Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

For that to happen, Christianity needs to lose its foothold as the dominant religion in America. I'm not saying we need to ban it, but we do need people of other faiths to be more prominent in the public. This will at least force the right to re-evaluate the echo chamber they exist in. What do other religions have to do with LGBT right? Very little, but you'd be amazed at how much a re-evaluation of some of their beliefs could change all of their beliefs.

Support for say LGBT rights is increasing over the years, so maybe not even that will be necessary. So long as the public overwhelmingly accepts LGBT rights, the religious will follow suit. This is even happening right now, the states which passed those LGBT laws are being shunned, some corporations even refuse to do business with them in protest. This is all just happening super, super slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

B) Wringing your hands about how secular/not secular other countries are is a goddamn waste of time because there's nothing you can do about it. What do you propose? Invade and "civilize" them, as befits the Atheist Man's Burden?

He's under the impression that something about Islam makes its supporters violent, and no amount of evidence to the contrary convinces him otherwise. So, yeah basically what you said.

Liberal_L33t posted:

This presents an additional problem because, among the western secular left, this novel idea has arisen that people from other parts of the globe and other cultural backgrounds should be immune from any criticism. It is entirely possible that western nations whose current populations are secularizing will, nevertheless, be bullied into instituting de-facto religious speech codes and enabling the creation of "aggressively sheltered" religious communities out of fear of being labeled racist. At the moment, this trend is mostly centered around a certain other religion, but I believe that ultra-patriarchal strains of Christianity will start using the same tactics.

Prove it. I'm serious. I want to see some actual, non-bullshit scientific articles on this. This is at best a point of view made from misconstrued statements and at worst a belief born out of Islamophobic, FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD-esque e-mails.
This is the sort of rhetoric I expect from the EDL, you are describing their absurd "Islamization of Europe" to a T and it has no basis in society.

And I know you mean Islam no need to be coy

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 11, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

fspades posted:

Instead, why don't you just trust people and take them at their word when they say they are Christian, and are acting according to their spiritual beliefs?

Because when people are being anti-gay and are justifying it using the Bible, they are doing it because it gives them authority. They are being disingenuous, using scripture to perpetuate the narrative their local culture imprinted on them.
And "being a christian" is a broad, broad term. Asking one person whether Christianity upholds their view on LGBT doesn't even count as a sample size of 1.

• Locked thread