Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm starting this thread because I'm really trying to define who should be under this umbrella term and why they have the influence they have in this country.

We've seen a lot of great strides made in the name of tolerance and acceptance made in various state, local and national levels. This has been fantastic to see and I'm very proud of my country for doing such things.

However, the religious right seems to still have (sadly) the organizational skills to influence and create laws designed to hurt LGBTQ americans, women and to a lesser extent? minorities.

There seems to almost be a "southern strategy" at work here as well. After losing the battle for Gay Marriage? They've taken it upon themselves to find new ways to ensure discrimination happens at the state and local levels. Things ranging from ensuring LGBTQ individuals don't receive charity from churches to creating laws barring transgender people from using their sex's bathroom.

My question is..when do they stop being such a major influence in parts of this country and when do we see them treated like religious fanatics of the past? (IE Salem Witch Trials, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

For that to happen, Christianity needs to lose its foothold as the dominant religion in America. I'm not saying we need to ban it, but we do need people of other faiths to be more prominent in the public. This will at least force the right to re-evaluate the echo chamber they exist in. What do other religions have to do with LGBT right? Very little, but you'd be amazed at how much a re-evaluation of some of their beliefs could change all of their beliefs.

Support for say LGBT rights is increasing over the years, so maybe not even that will be necessary. So long as the public overwhelmingly accepts LGBT rights, the religious will follow suit. This is even happening right now, the states which passed those LGBT laws are being shunned, some corporations even refuse to do business with them in protest. This is all just happening super, super slowly.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

For that to happen, Christianity needs to lose its foothold as the dominant religion in America. I'm not saying we need to ban it, but we do need people of other faiths to be more prominent in the public. This will at least force the right to re-evaluate the echo chamber they exist in. What do other religions have to do with LGBT right? Very little, but you'd be amazed at how much a re-evaluation of some of their beliefs could change all of their beliefs.

Support for say LGBT rights is increasing over the years, so maybe not even that will be necessary. So long as the public overwhelmingly accepts LGBT rights, the religious will follow suit. This is even happening right now, the states which passed those LGBT laws are being shunned, some corporations even refuse to do business with them in protest. This is all just happening super, super slowly.

I'm of the belief that perhaps it's time we tax churches and religious organizations who want to take part in the political process.

To quote George Carlin? "You want in the show? Pay the price of admission just like everyone else".

Seriously it seems these people are able to dump a lot of cash into lobbyists and various politicians for them to do their bidding. If one could find a way to turn that spigot off? I think the country would be able to move forward very quickly.

EndlessRob
Oct 16, 2008
It seems to be that it's easier to write and gain support for prohibitive laws than it is to do the same for laws that protect minority classes. This is also exacerbated by the faux-intellectual moderate idea that when presented with two options "the truth is somewhere in the middle". It's really an ugly collaboration of cynical strategy to get "values voters" to the voting booth with regressive legislation and the lazy complicity of said moderates.

This will continue for as long as "stop being intolerant of my intolerance" is a viable rhetorical technique, which probably won't be until the American left stops treating religious views as applied to social policy as sacrosanct.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

My question is..when do they stop being such a major influence in parts of this country and when do we see them treated like religious fanatics of the past? (IE Salem Witch Trials, etc).

Never. In time, their beliefs will shift and they'll move to using religion as their excuse to be conservative assholes about some other set of social issues.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

You're correct that we're seeing an organized campaign against LGBT people, and that it's basically a cynical move to turn out the social conservative vote. I think the silver lining is that while this campaign will do some damage in the short term, it is basically a rearguard action by conservatives who have to do this kind of thing to stay relevant. They lost on same-sex marriage and it's obvious they will lose (overall) on protections for transgender people and whatever stupid bugaboo they have next week. Overall demographics are not on their side and political trends don't seem to be going their way either. So I think we can expect to see the religious right play a significant role for a long time to come, but not the kind of role where they get to boss around a whole party for much longer.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

You're correct that we're seeing an organized campaign against LGBT people, and that it's basically a cynical move to turn out the social conservative vote. I think the silver lining is that while this campaign will do some damage in the short term, it is basically a rearguard action by conservatives who have to do this kind of thing to stay relevant. They lost on same-sex marriage and it's obvious they will lose (overall) on protections for transgender people and whatever stupid bugaboo they have next week. Overall demographics are not on their side and political trends don't seem to be going their way either. So I think we can expect to see the religious right play a significant role for a long time to come, but not the kind of role where they get to boss around a whole party for much longer.

I don't know, I think it can be dangerous to underestimate them, they've been around since the dawn of politics after all.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Megaspel posted:

I don't know, I think it can be dangerous to underestimate them, they've been around since the dawn of politics after all.

No they haven't, the Religious Right as you know it (connected with stuff like the Moral Majority and so on) is a fairly recent phenomenon in American political history that is still mostly limited to the US and can't be easily translated into other political contexts.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yes. Put more bluntly, things will get better as the old guard ages and dies off. Unless aggressively sheltered their grandkids have access to too much information and too many alternate perspectives for hardcore religious fundamentalism to survive leaving the nest except in small town backwaters.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Haskell9 posted:

Yes. Put more bluntly, things will get better as the old guard ages and dies off. Unless aggressively sheltered their grandkids have access to too much information and too many alternate perspectives for hardcore religious fundamentalism to survive leaving the nest except in small town backwaters.

Unfortunately, in the near term this will only be true for the nations of the west. As cultural and political globalization continues, I feel like there will be an increasingly international and inter-regional flavor to the fight against religious orthodoxy and fundamentalism. It's all well and good that Christian churches in Europe, America and (gradually) South America are contracting in size and cleaning the worst garbage out of their sermons; but that still leaves (for example) the massive, pulsating cultural tumors that are African Catholicism and African Evangelical Protestantism to deal with.

This presents an additional problem because, among the western secular left, this novel idea has arisen that people from other parts of the globe and other cultural backgrounds should be immune from any criticism. It is entirely possible that western nations whose current populations are secularizing will, nevertheless, be bullied into instituting de-facto religious speech codes and enabling the creation of "aggressively sheltered" religious communities out of fear of being labeled racist. At the moment, this trend is mostly centered around a certain other religion, but I believe that ultra-patriarchal strains of Christianity will start using the same tactics.

We've already started to see some of this in the western hemisphere, with (for example) criticism of and political action against the repugnant cultural politics of Jamaica being countered with accusations of "imperialism" calculated to appeal to a certain segment of the multicultural left.

These future threats raise two important questions: How do we prevent religious conservatives from opportunistically using multiculturalism to preserve their lovely beliefs and oppressive communities? And if we can't, is multiculturalism still a worthwhile rubric?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Liberal_L33t posted:

Unfortunately, in the near term this will only be true for the nations of the west. As cultural and political globalization continues, I feel like there will be an increasingly international and inter-regional flavor to the fight against religious orthodoxy and fundamentalism. It's all well and good that Christian churches in Europe, America and (gradually) South America are contracting in size and cleaning the worst garbage out of their sermons; but that still leaves (for example) the massive, pulsating cultural tumors that are African Catholicism and African Evangelical Protestantism to deal with.

This presents an additional problem because, among the western secular left, this novel idea has arisen that people from other parts of the globe and other cultural backgrounds should be immune from any criticism. It is entirely possible that western nations whose current populations are secularizing will, nevertheless, be bullied into instituting de-facto religious speech codes and enabling the creation of "aggressively sheltered" religious communities out of fear of being labeled racist. At the moment, this trend is mostly centered around a certain other religion, but I believe that ultra-patriarchal strains of Christianity will start using the same tactics.

We've already started to see some of this in the western hemisphere, with (for example) criticism of and political action against the repugnant cultural politics of Jamaica being countered with accusations of "imperialism" calculated to appeal to a certain segment of the multicultural left.

These future threats raise two important questions: How do we prevent religious conservatives from opportunistically using multiculturalism to preserve their lovely beliefs and oppressive communities? And if we can't, is multiculturalism still a worthwhile rubric?

A) Multiculturalism is not about tolerating any and all cultural beliefs equally, multiculturalism is about not having a single hegemonic culture/ethnic group by which Moral Rightness is judged in society. Similarly, cultural relativism is not about never making value judgements, it's about properly understanding things before evaluating them.

B) Wringing your hands about how secular/not secular other countries are is a goddamn waste of time because there's nothing you can do about it. What do you propose? Invade and "civilize" them, as befits the Atheist Man's Burden?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Liberal_L33t posted:

Maybe you actually work on your own countries problems rather then forcing other countries to act how you want. Causes alot less bloodshed which no one wants.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

B) Wringing your hands about how secular/not secular other countries are is a goddamn waste of time because there's nothing you can do about it. What do you propose? Invade and "civilize" them, as befits the Atheist Man's Burden?

He's under the impression that something about Islam makes its supporters violent, and no amount of evidence to the contrary convinces him otherwise. So, yeah basically what you said.

Liberal_L33t posted:

Prove it. I'm serious. I want to see some actual, non-bullshit scientific articles on this. This is at best a point of view made from misconstrued statements and at worst a belief born out of Islamophobic, FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD-esque e-mails.
This is the sort of rhetoric I expect from the EDL, you are describing their absurd "Islamization of Europe" to a T and it has no basis in society.

And I know you mean Islam no need to be coy

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 11, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Most of the religious dickbags that qualify as the religious right make bad policies not because of religion, but because of their personal desires. It just happens that Christianity can be used as something to stand behind and shout "god says so". If these same people weren't religious or of a different religion, they'd still make the same bad policies, just they wouldn't fly the christian banner to defend their personal desires.
Gradually things are changing, but that's because we're slowly kicking the old 60 year old bigots that laughed at blacks getting the fire hose out as they retire or die off. It's an ongoing pattern that needs time as each generation becomes more liberal than the last.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

SocketWrench posted:

as each generation becomes more liberal than the last.

Just as progress needs to be worked for, each generation becoming more liberal cannot be taken for granted.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SSNeoman posted:

He's under the impression that something about Islam makes its supporters violent, and no amount of evidence to the contrary convinces him otherwise. So, yeah basically what you said.

Prove it. I'm serious. I want to see some actual, non-bullshit scientific articles on this. This is at best a point of view made from misconstrued statements and at worst a belief born out of Islamophobic, FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD-esque e-mails.
This is the sort of rhetoric I expect from the EDL, you are describing their absurd "Islamization of Europe" to a T and it has no basis in society.

And I know you mean Islam no need to be coy

I know he does but even taking Islam out of the question I'm pretty sure trying to force cultural change from afar as an outsider has literally never gone over well, let alone on religious matters. That's the kind of thing that 100% of the time just puts said culture in a defensive, reactionary curl that makes things worse.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

SocketWrench posted:

Most of the religious dickbags that qualify as the religious right make bad policies not because of religion, but because of their personal desires. It just happens that Christianity can be used as something to stand behind and shout "god says so". If these same people weren't religious or of a different religion, they'd still make the same bad policies, just they wouldn't fly the christian banner to defend their personal desires.

Um not really. Their religion absolutely plays a role (although some of the more cynical leaders might just be using it as a tool). To say that religion has no role in shaping the worldviews and ethical beliefs of ultraconservative evangelicalists is ridiculous.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HappyHippo posted:

Um not really. Their religion absolutely plays a role (although some of the more cynical leaders might just be using it as a tool). To say that religion has no role in shaping the worldviews and ethical beliefs of ultraconservative evangelicalists is ridiculous.

liberal evangelicals exist, as do non-dickhole devout social conservatives. people who want to be bastards will find one reason or another, and as religion is completely open to both interpretation and application there's very little point to trying to tease out some theological basis on which someone is a bastard about something

people who are really devout and use religious justification to hate on someone tend to view the world through a spiritual lens. they probably also have religious justifications for brushing their teeth a certain way or driving slowly in the fast lane, because their lives are just stuffed full of religion. this doesn't necessarily mean that analyzing or dissembling religion will prevent these people from being bastards

if anything, this reputation that deep old time religion is a haven of social regressives and bastards is in my opinion a significant driver of increasing secularism among youth

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

HappyHippo posted:

As PTD said, people making these poo poo policies are going to be bastards one way or another. Bastards exist in every religious and non religious bent. It's just that the current ones united under one party and are dead set on setting certain policies because that's what they feel, religious background or not.
Take health care for example. This same group of people railed and cried and screamed about the wrongness of healthcare and did all they could to prevent or bastardize the deal. BUT, they were also crowing about how awesome the same exact idea was when their guy (Romney) was prancing around trying to get into office. Hell, when things go the way they want (supreme court nominee for instance), they kicked and screamed and fought against it simply because it was a democrat black guy that nominated him.
These people will willingly make the country tank to get their way for the simple reason that their party didn't get the credit.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Popular Thug Drink posted:

liberal evangelicals exist, as do non-dickhole devout social conservatives. people who want to be bastards will find one reason or another, and as religion is completely open to both interpretation and application there's very little point to trying to tease out some theological basis on which someone is a bastard about something

people who are really devout and use religious justification to hate on someone tend to view the world through a spiritual lens. they probably also have religious justifications for brushing their teeth a certain way or driving slowly in the fast lane, because their lives are just stuffed full of religion. this doesn't necessarily mean that analyzing or dissembling religion will prevent these people from being bastards

if anything, this reputation that deep old time religion is a haven of social regressives and bastards is in my opinion a significant driver of increasing secularism among youth

Yes there are religious people who aren't assholes, that isn't the point. There are a wide variety of beliefs that fall under "Christianity;" some groups have very liberal beliefs while others have very regressive/conservative beliefs. My point is that within those regressive groups religion is absolutely playing a role in shaping their views. These people aren't born bastards, they've been brought up this way and religion is very much a part of that upbringing.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HappyHippo posted:

These people aren't born bastards, they've been brought up this way and religion is very much a part of that upbringing.

just because religion is a part of someone's personality doesn't imply that religion is a cause or effect of any horrible opinions they might have. imagine some nerd who is so into tabletop gaming that they actually use warhammer as a metaphor for life, and they are also a massive racist. if they refer to minorities as orcs does this mean that tabletop gaming is a contributor to racism? or does it mean that this person is using specific language to express a disconnected horrible opinion?

there's very little in the bible that actually speaks against homosexuality, and it says nothing about transgender persons. it says a fair amount about love, acceptance, and not being a douche. i dont see how we can then say that christianity is a root cause of anti-LGBT attitudes versus plain old social conservativism, general suspicious xenophobia, and being uncomfortable with change. religious upbringing being used as a justification to hate isn't because of religion, it's because of hate

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
My two cents:

Any change for American Christianity is going to have to come from within. You can't force a culture to change (look at France and its anti-veil laws), any attempt by an outside force to do that simply causes the culture to become more resistant and dig in its heels.

That said I do think that change is occurring among American Christians. I can only speak from anecdotal experience of those I know and have met but my impression from those I know is that they see the "culture war" as less and less important then things like economic injustice and environmental damage.

Lastly I think it's partially a matter of visibility. Lets face it, what gets more airtime on Fox or CNN: The latest hateful thing Franklin Graham or Mike Huckabee says or Shane Claiborne and Rachel Held Evans (whose blog is really, really worth reading to get a look at the mindset of young evangelicals http://rachelheldevans.com/blog/ ) doing genuinely good work? It's similar to the whole right-wing talking point of "Where are the moderate Muslims condemning terrorism? Why don't they?" when there are countless Muslims doing just that.

Of course I might be 100% wrong here.

http://time.com/4078909/evangelical-millennials/

quote:

Why the Young Religious Right Is Leaning Left

Deborah Jian Lee is the author of Rescuing Jesus: How People of Color, Women and Queer Christians are Reclaiming Evangelicalism.

Alicia Crosby stood at the edge of a strobe-lit dance floor as Kelly Clarkson’s “People Like Us” thumped through the speakers during Pride weekend in New York City in 2013. Like many millennial evangelicals, Alicia, an African-American, had grown up in a world riven by the culture wars; a few years earlier she had called a lesbian Christian friend “an abomination.”

Then she heard the long version of her friend’s story, one of feeling torn between her faith and her sexuality. Her friend’s words filled Alicia with empathy and motivated her to attend this Pride party. As she watched the crowd thrash to Clarkson’s dedication to the “lost and forgotten,” Alicia said that she realized that “they were dancing their truth.”

Alicia began re-examining her theologically conservative understanding of sexuality, studying the historical context of anti-gay Bible passages. She concluded that these verses referred to demeaning practices, like ancient temple prostitution, not the committed same-sex couples she knew. Biblical exegesis prompted similar reassessments of gender and race, braiding together a spiritual coming-of-age that has made Alicia an advocate for people on the margins.

Today, at 29, she co-leads the Center for Inclusivity, a Chicago-based nonprofit, where she organizes programs that support communities at the intersections of faith, gender and sexuality. She also facilitates conversations with evangelical leaders about cultivating LGBT-inclusive churches. Her views on the LGBT community may have shifted, but what hasn’t changed is her commitment to her faith.

To the dismay of many older evangelicals and conservative politicians hoping to court “the evangelical vote,” Alicia is part of a growing number of young believers who are spurning the religious right, defying neat political labels and embracing progressive values not in spite of their faith, but because of it.

Progressive evangelicals have been a weak but constant force since the 1970s—but that’s changing. The religious right has lost its hold among millennial Americans: About 23% are religious progressives, twice the portion of those 68 and older (12%), according to the Public Religion Research Institute. White evangelical millennials are also twice as likely as evangelicals over 65 to support same-sex marriage. And their missional attitude toward changing their communities makes them a unique force.

America has become more secular, and membership in every branch of U.S. Christianity has dwindled—except evangelicalism. A growing minority of millennial evangelicals look much like Alicia—increasingly they are non-white and much more likely to support progressive issues including social justice, equal rights, marriage equality and combatting climate change.

This shift has rocked the evangelical establishment, which is grappling with how to respond to a generation that is no longer galvanized by opposition to abortion and gay marriage, or by the call to self-reliance and buttoned-up piety. These young, diverse evangelicals have a missionary zeal of their own: They want to shed the shackles of right-wing politics and take ownership of the gospel as they understand it.

Some conservatives feel that this shift toward progressive values is simply Christian submission to secular forces and an abandonment of true faith. “Capitulating to the culture is not courageous,” writes Owen Strachen, president of the Council for Biblical Manhood and Womanhood, for Patheos.

But progressive evangelicals are not adopting the mantle of the political left wholesale. Rather, they’re living out core evangelical values in fresh and fascinating ways. They’re also taking the familiar jargon of evangelicalism and reimagining the vocabulary. For example, my college roommate, a devout evangelical, said that her anti-abortion convictions compelled her to vote for George W. Bush in 2000. But when she saw how Republicans dealt with life beyond the womb, her “pro-life” beliefs came to stand for more than wanting to curb abortion. She began considering the implications of policies on economics, the military, education, the environment, and race—and she has voted Democrat ever since.

For decades, some conservative leaders have drawn their own boundaries defining which theological beliefs are truly “biblical.” But now that young progressives are exegeting scripture themselves, they’ve lifted up marginalized theologies, such as black liberation and feminist theology. They’ve carried on the evangelical tradition of rigorous hermeneutics.

Young evangelicals reject the idea that the “good news,” or the salvation promise, is only granted to those who hold to conservative dictates and 1950s gender roles. For example, at Wheaton College, evangelical Christian evangelist Billy Graham’s alma mater, students have vocally opposed the “community covenant” that states that scripture condemns “homosexual behavior.” Last year, feminist leader Jordan-Ashley Barney and LGBT activist Justin Massey organized a demonstration before a speech on Christianity and sexuality. Students held signs that read “I’m gay and a beloved child of God,” and “We’re all loved by God.” Their message: The “good news” is for everybody.

Evangelical millennials are not capitulating to secular culture. If anything, their esteem for the Bible’s authority and Jesus’ teachings reveal a faith that’s as robust as ever—and deeply, profoundly, unquestionably evangelical.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 11, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nckdictator posted:

My two cents:

Any change for American Christianity is going to have to come from within. You can't force a culture to change (look at France and its anti-veil laws), any attempt by an outside force to do that simply causes the culture to become more resistant and dig in its heels.

That said I do think that change is occurring among American Christians. I can only speak from anecdotal experience of those I know and have met but my impression from those I know is that they see the "culture war" as less and less important then things like economic injustice and environmental damage.

Lastly I think it's partially a matter of visibility. Lets face it, what gets more airtime on Fox or CNN: The latest hateful thing Franklin Graham or Mike Huckabee says or Shane Claiborne and Rachel Held Evans (whose blog is really, really worth reading to get a look at the mindset of young evangelicals http://rachelheldevans.com/blog/ ) doing genuinely good work? It's similar to the whole right-wing talking point of "Where are the moderate Muslims condemning terrorism? Why don't they?" when there are countless Muslims doing just that.

Of course I might be 100% wrong here.

http://time.com/4078909/evangelical-millennials/

http://rachelheldevans.com/blog/persecution-complex

That was a really good post and article. It gives me hope that the bad shitheads can be washed out evangelicalism.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
There's nothing about Evangelical Christianity that forces it to be hard right. I was a member of the Christian Union in Uni (UK) and they were hardcore Evangelical - and the biggest bunch of lefties you ever met. The UK church is generally associated with left-wing causes. There was some anti-gay and anti-feminist stuff bubbling under but it was not a focus. Everyone was really enthused on the "Jubilee 2000" movement which was about forgiving Third World debt. "Lefty Vicars" are a perpetual figure of fun in the UK.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

just because religion is a part of someone's personality doesn't imply that religion is a cause or effect of any horrible opinions they might have. imagine some nerd who is so into tabletop gaming that they actually use warhammer as a metaphor for life, and they are also a massive racist. if they refer to minorities as orcs does this mean that tabletop gaming is a contributor to racism? or does it mean that this person is using specific language to express a disconnected horrible opinion?

there's very little in the bible that actually speaks against homosexuality, and it says nothing about transgender persons. it says a fair amount about love, acceptance, and not being a douche. i dont see how we can then say that christianity is a root cause of anti-LGBT attitudes versus plain old social conservativism, general suspicious xenophobia, and being uncomfortable with change. religious upbringing being used as a justification to hate isn't because of religion, it's because of hate

You're falling into this trap where you look at "Christianity" as a whole, see that there are many different beliefs, and then try to say that therefore these specific beliefs are not religious in origin. The problem with that is that there are many varieties of Christians, and they can and do hold extremely different beliefs that nonetheless are still religious in origin. Trying to discern what's the "real" Christainity is a fool's errand. The bible is not the sole determinant of religious belief (indeed, in many cases it plays a minor role). If someone passes on to their child their belief homosexuality is sin against God that's a religious teaching whether it came from the bible or not. I'm not saying that "Christianity" makes people hate gays, I'm saying that certain varieties of it do.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HappyHippo posted:

You're falling into this trap where you look at "Christianity" as a whole, see that there are many different beliefs, and then try to say that therefore these specific beliefs are not religious in origin. The problem with that is that there are many varieties of Christians, and they can and do hold extremely different beliefs that nonetheless are still religious in origin. Trying to discern what's the "real" Christainity is a fool's errand. The bible is not the sole determinant of religious belief (indeed, in many cases it plays a minor role). If someone passes on to their child their belief homosexuality is sin against God that's a religious teaching whether it came from the bible or not. I'm not saying that "Christianity" makes people hate gays, I'm saying that certain varieties of it do.

i'm really confused how you can argue "don't paint all religious people or interpretations of christianity with a broad brush" in support of the argument "we must figure out what's wrong with religious people and christianity that causes some of them to be bigots"

you seem really stuck on the idea that hate wrapped in some interpretation of religion must mean that this type of religion causes hate somehow. sorry dude i'm not buying it

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

i'm really confused how you can argue "don't paint all religious people or interpretations of christianity with a broad brush" in support of the argument "we must figure out what's wrong with religious people and christianity that causes some of them to be bigots"

you seem really stuck on the idea that hate wrapped in some interpretation of religion must mean that this type of religion causes hate somehow. sorry dude i'm not buying it

I'm saying that "people are just bastards, religion plays no role here!" is absolutely ridiculous. Also don't put words in my mouth, again I'm not blaming "Christianity" or religious people as a whole, I'm blaming certain flavors of it. It sounds like you've made up some idea of what I'm arguing in your mind and disagreeing with that rather than what I've actually written here.

Edit: also seriously? If someone is brought up their whole life being told that gayness is sinful, and they hate gay people, you think that upbringing didn't cause the hate? They're just intrinsically an rear end in a top hat?

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 11, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

That's not something you need to imagine, that's unfortunately very real. Whooooooole lotta Neo-nazi types in the Warhammer, and to a lesser extent wargaming in general, scene.

But I'm not so sure you can so wholly separate the influence that Warhammer, or religion, can have on the formation of people's beliefs and opinions. Can we say for certain that this hypothetical person would absolutely still be a massive racist without the influence of a fantasy where different races are lesser beings? Was he always destined for that position and the path he takes was meaningless because all roads lead to Rome? Or would he instead be a different person if he had joined his school's Student UN Club instead hanging out at the Games Workshop tables all day?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
There's clearly something special about evangelical Christianity with regards to their views on homosexuality and sexuality in general. With many other denominations of Christianity or other religions there's not such a strong association with anti-gay beliefs.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MaxxBot posted:

There's clearly something special about evangelical Christianity with regards to their views on homosexuality and sexuality in general. With many other denominations of Christianity or other religions there's not such a strong association with anti-gay beliefs.

there's some sorting factor involved here, people can freely move between the different protestant denominations without it really being thought of as a conversion so you can kind of shop around for a religious expression that fits your views rather than having your views modified by a fixed religious upbringing

Who What Now posted:

But I'm not so sure you can so wholly separate the influence that Warhammer, or religion, can have on the formation of people's beliefs and opinions.

in the example though of a parent using religion to teach hatred though we're focusing on the religious component of the upbringing and not, you know, the upbringing

parents using religious terms and justifications to teach hatred isn't a problem with religion in my mind

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I was flipping through the dial like I'm prone to do and overheard some sort of preacher ranting about how "CHRISTIANS ARE HATED BY THE WORLD. JESUS SAID SO! JESUS SAYS THE WORLD HATES US!".

Which left me a bit puzzled as it were. Like most people I've known that would be deemed as "secular" have some sort of religious belief, and the one that's don't? Are very apathetic about one's faith.

I don't have a problem with "secular" media and "secular" beliefs because I don't find them to be that bad in terms of interfering with one's relationship with God or their religion.

I don't think "The West" as it were has much of a "hatred" towards Christian, which makes that particular bit of martyrdom very puzzling. Are there rear end in a top hat internet atheists? Sure! But that's not exactly a major group of people or anything.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

there's some sorting factor involved here, people can freely move between the different protestant denominations without it really being thought of as a conversion so you can kind of shop around for a religious expression that fits your views rather than having your views modified by a fixed religious upbringing

in the example though of a parent using religion to teach hatred though we're focusing on the religious component of the upbringing and not, you know, the upbringing

parents using religious terms and justifications to teach hatred isn't a problem with religion in my mind

So through a "religious upbringing" a religious parent teaches their child with "religious terms and justifications" that being gay is sin against god and they pick a "protestant denomination" with the same "religious expression" but somehow religion hasn't had a cause or effect on their belief?

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Yeah, this is also a factor in explaining why Roman Catholics are relatively evenly-divided, tilting toward favorable on the issue. Converting from Catholicism to a Protestant denomination is a very, very big jump for a lot of people: Catholics place a lot of value on the unity of the Church and the reality of the Sacraments, so people are more likely to continue attending Mass and/or identifying as Catholic even if their politics change.

HappyHippo posted:

So through a "religious upbringing" a religious parent teaches their child with "religious terms and justifications" that being gay is sin against god and they pick a "protestant denomination" with the same "religious expression" but somehow religion hasn't had a cause or effect on their belief?

The point is that people will tend to change denominations if their views alter sufficiently, and most Protestant communities don't find that unusual or consider it a "conversion," so it would be expected that the "evangelical" segment would tilt heavily anti-gay-marriage.

Bel_Canto fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 11, 2016

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Bel_Canto posted:

The point is that people will tend to change denominations if their views alter sufficiently, and most Protestant communities don't find that unusual or consider it a "conversion," so it would be expected that the "evangelical" segment would tilt heavily anti-gay-marriage.

It doesn't mean their view isn't a sincerely held religious belief, nor does it mean that said belief isn't reinforced and amplified by the chosen denomination.

Also do you think people choose their denomination based solely on agreement with their beliefs around something as narrow homosexuality, or do you think they choose based on general agreement with their overall religious worldview?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I was flipping through the dial like I'm prone to do and overheard some sort of preacher ranting about how "CHRISTIANS ARE HATED BY THE WORLD. JESUS SAID SO! JESUS SAYS THE WORLD HATES US!".

Which left me a bit puzzled as it were. Like most people I've known that would be deemed as "secular" have some sort of religious belief, and the one that's don't? Are very apathetic about one's faith.

I don't have a problem with "secular" media and "secular" beliefs because I don't find them to be that bad in terms of interfering with one's relationship with God or their religion.

I don't think "The West" as it were has much of a "hatred" towards Christian, which makes that particular bit of martyrdom very puzzling. Are there rear end in a top hat internet atheists? Sure! But that's not exactly a major group of people or anything.

there is some verse somewhere in the bible that says, if you are being persecuted, it means your doing the right thing. So thats where alot of the martyr poo poo sorta comes from.

Edit. its all in peter.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 11, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

HappyHippo posted:

Even assuming this was true, what exactly is the solution? Get rid of Religion?

There's this idea that if you were somehow to get rid of religion that the world would suddenly be perfect, that genocidal, homicidal nutjobs would suddenly realize that a veil was pulled from their eyes and they really don't want to kill people anymore, they had it all wrong.

If you want to talk about loving delusional and psychotic beliefs that have no basis in observable reality, that's a pretty drat good one right there. How exactly do you explain the eugenics movement? What part did religion have there? The Stalinist purges? The Khmer Rouge, the Nazis, the armies of Genghis Khan etc.?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Ddraig posted:

Even assuming this was true, what exactly is the solution? Get rid of Religion?

There's this idea that if you were somehow to get rid of religion that the world would suddenly be perfect, that genocidal, homicidal nutjobs would suddenly realize that a veil was pulled from their eyes and they really don't want to kill people anymore, they had it all wrong.

If you want to talk about loving delusional and psychotic beliefs that have no basis in observable reality, that's a pretty drat good one right there. How exactly do you explain the eugenics movement? What part did religion have there? The Stalinist purges? The Khmer Rouge, the Nazis, the armies of Genghis Khan etc.?

Jesus Christ, strawman much? I'm not implying any of that poo poo. I'm saying that religious beliefs are playing a role in the religious right's views on gay and trans people. I'm also saying that "they're just assholes looking for a justification" is a shallow and essentially incorrect analysis. I'm not saying anything about what kind of solution there is, or what sort of action should be taken, or that we need to get rid of religion, or that every bad thing ever is religiously motivated. Is that clear enough?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HappyHippo posted:

Jesus Christ, strawman much? I'm not implying any of that poo poo. I'm saying that religious beliefs are playing a role in the religious right's views on gay and trans people. I'm also saying that "they're just assholes looking for a justification" is a shallow and essentially incorrect analysis. I'm not saying anything about what kind of solution there is, or what sort of action should be taken, or that we need to get rid of religion, or that every bad thing ever is religiously motivated. Is that clear enough?

i don't see how "they're just assholes" is any shallower than "it's because of religion, somehow"

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

i don't see how "they're just assholes" is any shallower than "it's because of religion, somehow"

Because it tells you nothing about where these beliefs come from, how they spread, or why they're so persistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

HappyHippo posted:

Because it tells you nothing about where these beliefs come from, how they spread, or why they're so persistent.

But "Christianity" doesn't either, because there are Christians who don't share these beliefs, who abandon these beliefs, and who actively counter these beliefs, for every denomination.

• Locked thread