Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

SocketWrench posted:

as each generation becomes more liberal than the last.

Just as progress needs to be worked for, each generation becoming more liberal cannot be taken for granted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Do they have any evidence beyond "well, that's what they said and clearly no one has ever lied in politics"? Because I'm saying that no, religion has not been shown to play a meaningful role in the political beliefs of the "Religious" Right, something that should be utterly obvious from the existence of people who are of the exact same religion but do not share those political beliefs.

Because freedom of religion is written into the Constitution, and as a result of that, there are already certain exceptions in both discrimination law and discrimination caselaw for explicitly religious institutions under certain specific circumstances. The precedents suggest that something as broad as the laws being passed now still wouldn't pass the laugh test in a courtroom, but at least it's a legal argument (even if it's a weak, thinly veiled one) nominally based on fundamental US law, whereas "I want the ability to discriminate against LGBT people because I hate them" doesn't have any legal basis at all to point to. The religious freedom argument is an attempt to pretend it's not just all about hate, while simultaneously giving it a constitutional justification that the right can point to so when it inevitably comes crashing down they can blame evil activist liberal justices destroying our good old AMERICAN values, and feed their persecution complexes from multiple angles at once.

So why have special exemptions for religious institutions in the first place? Just because you have a very strong belief in something even in theory shouldn't mean you get to oppress other people over it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Sinnlos posted:

It's actually part of a bargain between the federal government and organized religion. Don't get involved in politics, and you don't need to pay taxes. Granted, the first part could use better enforcement.

Yeah, but we're not talking about churches not paying tax, we're talking about not only churches but also random other places claiming they get to discriminate because ~religion~

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

rudatron posted:

I don't think that's anti-LGBT so much as just anti-marriage, or rather, the institutionalization of a private relationship.

no you see, hetero marriage is more privilege and therefore less oppressed by banning all marriage :goonsay:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Ye gods, people, five pages and no actual theology discussion? I'd at least have expected a bit on dominionism and/or the prosperity gospel, given the religious leanings of the current runner-up (and possible Presidential candidate) in the Republican primary.

The Gospel of Supply Side Jesus. Supply of marriage certificates (no homo), that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

It's quite funny how some people have deloped enough of a persecution complex that anything less than total 100% agreement means someone is trying to oppress them.

• Locked thread