Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Is the game better on Pc or console? As far as responsiveness and fluidity.

PC's doing better so far, if only because of the higher frame ceiling. Controller is recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Okay, where's the Orange Soapstone? I was expecting to find it by now and I'm starting to feel foolish.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
How I'm able to swing a sword without beheading myself I will never know.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm lucky in that I haven't encountered any serious crashes or other issues, but I wouldn't be surprised if any overheating is due to the ridiculous abundance of smoke in the early areas. I built my computer with the intent of making it as cool as possible (without liquid cooling) and too much smoke still makes it wheeze.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Lol @ pc mustard race suffering a ton of issues. Good choice of platform. :thumbsup:

You can practically set your clock by the post-release crashfest of every major PC game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I plugged in a wired 360 pad and then I was off to the races.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

Setting light effects to low and switching from pyromancer to knight seems to have eliminated all my crashing. What a weird game.

I'm a knight too and I've been crash-free. If stability issues are seriously tied to what class you pick I'm gonna laaaaugh

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lovely Senorita posted:

everything aside, I have to ask the most important question of any Souls game, more than anything about PC builds or weapon choices or whatever

what's the message system like

I am tormented by promises of illusory walls at every dead end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macintosh HD posted:

I've seen people mention a store being available early in the game but I can't find it.

Where's this store?

It's in Firelink, old lady chilling in the same corridor that leads to Andre.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The first boss is basically Sif in that it has an insta-murder radius at midrange but can't do much to you at kissing distance - its few shortrange attacks aren't very strong and are mostly there to smash you flat so it can open up some distance again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nuebot posted:

What enemies? That being said it is pretty fan servicey considering how many returning weapons there are, some odd choices made it in as boss soul weapons.

It was when I ran into Hellkite Drake, Mark 2 at the High Wall of Lothric when I went "okay, guys, this is getting a little much."

Then again, the swerve they threw at you kind of made up for it. You were expecting a nice prize for squeaking past the fire? TOO BAD. MIMIC TIME.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

Oh okay so I guess I made the mistake of bothering to dodge anything he does at all once he transforms. Shoving my face in his junk mashing R1 is clearly the correct way to beat a Dark Souls boss :downs:

This is actually true for any Dark Souls boss more than eight feet tall.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Does anyone have a link to a good summary of the plot of the first two DS games? I honestly never really understood it more than "here is a big monster, slay the poo poo out of it", but I feel like I should

The world is caught between two opposing forces, Fire and Dark. Originally there was nothing but Dark in the world and all creatures were immortal - including the Ancient Dragons - but then the First Fire came into life, introducing change and mortality. Several mighty personages took hold of sparks of the First Flame, deposed the Ancient Dragons, and created a mighty and utopian empire with the power they held, but like all fires, the First Flame eventually started to gutter and die. This allowed Dark to creep back into the world, and introduced the undying and ever-more insane Undead.

The gods who first gripped the flame tried, with increasing desperation, to relight it, but most of their attempts only made things worse: the Witch of Izalith attempted to make a new flame, but only destroyed her body and introduced demons into the world; Nito, First of the Dead, merely shut himself back away in his coffin, but found his power leeched away by the insatiable Pinwheel; and Gwyn, Lord of Sunlight, tried to grant fragments of his own powerful soul to human leaders, but they were tempted by the Dark and became the twisted Four Kings. Eventually Gwyn found himself driven to desperation, and returned to the Kiln of the First Flame to "link the fire," using his own soul as kindling for the hearth. He would burn eternally in the Kiln to keep the Fire going, while his old friend Frampt tried to tempt some hapless Undead into empowering their own soul and doing the same. But even if they did, the time would come 'round again when the First Flame sputtered out, so the world is trapped in a perpetual cycle of sacrificial Fire and growing Dark.

Then Dark Souls 2 happened. It was largely nonsense.

Dark Souls 3 seems to take place in a world so exhausted by the endless cycles that not even linking the fire is enough anymore; many of the Undead have become "ashen," their feeble souls unfit to even be kindling for the Flame. The latest solution has something to do with gathering up the various Lords of Cinder who sacrificed themselves to the Kiln in ages past to give the world enough strength to live on. I don't think it's going to end well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also if anyone's thinking about upgrading their drivers to improve performance - maybe don't do that. Reports are coming in that Nvidia's latest DS3-ready driver is bricking some people's cards.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

why the gently caress isn't it subtitled "Prepare Your Die"? Someone dropped the ball faster than I drop when I meet a blue knight

I remember trying to backstab the first one I found. It just made him mad.

Still won, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

In the past what were the more popular platforms for Dark Souls? I'm looking to pick the game up for either PC or PS4, but I want the platform that would most likely have more players to choose from when doing invasions/coop and stuff. I don't even know if it's possible to get concurrent player numbers for PS4 like you can with steam.

It's Souls, every platform will be chockablock with phantoms. Xbone will probably be the sparsest because Xbone, but it still shouldn't be too bad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Einwand posted:

Still no idea what I'm doing but I beat the ice boss on my second try. Went in the first time with an empty estus flask into the very obvious boss zone, it ended poorly. Those weird eldritch mutation enemies were harder because they just didn't seem to have any sort of opening to hit them whatsoever.
I'm assuming I should probably not reinforce the basic longsword the knight starts with super heavily?

There's a broadsword with better stats somewhere in the High Wall.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Best way to deal with the hulk hollows is to run up like a maniac and kill them before they pop. They go down in one hit if you make it fast enough.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah I figured that out in short order. Very satisfying when it works, but the timing can be pretty tight.

Unfortunately all the time I've spent with Bloodborne has instilled kamikaze instincts in me so I don't think I'm going to be able to help myself for a while.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

I have absolutely no idea where to go in dark souls 3

where is the "beginner" supposed to go from the High Wall's second bonfire? I'm clueless.

There is no "beginner" path this time, you're on a death march for quite a while. Head down from the room with the thief Hollow and the Lothric Knight and keep looking for a way forward.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

What's this poo poo I heard about the early game being really easy? The first post-tutorial area is at least as hard as all of the other starting areas. I'm getting my arse kicked.

I agree, the High Wall of Lothric brings out the knives in a hurry. None of its tricks are particularly new, but they're constantly being remixed at you and none of the areas really give you a chance to breathe.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

This is truly the dark souls of server connections

Oh good, so it's not just me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is the Dark Sword worth grinding out? I'm hankering for a new weapon.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Siegward question at Cathedral of the Deep - I bought his armor from Patches, but I'm unable to return it to him at the well. The only option available is "Do Nothing." Am I missing something?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

did you make sure to buy all 4 pieces, you need the helmet, torso arms, and legs

I've got all 4 pieces, yeah.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I think I'm going to reroll a faster character since I'm only a few bosses in. What do you guys recommend for stat distribution? I think I still want to do a weapon+shield, but I really find it hard to play a heavy armor knight because rolling is so slow.

Do people normally take a one-hander+shield and then also a big 2hander and switch between them? Or is it common to do a 2hander+shield?

If you want to fast-roll for most of the early game you're gonna have to get used to carrying only one weapon, plus a smaller shield. Even a simple longbow is going to weigh you down pretty badly if you equip it alongside your stabbin' stick.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Funktastic posted:

dark souls 3 is amazing and probably the best souls game so far but god drat are those giant beast headed guys with the tree staffs in farron keep loving bullshit to deal with

I killed one and saw that it dropped 4 times the souls of any other enemy in the place except the Darkwraith. I don't think they're meant to be fought. Their aggro range is fairly small but their patrol routes are regular and they gently caress you up if you're seen, so I figured they were meant to further limit your mobility in the swamp.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So the boss of the Catacombs was nothing but pain and I managed to literally die in the middle of my victory because I got lag-killed by its murderbreath (still squeaked out the win, though).

And now I'm in the next area and it's even more pain than the pain I was in before.

The difficulty curve so far has been this slow relentless uphill slope, at least in DS1 and Bloodborne my gear and experience would eventually level things out but it's like every minute detail in every area of every zone is uniquely designed to hurt me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ethiser posted:

poo poo. Is Ludleth the Furtive Pygmy?

Probably not. He's called Ludleth the Exiled and he's a skilled practitioner of soul transposition, which was severely frowned upon in his homeland. Odds are he was exiled for his craft and linked the fire afterwards. Now he gets to hang around on his throne and soul transpose all he wants while all his countrymen just lay in the ground. No wonder he's in such a jolly mood.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I feel like the mimic novelty kind of wears off when every loving chest is a mimic.

It kind of makes me hate finding chests.

There are an even dozen Mimics in the game, it's really not that bad.

Especially because I sicced one of them on a bigger, nastier enemy and got to watch it punch the thing to death.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Len posted:

If I really enjoyed Demons Souls, DS1, and Bloodborne but couldn't get into DS2 for some reason would I enjoy DS3? I can't quite place why I didn't enjoy DS2 but something kept me from really getting into it like I did the rest of the games.

Yes, DS2 has always been the odd one out. DS3 is more like a return to the first game with a few innovations from Bloodborne kept in.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

wat? So I can reinforce a weapon a bunch and then infuse it to avoid spending titanite scales or whatever on reinforcing the infused weapon?

Titanite Scales and Twinkling Titanite are only used on transposed and unique weapons, they don't apply to anything on the standard 1-10 upgrade path.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spite posted:

I'm not sure how that would fit. She's already long gone in the Dark Souls 1 timeframe.

I'm not sure I like the plot as much this time around. It seems like you are just wandering around a jumble of ideas instead of a more coherent place. That seems to be part of the design - everything has sort of melded together. But Dark Souls 1 especially had a much stronger sense of place and interconnectedness. This seems like it's more a string of callbacks connected by random dungeons.

Also they need to give the graveyard/tombstone aesthetic a rest at this point.

It's more coherent than Dark Souls 2 but still disjointed, yeah. It doesn't help that so much time has passed that the landscape itself has made the connections between areas less obvious - Farron Keep used to be an entire grandiose castle, for one, but gradually fell into neglect, and the swamp reclaimed much of it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

You need to dress him in the Onion Knight garb immediately.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You can trade something really common to the crows for it.

Crow trade is a one-time deal, unless they changed something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Any contradictions I see between DS2 and DS3 I quickly dismiss on the basis of "DS2 was kind of dumb."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KonvexKonkav posted:

2. This is related to Orbeck of Vinheim. Yuria of Londor says I should kill him but I'm kind of curious what happens if I don't. Is this anything like Lautrec in the first game where I'm massively screwing myself over when I leave him alive?

Orbec's a nice dude, Yuria wants him dead because she's not a very nice lady. She'll give you a prize if you bring her his remains, but you won't be locking yourself out of anything by keeping him alive.

If you want to know, this game's version of Yurt/Lautrec is Leonhard, the completely trustworthy gentleman who initially gives you Cracked Red Eye Orbs, and even then he's not much of a nuisance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think Bloodborne is the exact perfect setting for Miyazaki's style of storytelling and game design. It's the closest he's come to making a Castlevania game, with one large ubiquitous setting that all of the action takes place in. Yharnam is an outstanding setting and it's kind of amazing that he manages to make its culture and history so vibrant while never actually telling you much concrete information about it. Bloodborne is basically questions upon more questions, yet through its environment and design it tells you an emotional story, like a subliminal tug at your heartstrings.

I really liked that (if you get the DLC) the most relentlessly grim, hateful, and apocalyptic game in FROM's repertoire ends on its most bittersweet note.

A bottomless curse. A bottomless sea.
Accepting of all that there is, and can be.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Broseph Brostar posted:

Decided to call a bluecop to help me deal with an invader in irithyll dungeon because it was 3 in the morning and I wanted to go to bed. I ended up regretting it when he lead us on an hour long chase through the entire zone. I'd get him low when he would actually engage us in a fight but he would always run away and flask up. Eventually he stopped fighting altogether and was always at the end of a hallway watching us clear a those brand fuckers. He didn't even get involved in the big fight with 6-7 of them at the end of the zone.

When we got to the profaned capital I was weary and annoyed and decided just to make a mad dash for whatever fog gate I could find so I could end it and I ended up getting killed by one of those big freaky easy to kill water bugs. I'm not even mad that he made me waste my time, I'm just pissed he forced me to go through a zone with co-op instead of enjoying it alone. I'm sure he was calling me a pussy on the other end the whole time :jerkbag:

The big lesson for invaders and invadees alike is don't run away. You'll just die tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

codo27 posted:

What are the effects of being frostbitten? Is there some kind of bug associated with it? Got stuck upstairs where the black knight archer is at Irithyll after rolling through some vases and couldn't escape, had to teleport back to bonfire. Little later was frostbitten again in a different area, didn't get stuck but there was some magical section of a flight of stairs I couldn't walk through.

Frostbite apparently prevents stamina regen for a short time.