Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

My biggest gripe is the weapon balancing in DS2, if you aren't using Strike weapons a huge portion of the game is arbitrarily more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

sometimes it feels weird swapping out of a quickstep weapon cause it feels so much like it should just be a standard thing given the gameplay tempo

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

doesn't the curse healing item also reset the hollowing stat

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ds2 has some fairly expansive areas that are fun and rewarding to explore, I think that's its biggest strength. lots of places you don't really need to be but might find a cool weapon or something in.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DS2 is definitely the game where I've said "where the gently caress did YOU come from" the most often. ambushes are one thing but it's often just a case of another pack five miles away getting vision of you and silently hunting you down.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

Both Rat & Bell covs didn't require cracked red eye orbs, they were automatic. I agree that the one main thing DS2 did wrong was not provide full reusable orbs for regular invasions. Also the one legitimate problem I ran into in the Rat cov was that I did it so much that my world eventually ended up hitting the despawn limit on my monsters lol

I think DS1 had the best approach to red invasion gatekeeping, you get 10 free trials and if you want to do more red invading you have to beat the dps check boss with your character without placing the lordvessel with frampt.

It was cool getting the orb so easily in 3 but it didn’t have that same feeling of proving yourself to get a forbidden power, you just beat up a darkwraith and that’s it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

VideoGames posted:

It is quite ok :)

I had the same trouble in Bloodborne. Parrying was so bad it became a joke on stream and Lady VG would always make fun of me trying and failing. This continued into DS1 and then somewhere around Heide in DS2 I started to be able to parry. Did it quite a few times. Did not do it at all in DS3 and then I started Sekiro and the stream was excited and man, everything clicked in the most beautiful of ways.

My experience with Sekiro and the Fromsoftware games is so very different to everyone else here, in that I started Bloodborne in Oct 2020 and by Jun 2021 I had played it, DS1, DS2, DS3, Sekiro and DeS back to back and all dlc and every boss all the way through on stream. It was an incredible rush and I learned why everyone loves these games and while my order of what I think is best is not the same as almost everyone here, any one of them is better than 90% of all other games.

Just the best gaming year I have ever experienced :)

parrying in DS1 and 2 started to click for me when I tracked the enemy's wrist and attempted to intercept it rather than focusing on the weapon. i think 3 switched up the timings a lot because I can pull it off sometimes but not consistently.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

iirc backstabs work too it's just a matter of getting access to her back in the first place

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Sulyvahn is one of the weird bosses where the second phase is easier for me than the first. The cloning animation is pretty long and lets you get a lot of free hits on both of them.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i forget which of the two it was but one of them has a jester starting class that has a spell where you literally spew poo poo everywhere

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there are weapons that are weak in terms of damage in most weapon types but they tend to have qualities that make them attractive for really specific niche cases, i.e. if you only have your starting class' base str/dex then depending on the class you can still use a shortsword, thrall axe, etc.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

dark is stored in the rear end

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GU6021NJnA

please don't rely on black serpent, it's not very good

this is about using black serpent as a damage tool when it can instead be used as a pressure tool to restrict movement and land unlocked spells

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

less hacking more slashing

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i liked using a dark infused follower sabre on my pyro

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

shields are fine but deflection is a lot less reliable and you have to be much more careful about stamina. holding up your shield too much and not letting it regen up can get you killed.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

War Wizard posted:

I love the visual effect of the dark hand Shield,
I hate the statistics of the dark hand Shield.

Really wish that poo poo was viable.

if it had just a liiitle bit more absorption and stability, or even if it just had a special property of fully absorbing physical projectiles, it would be a really good option for a weightless shield, but as is you might as well use the two handed guard on your weapon.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

spears are good two handed, they're like faster pokier halberds. each hit being low damage is made up for how often you can get a safe hit in the first place. i don't think i've ever been as scared in pvp as when ive been relentlessly chased by someone two handing a spear steadily chipping me to nothing.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

on the note of long-range weaponry I've been liking having the arbalest on my 2-hand strength character, enemies are a lot easier when you've chipped them enough one swing of a big stick or machete can finish them. i think the major improvements over time to the weapon type in the series have gone pretty under the radar.

probably preaching to the choir in this thread in particular but i was surprised how many people i've talked to don't know you can two-hand crossbows from either hand and enter the same snipe mode bows have.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 5, 2022

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

valorheart is good but you really have to have enough stamina and be facing something not too stamina-damaging to make the most of its unique feature of having a lot of block frames on attacks. can work real well in pvp against straight swords for example.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

boulder heave isn't the best spell but it's hands-down one of the funnest and funniest

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

midir and gael is where i learned that you can sometimes accomplish a lot more by running instead of rolling (it's conditional, some attacks especially some of the big leaps track your movement pretty well)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Moola posted:

I laughed when you somehow died to fall damage in ringed city lol

missing the window you're supposed to crash through in the dregs is an endless font of slapstick comedy

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ds3 blocking is still pretty useful, if you're coming off a committed action like an attack i find it's much more reliable to block the enemy's first incoming attack than roll it, i don't know the numbers but it certainly feels like shield block frames come up faster than roll iframes. you want to roll followups they have of course so they don't decimate your stamina and kill you.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Analytic Engine posted:

I think I did that last time (pre-ER lol), while never unlocking the door in the bonfire room jail entrance

if its what im thinking of thats the shortcut to rat hell where that giant is

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I think what I miss most about DS3 are pyro and chaos giving int/faith characters good options. in ER the only dual stat infusion is quality. golden order incantations are great but take a real long time to really come online, some necromancy spells have situational use but don't at all justify the massive stat investment.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Barudak posted:

Ah, the item I never get because nothing is dark and and there is nothing to light on fire. Good to know.

I will never really "get" untended graves. Like its cool, visually, but it just doesn't land for me because its too hard to parse out what it is and just kind of suffers from DS3's undercooked new lore you don't get enough of.

i like it precisely because there is no explicit explanation, it's a strange and alien but extremely familiar slice of time and space you trespass on that houses the key item for the most heretical of the endings

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

expecting the lore to give you any straight answers in any of the games of and descended from king's field is like getting really angry at your dreams because your high school teacher from 20 years ago teaches flying instead of math

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the wolves in ariandel are individually weak but they can swarm you really aggressively if one of them gets to howl

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i always summon gael for friede it feels fairly intended. he typically died sometime during phase 3 so id be on my own but with a decent amount of flasks left

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i always assumed the locusts were a joke/good-natured ribbing about lore guys

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

midir isn't hard to me but it's an endurance fight so there's a really long time to get impatient and gently caress up

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if u think about it an egg is just an inverted coffin, metaphysically

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ime it's pretty boss-dependent, when i played it was a little late and co-op was a bit sparse but pontiff sulyvahn got me hits like 10x as often and quickly as other bosses.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

players are so used to rolls and turtling in pvp that they shut down when someone forces trades at advantage instead

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

Gone through most of the game as a FTH build for the first time, and compared to pyro or INT, they're not making it easy.

The good stuff for causing damage is really pushed towards the back end of the game. Great lightning spear at Lothric Castle (with Sunbro grinding), Sunlight spear first after beating the main game.

Dorhys' Gnawing is excellent for many bosses, but miracles aren't as versatile for offense as pyro or sorcercies. Back to sword and board it is, but a lightning infused lothric sword with excellent FTH scaling.

In conclusion, an FTH build is a land of contrasts.

keep in mind you have a couple pyromancy options with low int requirements. you won't ever have as many or as strong pyromancies as a dedicated pyro but there's a couple options to beef up your portfolio, if you drop a few poihts in int to get to 10 that's great combustion.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

on my str character i really liked the milwood battle axe from ariandel, its special version of warcry is one of my favorite arts in the game, just a really effective way to open a fight with a stun and a buff

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I had a lot of trouble with Knight enemies in DS3. They were surprisingly mobile enemies and could take a beating and their offense hurt. It might have been the low poise damage I did as you said. I spent a lot of the game dual wielding Scimitars iirc.

I went back and beat DS1-3 after my last Elden Ring run. I had beaten 2 before but never 1 and 3. It was a lot of fun going through the whole series like that.

For me I think it was just that Elden Ring bosses are the hardest in the series so far (at least of the ones I've played..Ds1-3 + ER. I've never played Demon Souls). So facing those first and then going back and beating DS3 was a downgrade in boss difficulty since I'd beaten the toughest that Elden Ring had to offer.

high wall lothric knights are disproportionately tougher to deal with to me than just about anything in undead settlement. really aggressive without slouching on defending themselves either.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ime "git gud" is mostly used as a dismissive joke when people who are struggling make the conscious decision to be annoying to people trying to give them helpful advice and insist everything is the game's fault for being unfair instead of learning and adjusting to the game's expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

all the zones in ds3 at least feel complete. you have some drat well designed levels in ds1 but the only post-vessel area i liked a lot until the DLC was duke's archives ( I always do painted world before O&S but I love that one too)