Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
There was a VOIP thread but it got archived.

I have a small (5 employee) office and our phone system is basically a Grandstream PBX from 2008 and 5 Grandstream IP phones. It all works perfectly fine in our office but one of our employees is going to be working offsite for the forseeable future and needs to be able to connect remotely.

Other than spending too much time on the computer and above-average Google skills I don't know jack poo poo about computers so I've been having a bitch of a time trying to get remote extensions to connect to the PBX and it's all most likely due to NAT issues. And honestly I don't feel comfortable opening up ports on the router to allow internet access to the PBX because it's inevitably going to get bruteforced and used as an Indonesian call-center or whatever.

Unfortunately for me, due to the nature of our work, I can't have the offsite employee making calls from his personal phone because a) It would get expensive, and b) our clients are olds and change makes them nervous.

I also need to keep our current phone numbers (see b) above) so changing our SIP provider is not an option. I'm not in the US so assume # portability is not an option.

What's the easiest way for me to either a) somehow jury rig my current PBX to to accept remote connections without waking up one morning to a $10,000 bill, or b) use some sort of PBX service on the cloud that allows me to use my current SIP provider instead of hiring theirs.

I'm willing to pay a monthly fee if it means not having to set up and manage my own Asterisk server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'd really rather use a hardware phone, since this is not a technical user and he will be working almost exclusively from home.

I've been mulling it over and I think the "easiest" solution will be to get him a router that supports ddwrt and have the router OpenVPN into the office network.

Then I just hardwire the phone to the router and it should connect transparently to the PBX at the office.

Not the cleanest solution, but hopefully it'll work. I think I have spare router that I could use to try it out.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
gently caress me I've been trying to get ddwrt to connect to my Asus router via OpenVPN for the better part of a day now and it's no use.

Probably gonna end up buying another Asus router just for this.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

I appreciate the suggestions but I'm not in the US, getting one of these will be more of a hassle than it's worth, not to mention I'll have to pay almost double what it costs for you guys.

This isn't mission critical plus the employee will only be doing this for a few months. I'm gonna see if I can solve this on the cheap, worst case scenario he has to use his home phone it's not a big deal.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I installed AsteriskNOW on a VM to play with and goddamn, I'm sorry for everyone that has to cj this professionally, you are not paid nearly enough.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

The learning curve is very steep, but once you get the hang of the product it's not as terrible as it seems at first.

In the end most of my problems came down to NAT issues as usual, but yeah, it seems to be mostly working now. I just wish it had better SIP error logging (why the gently caress do I have to manually enable SIP logging through the CLI every time I reboot?).

Also I had to literally reinstall the whole server three times because trying to upgrade to the newest version kept loving dependencies in new and exciting ways.

Other than that, it's chock full of really good features AND it's free so actually I'm sorry for my bitching Asterisk devs :shobon:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

You can but I don't. They just use the fax at the branch which shares a line with the Alarm.

FaxOIP - gently caress you it's 2016 just send me a dropbox link

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
(Yes, I know it's a compliance issue on most cases)

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have my Asterisk server set up and everything is working (mostly) fine.

One small issue I'm running into is that every so often, instead of Asterisk showing the incoming call from (for example) number "555-1234", it will show it as "SIP 1".

"SIP 1" happens to be the the ID I've assigned to this SIP trunk in my provider's web platform
(ie: my trunks are managed from my provider's web platform, and the platform requires me to have a "User" which is basically my phone number, and a an "ID" which is basically an identifier for the trunk.)

Without doing IP lookups, I'm almost 100% sure that this is happening on calls coming in from callers that use my same SIP provider.

Looking at the Asterisk logfile the most relevant information I can see is this:
code:
[2016-06-30 16:11:59] VERBOSE[23596][C-000000d3] res_agi.c: dialparties.agi: Caller ID name is 'SIP 1' number is '5551234'
Phones that receive the call show the caller as "SIP 1", and I want it to show "5551234".
I'm guessing this is probably a fuckup on my provider's side which is probably processing SIP invites in the worst possible manner.

Is there any setting in Asterisk I can add that will make it ignore the Caller ID and just use the number?

Edit: just so it's clear, "5551234" is not my number, it is the caller's number. "SIP 1", however, is the ID of my trunk in my provider's web platform.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 30, 2016

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've ever seen a business oriented service give out prices on their website*

Caveat: really big players, Google et al.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a reputable Online Fax service?

Need to fax some sensitive data to the US and while I know fax is poo poo for security, I'd rather not just use the first result off Google.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I know it's not at the same scale as you guys, and also I imagine US IPs get hit more often, but switching to a non-default port (ie: not 5060) basically drove down bruteforcing attempts on my PBX down to 0.

If it's a small operation I'd definitely recommend that + strong passwords + fail2ban.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I bought a Skype number some time ago and I keep getting spam calls (my guess is that whoever had the number before pretty much was a habitual debtor given that it's mostly collection agencies).

Is there one weird trick to getting a clean DID?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

CrazyLittle posted:

lol Meraki desk phones will accidentally hang up if exposed to infrared light

Like, if I point at them with a remote control or something?

• Locked thread