Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

computer parts posted:

It's silly to claim being anti-LGBT is religious because plenty of nominally atheist libertarians have called for an ending of all marriage.

I don't understand this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Source?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

computer parts posted:

Ron Paul wasn't/isn't and he was the face of that movement for quite a while.

You originally referred to marriage only and Ron Paul largely fell in line with the LP position on marriage being a private contract. If you'd specified other stuff like bakers not being allowed to discriminate against gays, that'd be something else.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

computer parts posted:

Ron Paul has demonstrated that he has many conservative Christian policies (such as trying to define life as beginning at conception). It's not a leap to conclude that he feels similarly about other topics, such as gays.

The important factor is that many of his followers are not necessary Christian, but think his beliefs are still the "right" ones. Thus, you have atheists opposing abortion and the like.

That... has nothing to do with whether replacing everyone's marriage licenses with civil union licenses and banning the government from using the word "marriage" is anti-gay though? You're focusing in on his reasons and you're probably correct in that. But there are other reasons people have fielded for getting government out of marriage, are they secretly anti-gay as well?

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 17, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

So do I secretly find gays icky because I think using the word "marriage" instead of "civil union" violates separation of church and state?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

rebel1608 posted:

I never denied this could happen.

In any case I want to lay out what I think your assertion is because I think we have gotten a tad sidetracked: you are asserting that libertarians, disgusted with the idea that gay people might get married, came up with the idea that marriage should be a private contract between two people. Somehow this solves their ickiness at gay marriage despite the fact that under this idea two men or two women could enter into such a contract?

Yeah I'm kinda lost too. He mentioned Ron Paul as a transformative sort of figure, but I don't recall Paul making marriages/civil unions one of his big causes.

• Locked thread