Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bij
Feb 24, 2007

People are heated over whatever flavor of Abrahamic supreme being has everything locked down and there needs to be a place to argue over which Middle Eastern dude delivered the True Word™. These are things that apparently matter more than either Warhammer 40,000 or X-wing, which is saying a lot so here's a place to do it.

Indorotomy 69:420 posted:

And so Jesus saw gathered at the side of the road the learned men and He heard their lamentations. “Is it not The Lord’s day, why do you weep?” The wisest among them came forth and spake, “Among us there is naught but stems and seeds” and Jesus questioned them, “Keepeth thou not a box to gather thy shake?” The wisest of them asked of Jesus “Teacher, does the learned man not crown his bowl with kief?” Jesus saw this wisdom and spoke unto them “Let none among you who Know Me be dry, drilleth thy sack and know the Lord is good” and among them there was an abundance of lemon diesel shatter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Sikhism is pretty good stuff, it'd be cool if more people decided to wear nice hats and believe in human equality, that's my input to religion chat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yardbomb posted:

Sikhism is pretty good stuff, it'd be cool if more people decided to wear nice hats and believe in human equality, that's my input to religion chat.

We have a couple Sikh guys at our development office. Really friendly guys and overall wonderful people.

Their turbans are awesome.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
Religion is terrible and religious people are terrible

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I do hope my av didn't inspire that lame derail.

Anyway yeah apparently comparing God to similar killers is offensive and rude. I liked it better when there was that one guy firing off justifications for all the killings, where you respond to a culture with child sacrifice by killing the rest of the children, too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Branis posted:

Religion is terrible and religious people are terrible

Never go full Dawkins.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Sikh's seem petty cool in general, it's a bummer that they only ever garner attention in the US from silly zero tolerance policies in schools getting mad about kirpans and douchebag bigots mistaking them for Muslims because of their headgear.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Potential BFF posted:

Sikh's seem petty cool in general, it's a bummer that they only ever garner attention in the US from silly zero tolerance policies in schools getting mad about kirpans and douchebag bigots mistaking them for Muslims because of their headgear.

One pretty nice thing I kinda stumbled on was that gurdwaras (Sikh temple/what have you's) are more plentiful than I thought they'd be initially, you want em, they're sure there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Why was this thread closed like for a minute there? Anyway, I feel that ultimately these discussions are pointless, not only because nobody well get swayed in their faith or not-faith by the online rantings of other people, but also because they produce hardly any interesting insights as most people here (at least the non-religious ones) seem to see the relationship of religion and the state/science/whatever in a strictly American context where the “Religious Right“ is active and present in a way unknown to most non-Americans*, which isn't very helpful when you want to discuss religion as a whole.

* other highly conservative to reactionary religious factions like the Catholic Episcopal Conference in Poland, the Patriarch of Moscow in the Russian-Orthodox Church (who condemned certain unnamed human rights as heresy just yesterday, btw) or the Wahabbites in Saudi-Arabia work within completely different cultural contexts that make a direct comparison pretty useless imo, though it can't be denied that American cultural influence can be felt even in that regard

Sikhs are totally rad tho, and I'm kinda disappointed in my religion that it doesn't offer that kind of awesome headgear to it's faithful

• Locked thread