Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
you can parry the first boss lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

katanaman is owning me hard tho

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Is anyone else getting crazy amounts of screen tearing? :negative:

Yup

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

how do i fix the screen tearing

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Tree boss coop owns

He's just a loving pain to take down normally but absolutely trivial with 2 people

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

abyss watchers are bugged as gently caress for coop

1/4 times i get a sliding model that doesn't attack me and i can just wail on the dude to finish the boss

the fight and gimmick is really fun too :(

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Welp I Yoel just up and died since I went too far too fast thanks from for having some total bullshit triggers !!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Minrad posted:

Yes

By the time you start finding the next upgrade tier, enemies will start dropping the last tier en masse. Now that I'm finding chunks, every enemy drops large titanite and I'm up to my ears in it. I have like 60 of the regular titanite shards alone.

Roads of Sacrifice is the first split, with several more after that. Notable ones off the top of my head,

Farron Keep and onwards or Cathedral of the Deep
Irithyl or Smouldering Lake
Irithyl city proper or Irithyl Dungeon
Untended Garden and Lothric Castle

The first choice has an objectively correct decision:

cathedral is the correct choice btw if you do farron keep it will lock you out of quite a few npc quests

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

GreyPowerVan posted:

ah yes, why didn't this completely new player think to just PARRY the giant fast swinging dude.

here's how you beat iudex as a thief: take the sword out, wait half a second, swing a ton until he stands up. you've now taken 1/4 his hp. dodge towards him any time he swings and when he stops swinging, hit him a few times. repeat.

use firebombs

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

they're so often positioned to ambush you while you're fighting a more dangerous enemy (like those Bloodborne-dashing dual-dagger assholes).

:darksouls:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

So I have a question. Is it actually possible to beat the second phase of the Abyss Watchers fight?

Because I don't think it is. If so though, how the hell do you even start to fight a guy with a fire sword and apparently infinite stamina who literally does not stop attacking ever?

try Skill and Backstab

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I just got summoned into a 4 man group for Dancer of the Boreal Valley!

We all charged in, she immediately did her grab attack, picked up all three phantoms at once, and one shot all of us leaving the host by himself with a megaDancer

:negative:

Man gently caress that grab

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

ufarn posted:

Reupping in case someone knows, but I'd also like to know what specifically it is about the post-Road area (Farron's) that changes the game and borks some side quests?

Yoel dies immediately and it breaks onion knights order

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Anal Surgery posted:

My name is Anal Surgery and I'm here to say /
Tall Goats suck in a major way!

Seriously though those tall goat boys have given me more trouble than any boss or any other creature (besides the crucifixion crazy boys. I can stagger them to a point, then they jump high, break lock-on, and skitter all over the goddamn place. gently caress those guys.

I typically hate swamp levels but I think Road of Sacrifice/Farron Keep hits the design just right to be stressful but not too tedious. My tip for new players is that I managed to MAKE Farron Keep tedious by trying to ninja past certain Enemies Who Should Seriously gently caress Right Off and getting lost, but if you just follow solid ground/torches/fires, the stress is totally just enemy encounters and a disorienting layout. The poison is nothing and the path is clearer than you probably think it is.

edited in case people want to be surprised by the shittiest assholes in the early game so far (lovely in that they kill me, not lovely in that they are badly designed)

i wreck them by being aggressive

their weapons are interesting if you get them to drop, innate poison

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

What exactly do I need to do to become Lord of Hollows? I figure I might as well do that first time since I've already bumbled my way along it pretty well. Is it just be hollow with five sigils?

https://www.vg247.com/2016/03/06/dark-souls-3-how-to-get-the-best-ending/

Stormgale posted:

Could you go into more detail on the latter, what triggers the fuckery

Sieg just doesn't show up in the well if you step into catacombs and i haven't been able to fix it

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Abyss Watchers is one of my favorite boss fights in the entire series and I died about fifteen times on them last night before ragequitting myself to sleep. Feels like the same sort of difficulty wall I always hit when I play DS1 again and run into O&S.

Second phase is easier than the first imo but theres a gimmick that makes the cutscenes important

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Despite screaming YOU CHEAP oval office about six times, the boss fight in Untended Graves was fantastic after I calmed down. No gimmicks, no bullshit moves that are cynically timed to hit you the second your invincibility frames run out from being knocked over (looking at you ODK...). Just you, an angry man with a halberd and a fight that gets the split between aggression and control just right. :allears:

Try dodging

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

ok crisis averted: sieg showed up in the well after me and 3 phantoms whacked the deacons

gently caress those guys

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

HnK416 posted:

For fucks sake game, can I please summon someone in the Cathedral of the Deep? I'm not too high level for that area am I? 35 with a +3 weapon.

i mean i got someone at like 48-50 but cathedral is a super awesome level that owns and aside from killing giants early and maybe not putting up with the deacons' poo poo :bahgawd: I'd do it solo just for the atmosphere

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

how the heck do you deal with the two giant crocodile wolf things before the Aldritch Faithful covenant? Even fighting one at a time I get eaten in very short order.

try Bleeding

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

fyi if youre stuck on a boss solo its likely you're underlevelled

The pope is a chump with a few levels.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Obligatum VII posted:

Dancer down in about... 5 tries? And all of those were me being greedy.

The secret is hit and run. Funny enough, Dancer has basically no good gap closers and all its stuff leaves it open to being smacked a few times and then running away like a wussy. I always knew my cowardice would pay off one day! Also, you can block pretty much all of its attacks with the pillars in the room. Unbreakable pillars: the great equalizer. It's how I chumped it every time it did it's mega spin thing. Also, the grab was super telegraphed and has no range. I know it goes against the standard boss instinct, but if you dodge away, it never hits you and dancer takes so long between attacks that you can just dodge back in and hit the boss.

just walk around touching its butt with your sword and it goes down like a chump, 2nd phase doesn't have that grab either so it's easier since you don't have to listen for the audio cue!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Wozbo posted:

Speaking of, is it work using a blood gem for the extra +8 or whatever bleed it gets?

in pve only a few mobs have low enough bleed resist to be worth it and even with a katana it needs a full combo to trigger bleed

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

So who is the waifu of this game

Is it dancer and her rear end?

Is it the Firekeeper?

Is it Wolnir?

Yorshka

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

kater posted:

Unless there is a second shithole I haven't gotten to, Farron is the tamest by far of any of these games.

imagine one thats worse, and toxic

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

flowinprose posted:

I think trying to solo the pontiff is going to make me quit this game.

What level are you

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

flowinprose posted:

I finally beat it solo, but god what a pain in the rear end.

Soul level 51, using a +7 mace.

I used the dragon crest shield and stayed primarily towards the side with his fire sword.

Level up more to like 60 or 70

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

codo27 posted:

2/2 against that awful rat face thing you face on the bridge to Ithyrill. 0/3 against them in their second location

yeah jesus the one is trivial with a lil bleed but 2 at a time is brutal

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Your Computer posted:

I think I just found the easiest way to start the game :stare: I picked the Warrior, took off my chest armor (gotta show them abs) and threw away my shield. Every stat point has gone into STR. Every enemy dies in a hit or two.

...And then I got a Greataxe drop. At +2 it killed Vordt in just a few hits and I can one-shot the Lothric Knights :getin: Here's hoping Morne's Great Hammer doesn't suck like DS1's Grant.

go full dragon

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Wait til you see their red eye version

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

The best moment is getting parried by a headless skeleton

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

TheQat posted:

i have honestly been parried more by those than anything else in the game so far

mainly coincidence but they do seem inordinately good at it. if From made the headless ones better at parrying on purpose, well, that's just so :darksouls:

They have a parry stance that's hard to notice when there's like 5

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

The biggest problem with dark souls is that the difficulty in the early game is way more than the late since you can get super owned by a lothric knight on the high wall but the equivalent enemy 3/4 the way in you can tank by chugging your 14 estus flasks

Same with bosses

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Man this Bloodborne alligator guarding irithyl can go gently caress itself

Try bleeding it it has a very low resistance

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

homeless poster posted:

definitely had the impassable boss fog bug where the sunbro i picked up couldn't get into the arena with me. amazingly, the boss still aggroed him outside the arena, ran up to the fog door, and smashed his axe out THROUGH the fog door and one shot the poor guy. the sunbro didn't even get to help, and he still got smeared across the pavement. PC DS3 is just a cavalcade of loving foolishness and FROM should be ashamed of this horseshit

in other news, i was thinking to myself during one of my hundreds of death reel runs between bonfires and a boss room, what's the loving point of putting a bonfire any further than literally right outside the boss door? every zone eventually allows you to open sufficient shortcuts that you can run all the way to the boss room without having to fight any monsters, and at that point all the run is doing is just adding 30 - 60 seconds of busy work onto my next 15 seconds of actual time spent fighting the boss until, whoops, mistimed a dodge, now one hit took my entire health bar, gently caress got to reload to the bonfire and run back again!

during my many death reel runs, i also started to compare the bosses in DS1/2 on a fresh NG to the bosses in DS3, and i came to the conclusion that the DS3 bosses just deal way more loving damage, across the board. unless i have somehow gotten worse with more practice over time, i distinctly remember being able to beat the majority of the bosses in DS1/2 solo, and with far fewer retries than any individual DS3 boss has taken me.

were DS1/2 that much more forgiving in their boss design? it really feels like bosses in DS3 punish the poo poo out of a single mistake, to the point where missing a single dodge or block is good enough that you might as well just let them kill you and restart the whole fight.

yeah ive black crystalled out of a dozen fights where i cant enter the door

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

You can't make it. You have to go through the ruins and go around to the other side

it's possible but really hard

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

So is the dancer glitch that you can summon the NPC phantom and he beats the boss for you? Does this work in ng+ too?

Only if you beat Hanzo steel master and don't beat Vordt

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

skasion posted:

There's way more upgrade mats than in DS1 and DS2 though. Like, I heavily upgraded six or seven weapons and still finished the game with like 50 regular and large titanites, without ever buying or farming them.

but now you need to go and farm up the gems which have a terrible drop rate and you cant buy them anywhere

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Cyberventurer posted:

It's probably cowardly of me to black crystal out of an invasion, but the guy I got must be around level 20 and somehow had the Dragonslayer's Swordspear and as soon as he hit an enemy with it, 3 blue sentinels tried to appear to defend him along with the white phantom that was already there.

I don't know if he's hacking to do that bluecop thing, but I didn't want to stick around to see if he added any other unorthodox special effects to his weapon. :stare:

that is entirely possible but p hard solo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

I believe the implication is that they're Irithyll outriders transforming into beasts, like Vordt.

nah theyre probably oceiros's buds