach rank 15 with Pendles or whoever, now's the time, also for what its worth I've been finding matches pretty much instantly on PS4 this past week, so there's still life in this game yet.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It helps that at least on Xbox the game is on sale for i believe 30-40% off? That along with Rainbow Six Siege getting the same treatment and my favorite games of this year are getting more players! :v:

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

Judge Tesla posted:

Its Double XP weekend again, so if you want to reach rank 15 with Pendles or whoever, now's the time, also for what its worth I've been finding matches pretty much instantly on PS4 this past week, so there's still life in this game yet.

The sad thing is that story mode gives more xp than pvp.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hey, uh, do people stll play this game? I'm tentatively interested in playing a MOBA and I:
1.) Really prefer FPS to RTS
2.) Don't want to get screamed at by insane people in League of Legends
3.) Think some of the characters in this game look cool like Mushroom Man and Spider Lady and Angry Penguin in a Mech

Is it worth trying this game out? I probably won't be able to buy it for a while but figured I'd ask now.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It's fun and has some good things going for it. Many of the characters are unique and have some interesting play styles. There is a coop/single player campaign that is a good change of pace from pvp but gets old because there are only a handful of missions.

The player base is dwindling which is a shame because it can be a lot of fun, especially with other people. But it plays much slower than most FPS games, so it definitely has similarities to MOBAs. Even the rage quitters!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I don't have a ton of experience with MOBAs so I'd be going into this with only a basic understanding; I played League like twice and Smite once. Is there any kind of organized goon presence? Would be better to play with (hopefully) chill cool people than random angry pubbies.

I should say is there still a presence, I see there at least was one when the game launched.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 21, 2016

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

... I should say is there still a presence, I see there at least was one when the game launched.

It's weird: There's still new content being developed and releasing for the game, but not many people are still playing it. I think they're relying on the content drops and event weekends to bring people back from time to time.

Personally, I haven't even thought about playing it in months. I loved it at release, and playing with friends was a blast, but there's just not enough PvE content there for me. I didn't hate PvP but, despite there being different types of missions than you see elsewhere, it's just the same kind of people that are in every other PvP game.

I might jump back in a year or so from now and see the new stuff, if their servers are still live.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm primarily interested in it for the multiplayer, really. I didn't even know there was a single-player/co-op mode until I looked into the game a bit more. It's funny cuz I generally do not like PvP in MMOs, but I like team vs team FPS games like TF2 and Overwatch and Counterstrike and stuff. I've been watching some streams and the multiplayer in this actually looks pretty fun, but also very MOBAish, which is fine as a game style but I worry about running into screeching manchildren who will just poo poo on me cuz I'm new (double points for them if they're also poo poo at the game but wanna scream anyway).

I'm also worried because in my experience small communities in dying games are some of the least welcoming (despite the fact that they should be excited to see new players and want them to stick around so their game doesn't die).

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 22, 2016

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

I'm primarily interested in it for the multiplayer, really. I didn't even know there was a single-player/co-op mode until I looked into the game a bit more. It's funny cuz I generally do not like PvP in MMOs, but I like team vs team FPS games like TF2 and Overwatch and Counterstrike and stuff. I've been watching some streams and the multiplayer in this actually looks pretty fun, but also very MOBAish, which is fine as a game style but I worry about running into screeching manchildren who will just poo poo on me cuz I'm new (double points for them if they're also poo poo at the game but wanna scream anyway).

I'm also worried because in my experience small communities in dying games are some of the least welcoming (despite the fact that they should be excited to see new players and want them to stick around so their game doesn't die).

From my experience on PC, the community is mostly quiet with some occasional text chat and it's not very common to find someone with a mic. For the most part, they aren't super competitive that will rage at newbies let alone anyone who's not at level 100. Occasionally you get a rage quitter or the rare but annoying aimbot but everyone playing is mostly chill in my experience.

Unfortunately, it can take a while to get matched into a game since there are so few people playing and the game requires 10 players to start a match. I never really timed it myself but I always end up alt-tabbing out and doing something else while waiting to be matched because it feels like it takes over 10 minutes for the game to get started. It's really unfortunate that the small community hobbles how quickly you can get into a game. Compared to this, I prefer the ability to quickly jump into and out of a game like in Borderlands and pre-matchmaking TF2.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ah, well, I'll probably pick it up at some point, then. Hopefully it'll go on sale some time soon. I don't mind having to wait for games. I've been watching streams on Twitch and it actually looks really fun, even if Deformed Man With Minigun is one of the dumbest looking characters I've ever seen. All the other ones look cool and it does seem to have at least some of that Borderlands charm.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

They released another hero already? It feels like they just put out Pendels not to long ago? Then again i was away from the game for a while.

Doesn't seem like there have been huge changes since like i played either. Like when i came back and saw all the walls they put up around Overgrowth and that was just wow.

Monuments seems like kind of a bad map? Maybe i'm just not used to it yet but it's just so weirdly multi leveled.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

They released another hero already? It feels like they just put out Pendels not to long ago? Then again i was away from the game for a while.

Oh, wow, really? Have there been any more PvE maps/missions? That's my number-one complaint and the reason I'm not still playing. The one game mode I really enjoy is too short.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

The new character appears to be a pink bird with a grenade launcher

I've been watching some Twitch streams for this game and I think I'm pretty sold on it, just gonna wait for a steam sale to pick it up.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

The new character appears to be a pink bird with a grenade launcher

I've been watching some Twitch streams for this game and I think I'm pretty sold on it, just gonna wait for a steam sale to pick it up.

Ernest is pretty much TF2's Demoman with his stickybombs (which can be air detonated and used to sticky jump with one of his helix options) and a MIRV grenade as his ultimate. Along an egg that provides an AoE stat boosts to himself and allies. However with the stickybombs being a skill on a somewhat long timer, it can't be used as effectively as an offensive weapon or be nearly as mobile like in TF2. (At least without one of his helix options and a lot of cooldown reduction bonuses) He's still pretty fun to play despite being an almost complete ripoff of one of the best classes in TF2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah, it's almost like Gearbox knew I was considering playing Battleborn and also figured out that I love Demoman in TF2 and Junkrat in Overwatch and made this character just to tempt me

• Locked thread