Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

this is a pretty wack take when perhaps the most common advice given to ds1 players is to strip down for fast roll and you can easily go through the whole game without ever touching a shield

rolling eats more stamina in ds1 but framewise it's mostly the same, and the difference in stamina is due to the changes in enemy attack patterns in ds3.

This is a pretty wack take when shielding was insanely effective in DS1. The advice to just roll everything is because that's what people think it takes to "git gud" at the game. I tend to agree, but that doesn't change the fact that with a greatshield you can tank drat near every attack in the game infinitely.
I think From wants you to block some attacks and roll others but I never wrapped my mind around that.

That too.
https://i.imgur.com/Mp3imcL.mp4

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I thought Midir was fun. If you apply the lesson from Nameless King (just hug the head), he never does anything crazy to punish you.

Aeble posted:

This makes me feel pretty good that I was able to defeat them (after dying a bunch) as a noob to the series, too.

I stopped playing the game not very far in due to life things happening last year, but I want to take it up again. Considering just starting over completely to relearn even though that means I lose my hard-won progress.

I was in the same boat when I played DS1 for the first time, restarting it after only a couple of hours should be no biggie. It's hard-won progress that you'll get back quickly purely by muscle memory and remembering the area layout.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 24, 2020

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

multijoe posted:

The real reason to tell people not to use shields as a crutch is because it does (ugh) engender passivity and you'll probably have much more fun with the game exploiting all your defensive options than just fighting a conservative battle of attrition behind a greatshield

My first playthrough was hiding behind a gr8shield and poking with a halberd. It was fun as hell.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Maybe it's just me, but when getting shot by the angel in the swamp, my thought process was "ah gently caress let's find the exit (probably one of these giant roots?) and kill that thing before I try to explore this open area with no cover" :shrug:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

i too didn't bother with mdir

Mr. Crow posted:

Sounds like yall need to :getgud:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

fuckwolf posted:

Are there any mods that make it easier to co-op with a friend? I know with normal DS3 you basically have to play through each section twice, right? Seems unlikely, but just curious.

I dunno about mods but I played large bits of the game in co-op and it's honestly not so bad to play sections twice. Once you've explored up to the next bonfire with a friend, you can usually just run straight to it on your end since they're always so close together. Or summon your friend again if there's gateway encounters you don't wanna run past.
Also, getting to beat up bosses twice is fun.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Who could forget such timeless bosses as Literally Just Sif But You Have A 50% Chance Of Being hosed, Literally Just Ornstein, Dragonrider But This Time There's Two, Smelter Again, Fat Potato, and Literally Just Quelaag?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 31, 2020

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

neurotech posted:

I think I’ve hosed up bad. I'm at the dragon bonfire in the Ash Lake. I'm cursed. No purging stone. My +5 Uchi does 45~ damage to the crabs which is about 10% of their health at best, and I don't think I want to know how little damage I can do to the Black Hydra. I'm about ready to give up :sadday:

This is the point where you realize you can run past most enemies.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

codo27 posted:

I've been two days (not very long sessions) banging my head against Abyss Watchers. This is so embarrassing. Second phase is so cheap with his flame trails. My god how did I get so bad?

Invading is no fun either. Never get a straight duel, except this one time where the guy actually sent home his phantom and then just tried to parry me over and over unsuccessfully until he was dead.

try rolling and then I did it!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Every time I do the archers, I vow not to cheese it by making the right one fall off, and every time I back off a bit to avoid his attack and he just falls on his own.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

I figured out what it was... loving bluetooth.

I've been playing the entire game on an Xbox One Controller connected wirelessly and putting up with frame drops. I try connecting it with by USB and disabling bluetooth - instant locked 60FPS on high settings.

Ugh.

:eyepop:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

codo27 posted:

Guess who didn't burn any of his 4 shards until the second bonfire of irithyll because he thought that was the item that respawned everything and made it harder :negative:

Activating hardmode by trying not to accidentally activate hardmode. Beautiful.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

codo27 posted:

I remember dying many times my first playthrough in Irithyll, the first couple dancing fucks there on the steps past the bonfire used to give me trouble. I haven't died once yet and I've cleared out everything up to the second bonfire (third if you count the pre-bridge one). I guess I go down from here? Seems to be no way up. Cant believe how unfamiliar it can feel at times, but I guess its been 4 years

Down down down and into the spiderfuck cellar.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
It's not DS1 so most of your damage will most likely still come from hitting guys with a sword.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Just stay in front of the head and don't lock on. The head takes the most damage anyway.
This lesson will serve you well in another dragon fight.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

feelix posted:

games are for normal people who don't understand anything you wrote

*posts in the DS3 thread*
Vigor? Endurance? What are these words lol I don't understand anything.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

codo27 posted:

I dont think I realized Anor Londo was there until I actually got there my first time through, and I'm someone who plays with this weird claw stance using the side of my index finger to run so I can pan the camera all cinematic like with my thumb. You can see it so plainly several times going through Irithyll

I don't understand the problem, just move the mouse normally :smuggo:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

Agility (you seriously have to waste 20 levels to get your iframes back)

That's fine though because you get those levels within 3 hours of playing. Granted, it would suck if you played it blind and didn't understand how the stat works, but so does levelling RES in DS1.

IronicDongz posted:

also the weird offputting way your character handles and some really boring+usually ugly level design. blighttown is well designed and has cool lore, farron keep at least has the huge goat monsters and darkwraiths and ends with a good boss, the gutter/black gulch is such a nothing pair of areas in comparison

Dunno why you're comparing specific "types" of level instead of just the worst/best of each. Because the picture is very different if you compare Lost Izalith to the Iron Keep.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

I post a silly picture and a debate erupts. I was just trying to get a modest chuckle, drat.

Let me try!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I tried to do some jolly co-op against Midir after I beat him, and holy gently caress it's annoying to have to keep trying to catch him when he's focused on a host running like a headless chicken.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I was watching a video on Top 10 Weapons in DS3, and I'm honestly sort of shocked by some of the moves shown off, because some of them are super-fast (I suppose those are the Weapons Arts). I know people say you have to be aggressive to succeed in Soulsborne, but I always thought that was geared more towards Bloodborne, where you're more agile, and you don't have to worry about gear weight.

Eh, you don't have to be overly aggressive. It's still a Souls game, bosses tend to leave enough opening after they attack to just get one or two R1s in.
Being aggressive with fast weapons looks cool if it works but you really gotta know a boss's patterns to get that going. It does feel great though to get some cheeky hits in during an enemy animation.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

Seriously don't be afraid to summon extra players to help you with a boss. Dark Souls street cred is a dumb prize, and those players need the sunlight medals.

You don't do it for the cred (no one but you cares about your game, after all), you do it because it's more fun.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

It's just that at the moment, I feel like I want to go for build with heavy armor, high poise, and a greatshield, which I guess would mean prioritizing STR and VIT. Vitality seems critical, because it seems essential that you need to stay under the 70% equip level, or you end up with the fat roll (if you haven't gotten Havel's Ring yet).

I'm also wondering if I should put some points into the INT, FTH, or LCK. Since I'm in the Warriors of Sunlight covenant, Faith seems like a good investment to use Lightning Spear (something I meant to do in DS1). Looking at the wiki, it sounds like you need to buy miracles to complete Irina's quest.

Something I should note is that I've not done any more upgrade to my weapon, since it sounds like weapon upgrades factor into matchmaking. I'm still in the swamp area, and the only weapon I have at +2 is the Halberd. I managed to find some Twinkling Titanite, which will let me upgrade the Ithryll Sword, but from what I read, Twinkling Twilight upgrades count as double.

Oh okay I see where you made a fatal error. Armor doesn't matter and poise doesn't exist.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
You get like a 30 minute timeout where no one can invade you if you get killed by an invader IIRC.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

skasion posted:

Dodging the spin attack is likely to fail. Better to just run far away and then run back in to get a few hits as she pauses after spinning out.

Dancer is one of the few bosses I don’t recommend summoning for. You can make it work of course, but unlike a lot of bosses, she can easily hit multiple players at once with her sweeping attacks, and the extra health means that you have to hold out for longer against her dangerous second phase. Lag can also cause some fairly goofy things to happen against her, case in point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9EYThhbRww

Hell no, dodge the spin attack! Miyazaki gave us the fastest, most spammable roll in a Souls game, and IIRC only Pontiff and Dancer actually require you to dodge more than twice in a row. Play the rhythm game, it's fun.
Honorable mention: NK seems to have perfect timing to catch panic rolls.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

codo27 posted:

You mean the cat on the bridge straight out of Attack of the Clones?

Naw, the frost dude on the bottom of the tower when you go to Road of Sacrifices.
I definitely feel like the windows to attack or heal are shorter for him than for any other enemy type in the game.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

A little tip, but I'll often leave a sign behind his throne because it's a hassle to get to if you drop down to the one down from it and generally awkwardly placed

You can just talk to him without jumping down though :confused:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Moola posted:

loving WHAT?!

Can't find a good video to properly show it but you can see the TALK prompt before you drop down here for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_1o553FDpQ&t=285s

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

So I'm trying out this game again but with a kb+mouse my camera drifts during combat for a cinematic view of fights which then makes it super lovely to have any control over the fight. Is there anyway to stop this without lock on?

How much does it drift? I don't think I ever found a solution for a very slight drift when dashing but that could easily be counteracted.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Why should I infuse a weapon with heavy, sharp, or quality gems? Because, similarly, when comparing the non-infused numbers to the numbers after infusion they often don’t change much. For instance (these numbers are just like hypotheticals) I want to make my astora greatsword a sharp one:

Before infusion it’s 189 base damage + 90 AR (and I assume this is based on my personal strength level and dexterity level, and the weapon’s own ratings for those two attributes being D/C respectively)

After infusion for sharp the weapons ratings for strength/dexterity become E/A, respectively. So, an upgrade from the infusion. But the actual damage numbers change like: 178 + 85.

The overall damage after infusing a greatsword that can reach A rank for strength with a heavy gen, or A rank for dexterity with sharp, or splitting it with a quality Infusion.. it just never really calculates out to seem worth it at all. Pardon my crappy hypothetical example (phone posting) but basically, am I totally missing something? Or is infusion just not really worth it.

Get more dexterity.
No, even more than you're thinking right now.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 1, 2021

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I wouldn't call it stupid strong, but my baseline is always the DS1 magic builds.
Pyromancy is nice to throw poo poo from range to single out enemies or when the boss has a bit of downtime between animations, but most of the time you'll do more damage with a dex build.
That's not to say it's bad, it just doesn't break the game wide open. Remember to always have dark and fire sorceries equipped and you'll be golden.
And yeah of course it's nice to demolish some very annoying enemies who happen to be weak to fire, like Pus of Men or dogs or those balls of leeches in the swamps.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Char posted:

Ok, so, after finishing the base game, I wanted to spice things up in the DLC.
I wasted a Mage respec because Orbeck left my game, so I respecced again into Pyromancy.

How the hell am I supposed to play this? I can't get past the first pack of wolves in the Painted World, sometimes I get locked down by the Farron Followers.
The action economy is too lopsided, casts are slow and it's too easy to miss - one of my cast kills MAYBE one wolf. I'm better off with the chaos sword I infused, but then what's the point? The few times I went past the initial opening, I needed 3 unblocked casts to stop one of the big knights. Guess it's a git gud issue but dunno why shouldn't I simply go back to a weapon build.

Pyromancers hit everything with fire swords and then lob a fireball if there's an opening. That's just how DS3 is.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sanctum posted:

The fluid combos with weird timing and the ability to cancel combos reminds me of Fume Knight. Except I have died to this boss more times than I have ever died to fume knight that's really not a good thing. I don't think dancer is as hard as fume knight, is it? I'm just poo poo

I started this playthrough 4 years ago jesus

Dancer is one of the few bosses who really synergizes well with how much you can spam rolls, it's fun.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I found Aldrich, and I was intimidated at first because I'd heard a lot of people talking about how hard he was, but I managed to beat him on the first try by just punching the poo poo out of his grub rear end. Then the dancer handed me my rear end repeatedly until I finally managed to punch her taint into submission too. Took 2 tries to beat Oceiros, then I strolled all cocky n poo poo into Champion Gundyr who is now ruthlessly and repeatedly owning me lol

Didn't know the tutorial boss had this in him. That loving kick gets me literally every time

IIRC that kick is literally impossible to dodge on reaction, you just have to sit around at a safe distance and find out whether he follows his combo up with it or not.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

So out of curiosity, what’s the “best” way to run a pyromancer in this game? I’m guessing something like a raw straight sword you eventually convert to a dark one for the scaling, and just beeline to Great Chaos Fire Orb/Chaos Vestiges? I’ve been just hacking away with a raw hand axe and was feeling kinda underwhelmed until Chaos Bed Vestiges tore the doggo guarding Ithryil to shreds.

Yeah I just threw fire/dark balls from range and otherwise used one fire and one dark sword. You're still mostly a melee guy.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

fun hater posted:

lmfao that's what that's supposed to be??? i just thought i was fighting a zelda boss suddenly

Yeah I just thought it was like random playstyles of the different dudes who linked the fire previously, no different from NPC phantoms.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

I think the complaints about the enemies being from Bloodborne while you’re still in Dark Souls 1 have largely been overblown cause they might be faster and more aggressive but they’re still the same dumb old Souls enemies wrt openings and general vulnerability to mashing R1 but yeah, I might be a big old baby (feel like I’ve posted that more than once in this thread now) but Soul of Cinder is making me miss my BB sidesteps like nothing else has. Specifically phase 1 that’s just a amalgamation of NPC/PC builds where sometimes even one axe swing can leave me open so I guess I’m throwing black balls, phase 2 actually feels like the hard part’s done even if I still wiped twice.

I almost never felt like I was incredibly overmatched in speed because you have instant panic rolls. The thing that still fucks me up are the Outrider Knights. I still don't know when it's safe to estus in those fights.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

GodFish posted:

I've been doing a dex build and I've been having a lot of trouble compared to my str run against anything a bit heavy like say, a black knight. What's the strategy when you can't flinch enemies out of any of their attacks?

Roll out of the attack and then attack during their animation?
Incidentally, that is also the optimal tactic with heavy bonk weapons.
Or spells.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
But it's so simple. All we have to do is divine from what we know of Dark Souls: What will the next one look like?
There will be no normal movement, all movement is done by rolling which costs 0 stamina

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Toast King posted:

I played a ton of this at launch, but got busy with life right after getting to the Grand Archives and dropped off playing. I don't think I realised that I was pretty close to the end. Eventually it'd been long enough that I'd forgotten everything I was doing and decided to shelve it for a while.

Elden Ring coming out soon gave me the motivation to come back and man I forgot how much I love the combat and visuals of this game. I've forgotten all the item locations and plenty of small details so it's a small taste of playing for the first time again.

I know for sure there's a couple optional areas I never got to, plus I've picked up the DLC so I'm excited to get to that eventually. Time to power ahead and use the biggest and most ridiculous weapons I can find.

lol exact same thing happened to me, interest kind of petered out cause I was playing other games, and it turns out I stopped like one doorway before the three NPC phantoms in Grand Archives :v:
I recommend the Vordt Hammer, it bonks good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Wait, people use STR weapons but then don't 2H them at all times?