Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Main Paineframe posted:

If you point to one group that believes in purgatory and another group that doesn't, and say that the group that believes in purgatory believes it because they're "Christian", that would be wrong - since some Christians don't believe in purgatory, obviously some other factor besides Christianity is far more directly responsible for the belief in purgatory. It would be correct, on the other hand, to say that the group that believes in purgatory believes in it because they're Catholic (I assume, anyway).

Would it be correct to say that they believe in it because of their religion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

I think it would be more correct to say that they believe in it because authority figures told them to throughout their childhood. I don't think purgatory is the sort of thing devout believers end up having big positive revelations about.

Yeah but is it correct enough to state plainly on its own? That's what I'm asking.

(The statement being "they believe in [purgatory or transubstantiation] because of their religion")

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

Actually plenty of people have understood it. I suspect those who don't are uncomfortable with (what they perceive as) the implications.

It can be breathtaking to see the contortions people will twist themselves into to avoid unwanted implications. Like failing to come to grips with religious doctrines like transubstantiation and purgatory being based on religion.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Then don't stretch it that far, so no problem.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

The question is why they hold those different beliefs and why they came to those different conclusions. The answer is because they interpreted that information through entirely different worldviews, which were created by different cultural surroundings, upbringings, and formative experiences. That, not religion, is the cause of their views and conclusions.

But worldview, cultural surroundings, upbringing, and formative experiences are cornerstones of religious practice and mindset. They're largely the same thing, not a contradiction.

Concluding from it being one, to it not being the other, is a non-sequitur.

Also if you continue to insist that the existence of differing beliefs shows that they can't come from the same religion, again you run into the counterexample of transubstantiation.

• Locked thread