Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm disappointed that they didn't follow in DS2's footsteps and have the NG+ with different and new enemies and item locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Ometeotl posted:

Oh good, a lift down to a Toxic swamp full of monstrocities.

try pyromancy

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

Re:bonfire chat. Does anyone agree that the longest stretch without seeing another bonfire is ithyrall dungeon? When you really think about it though if you take the shortest path between each bonfire, UT could take you like 30 seconds of running between each bonfire (assume any doors are open or bosses are defeated.)

Maybe ithyrall or grand archive have the longest before you see a new bonfire (and they double back to the original bonfire twice)

Weird bonfire placement is the new lava elevator.

Grand Archives, easily. What a loving nightmare. The hardest death march of the game for me.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

If nothing else, I love dark souls 3 for bringing us dragon peak, the most bluest sky in the entire series.

Gosh yes, I could almost feel the crisp, cool air in that place. The Sega blue sky was totally out of left field. The view when you beat the area's endboss looking towards the dome is astounding.

A colorful summer Souls game would be seriously beautiful.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It's part of the charm. I've all but resigned to having valley of defilement every Souls game. They get less and less aggravating with each iteration.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Wagrid posted:

Valley of Defilement was the best one though.

I don't know man, I still shudder thinking about the giant club mobs splitting my skull open while I was wading through literal poo poo and fetuses. It was an impossibly huge swamp too.

But yeah, it was the best one. That sense of isolation and mystery with just splashing water and damp sounds in the background. And you really couldn't see anything at all on top.

Would like Demon's Souls 2. Keep the really pared down plot, focus on the immediate atmosphere and world, and not worry about leaving a legacy behind.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 24, 2016

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

New Londo is a high point in DS1, I remember that gave me the first inkling that something really hosed up was going on in Lordran.

The way Lordran is referred to as Londor in DS3, is that just the name getting forgotten and muddled with Anor Londo over history? It's referenced to multiple times.

Sakurazuka posted:

I should really finish DS1 one of these days.

You really should, it has a great endboss. The abyss expansion is exceptional too.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Kild posted:

which articles

There are articles leading up to release day claiming that 1.05 existed and gave 30% performance improvement, those same articles failed to realize that was patch 1.03 and it was already applied on launch day.

We've already had the big performance optimization day 1 patch, we won't be getting anymore.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

No flip-ninja ring? :saddowns:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Invading is definitely harder in DS3 than any other game. I think I fail the vast majority of my ganks. They always have a friend with them, and my 'friends' can gank me in the back.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

speaking of katanas, the uchigatana guy by firelink really cannot handle jump attacks. it's basically a free hit and you can back off and do it again over and over until he's dead

You can roll to his right/your left past his attack and followup with the rolling light attack if you're using a straight sword. Even though you roll past them, the attack will automatically pivot around and face the target. It gets him every time, and allows you to roll back away immediately. This can work on almost any human enemy except the overly aggressive lothric knights.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

1.06 regulation patch detailed, Blue Sentinels and Darkmoon level-matching width adjustments so that more action happens, performce adjustment of daggers twinswords and sorceries (it's all about scaling from, fix that), modifications of balance, error fixes. Not jack about poise.

Good job posting a link to something that literally doesn't even appear on Google at all

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Demon's Souls was the superior game because it wasn't popular. The kind of people that define the fanbase now make me want to claim I never played any souls game in my life. The popularity spike of DS1 was by far the worst thing that ever happened to the series.

lmao 'casuals :cry:'

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Am I the only one who thinks DS1 Lost Izalith, despite its shortcomings and questionable enemy placements, was a lot more interesting, varied and creative compared to Smoldering Lake? Aside from that broken skybox and the bed of chaos, it was still a bigger zone with more nooks and crannies to explore. I was quite surprised to see just how poor Smoldering Lake is after seeing all the complaints about Lost Izalith, I thought FROM would have put in considerably more effort this time around. Not just that, but LI felt like a logical place to stumble upon since you were always going down into the earth. SL is just another room in a catacomb and while it's not as nonsensical as that elevator in Dark Souls 2, it's still a jarring transition.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Why the gently caress is it so hard to find the patch notes? Google brings up nothing, the official site is literally only in Japanese, not even the shitstain that is Reddit is showing them.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Bummed out about the lack of a warlock goat hat :( All I wore in DS2.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Between the server errors in DS1, the degrade glitch in DS2, and now this in DS3 I do not understand why people get the PC version

Do you really need 60 FPS that bad

60fps is objectively the single biggest improvement to gameplay you can do to a video game.

The occasional cheater is well worth the 60fps gameplay over the privilege of paying a PSN/Xbox Live subscription for a jerky sub-25fps lagfest console version with delayed control input.

Have fun.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

At least you didn't have to figure the mechanic out during the boss fight itself. It went over quite a few players' heads that you had to hold down R2 (weapon arts) button to charge the sword up before it could hurt Yhorm.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It's a webm. You can't timg webms. You should repost it again as a gif or link as a gifv

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Digirat posted:

So was the design document for champion gundam "gently caress all caster builds forever" or is there something I'm missing because the only way it seemed possible was using the fastest weapon I had and playing bloodborne mode

Spoiler video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbwox_PEO48

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

smuh posted:

yeah I'll need to come back to that when I'm bored enough to do the same mindless task over and over for like 6 hours

Pure Bladestone says hi

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Jastiger posted:

If you find a world of darkness and there are ages of dark between ages of fire, what purpose do the Knights have? Who do they have? It seems clear that the handmaiden sticks around through the dark, but no one else does. Why is that?

Those knights are probably hollowed out, wandering around in a daze of confusion and helplessness, and clinging onto the one thing they only know what to do. It's telling that the silver knights still patrol Anor Londo, and the two black knights are either knee-deep in the demon ruins trying to slay the last of them, or navigating the Farron Keep trying to reach the stray demon gatekeeper. It's all they've got left.

The handmaidens are surely 'in' on it with whatever greater force is driving the whole thing. It's the handmaidens who start the player on their way in Dark Souls 2 and seemingly so again in DS3 to a lesser extent. They obviously know a lot more than they let on. That the DS3 firelink handmaiden is still there in the abyss speaks volumes.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Boz0r posted:

How do I become "un-embered"?

You are likely unembered right now. If the badge next your health, FP and stamina isn't all singed up, you're not embered.

edit: also if you're embered, your armor will appear slightly on fire.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Blakkout posted:

I've never played a Dark Souls game, but watched Day 9 play this and it looks great. Is there a proper tutorial in this game such that I won't be too hosed for not playing I or II?

No proper tutorial. Prepare to be savaged dozens of times on the first boss alone. :darksouls:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Do I need to git gud a little more, or are slow weapons not very useful in PVE?

Enemies are so fast, and a lot of enemies have poise and armor, so the big slow weapons just lead to me being punished a lot.

Even the Butcher's Knife, which I would not consider to be a slow weapon, most of the time I could only get one or maybe two hits off of most boss's attack cycles. It took forever.

I want to do a runthrough that isn't another goddamn straight sword but it seems to be so much harder for no benefit.

Slow weapons like greatswords seem to shine a lot more in pvp. People slate the dark sword a lot, but greatswords are bigger bastards I find.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

There's a big difficulty spike after dragonslayer armour.
At least it was for me anyway. I didn't really struggle with the game until after I beat that boss.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

BillmasterCozb posted:

I've tested it, even with the silvercat ring on you will not survive falling down the ladder above the Farron Keep bonfire

edit: Gundyr's halbert is the best, in terms of damage, style, grace, and feel

Silvercat Ring only removes damage on falls that still wouldn't have killed you. It doesn't reduce damage or give you the ability to take longer drops.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

B Team complaints looking real good right about now.

On this subject, which team did DS3? Was it a mix of DS1 and Bloodborne guys? DS3 development started during Bloodborne's development, not to mention SOTFS release and Old Hunters addons.

There are probably multiple teams with a great deal of overlap depending on who's been freed up at the time. There's a sizeable number of people who's worked on every single Soulborne game so far if you look at the credits. About a dozen or so names are across them all.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Deified Data posted:

You know going in I really thought that the ancient dragons would play a bigger role (or indeed any role) in the central narrative, what with the wyverns and the hollows/Iudex Gundyr channeling dragon essence, then again with Oceiros trying to revive them and calling out to an unseen Ocelotte, and once I reached the Archives I knew the big guy himself, Seath the Scaleless would make an appearance...!

But no, they're just mobs. I really thought they were building to something for a while.

The game has two expansions this year, I'll be surprised if we don't see any significant bosses lore-wise. I'm hoping for more DS2 connections than anything else.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Harrow posted:

I love that there are so many explicit Demon's Souls callbacks in Dark Souls 3.

Yeah, my personal favourite is the ancient dragon greatshield, it looks just like the adjudicator's shield and shares the same HP regen. There's also a regenerator's ring (sun princess ring) and a blessed infusion that gives health regen as well. All these things have been absent ever since Demon's Souls.

Even the jailers of both games are very similar, they hold lanterns, shuffle the same way, and have an animation that one-shots you unless you stack vigor.

Those who has never played Demon's Souls really should. It is shocking how much FROM nailed it the first time round, 90% of features in DS3 are already there with the exception of covenants. The crows you trade poo poo with, the summons, invasions and fight clubs, the weapon enforcements and infusions, the UI, etc etc etc it's all there. One of the best games ever made.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah I farmed my sunbro coins on the archdeacons for a while.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

There's a fair few interesting little concepts DS2 that I wish were expanded upon in DS3. Ascetics are one, small white soapstones are the other. Large white signs were often relegated to sitting in front of the boss gate so it was hard to find players to trudge through the level itself. Small white soapstones were the perfect answer - it was a bodyguard feature where the bodyguard would eventually return back to his world with his humanity intact after killing enough enemies, no boss kills required, and it could be used anywhere in the world regardless of player progress. It was great for players like me who wanted to regain humanity via helping players kill some mooks here and there or simply explore and progress in their world instead of camping boss gates.

It's the one feature I really miss the most in DS3.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Good source of souls too - you can sell an ember for 1k which is a big amount in the early game.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Notorious QIG posted:

Same goes for the lower bits of Smouldering Lake, which feels like someone dropped some lava into Pthumeru.

Smouldering Lake somehow feels even more rushed than Lost Izalith did.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Deified Data posted:

I don't know if I'd go that far.

Lost Izalith was inspired by Angkor Wat and other similar Cambodian sights down to the architecture and trees wrapping around the ruins and it was a unique area. Smoldering Lake isn't anything but a copy pasted ash lake with a chalice dungeon underneath it. It's shorter and much less imaginative.

The only thing SL has going for it is a better boss, and that isn't saying much.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Viperix posted:

What are the best Pyromancies for PvE? The best Dark spells?

Great Chaos Fire Orb and Chaos Bed Vestiges are the only ones worth a drat in PvE. If you're up against a fire-resistance enemy, you use Black Fire Orb.
If you're using a str/dex build or weapons with infusions that non-physical, you can use Carthus Flame Arc, which is flame weapon by another name, and infuses your weapon with fire damage.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

BillmasterCozb posted:

:allbuttons: Purple bros and bell bros are/were the best

That emote, what in the actual literal gently caress.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Regarding Nito; look at the weapon Aldritch conjures for his melee attacks, it's the gravelord sword, second image, gravelord sword itself

efb

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 7, 2016

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I don't think there's a single frustrating boss in DS3, Wolnir comes close but doing his bracelets in a certain order makes the fight one of the easier ones.

I can understorm Yhorm being a weird case, you get plenty of hints and the item is right there by the throne, but it isn't clear at all that you needed to hold down the weapon art for a few seconds before unleashing it. I understood the gist of it straight away because it's a direct throw-back to the storm king in Demon's Souls, but that one worked straight off basic attacks. I think I probably died once or twice before cottoning onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

I liked DS 1 more than DS 2 but DS 2 at least had interesting locations. gently caress the swamps, gently caress cathedral of the deep (empty waste of a location), gently caress the Profaned Capital (another waste), gently caress Izilith 2.0 hey guys it's still boring the movie. Lothic is good, Undead settlement is good if a bit Bloodborne and Irithyll is amazing. If DS 1 is said to have a bad late game then DS 3 has a bad mid game. The Profaned Capital being the worst. What the gently caress happened there? They forgot to put anything interesting in.

I think they wasted the profaned capital's potential, it's the lordvessel's resting place from DS1 but seem to be squandered even by the series' ambiguous lore standards. Yhorm the giant is also the one thing that's related to DS2 but the giants and the throne of want are largely skimmed over. I agree that DS3 has a weak midgame.

I get that DS3 is a love letter to DS1 but a bit more relation to DS2 wouldn't have hurt.