Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zomgcatsonfire
Apr 14, 2009
I've managed to lock myself out of my Windows installation.

While looking through my files I noticed the Windows Permissions seemed screwy (for instance, having two "Administration" security permissions, one with "Read only" and one with "Full Access". The "Read only" wasn't needed) and decided to clean them up.

After cleaning up the affected files and setting everything back to how I thought I found it, I restarted my computer.
I then found out that I got stuck at a loading screen at boot, Windows 10 could no longer access the login programs that brought up the Users and password login.

I have access to a cmd terminal via a Windows 10 ISO image, so theoretically if I know what folder or program needs a permission change, I should be able to get my Windows 10 running again.

The problem is that I don't know what folder I need to be looking in (it'll be one of the "Windows" Folders, I know that much) and I don't know the cmd imput that could change the permissions for a file.

Any help with this issue appreciated! It must literally be a line of code in cmd that will give me access to Windows 10 again, but I'm not tech savey enough how to do that yet.

p.s. I have access to WinRE via the CD boot, but I'm trying to avoid rolling back my system or re installing Windows 10 in case I run into the same issue in the future. I think it's just one permission that needs adding via cmd line that will let the Windows boot access the account login programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread