Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
First Play Build
Turtle
No Shield Melee
Caster
Kaz, what should I do. Tell me like you used to
View Results

• Locked thread
Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

HORMELCHILI posted:

I hate these creepy fat nun ladie things

fat ministers are back. there's a couple of demon's souls feels in the second area so far. i like those cage enemies that pretend to be part of the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
does crystal sage have a pattern to where she teleports based on the crystals that form or is it just randomly all over the area?

also, holy poo poo form 2 is insane and i can't wait to finally beat that.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i cant summon phantoms but i'm getting summoned all the time :/

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
the enemies that make a return have improved attack patterns now. Stray Demon has moves that hit you if you're hiding between its legs and the ground pound move feels like it has less of a windup than in ds1 but it's still got enough time to warn you what it's about to do.

also there's a smoother transition when you're manually aiming the bow now.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the swamp kind of sucks but I've lit all the torches so I can get out of it now

meeting a random Black Knight was kind of weird and he kicked my rear end lol. what is going on in this game..... im so excited to see whats around every corner

I haven't played DS2 but this is a chill swamp compared to Blighttown and even Valley of Defilement, even with those rear end in a top hat goat dudes who goomba stomp you and get buffed off your blood.

seeing returning enemies is like catching up with old friends in this game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

In Training posted:

I'm using the one you can buy off the lady in Firelink, +2. I have a sharp gem but Andre can't use it so I guess I have to find another blacksmith

I think you need to find the right coal to give to Andre and he can forge it

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Dongicus posted:

Cathedral enemy spoiler

The continuous bleed effect from the maggot beast is offset by holding a torch

holy poo poo.

my favorite fight has been cathedral boss so far. the other ones are way better but it's the most demons soulsy of the early bosses to me

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I've only gotten way of blue and forest covenants. I didn't even know about the tree boss until you guys mentioned it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
pontiff fight rules so hard and I'm glad I couldn't summon phantoms for it. it's my new favorite fight.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Pablo Gigante posted:

I'm using it too lol. I got up to the Cathedral last night, I feel like a moron but I had to summon somebody for the Crystal Sage fight because I was having a lot of trouble with the clones in the second stage.

I want to try out some PvP, where's a good spot to invade?

the area after cathedral is perfect for invading, especially at the midpoint. there's a ton of tough enemies to help you if the host has a group and there's a couple of good ways to troll the host there.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i spent way too much time than i should have finding the path forward in profaned capital after the bonfire.

does anyone know if/where patches is hanging out in firelink after you meet him the first time?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

rediscover posted:

holy gently caress. the area after irithyll. whaaaaaat

said that out loud when the area name appeared

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I cooped Abyss Watchers bc when I phantomed for other players I saw two figures fighting in the background during the second form. I guess I confused the fight and thought it'd be like a four kings damage race at the time.

second playthrough is probably gonna be a dex build with the twin scimitars. I'm too reliant on my shields when I PVP and I need to switch up my style.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

In Training posted:

I really want to be in the purples. Next character...

same. i think i locked myself out of that covenant early on and missed a ton of npc events.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
finally hit a brick wall with champion gundyr. i'm good with most of his attacks but that second form speeds him up and i always get him to about a few hits before he owns me. might be the frame rate hitches throwing off my timing.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Mid-late game spoilers: How in the gently caress do I deal with Aldrich's arrow spell for real

run til it runs out. i thought it was a set path but it tracks you.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Boomstick Quaid posted:

He's the closest thing to a villain actively plotting your demise in the whole series whereas most other enemies are just persisting mythical figures from bygone eras or representative of ancient eroding forces

I think seath felt like the closest thing in ds1 to being an almost antagonist just for the gimmick in the archives.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
what does the crow take? everything i've dropped in its nest ain't pump a rum.

spent most of grand archives getting harassed by one dude. took forever to get him to fight me straight instead of baiting out other enemies. every time he rushed out of my range and expected me to follow him i just patches squatted until he came back.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I just found out yesterday I could fast roll with tsorig's greatshield and I've never been happier in the game to watch these lothric knights' strikes bouncing off my blocks.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
is there any reason to use the candlewax pools in the archives?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
oh cool. thanks

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

In Training posted:

Im using his weapon now and its loving amazing. Wish i hadnt burnt all my scales on the abyss watcher blade

later areas have scales as set loot, and i'm pretty sure there'll be an enemy that consistently drops it and respawns later.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
people are still skating around the floor when I phantom sometimes and once a giant rat charged at me in a narrow tunnel and pushed me out of the world so I fell into the void.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i just beat princes. it feels like a dead end after this. i'm not sure where to go next.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

AHungryRobot posted:

Do you have all the cinders for all of the thrones at the shrine?

yeah but i can't seem to place the prince's ashes on the last throne. i'm assuming there's another way?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
:staredog: havel the motherfucking rock outta nowhere.

(optional area spoiler)

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

HolePisser1982 posted:

We're all doing Guts builds eventually, right?

had to do this to beat king of storms. my broadsword didn't have enough reach.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I really didn't like king of storms. It's such a large enemy that it fucks with the camera when you're up close, and with only one effective hitbox that's constantly moving it's a pain to try to get hits on it with a straight sword.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

There is a fine line between getting trashed by a boss and feeling good about it and getting really mad. I still don't know what falls on what side.

I think part is an aspect of control. Can you stagger in a certain amount of hits? Do you feel pressured or cheated?

Others might be like, endurance related. If a boss feels really really long.

I mean, if you're getting frustrated with the game, just summon a guy or two. that's the point of summoning.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I put a message in front of Andre's forge in the dead shrine and it appeared in the "actual" shrine. that's a cool meta way to hint at things in the game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
it's also pretty funny where you find the fire keeper eyes.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Benny D posted:

Cool as it would be to assume implications it's far more likely that it just loads the same area to save memory or whatever coders do

I thought this as well but the area leading up to it comes right after oceiros's arena, so their locations shouldn't add up.

also considering how the finale plays out, there might be three different instances of firelink shrine.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
what if all the primordial serpents are just different heads on a hydra?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
he's a cool reference, but if you're soloing him it's a pain to cycle through your inventory and then figure out what you're supposed to do.

deacons was a better implemented gimmick fight.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Dungeon wardens are probably the scariest mobs in the game. The only ones who hurt you by taking health off the bottom of your bar instead of the top

get some distance from them and have your torch out. it speeds up the recovery.

I like that the whole area is a latria reference but I'm glad that it's so much smaller than it feels like when you're first going through it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I remember getting the fire poker in the bonfire at the dead shrine but I can't find it in my inventory now.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Bobnumerotres posted:

artorias armor is cool but idg why everyone flocks to it. theres lots of cool heavy armor

i'm disappointed that you get that off the handmaiden in the dead shrine and not as a set drop in an area, like near the wolf of farron.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jackie D posted:

i thought soul of cinder was pretty easy then he 10-hit combo'd me into oblivion after going back to full hp :mad:
i like that one attack where he'll delay one of his strikes to gently caress with your timing, but the combo attacks aren't as cool as in gundyr's.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
ng+ with the ultra greatsword is so cathartic. i love swatting dogs and watching them fly off the ground and staggering lothric knights when they were destroying me in the early game. looking forward to the deacons fight with this.

i never played DS2. would it be better to go with the base game or softs for the first time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
ng+ giant crabs are tanks. a maxed out ultra great sword can barely chip them.

it's funny to use the lie down gesture near a pile of dead bodies and activate a giant tree seed on invaders.

• Locked thread