Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rolo posted:

I got my rear end kicked by the first real enemy and my smile was so big the whole awful fight.

I saw the tutorial message that turned back, knew exactly what was going to happen, and ran in anyway. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ZZZorcerer posted:

So... I summoned a mad ghost and killed it, didn't get anything :confused: why would anyone summon purple ghosts if the host doesn't get anything by winning ?

I thought that you're not supposed to be able to tell that you're doing it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Huh, Moundmakers don't get covenant items for killing red phantoms, just white. Also it's really funny to go through acting like a bud until one's weak enough. :getin:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JonTerp posted:

You can fix it completely by setting your "Lighting" graphics setting to low, so I figure it has to do with light reflecting off certain gear?

Whatever it is I hope they fix it in the patch rumored to be coming tomorrow.

I've hit two hours so I can't refund it but jesus, I go from 25 Celsius to 75 in under thirty minutes. No other game on this machine since I set it up has gotten close to 60.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

The Knight guy after the dragon in the High Wall of Lothric is by far the hardest enemy of his type I've run into in one of these games. Black Knights and Blue Eye Knights got nothing on him, jesus.

I haven't had any trouble with the knights, I just keep my shield up, circle around, then backstab. Follow up with a heavy attack while they get up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So Farron Dart is pretty useless at minimum int requirement and an unupgraded catalyst. The heal spell you can buy works okay though. :v:

And I just watched someone kill the fat witch and all her buddies with a few soul greatsword swipes, so that was rad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a dart. Its only for pulling mobs, not doing damage. Its not a soul arrow. But yeah, it does like literally zero damage.
Soul arrow and greater soul arrow do decent damage with good int, especially lots of mobs are weak to magic. Magic sword is pretty great on top of an already good weapon.

Also don't forget:

Sword art for catalysts gives you a temporary buff increasing spell damage.
Sword art for chimes gives you a regeneration buff.
Sword art for talismans gives you a buff to poise while casting miracles.

Different effects! The chime gives you a free heal without using up a attunement slot, which is cool, although its a slow heal. But you can pre-cast it too.

Oh it's that on purpose? I didn't realize. I killed a phantom with one though his shield so there's that. :haw:

I forgot about those arts though, thanks for reminding me!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just realized moundmakers is basically there so purple pal can try and sneak a kill while the host uses them as long as they can, so it's a game of cat and mouse and watching your back. It's really cool and once things start to die down and people realize that it could be the only option it'll be rad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Am I the only one with the overheating issue? I ran Witcher 3 on high with no issues, this shouldn't be happening!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

It was when I ran into Hellkite Drake, Mark 2 at the High Wall of Lothric when I went "okay, guys, this is getting a little much."

Then again, the swerve they threw at you kind of made up for it. You were expecting a nice prize for squeaking past the fire? TOO BAD. MIMIC TIME.

I was just about to ask if there was anything behind it! Has anyone killed it yet?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How is anyone dying to Gundyr? Starting as a knight, he hit me only once, and longswording his butt worked well enough. Same with the boss after him.

OwlFancier posted:

Sort of.

I shot it in the knee fifty times and it hosed off when I got it down to about 10% health and I got a large titanite out of the deal.

Neat!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What do you all think it means to be Unkindled too? An undead who failed to light the fire the first time? Does the fact you were undead and died mean that when the flames are lit, the undead die until it fades?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RVProfootballer posted:

Start as deprived, two hand the club, roll around a ton, get hit twice before you've figured out all his moves or when you slightly mistime a roll, die. It's easy to die when you play the game the right way :colbert:

I mean I didn't even need the shield, just hug his but hole.

Maybe it was all that practice against Vendrick. :haw:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm starting to really resent how much damage the enemies do. Given, I don't like to put any more into vigor than I absolutely have to, but it feels like every single enemy can take me from full-death in a single combo.

As a purple pal, I appreciate it because it means people start to trust me long enough if I hack at them. Then if an invader shows up even better! Then I poke them in the butt once and get their sweet, sweet, vertebrae. :unsmigghh:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Does anyone have a link to a good summary of the plot of the first two DS games? I honestly never really understood it more than "here is a big monster, slay the poo poo out of it", but I feel like I should

In a nutshell, Dark Souls 1 is about "linking the fire" (by using yourself as kindling), keeping the world turning. Dark Souls 2 is about choosing not to the next time the fire needs rekindling. Dark Souls 3 is what happens when the world is ending because you took the path of the Humongous.

Also Dark refers to dark things and also humanity. Dark dark dark darkity dark dark

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

Also if anyone's thinking about upgrading their drivers to improve performance - maybe don't do that. Reports are coming in that Nvidia's latest DS3-ready driver is bricking some people's cards.

It's not bricking mine, but also not helping performance at all anyway, so don't even bother risking it.

Also the timer for the game on Steam seemed to keep going past the overheat/crashes because I didn't play for 3 hours yesterday, but now I can't refund it and just get it on PS4. Hopefully one of these patches helps it not catch my computer on fire.

quote:

No crashing issues with my gtx 970

To be fair the 30 minutes before I hit 90 Celsius are silky smooth.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Cool, thanks for the summary. That actually makes some sort of sense. So basically it has just been a repeating cycle of undead, and each new protagonist is just feeding more and more into it

Pretty much. DS2 muddles it some by forgetting what half the stuff in DS1 meant, but the gist is link fire, life great, fire fades, undead show up, one undead goes "watch this everyone" and sets self on fire, fire linked, repeat.

Also what the gently caress was the throne of want in the end? Just the Kiln?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Because you know objectively what stuff in Dks2 meant, more the developer does. :jerkbag:

No? It muddles it by having different characters refer to different terms as different things in different contexts than in DS1. Which is the point, since most characters in the game don't actually know much of anything about DS1. Scholar clarifies it but also changes a lot of the context of things in both games further. Just look and see how many people didn't get where Drangleic was, which is fair, because the ocean used to be below it.

quote:

And yeah, the Throne of Want is just the Kiln in another shape.

Thought so! The implication it can do more than rekindle is odd though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

While sprinting through the high wall with 5% hp remaining and no estus and oh jesus there's dragons and oh jesus it learned to shoot fire in a second direction and enemies everywhere was fun and great, I feel like I missed out on a lot of loot. :haw:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

weekly font posted:

So every parry shield has a different-ish parry animation? Boy do I hate that.

I couldn't even land a parry on the tutorial enemies, though I got partial ones. I just gave up and switched to one that lets me use the weapon stance instead.

Then I learned that the longsword weapon stance sucks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I accidentally saw a thing and apparently if you kill the crestfallen knight his ashes can be given to the merchant for more loot? Or maybe it's quest related. At any rate there seems to be a lot of that kind of thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh the longsword stance is for guardbreaking, doing extra damage, AND setting a parry up! I purple palled a guy into a corner then did it and kicked him off a cliff. :v:

Turning off SSAO and setting lighting to low is kind of helping with the overheating too, but jesus.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah this is unplayable for me over half an hour. With everything to set to low, I can play this game for twenty minutes. Then it goes from 20 degrees C to 80 and I have to stop. I can run and play it perfectly with no frame drops, it's just hitting the CPU hard. Would anyone know why?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

When was the last time you dusted your computer's fans? :cheeky:

Its possible if you used an artificial frame limiter, especially if you're playing at 30fps on an old card, go into your driver settings and set refresh rate or vsync to "half refresh rate" (aka 30fps). That'll keep it from running itself ragged and overheating.

If it still overheats after you force a 30fps cap, then either you need to fix your computer fans, or just have some rare hardware bug and have to wait for either FROM or NVIDIA/ATI to fix it.

It's not my hardware, every other game including Witcher 3 and XCOM 2 worked flawlessly. I'll try a frame limiter though, thanks; it's definitely not that I can barely run it, I can go at max with a perfect framerate. I'm using a GTX970, can I do that through the nvidia control panel or do I download a third party software?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

There is no joke, I thought he was an npc placed there by the devs to gently caress with people, hence why you can't summon him and the message nearby. Instead it turns out it's just a dude who wants to gently caress with people who coincidentally needs to get a better internet connection.

In the few minutes I had before I hit the heat limit I had one host whose world was two minutes behind. It was interesting.

quote:

man I see all these people having trouble with a 970 and it's running absolutely fine on mine. Guess I lucked out, there seems to be something hosed up with the port

My last few machines failed because the cooling system took a poo poo and melted a hole (literally) through various parts so I'm super paranoid about it. :ohdear:

I did just boot up XCOM2 which didn't raise things at all so at least that's a relief.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

Between my ninja-hood and ice-sword, I've accidentally created Sub-zero.

If you have a 970 then maybe try forcing it to 60fps instead, that could still help even though in theory DS3 is already limited to 60. Or try 30 (half-refresh). Some games have problems with that. Nvidia control panel should be able to do a rough 60 or 30fps cap in the vsync settings somewhere (you have to use vsync), or you can get external software which lets you frame-limit to any arbitrary value, and sometimes limiting to 62 or 59 can help too. Computer gaming is just always kinda tricky.

To FROM's credit, I've had TONS of problems lately with other games too, even though most games run flawlessly. I play Battlefront at 100+ fps on my g-sync monitor at 1440 max settings and it looks beautiful. But then some random game will run like crap, and I have to roll back my drivers. Had to do that twice before DS3 (although DS3 runs fine for me :iiam:) Definitely try rolling back your drivers if you haven't yet.

Don't know if its NVIDIA or Microsoft or who, but somebody is loving up hardcore lately. Its annoying but some troubleshooting can usually work around it?

I'm serious about dust, btw. If you have some canned air, blast that poo poo in there. Its easy to forget about how much dust has accumulated in your machine.

Good luck.

Yeah I'll get some and clean it out later too, just to get it down a bit more; resting it's at 18C right now, then active usually mid 20s. Thanks for the advice, I'll muck around with it and see what I can do!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a ton of poo poo hidden in undead settlement. For instance, the best ring in the game. (cloranthy ring)

Happy hunting :)

I need to stop moundmaking and start exploring more but it's just so fun to act like a friendly phantom then wait for the perfect time to strike!

quote:

or OR you can just circle strafe him and ping him to death with soul arrows if you're a BITCH like me

Try thrusting but hole

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Moundmaking is horribly annoying when it's just getting summoned to gank squad but the satisfying trick plays make it all worthwhile.

Someone tried to do that to me, but grabbed the wrong sign and pulled in a second moundmaker. We had a good time. Last night I even channeled my inner Patches and was able to kick someone off a cliff. :v:

It's the best covenant since the bellbros. The nice thing too is you get the souls from dead npcs anyway, so you don't actually waste your time on much if you fail.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Why do you sometimes get another Estus Flask use out of nowhere? I can't seem to discern the pattern. It was happening before I wrote any messages, so it definitely isn't that.

Maybe it's something like someone else using the last bonfire you did, like in DS1? It happens when you're a phantom too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

poptart_fairy posted:

Mound makers appear friendly?!

No, but if you start backing up from the host when you meet them and start killing enemies for them, they'll go with it for a while. I've never had one try and backstab me first when doing that. The sign SHOULD appear like a white one though, that'd be more interesting.

Weirdly killing red phantoms doesn't count for the covenant reward, though I didn't get the killing blow so that might be why.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spudd posted:

The estus flask description says that they are green. They are not green.

Also dark souls 3 will never be goty, I can't put "beware skeleton but hole" everywhere

The estus is sunny D-colored, the flask itself is green!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spudd posted:

Wait really? Is it like a super dark green? I thought the estus flask itself was black!

Yep, it's a deep emerald hue.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

turtlecrunch posted:

I really like that they kept Andre as the only NPC with a flapping mouth just like he was in DS1.

I like that he's flabbier.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJ posted:

The pilgrim guy in the shrine tricked me and made me black. Is there a way to undo it?

Black unlives matter, CJ.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

net cafe scandal posted:

So that you're encouraged to keep track of the many changes that can occur at Firelink. It's not really a big deal it's like 20 sec to get there and back

You all keep talking about at least three npcs I haven't seen that have been there from the start apparently lol.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

net cafe scandal posted:

No but there may be some marginal durability drain that I've never noticed. It's not as stupid as in DS2 which is a running theme I've picked up on

Durability doesn't seem like much of an issue this time around. Buy a repair powder just in case but that's all you really need to do.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Nothing like the feeling when you're like five hours in and realize you wish you could rename your character :smith:

I named my guy "Battlemage Io" (just because it's the character limit), realized I don't want to do that, and now regret not going with the old standby of "Scrublord" instead.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Steve2911 posted:

What's this poo poo I heard about the early game being really easy? The first post-tutorial area is at least as hard as all of the other starting areas. I'm getting my arse kicked.

I was having a hell of a time until I realize you can blitz Baby Manus and stab him before he changes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It is surprisingly hard to catch someone just rolling around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Swapping to MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE and adaptive v-sync on the nvidia control panel solved my heating problems. :toot: