Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Despite the various different balance shifts throughout the series and the ways that different metas have developed, it's pretty much been consistently true that one-handed blunt weapons are really, really loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Travv0 posted:

After reading people talk about the fight I'm still not really sure what attack they do curses you.

I saw a video once where it seemed like eventually the darkness just takes over the room and you start getting cursed regardless. I think it's just a timer.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

double nine posted:

I really am disappointed that the purple covenant doesn't get more love, it was glorious for about 6 months after release but then it sort of died.

I almost never get purple invaded anymore :(

The problem with purples was that there's no real reason to willingly summon them. Being one was fun as hell, but it was really hard to get summoned into a world that wasn't just duelists or gankers.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Digirat posted:

Purple should be able to go through the boss door with the host and kill the boss for a win. They’re already posing as every phantom at once, may as well let them act like a sunbro so that one might help you and isn’t incentivized to try to betray you before you get to the boss door. Plus some of them will betray during the boss fight instead, and that’s funny

Some purples are basically just reds, some are basically just whites, and some are ?????. The fact that you never know what you get when you summon a purple is already the best thing about them and they’d be even better if From had leaned into that more

Yeah, the one thing I did like about being a purple was that if I came upon like a host, a white summon, a blue and a red all duking it out I could decide pretty much who and how I wanted to gently caress up to fulfill my objective.

If there was an equivalent of that for PvE content for purples it would be way better. Being able to betray people during the boss fight would probably be a bit much and would almost always be the best possible route for a purple, so they wouldn't get summoned still, but the Mound Makers were a really cool idea and have led to some of my favourite PvP moments in the entire series, so it's a shame they haven't quite been fully realized.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

does the backflip replace the kick? I accidentally did that against a lothric knight and confused myself lol

Yeah. Most curved swords get a backflip and slash rather than the guard-break push-kick.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Something I haven't tested. Curved sword off hand. Does tapping forward + L1 give you a slash/backflip?

I don't think so.

Also, right now there's a guy cosplaying as Maldron in the Catacombs of Carthus as 'Good Guy Maldron'; a purple phantom. Going to summon him for sure.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I have never been so loving unhappy at the summoning failed message.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

Is there any way to guard break with them then? That's the only issue Iv noticed so far

Some in 3 actually do have the kick; like the Carthus Curved Sword and a few others, but no with the flip and slash ones the trade-off is that you kind of have to rely on either hit and run, waiting for openings or just spamming R1 (intelligently) to break people's guards.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, leap attacks are good for PvE guard-breaking as well, I'm not sure if two-handing helps with how much stamina they reduce and I hate using them in PvP, but they can be very useful.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

The Carthus Curved Sword is a curved greatsword, not a curved sword. Different baseline movesets.

Nope. The Carthus Curved Sword and the Falchion are both curved swords, but they have a different moveset that includes the kick. There is a Carthus Curved Greatsword, though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Derp. That’s right. Ignore me.

Don't sweat it. It's a big sword and the whole thing about is that it's big and heavy. The only reason I didn't think it counted as a Curved Greatsword is because I'm using one on my current run. I literally looted it just before I read your post.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yep, consistent summons and invasions, even with a little weapon level matchmaker above the recommended for mid-game areas on PS4.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Please, think of your local struggling Darkmoon, wear 'Way of the Blue' when you're in that fabled city on the hill.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Pplease, don't make me grind Silver Knights, I need my Concord fix.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Alright, seriously, if anyone wants to give me thier Proof of a Concord Kept at this point, I'm not above begging.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Iretep posted:

you cant trade covenant items so its not really about how hard you beg. if youre on pc just use cheat engine.

I am not on PC, so I guess I'm just going to have to do a whole nother Faith based character to get the final 'get all miracles' trophy, because I forgot to get my Proofs early on before I outleveled people using Way of Blue and made it impossible.

Why on earth did From take out the Blue Eye Orb.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I got summoned pretty consistently around Undead Settlement/Farron Keep levels as a Sentinel and that's mostly where I enjoy playing the PvP the most, so it's not a big deal, I'm just a little frustrated I'll have to go through and do pretty much all the bosses again because my dumb rear end forgot I shouldn't do Darkmoon blade last.

I might just farm the knights, though. They're super easy to slaughter, so it's not a big deal, either way.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It all adds up, but I think the biggest problem is people not having Way of Blue on past a certain point and being invadeable. I bet there's a pretty thin crossover between people who are consistently embered up and playing online and people who aren't comfortable being invaded past say, Farron's Keep.

It'd be interesting if they made either everybody invadeable, or made solo hosts of embers as likely to get invaded as groups, but made the benefits of Way of Blue inherent for them. Not that it really matters at this point.

At the very least they should have made it so that Aldrich's Faitful and Blade of the Darkmoon auto-invade each other within Anor Londo, and gain the benefits of defeating one another regardless of wether they're summons/invading at the time.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 17, 2018

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Farron Swamp is really slow, yeah. It's not particularly challenging, but you're just forced to slog and it becomes draining.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I have very little trouble with crabs because I spent so long when the game came out fighting them just to see what they dropped (generally, not much) are the shamans the really big Ghru, or the Ghru that spit poison at you, because the big guys are really weak to physical damage for something so massive, which I always thought was weird.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The pawns in Dragon’s Dogma get a bad rep, but they definitely helped a lot of people.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Are you...the next monarch? Or... Merely a pawn of fate? Bearer of the curse... I will remain by your side. Till this frail hope shatters... Take this with you. May it ease your journey. Go on, and see the King. He who made Drangleic what it once was; he who peered at the essence of the soul. King Vendrick.

Bearer of the curse, seek misery. For misery will lead you to greater, stronger souls. You will never meet the King with a soul so frail and pallid.

Seek those whose names are unutterable, the four endowed with immense souls. Their souls will serve as beacons. Once you have found them, return here to me. So that hope will not fade away.

Bearer of the curse... Seek souls. Larger, more powerful souls. Seek the King, that is the only way. Lest this land swallow you whole... As it has so many others.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I really like the Emerald Herald's dialogue and I think it's kind of a shame that it's basically a meme that it's a roadbump.

Outside of the more abstract, mythic concepts you end up dealing with, I think Dark Souls 2 actually provides a lot more context for what you're doing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Standing completely still, waiting for the enemy to attack so I can perfectly reference 'parryframes.mov' on youtube that I looked up before the game came out: Seems kind of static, a bit boring.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yes, indeed, to the swamp kingdom of Blighttaria you must go...

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Demon Soul's worth buying a used PS3 for? It's literally the only game on that console that I want to play but can't.

Yeah, buddy, go for it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

neurotech posted:

DS3 (on the Aussie PS store at least) is on sale at the moment, 75% off. I'm very tempted to get it... how active is DS3 on the PS4 in terms of multiplayer these days?

Not it's peak, but still very. So long as you're roughly matched or slightly overtuned to the area and level ranges expected for a section, you won't struggle to find people to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

There's six Black Knights outside of the kiln.

I don't think they're overtuned in Dark Souls 3 at all, it's very rare you fight the elite types of enemies in big groups, at least without being really careless with your positioning, there's definitely more of them than in 1, but 1 has less enemies and fewer enemy types in general and the encounters are far less challenging or interesting as a result.