Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The guy guarding the door to the road of sacrifice was a motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Weeping Wound posted:

Dark Souls 2 is the best of the lot because you literally are just someone who shows up out of nowhere to take care of some personal business. The whole thing with Aldia and all the crowns or whatever is just sort of heaped on as you go about trying to fix your own problem. It's still the only one without any sort of GREAT PROPHECY or BUT THOU MUST crap; you're there because you want to be there and you want to be there because you want your dang memories back!

You get a lot of "chosen one" talk from the emerald herald.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Time_pants posted:

I just kind of get the impression that's how they talk. You'd probably get the same sort of fatalistic monologue if you asked them how to make a sandwich or change a tire.

She probably asks every single person who walks past if they are the true monarch.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I love co-op, it's one of my favorite parts of the game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I hate to seem like I'm disparaging the way anybody else plays the game, I totally love killing a boss solo too.

I get scared, is the honest truth.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I never coop on not bosses. I really should try it sometimes.

It can be cool. I just ran through the entire Cathedral of the deep area with a person, and even got the final boss. DS3 makes it a lot harder to be a summoned phantom, I think. Or maybe I'm just used to the two different soapstones of DS2. The little soapstone was super convenient.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I don't know what that does so it's not really communicated and probably didn't work out that well

An items use was not clearly communicated in a dark souls game. You know what a regular soapstone does, right?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The loving monster on the bridge to Irithyll is such bullshit. I gave up and cheesed it by running out and whacking it when it faded away. I did put 15 points into luck, so maybe I don't have much room to complain.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Node posted:

Ok, thanks. Any idea if that screws up an ending? Spoiler free, pretty please.

I mean, I don't think she has a questline, but if she does, I don't think you broke it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

The issue in DS3 is a combination of the lengthy action queue and no appropriate warning aesthetic (some kind of glow effect or whatever) for when hyper armor frames are active. More broadly, the DS series has been garbage at being transparent with its Poise/hyper armor mechanics across all three games. It's not like the game's verisimilitude goes out the window if you put a small blue bar underneath an enemy's health bar to show you their current Poise.

The action queue really bugs me. I'm accustomed to mashing the button until the thing I want happens, and then mashing the next button. If I do that here though, I end up rolling twice, or doing some weird attack, or something, and then I take an unnecessary hit. It's taking some getting used to.

Genocyber posted:

Really? I felt DS2 was far and away the most coherent of the series, in that it actually answered a lot of the questions it brought up or at least let players figure out the answers and be reasonably sure (e.g. hollow being the natural state of man, most of the lore stuff relating directly to Vendrick and Aldia's shenanigans or ultimately being there just to show how old the drat world is and how many cycles its gone through, and ultimately ending with saying that you more-or-less need to find your own answer which is something that is a core motif of the series).

Ya imo ds2 is the most straightforward of them all.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 2, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rough Lobster posted:

"Hey thanks for killing all their guys and stealing their power, now bend over and let me reap your taint and take that power for myself."

Also I personally took the DS2's protagonist's success at beating the curse as what initially caused the creation of the unkindled. Poor Aldia ends up not making it, though, apparently.

I don't really consider DS2 to have beaten the curse. The crowns make you immune to hollowing, yeah, but the curse is more than that. It's the whole world decaying into darkness. It's like living in Shangri-la, yeah you live for lke 500 years or something and it's really nice there, but you can never leave, and the rest of the world leaves you behind.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Not enough demons in 2.

I keep forgetting they're an endangered species since bed of chaos ate it. I never recognize the piles of dead demons in the lake at first.

It kind of makes me feel bad for them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Gutters is kind of okay as an esoteric location, but it fails to be nearly as interesting as Blighttown because there's no connection between it and anything else in the game.

The gutter is where they throw all the trash and unwanted things and people. Which is also what Majula is, a place for unwanted exiles. And the lost bastille, a prison for unwanted undead. And so on. It absolutely fits with the rest of the game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

New Concept Hole posted:

Dark Souls 2 is a dumpster.

metaphorically

Exactly.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah I basically absorbed none of ds2's lore just strolling through

Isn't one of the most avowed parts of souls games that the lore is buried in obscure item descriptions?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
^^A lot of DS3 bonfires seem really weird. Also some shortcuts are... useless? I found one that goes from the bonfire in front of the abyss watcher boss to somewhere in the crucifixion woods. I didn't really look around outside the door, but...

The worst part about DS2 is all the ridiculously huge swaths of flat boring texture. Like the primal bonfire rooms, ugh. Or the outsides of Drangleic castle. It feels like I'm in minecraft sometimes.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo this game got apocalyptic as hell. The dead tree people at the start were pretty unnerving, but these loving flying things??? And that sun! Jesus christ.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

FauxGateau posted:

I would go crucifix because even though it's split damage you can buff it with human pine resin or dark blade.

Human pine resin sounds so hosed up.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've never played bloodborne, but since it has a gun, it sounds like what a sci do souls game would be similar to. I can't imagine a sci fi setting without guns.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

WaltherFeng posted:

Sci-Fi is dumb because that's the first thing people suggest when they think there's nothing left to explore

(See Call of Duty)

It is when you think about stuff in genre only.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Iretep posted:

Youre actually supposed to avoid the fatsos at the stairs for the most part.

I love running past stuff. I just booked it past the three NPC enemies near the end of the Grand Archives, and was pretty happy to find the elevator right behind them.

The real dark souls is getting to the point where you can go through the game killing as few enemies as possible.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm a little disappointed that the freaky flying tree root angel things are called "pilgrim butterflies". Still creepy as gently caress.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Reading too much into everything maybe that's because the Deep is seeping into them now.

The locust says the incests Irina sees aren't of the abyss, and sound like the gnaw incests from the Deep. So the Deep might be a distinct and much worse abyss, the relinking of the fire even breaking the dark at this point.

Really? I loved it. It made me realize what they were. The pilgrims are so cool when you get their full story.

The story is cool, it's just the butterfly part was a let down.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I tried Artorias' greatshield in DS1 and it's absolutely insane how easy it makes the game. I shield tanked both artorias and gwyn no sweat.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I went from warrior starting shield to eagle knight shield, to crest shield to dragon crest shield. It was a nice orderly way to progress. I'm still using the claymore from the first dragon gauntlet, though.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Holy loving poo poo archdragon peak! :tviv:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ugh my fuckin controller is going crazy on me. For seemingly no reason, R1 stops responding when I want to swing my sword. Every other button works fine. I go into the menu, and can use R1 fine there. Then I leave the menu, and my character does an R1 attack. Also when I exit dialogue with NPCs, which got the poor firekeeper killed. And... when I change to my pyromancy on the right hand, it immediately casts the R1 spell. I'm going insane :pwn: The only thing that fixes it is rebooting the game.

Dark souls is one of those games where you're so on edge with every single movement in a fight that when your controller does something you don't want it to, it's like oh god kill me.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

I had this happen too, but it was after doing a lot of alt-tabbing. Closed the game and re-opened it and haven't had the problem since. :iiam:

Oh yeah, it definitely seems to happen when I alt tab. That sucks. Glad to know it might not be my controller dying on me.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vil posted:

Assuming you haven't rebound your KB/M controls, the game probably thinks you've got left-click held down. Especially if after alt-tabbing, you left-clicked to get back into the game.

Like with other times computers think things get stuck after you alt-tab (modifier keys are common culprits), pushing the offending button again to make the computer register it happening - and more to the point register it no longer happening when you've released it - might solve things. In this case that would be clicking the mouse. And for shits and giggles mash on your modifier keys too.

Or if you've rebound controls, push whatever KB/M button you've got R1/RB bound to.

Barring all that, rebooting the game will fix it.

Thanks, that makes sense.

This dragon place is crazy and the snake men are bullshit. :rant:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Tomb has one of the most awesome views in the game, when you go around that bend where the paladin invades you. You've been running around in pitch black darkness scared for your life, and then the light appears, broadens, and widens out into a vast panorama of giant dead trees. On that note, I love ash lake. The music is so good. It was really cool to see a burnt up version in DS3. Though the giant crossbow was a little weird. I guess it follows the motif of the hydra, it even lobs multiple projectiles at you.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Should I ring the bell.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Archdragon peak is a pretty good example of what dark souls is all about. You murder everyone and everything and then you kill a dude and his friend dragon. For really no reason other than they attacked you? And you rang a bell. The bell was weird. All I got out of killing that dragon lightning god guy was a set of armor and a titanite slab. Oh my god was he a pain in the rear end.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You don't notice anything...interesting? About the armor description?

And there was a reason for it.

Tying up loose ends. :getin:

Yeah ornstein showed up at this place for some reason and perhaps got killed by the nameless king. Maybe ornstein went there to have a reckoning with his former dragonslaying compatriot.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Or he decided to go Full Hawkwood

Yeah that too, since his armor is just sitting on the ground, discarded. I wonder where he would have gone after that.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

This actually really bothered me because there were a number of falls in the DLC that look survivable and aren't, coupled with all these new falls that don't look survivable but are, and falls that you can't easily tell are survivable like the root to the second angel's body; that is, in fact, a valid jump, but you'd be forgiven for assuming it's just a piece of root geometry you'd slide right off of if you didn't know that area of the level is accessible from another spot.

If you want to get technical the falls are explained because they're all big piles of ash that presumably cushions your fall, and they're marked in the no-fall-damage zone, but a number of them are drat near blind drops and it's telling they had to put all those developer messages in there to make it clearer. Also there's no possible way anything could be (or is) cushioning the drop to the Demon Prince or Midir, those are just falls that are there because they're cool so fall damage magically doesn't apply. Especially funny because the ladder that leads to Midir's area is a deadly drop if you fall down the hole but then ten seconds later you fall down a much deeper hole and are completely unscathed.

Did you ever try prism stones on them? I've never actually used one to test a drop, but they're supposed to make some noise if the fall is lethal.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Phantoms are a hot commodity.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dude the kiln of the first flame, this is like freakin end of evangelion.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

When has anything in Dark Souls ever died and not given you souls? Even if you kill Oscar in the opening of the first game you get souls.

Aldia doesn't give souls when he dies.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The true ending is when you play it for the last time.

The Vilhelm guy in ariandel is practically breaking the fourth wall, because the only reason I'm pushing onward really is just curiosity. And it results in a lot of wanton death and destruction.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lakbay posted:

You jest but it is known that in the metanarrative people who give up playing the game before finishing it are the hollows you fight and the repeating cycles are people who constantly replay the game

I was actually serious about that. I think dark souls is a really great work because it's a game that leaves me with questions that go outside of it. Or it brings them up, in a way that's not hamfisted. Like the most basic one, I think, "why am I killing all these things, what is the actual point?" You as a player don't even really know, and your character pretty much is you in games like Dark Souls. Sif was mentioned earlier, even without the heartbreaking alternate cinematic, fighting and killing Sif feels wrong to me.

This is a problem I have with the games, though, is that you really don't have any options but to kill everything you see, because they try to kill you. Prisclla in the painted world says that all the creatures there are peaceful... then why the hell did they all try to murder me? It's just a little hard for me to accept that part of the game. I think Nier: Automata did something interesting with this problem. You could do something sort of off the rails, like kill a character, or run away from a fight, or just do nothing, but it results in a game over. It gives you a game over, but collecting all the game over endings is kind of a game too. So the player has a bit of an incentive to want to do things against the plot, but it still pushes you back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Because you broke into their prison, heavily armed and intent on murder? Also Priscilla might not be the best judge of what peaceful and kind means, given that she seems to have some sort of mystical inborn god-killing magic

I didn't break in though. You walk up to the painting, hit the action button which says "Examine", reach out and touch the painting, as if you feel some kind of draw towards it, and then it sucks you in.

The intent to murder is interesting, because it gets meta. I as the player do want to kill everything there, because they give me souls so I can level up, they drop cool items that I can use or collect, a lot of reasons. But let's say Priscilla was the first thing you run into. Would you still run in there and loot and pillage everything and everyone? You still have to run through the level to get to the exit, so they will attack you and you will defend yourself. I dunno, it's interesting.

I think you have a point about Priscilla.