Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4e6ewa/matchmaking_data_thoroughly_tested/

For those interested in matchmaking

It seems that

+/- 10 soul level (later levels appears to increase the gap)

+/- 2 weapon enchantment (twinkling weapons counts for +2 for each upgrade)

Can someone help me parse this.

Is this where you can match with people +/- 10 soul levels, and weapon enhancement effectively adds to your soul level (bumping you up a bracket)
or
Is this where you can match with people +/- 10 soul levels, and are further filtered to only match with people who are +/- 2 levels on their weapon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Schedule for today:

Put the kid to sleep, wait till girlfriend goes to sleep then Dark Souls all night long. I'm the worst :v:

Put the girlfriend to sleep at the same time as the kid. You've waited long enough.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

match with people +/- 10 slvls and then filtered by weapon upgrade +/-2

lvl 50 with +5 weapon

40-60 slvl
+3 / +7 weapon upgrade

Neat, thanks. Not sure how I feel about it, but seems legit.

How does the password system work? Anyone with the password can see and summon/invade regardless of SL/weapon enhancement?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

White Phosphorus posted:

Any word on the port forwarding in DSIII?

Should use Steamworks, and a similar server structure to DS2, so if you didn't have to fiddle with anything there I don't imagine you should have need to fiddle with anything here.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Kaldaris posted:

I wanted to make a note of this and say; From my personal experience with DS2/SotFS, I actually encountered hackers like maybe ... 5% of all my engagements. And besides that, most of the hackers I met were loving hilarious. They actually added to my experiences playing the game. Not to mention to others, like hacked fight club hosts with dagger-backstabs that heal people instead. :3:

Echoing this. Hackers happen, but not only has it been rare, maybe 30-50% of them have been novelties that were more than entertaining enough to be worth the death, and of those, some of the novelty hacker invaders didn't even try to kill me making the encounters all the less painful.

Honestly, the 'worst' hackers have been people I invaded who turned on infinite health and made me waste a ton of time trying to kick them off a cliff. :mad:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

Genocyber is correct. There's not really much reason to level both, with the Hollow infusion around and resins to add Bleed on top of already Bleed-stacking weapons.

You can't use resins on infused weapons tho, right?

Or did you mean having two weapons, one with Hollow for 'raw' damage, and another for resins to deal status.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

Hollow weapons can be buffed, just like Sharp, Heavy, Refined, and Raw. No other infusion can be buffed.

Neat! Raw weapons 4 life

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

axeil posted:

Yes. Just change the right stick to use trackball-like controls and map run to the button on the back.

source: played through about half of DS2 with it over the weekend.

Echoing. It can still take a little while to get a feel for the layout, but it isn't a very big change, since Dark Souls leans on shoulder buttons more than face buttons a lot more than other 3D hack-and-slash games.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

TheQat posted:

is Durante still mad at the souls scene or whatever

He did a performance write up for PCGamer a couple of days ago. I wouldn't say he's mad, but SOTFS gave him some issues when it detects basically anything like DLL injection and supposedly got a bunch of people soft banned for using GeToSeTo or whatever his generic tool is.

Who knows what FROM's stance will be with DS3. I would personally assume the same, so I'm not going to be bothering with pretty much anything. Fortunately, there isn't really any 'need' for it like there was with DS1, and unlike DS2, it doesn't look like garbage out of the box, so even if you have the overhead to make the game look any better, it's not nearly as big of a deal.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Please play online and join the Way of the Blue. I desperately want to protect people like you from the dickwraith hordes. :911:

Yes, do this. Please don't play offline because you're afraid some jerk wad will screw with your experience. You're only screwing with your own experience by flipping the switch!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Most of my crashes happen near bonfires. Turning the lighting effects down to low helped for about an hour or so, and now it's back to crashing again.

double check your settings. I found a few of mine kept reseting.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Anyone know why hitting with both two blades does less damage than using R1? because that is bullshit.

I have no idea, but it was a really bizarre choice. Only thing worth mentioning is it may be nice, depending on a few things. Spell buffs. If they're more flat damage bonuses, then dual wield weapons are probably going to be really nice. The "2H" attacks don't cost any more stamina than the 1h, so where the weapon damage may end up being lower, IF spell buffs are unaffected, they'll be super rad. IF not-

The maybe they will be OK with Bleed/Poison weapons, but even then I suspect the build up will also be affected, and they're really drat stingie with the titanite, so I don't feel like testing poo poo out.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

codo27 posted:

I like now Nameless King is so hard they leave your souls outside after you die. Or maybe its a glitch cause the game cant register where you died cause of the clouds
Has always worked like this. If you die quickly enough they plop the souls outside the fogwall.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

rear end-Haggis posted:

Don't believe I have though, which is weird. Should I like, reinstall or something? I'ma reinstall and see if that fixes this.

TBQH I'm kinda spooked! I don't wanna lose my ability to cooperate in a jolly fashion!

Corrupted save is the alternative.

If you had any crashes, or alt+F4s that could be the culprit.

Sometimes, it just happens, because the saves are encrypted, and poo poo happens.

Only advice is to either be ready to give up your saves (it's rare, but given the amount of people, and amount of time people put into these games...), or regularly back up your save data. NOTE: If this is ANYTHING like previous games, there is basically one save for all characters, so if anything gets hosed on one character you could literally be out every single build you have. Strongly recommended that you make frequent back ups.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I can already tell everyone on earth is going to be using nothing but katanas for PvP within a week or so. The movesets are outrageously good, and some of the late game katanas are kinda silly.

So, what's new? :confused:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tamayachi posted:

Fell into a pit with three goat cat demons, backed into a corner and was at about 10% health. I prepared for one last hail mary attack when 3 of my butt joke messages got rated putting me back at full health. It was like getting a second wind, I went on to murder everything around me

This got me wondering... what happens when something is rated negatively?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Filthy Hans posted:

Flynn's works well if you understand the new mechanic that was changed in the last patch. It has nothing to do with equip percentage now. You start at 30% bonus damage, and lose 1% per unit of encumbrance. If you keep your weight to 10 units, like a katana with some good rings and otherwise naked, you'll have a 20% bonus which is pretty drat good. If you weigh 28 units you get a 2% bonus which is absolutely worthless. Heavier weapons simply can't utilize Flynn's because of their weight.

This is retarded. Not too bad for PvE, but compare that with PvP. Your opponent with some mediumish armor is going to have 20% mitigation. -20% is going to more than mitigate the difference, while the effective increase to your opponents DPS by virtue of you not wearing armor is going to be much greater; especially if they are using a fast-but-low damage weapon.

I mean, yeah, I guess that means spending nothing on VIT, which can count for something, but even as a glass cannon build you would probably be WAY better off simply equipping some of the lightest armor and swapping the ring for... well, probably literally anything else.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Thread moves fast. Has the patch hit?

Any word on what FROM's "performance adjustments" are specifically?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nah he's right, that guy is a huge baby. They should have attacked him long ago given that they had overwhelming odds.

In this case, I don't really agree. The way dodge mechanics work an invader can basically just dodge spam into a line of NPCs, and let the level do all the work, only moving in to attack (and thereby actually open themselves to retaliation) when a phantom/host is weak. Forcing the invader to go offensive, even with overwhelming odds, is basically the only way to make the numbers really work for you.

It's mad dumb. I've had invaders literally chew through an unending wave of blue and summoned phantoms because dodging is nearly impossible to punish, and invaders have the benefit of letting the level take care of the offense.

And I'm not complaining as a carebear. It's just as obnoxious when invading, for example as a Watchdog where you are likely to have backup. The encounters typically devolve into the most tedious yakkity sax style dashing after the host while they sprint to bonfires, and dodge spam around while waiting for summons to pop - at which point the summons get rocked because they're the ones going offensive (which CAN be punished) while the host continues to spam rolls.

I hope I'm missing something - for example, I should probably just grab a katana when invading or something, just because of the running R1 stab, but as far as I can tell it would still be something of a crap shoot for roll happy hosts.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 18, 2016

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

KonvexKonkav posted:

I have two spoilery questions about NPC sidequests in this game that I don't want to consult a wiki for:

1. Is this like DS2 where I need to summon certain NPCs to finish sidequests? More specifically, (Cathedral of the Deep spoiler) apparently you can summon Sirris of the Sunless Realms for the Deacons of the Deep. Have I hosed up her sidequest by not summoning her?
As far as I know, there are nothing like this. AT LEAST in the case you mention, it is not necessary to summon that NPC at all for the sake of advancing the quest line. It does require that YOU be summoned to the NPC's world (through a summon sign of the NPC), but you don't really have to worry about whether or not any bosses are alive/dead to still have the opportunity.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
^^ Thanks. I'll give some of that a try on a low INT build and see how it goes.

a cop posted:

Also, I have a friend who says that he found Chameleon on a corpse, even though he didn't level up with the pilgrim 5 times and so that other NPC didn't show up after the pilgrim died. Everything I'm reading online says that finding Chameleon is predicated upon that NPC showing up (so, you had to have levelled up with the pilgrim 5 times before entering the catacombs)

If there's anyone else who finds Chameleon WITHOUT that other npc showing up please let me know.

Please someone answer this. I was JUST toying with the idea of carebearing my way through Mound-Makers.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

So I guess the way to victory with Flynn's Ring is take off all your armor, equip a fast weapon, and R1 nonstop? Considering it only lets you equip 30 units I'm pushing with just a sword, rings, bow, and pyro flame

No.

Supposedly it is a % damage increase, so it won't benefit faster weapons any more. It is also less of an increase than a target with medium-ish armor is going to mitigate through absorption alone.

Meanwhile, you lose the subtractive 'def' bonus component of equipping armor, meaning the ends result is literally you giving your opponent a greater damage bonus than you give yourself.

As is, it is only useful in some sort of incredibly min/maxed one-hit wonder glass cannon build. For example, maybe using that ring that increases damage at full health, literally ALL stats invested in damage attributes, boosting whatever weapon will (after weight penalties) give you the highest potential AR including buffs, and then just play like you're reenacting the intro the Ninja Gaiden.

What weapon or stat distribution? I have no clue, but I can't see any other purpose for the ring outside of effectively forcing your PvP encounters into a 1-hit/combo victory condition. If it isn't possible to get 90% of your encounters end with you killing the opponent in 1 or 2 hits then it's probably a complete waste of a ring slot.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

it's useless for everyone except for NPCs that can randomly decide to poise through your stunlocks.

Not true. I don't know about the exact mechanics, but after stacking poise it seems like I can get a lot more sloppy with my claymore swings.

If I were to venture a guess I would say that ALL weapons have some sort of hyper armor, which starts somewhere around the end of a weapon's swing, and works backward. Poise being some sort of modifier that increases that hyper armor window to be wider, and closer to the start of the weapon swing.

'tested' in PvP where straight swords would loving rock my dick off in starter Knight set, but after changing some pieces out for higher poise gear I can more reliably trade the first hit, stagger the opponent, and land the follow up.

(highly speculative) This whole relationship is likely modified by the 'poise damage' of the incoming attack - so for example, with enough poise you can just swing a regular greatsword when you see the dude with a straight sword start-up. On the other hand, if you were to take a hit from an ultragreat on roughly the same exact frame it would probably stagger you out of your attack, so even if you trade, the ultragreat with more default hyperarmor frames might end up with the follow up on YOU.

Don't get me wrong. You need stupid amounts of poise to notice much of a difference, but the requirements for "good" performance seem setup on some sort of bellcurve, where the faster weapons would need completely preposterous amounts of poise, but don't really need it anyway, and the slowest weapons not needing too terribly much (many default hyper armor frames), but could stand to benefit from some more. Meanwhile, the middle of the road (regular greatswords, polearms, etc) are slow enough to need poise, but don't have enough default hyper armor frames to let you get away with just a modest bit of poise.

I could be completely wrong about a lot of this. I just know that when using the default knight set using a Claymore it was HUGELY frustrating dealing with opponents using straight swords. Once I stepped up to the Cathedral Knight set these mongs would get completely stomped because they couldn't simply stun me on the first hit, where I didn't have to be agonizingly precise with pre-empting their attacks. Instead I could comfortably just trade the first hit, tank through while the stagger, and get my follow up.

Given the general buff to general greatsword class weapons I almost expect this to become a new meta, because it is a really powerful hard counter to straight swords or lighter, and it doesn't really require any particular playstyle changes. That it will on average now be about 10% more powerful, where I was about 50/50 on invasions vs straight swords BEFORE poising up... yeah.

Poise is good. You just need a lot of it, which means you need a lot of VIT to equip the armors you need for the poise.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 18, 2016

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

m.hache posted:

Can someone explain why my raw Astora sword does more damage overall in lieu of the heavy upgrade when I have 24 str? Do I need higher str to get the payoff?

Astora's has high base damage, so a lot for the Raw infusion to play with, but has very poor scaling, so very little for Heavy, Sharp, or Refined to play with.

In other words, it's terrible for anything but Raw, Fire, Deep, and maybe some of the other "effect" type infusions that borrow more from base damage but don't add much scaling.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Maybe I'm gonna feel dumb for asking this, but uh.... how on earth are you supposed to deal with enemies that have shields when you're using a Curved Sword/Thrusting Sword? You can't shield break and you can't even kick. I don't get it :(

Carry a dagger. Quickstep behind them. Backstab.

Alternatively, beat the poo poo out of their shield until you burn their stamina and break their guard.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Your Computer posted:

B-but my gimmick build :negative:

Beating on the shield doesn't work with an Estoc since it bounces off something fierce, giving the enemy a free counter-attack.

Use your drat 2H R2 special, you mong. It pieces shields. :v:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Yes I cheated to enter a funny invasion to make the other guy look at 9 million souls and decide what he wanted to do with them.

I take it you still get souls from the invader if you kill them right?

If it is anything like other souls games, the reward is not based on how many souls you're carrying, but what your SL is. They get souls, but it will often be little more than killing some NPCs in the host's zone.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tamayachi posted:

I'm trying to figure out a Dex build with magic solely to buff my weapons, but the dual wield weapons feel pretty underwhelming compared to my old STR knight. I'm hoping they get a little more oomph with upgrades, but right now they feel like they're only doing like 75% of what my longsword was doing at +0

If we're looking at Dark Souls 1 style buffing, dual wield weapons are probably the way to go for buffs.

So assuming that, weapon buffs would work something along the lines of adding the Spell Buff power * X, where X is the modifier of the buff in question. In Dark Souls magic adjust was much higher, so here we're probably looking at X being somewhere around 2.0, maybe more.

This is also assuming there isn't a generic % reduction per hit on the L1/L2 attacks, which would basically render dual wield weapons completely irrelevant, but you can take it for a quick test drive. Go slap something with your duel wield weapon of choice. First with an R1. Record the damage. Then with the L2. Again, record the damage (per hit).

Now slap some resin on the bastard and go hit the same target, once with an R1 (to get an approximate baseline for how much damage is being added by the resin), then with the L1. If you're looking at roughly the full power of the resin being applied to each hit on the L1, dual-wield setups are probably ideal for "buff" focused builds, where maybe you hit base requirements, infuse Raw, and get your damage scaling primarily from buffs.

On the other hand, if the apparent damage increase seems like it is being divided between the two hits, then gently caress dual wielding, because I otherwise have no idea how to make that crap good at all.

From there, just make sure you are using a catalyst that actually has a spell buff value higher than 100. Some of these things literally do not appear to scale at all.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Mound Makers are really fun when you can get the host to play ball.

Had a couple tonight at Cathedral that were pretty great.

One group must have been using dried finger, and the host had his glass cannon sunbro standing in. Had three encounters with that duo. Completely stomped the phantom first encounter - must have had like 600 HP. Rolled off the roof top like an idiot on the second. I got a third shot, which ended up pretty fair, but I came prepared with a Buckler and parried his magic weapon dual bandit knifes for the confirm. In all cases, the phantom kill got me the reward and everyone's happy! I guess.

A few others with two clearly unprepared peoples were standing just past the zombie hoard. The first hadn't kicked down the ladder - I tried to gesture him toward it, and after much resistance he eventually quit attacking me. Unfortunately he never quite caught on about the ladder. I am hoping one day he'll find it, and realize what that Mad Dark Spirit was trying to tell him, and maybe that Mad Dark Spirits aren't all that crazy. It could have all been an act, but when he started casting poison on me I just let it slowly tick down until I was dead. Enjoy the souls, little buddy. Hope you figure out that ladder thing.

The other I ran into at the same place, and she was poking the poo poo out of me with an estoc, which I still haven't figured out how to deal with, even though I had the Buckler at the ready. Thing just wouldn't parry - which is just as well, because when I backed off to see if this host had kicked the ladder I saw the phantom summoning notice. Backstabbed that poor rear end in a top hat into next Tuesday, took my shackles, and left the host none the worse for wear!

Finally, I ran into a relatively underpowered group and ambushed the phantom up on the buttresses. Either I needed 2 phantom kills, or I didn't get credit, but the host backed off, giving me the opportunity to gesture back toward the bonfire. He actually followed me all the way there, at which point he was kind enough to summon another phantom for me to eat!! And I did.

That said, invading isn't really my thing. The majority of encounters are just dog piles, and it's silly to not try and be an opportunist, but that tends to bring out the worst in groups which gets in the way of the whole, help me, and I won't eat you (host).

Still, I appreciate the mad dark spirit dynamic. Didn't really see much chaos though. Only one instance where there were two whites, a blue, and a red tearing everything up. It was pretty crazy for sure, but the invaders didn't stand a chance.... especially since I got my credit by killing the red phantom. :v:

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 19, 2016

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

I mad spirited in Anor Londo and right after the pontiff boss. They host fight clubs, which suck since those guys are minmaxed for PvP, but you can wait them out for a free vertebrae if you don't just bail straight away to roll the dice again. The reason I invaded there was that there's a greater chance for a three-way on account of the Aldrich covenant. With an Aldrich on your side, you can even the numbers on the host, and possibly backstab the Aldrich if you're close to completing your vertebrae. :gibs:

My level and weapon is too high for the regulars passing through Londo now though. I've been invading in the smouldering lake, the prison and the garden instead. Red phantoms aren't regular there unfortunately, although Blue Defenders pop up often. Defenders seem to spawn in the same places as invaders, which means NPCs often kill them before they can link up with the host. It's hosed up, but it's a step closer to a vertebrae for us. If Dark Souls has taught me anything, it's to seize any advantage you get.

I find that you have to fight dirty as a purple phantom. Particularly because your matchmaking favours hosts that already have a phantom present. Running up to the host and his white phantom in an area they've cleared is for chumps. I wait them out and fight at the edge at places where you can make them draw NPC aggro. The hosts tend to be too defensive to attack, but the phantoms have less to lose and will engage near NPCs. It ends up being a lot like the rat covenant in Dark Souls 2.

Yeah, I'm still low level so I need to try my luck in Farron. I don't mind it favoring hosts with phantoms, it just means you have to get a little creative, but you don't have to do anything strange to try and get a phantom for your credit. A host that knows what ups is at least vaguely likely to back off a bit if you're mostly ignoring them. It isn't that common, but a non-trivial portion of my purple invasions would have the host backing off and leaving their phantom out to dry, and I am OK with that. Wish there were more reds, though. Purples seem like they're at their best as a wild card in the midst of a bunch of different phantoms with different interests, with the host always being the trump. I only saw one red in that one invasion I mentioned.

It's good stuff. The only thing I think needs to be touched up are the purple signs. There is grieving potential, so I don't mind it, but I don't think it has much purpose beyond that.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I found a Shrine to Unhollow myself. I know that this effects the ending somehow, should I do it or stay the same? Yuria has already replaced Yoel

I don't think it matters so long as you don't purge the Dark Sigils, but I think that is exactly what the statue will do. So if you want the associated ending, I wouldn't mess with it. I think you can use Purging stones you can buy from Yuria if you want to look like a pretty princess without ruining the quest line/ending.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Sometimes it works out. I summoned a mad phantom when going through the high wall on a new character, and they were actually helpful, even taking down an invading red.

I have only been messing with purple signs if invaded when I have the option - because it's something of a wild card and isn't a blatant "gently caress you" to invaders. The phantoms could team up on me (which isn't very unfair, they tend to step on eachother's toes) or could team up with me against the red, which has the same effect. It's just a nice interesting feature, I just wish there were some other incentive for using a purple sign, because I haven't even bothered placing my own for the very reasons people mentioned. It's too much of a crap shoot whether you will be picked up by someone like me who isn't just looking to gank a poor fool.

I don't mind it too much. If Purples got much more attention they would really stand out, and red invaders would really be lagging behind - only existing for the sake of covenant rewards. So I only mention the state of purple signs because it would be nice to see more of them for my own purposes (summoning on and trying to manipulate encounters to "feed" the purple phantom hapless white/yellows, or as a wild card when invasions are stacked).

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Hah I wasn't even thinking about it at the time but now it's really obvious that the Farron swamp area is at least partially Ash Lake. Just found some cool armor that cinches it.

There's another little hint in there that suggest it is Dark Root Basin/Oolacile.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

uh oh pancho! posted:

outside the Grand Archives all of the gargoyles look like ludleth. is this significant?
Yes.
No.
But, yes.
But also, no
This is a souls game. It is as significant as you make it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

No one is going to expect you to heal them since very few people co-opers ever do it, so there is no protocol.

I did run into a host that played a support healer during Abyss Watchers. It was pretty neat. He managed to place himself right in the middle of things so that we would be getting heals while whacking on things. It was a really interesting playstyle. Can't say much about the efficacy, but it did work.

But you're right. It's all about personal responsibility. No one expect heals, and in fact it's pretty much expected they will never happen.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Oh I got the butcher's knife. Turns out the best weapon for a mad NPC is the rapier cause it stunlocked the gently caress outta her.

Question: BF managed to kill her by pushing her off a cliff, apparently he can now see the item she dropped stuck on the cliff wall. Any way to reset it's location?

Yeah, when you reload the area (quit to title and reloading works) the item drops will be placed at the NPCs spawn location.

This only works for NPCs that do not respawn.

Other options are sitting a bonfire, but I believe dying will forfeit things... actually, having said that, I haven't even tried quitting to title, but that's how it worked in DS1.

vvv I don't think so, because I hit the bonfire after kicking the Master at Firelink off a cliff and it popped up just fine at his spawn.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

The onion man and I just killed a giant fire tree lookin' thing? He told me I should have waited instead of trying to attack him. Did I gently caress it up? :(

Nope!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

Pyromancy is a decent choice, though, and if you've been to the Cathedral of the Deep you can respec into something more pyromancy-focused right away.

Can also get Orbeck's ashes to purchase spells. Dunno how that interacts with the scrolls which expand his inventory though.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
^^ You already traded for those items, and you can only collect rewards once in this game.

Capsaicin posted:

So after fighting fire tree thing in Undead Settlement with Siegward, where am I supposed to go? I climbed around the houses until I got to a tower that the only way out of was down a pit that would have killed me if I jumped it? There's also the big door opposite jug guys and church that is locked. I haven't been able to find out how to get down into the river yet either.

You can drop down the inside of the tower if you jump to a platform mid-way down. There is a Cloranthy ring down there.

It just loops back to an earlier part of the level, though.

You probably want to go back to where you first encountered Seigward and think about that elevator some more, especially with regard to how you first encountered Seig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Boing posted:

I'm confused about dual wielding. I started a Mercenary and dual wielding my twin swords does noticeably less damage than just using the single-handed R1 attacks, which I can still use with a shield in my left hand (and thus, the ability to block). The only advantage seems to be the weapon art, which I can still use with a shield in my hand.

Is there any point to dual wielding? My suspicion is that it becomes better once you have things that give a flat boost to attack damage, like rings and weapon buffs, but I don't know if that's exactly how those work and I don't know if the twin swords scales that down too. Or maybe dual wielding just does more poise damage or something. Has anyone had success with it?

I think the idea is in using weapon buffs. There are also some tools that increase damage with consecutive hits, so there is some big damage potential with lots of stamina and the right weapon buffs.