Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

HappyHippo posted:

Because it tells you nothing about where these beliefs come from, how they spread, or why they're so persistent.

But "Christianity" doesn't either, because there are Christians who don't share these beliefs, who abandon these beliefs, and who actively counter these beliefs, for every denomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

HappyHippo posted:

For like the tenth time: there are different varieties of Christian belief. This is just about some of them. That doesn't mean these aren't religious beliefs. I don't know what's so hard about this.

But there are no varieties of Christian belief, taxonomically, that universally or near-universally produce homophobic views. Not even megachurch evangelism does so.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fspades posted:

I used to thought that D&D was terrible when talking about Islam but now I'm realizing you people just have a problem with discussing religion in general. Here's a religious phenomenon right in your backyards and you're still astonishingly bad at understanding it. Religion is not something you slap on to your otherwise completely secular life. It's neither a simple cover for justifying your cynical aims, nor a brain parasite causing you to do things by itself. It's a totalizing worldview that informs everything you experience. It's impossible to separate someone's ethics from their religion, and trying to find which one is in charge is a futile exercise.

HappyHippo is entirely correct. These people are of course very religious, and they have religious motives. Their religion btw, is intimately connected with their identity of being white American conservatives. And this particular brand of Christianity cares a lot about sexual deviancy for certain historical and social reasons. The fact that you can't find anything in the scripture that would justify such an extreme and hateful stance doesn't matter because a) a very small portion of religious people have a sophisticated and broad understanding of scripture, and b) this is the religion they learned in their upbringing and daily practice anyway.

Actually, though, this particular brand of Christianity generates a number of liberal Christians, just like every Christian denomination has. In order to narrow the brand down to one that is almost-universally homophobic, you need to use qualifiers like "conservative" which exist outside of the religious sphere, rendering this totalitarian notion of religion to be a clear absurdity.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I would hazard a guess that if your religious beliefs contradict someone else's religious beliefs, you don't actually belong to the same religion as them.

Well then holy poo poo, there are about 20 different religions expressed in the little Presbyterian church I went to growing up.

HappyHippo posted:

Not every cloud brings rain, doesn't mean there isn't a connection between clouds and rain.

It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fspades posted:

I wasn't talking about a specific denomination, just people who would consider themselves to be the Religious Right, which is a big incestuous family, denomination-wise.

Whoa there pardner, I'm afraid my religion informs me that this post is backpedaling and I shouldn't read it, and as religion informs everything about my worldview, I guess I don't have a choice now.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's also difficult to untangle "gay sex is a sin" from "sex is a sin, and only acceptable to reproduce". Given the number of monks and nuns that described their relationship with Jesus in erotic and same-sex terms, it's highly questionable to describe modern Christian notions about sexuality as somehow directly transmitted purely from Tertullian on down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Solkanar512 posted:

*record scratch*

Wait, what? I've heard this before but I thought it was because the person was legit nuts. Do you have a good source for these accounts?

Emma Donoghue, Passions Between Women, obviously emphasizes lesbian understandings but she uses sources that mention men and gay male understandings to, along with trans understandings.

• Locked thread