Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

more spoilery stuff will be here eventually

Fine work for the k***ht.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm probably going to beeline for it, how do I get in the purple pals covenant? Also how quickly can I get a zweihander? I know the greatsword is pretty early on.

Also is Bloodborne's password system back?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also I forgot to ask but for the password system will it pull from anyone with the password anywhere like in the Chalice Dungeons or do they have to have the sign in the area?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Last question I have otherwise I'm going in blind; after getting an ending, can you reload and try for the others (that are available to you) or do you need to beat the game multiple times to see it all? In Dark Souls 2 you could just keep going afterward for more stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

You do not go straight to NG+ after the credits unless you choose to, but you can't fight the final boss again for a different ending. You should be able to "save scum" for them all, though, by copying your save pre-final boss. That said (very minor spoiler) one of the endings requires that you meet certain requirements earlier in the game.

Thanks! I'm prepared to die now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fhqwhgads posted:

I went PC for this since I actually have the kind of hardware that should run this maxed at 60fps for a change. Now I'm torn between Knight and Pyro for my first playthrough. So many upgrade paths I want to try, so many weapons...

I mean Pyromancer with a Raw Astora Straight Sword sounds like a good time, and will let me pump INT/FTH as opposed to STR/DEX to play around with all the spells as well, right?

I've heard magic's pretty underwhelming this time (don't know about pyromancy) so I think I'm going to start as a knight, grab a big sword, then level up into using something or other as a supplement.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Pyromancy is good. Actually all the magic is good, it just requires a ton of investment and 30 Intelligence/30 Faith is just a little more accessible than 60 in either Intelligence or Faith.

That's good to know too! I was reading gripes about it, even after the fix. Maybe I'll go Herald and work up.

God this is the longest workday.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

So, the thing about Faith is that the Lightning Spear-type miracles don't work the way everyone thought they did. If you use them at range, like you would in the past two Souls games, they're insultingly weak for their FP cost. Just so bad. But their damage scales based on your proximity to the target, and if you're point-blank, they're very strong. They also have hyperarmor on their casting animation (and you can get more with the talisman weapon art) and cast much more quickly than DS1/2.

Basically, miracles are now fully melee-magic. Lightning Spears have range and you can use them for pulling or punishing Estus chugging in PvP, but the real damage comes in when you slam a Sunlight Spear directly into someone's face. People didn't get that at first (and also didn't know that magic soft-caps at 60 instead of 40 this time), which is why there was a lot of "magic is broken and scaling does nothing" a couple of weeks ago. (Also, much like DS1, catalysts/talismans have varying ratios of base magic adjust to scaling that can mean that the best talisman for you to use at 35 Faith probably isn't the same as the best one for you to use at 55 Faith.)

Ohh, I see. So magic is the longer range stuff (Soul Greatsword aside), pyro is a grab-bag, and miracles are close-range? That's pretty cool actually. I'm definitely going to try battlemage again then. Thanks for the info!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are the wood carvings back or is this a 0/10 game? :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

They are back. You get them from the crows.

Ok good the game remains a 10/10 then

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think the biggest thing I'm going to miss from DS1 and 2 is that 3 is already out so we aren't going to all swap bad/not-quite-accurate information trying to work ourselves along the whole time. That was the best part of DS1 for me, especially in the broken multiplayer dark times on 360 DS1. An hour and a half for one summon at Ornstein and Smough! :allears:

e: Summoning Failed

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 11, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

voltron lion force posted:

Remember when people thought if you raised your dex enough you could get the flippy darkwood grain roll lmao

My favorite was it taking everybody like two months to figure out what the gravelord covenant was supposed to even do, because it only worked for NG+.

quote:

Classic claymore/shield approach is functional, but the bandit knife and shortbow soul arts make the game a ton of fun and feel like Bloodborne. UGH, DECISIONS.

While I dislike Bloodborne's style of gameplay I appreciate that there is the gear there to play like that if you want to.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pwnstar posted:

I am excited to play the videogame Dark Souls 3.

2016's shaping up to be a good year for viddy games between XCOM and Dark Souls.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

b0red posted:

bows have always been good

My Dex/Faith DS1 run was absolute trash outside of the Moonlight Bow, which let me kill Manus. Bows good.

e: It was so bad that in order to not get destroyed by Artorias, my lovely character joined forces with two other poo poo-people to form a mediocre squad. There were casualties.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 11, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Uh... how did you manage to gently caress up so badly. Dex/fth is one of the strongest builds in Dark Souls. Something like Falchion+DMB/SLB shits out stupid amounts of damage.

A lot of poor life choices in stat management and weapon upgrading. I also hosed up a lot of side quests for miracles because I wasn't paying attention. The whole thing was a trainwreck I was determined to salvage.

To my credit though I beat Kalameet in single combat with that guy, which I hadn't done before or since.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TaurusOxford posted:

Agreed, but I think my first playthrough will still be the Claymore, if only because of its amazing battle arte: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBXHboymFsI

Yes please

quote:

Besides literally having Ornstein in DS2, a character from DS1, as well as tons of items with references in the text, there's kinda the fact that the lord souls from DS1 are there, which is huge. The only way you can ignore that is if you never got to NG+ in DS2.

Ivory King just makes it explicit too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I saw a (sort of not-spoilery) thing about the three big ending things and I don't know if I want to do the easiest or the hardest first. And I just realized I'll be out all weekend so I can't play as much as I'd like.

b0red posted:

It's like time is going slower as each hour goes by

Space and time is distorted

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Groovelord Neato posted:

Ornstein isn't actually in ds1, he's an illusion.

I hope we fight the Old Executioner in 3.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Section Z posted:

While I doubt it's in DS3, my half serious half joke hope is still Old Executioner's Chariot. His legs aren't what they used to be.

Give it bonewheel-wheels and you have the boss of the century.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

net cafe scandal posted:

Dark Souls III

They called the fourth souls game Dark Souls 3.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

b0red posted:

Since you still have time to make it to the beer store. What is everyone's choice of drink tonight? Got a growler of dead guy ale for such an occasion :cheers:

I've got homemade gin to use as my estus.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aurra posted:

Do enemies track the player as much as they did in 2? The addition of so many tracking attacks really killed my enthusiasm for the PVE experience and I never actually finished it, despite putting hundreds of hours into its predecessors over many playthroughs.

They tracked about the same in DS2 as BB, but made the animations less stupid about it, so I'd brace yourself.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gologle posted:

Literally everybody is going to doing SIK DRIFTS oval office with the Farron Greatsword and instead here I am with the Wolf Knight's Greatsword just doing the classic Artorias moves. It's sad when people forget the good oldies in place of the new hotness.

I'm going to use claymores and zweihanders and fling and pancake people all day.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The thread title really should have been Dark Souls III - gently caress YEA MOTHERFUCKER.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Frankston posted:

I bet it doesn't actually go live until 38 minutes past the hour or something like that.

I bet the servers crash.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So is there a giantdad or the mask of the father in this one?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A friend of mine died to the first boss, somehow. :haw:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark Souls 3 just caused my computer to shut down to overheating. It was perfectly fine yesterday. :stare:

Also I didn't get my burial gift. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is FPS unlimited on Max or something? Lowered to High and I'm holding at 65C, but at max settings it burned the computer out in half an hour, and it's a GTX970.

Also turns out the sovereignless soul the game didn't decide to give me was only 2k souls so who cares. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BaconCopter posted:

Game was running perfectly until I tried to travel to the High Wall of Lothric and then my game got stuck in a loading loop, letting it sit there for 7ish minutes didn't do anything. After this happened 3 times in a row I decided to verify the games integrity and Steam finds 1 file wrong... a 10.8 GB file. What the flying gently caress?

Game's got some issues.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lil' Manus in the High Wall is butchering me and my computer's about to overheat again on medium, what in the gently caress.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Your Computer posted:

This game has

1) The story of Dark Souls

2) The UI and aesthetic of Demon's Souls

3) The engine and combat of Bloodborne

What hath science wrought?

There's so many enemies, and we're in the parish, and the dragon learned how to look down the stairs, and also it's manus, and there are manuses everywhere and holy poo poo

Game good besides the overheating guys.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anal Surgery posted:

For (i think) the first boss after you get to Firelink, the ice mace dog man, he seems scary at first, but he suffers from Sif Crotch Safe Zone syndrome. The only issue is when the camera goes apeshit when you're under him.

So far everything does except Lil' Manus.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Lol @ pc mustard race suffering a ton of issues. Good choice of platform. :thumbsup:

I just wanted to play with my friends. :negative:

Also wow the longsword and lucerne are good.

quote:

it matches you against groups before lone players so yeah you're mostly going to get them

They didn't need to bring that aspect of Bloodborne back.

quote:

Is there a way to switch my jump button to circle DkS1 style? I loving hate the stick click jump but every time I try to change it it doesn't save.

There's a section for keybindings. It includes joystick!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kanos posted:

Yeah, trying to swap it to circle there doesn't actually work since it just goes back to default whenever I do. Other button swaps work fine.

That's weird, it worked for me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dang, even updating drivers isn't helping the heating. Guess my hopes are on that patch.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I joined the purple pals! It's hilarious. :v:

e: As a pal you can see which soapstone signs are your friends and which aren't in the covenant too. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My up-to-date GTX970 and AMD 8320 machine overheated and auto-shutdown for the second time playing DS3 so I guess I'm done for now.

At least I learned that moundmakers are rad, and the longsword sword art is useless.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mortimer posted:

No performance issues here, consider upgrading your PC's anyone who's having problems :smug:

The game runs fine for me, until my computer hits 90 celsius. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Forcing v-sync in the nvidia control panel seems to be helping DS3 not blow up. I'm guessing the framerate's unlimited?