Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The great M
Sep 10, 2010

The prince.

And then you.
Small lore detail I haven't seen anyone mention: the cave you fight Midir in is the cave the Dark Soul was found. Look at the DS1 intro, then the drop into the cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The loving monster on the bridge to Irithyll is such bullshit. I gave up and cheesed it by running out and whacking it when it faded away. I did put 15 points into luck, so maybe I don't have much room to complain.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Desert Sorceres cosplay is back?!

:fap:

Yep, and if you wear the chest piece with the Sunless leggings, it becomes a corset.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Fly Molo posted:

Yep, and if you wear the chest piece with the Sunless leggings, it becomes a corset.

man whaaaaaat

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Rubellavator posted:

Bearer seek seek lest
When I put my PS3 away, the last thing I did was listen to that one more time and two-hand great clubbed her off the cliff. Bearer seek seek a loving way back up here and say that again.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nuebot posted:

It is you!

I can't believe someone complained about something in a game, they must be darksydephil

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Amppelix posted:

I can't believe someone complained about something in a game, they must be darksydephil

Mostly just the parts complaining about getting hit by things that didn't hit and the game being inconsistent. :shrug:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So apparently there's an alternate cutscene if finish the second DLC before starting the first. If you do, Gael isn't there. The painting is just lying on the ground. I feel like From went through the effort of putting that in just to make all the time travel theories fall apart :regd09:

I have no clue what's going on anymore.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
What happens if you kill Patches and Gael outside of the DLC then start it?

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Nuebot posted:

What happens if you kill Patches and Gael outside of the DLC then start it?

Lapp still shows up. Gael I think either has infinite HP or respawns.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
poo poo. I killed the handmaiden in the shrine. This is the first time I've (accidentally) killed an NPC in a Souls game.

So she respawned and jacked her prices up, and now I have sin according to the statue of Velka. Does having sin make me prone to invasions from certain covenants? And did I gently caress myself out of a certain ending by killing her?

I'm asking here instead of Googling because its way too easy to read a spoiler you weren't looking for.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
theres no blue cop invaders in ds3. blue cops only appear when you invade someone to protect the host.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Iretep posted:

theres no blue cop invaders in ds3. blue cops only appear when you invade someone to protect the host.

Ok, thanks. Any idea if that screws up an ending? Spoiler free, pretty please.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Internet Kraken posted:

So apparently there's an alternate cutscene if finish the second DLC before starting the first. If you do, Gael isn't there. The painting is just lying on the ground. I feel like From went through the effort of putting that in just to make all the time travel theories fall apart :regd09:

I have no clue what's going on anymore.

That's hilarious but doesn't make time travel impossible

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Man, I missed all the Lapp & patches stuff somehow. Also didn't knock the dragon off the bridge, oops

The time to go from touching the swamp to end boss was less than dealing with the angels. The angels + giant summoner were vastly harder than everything else. Oh, and the spear boss died in 3 hits from a fume sword. gg?

also gael was 6 tries. fume sword owns vs everyone except freide who was just too fast

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 2, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That's hilarious but doesn't make time travel impossible

It doesn't help the paradox itself but it's a nice handwave.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Node posted:

im pretty sure sin does nothing in this.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Node posted:

I mean, I don't think she has a questline, but if she does, I don't think you broke it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sin doesn't actually do anything in DS3, it's just a way to let you know you've pissed off an NPC somewhere and can ask forgiveness to reset them (provided you didn't kill them). If you did kill them, you can still ask forgiveness but nothing will happen iirc.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Also it makes you not skip buying AoA

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Sin doesn't actually do anything in DS3, it's just a way to let you know you've pissed off an NPC somewhere and can ask forgiveness to reset them (provided you didn't kill them). If you did kill them, you can still ask forgiveness but nothing will happen iirc.

In the Handmaid's case I think it resets her prices?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Fly Molo posted:

I finally made it to the ringed city and found what I think are all the pieces. Gloves, chest, and legs, but no head so far. Shrieking angel death lasers are pretty annoying, but whatever. My souls are surrounded by a clutch of poison shrooms, 700k of them, but I get nuked from orbit when I try to get them. At this point in the game I don't care about leveling up anymore, so whatever.

I noticed that there is a huge building with what appears to be a windmill, which some desert sorceress pieces are around. Parts of the Earthen Peak from DS 2? It must be! It's a nice touch.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Hat is past the pyromancer

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can you get the pale shade gear while being a hollow?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I noticed that there is a huge building with what appears to be a windmill, which some desert sorceress pieces are around. Parts of the Earthen Peak from DS 2? It must be! It's a nice touch.

Yup, check out the name of the bonfire

E: I like how Earthen Peak was the place they decided to take from DS2, and given the whole elevator to a volcano thing, it makes even more sense where they put it.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 2, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Augus posted:

My main problem with DS3 really is just that the way the game treats enemy poise/stamina is really inconsistent and it seems to quietly change the rules behind the scenes at certain points. And unlike Bloodborne this game doesn't have a mechanic where when you get hit by a randomly flailing enemy you can heal by hitting them back.

The issue in DS3 is a combination of the lengthy action queue and no appropriate warning aesthetic (some kind of glow effect or whatever) for when hyper armor frames are active. More broadly, the DS series has been garbage at being transparent with its Poise/hyper armor mechanics across all three games. It's not like the game's verisimilitude goes out the window if you put a small blue bar underneath an enemy's health bar to show you their current Poise.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
This DLC is very cleavage heavy (seriously almost all female invaders have had either the Desert Sorceress chest or Antiquated Plain Set chest)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The demon prince is so fun

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I finally made it to the ringed city and found what I think are all the pieces. Gloves, chest, and legs, but no head so far. Shrieking angel death lasers are pretty annoying, but whatever. My souls are surrounded by a clutch of poison shrooms, 700k of them, but I get nuked from orbit when I try to get them. At this point in the game I don't care about leveling up anymore, so whatever.

I should pay attention to bonfire names :downs:

If you use the curl up or lay down emotes you can dodge every arrow shot at you by the ruin knights haha

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The demon prince is so fun

I'm torn because it's killing the last demon in existence. It feels so final :/

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
for how bullshit midir is, the boss run should be a lot shorter

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
If you have sin and invade someone, and the host summons a bluebro to help, and the bluebro kills you, they get a Proof of Concord Well Kept. I'm not sure anyone has ever gotten one.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, so I think I'm getting close to the end of the DLC, and the phrase that comes to mind most frequently is "leave me alone"- this entire freaking zone seems dead-set against letting me stand in place, take in the atmosphere, and freaking explore at my own pace.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Having a good time finding stuff out on my own, like how this entire DLC is in the future. I was stumbled upon the iron dragonslayer armor miniboss, one-shotted it to my surprise, and read the awesome armor description.

he Armour, defeated by the Champion of Ash in Lothric, was left ages to rust, until it slipped into an abyssal swamp, where it was possessed once again by the memory of the hunt.

It looks pretty swish, and paired with the Harald curved sword it's real swish. I wonder if this harald curved sword is worth the upgrade mats.

And the black witch set. Man why couldn't the gender change coffin have fallen into TRC?

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 2, 2017

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Augus posted:

man it really feels like this game was not at all designed for doing playthroughs with a lot of weapons and builds. Tried using spears, got destroyed by everything. Tried leveling faith, I hit like a wet fart with everything including my single lightning-throwing spell. My attempts at experimental runs usually end up getting stone-walled at Cathedral of the Deep. It just feels like a lot of enemies were designed entirely around the straight sword.

I've run four characters through at least 4 NG+ cycles each with different builds each time, none of which primarily used a straight sword (my Pyro at one point used a Carthus Flame Arc buffed Gotthard's as a weapon for hard enemies and a Lothric Knight Sword as a parry weapon). Pretty much everything has strengths and weaknesses, at certain points casting is much easier, at others melee, certain enemies are much more susceptible to certain weapons, etc. Straight swords (and heavy curved swords like the Follower's Saber and Carthus Curved Sword) are certainly the most broadly applicable weapons but they probably should be? There's a reason single handed swords of one variety or another were ubiquitous throughout history.

Looking at the times I've struggled in DS3, I think that the game (due to it's faster nature and awareness of player tendencies) requires more attention at all times than either DS1 or DS2 did. However, most folks playing DS3 have played the other games and I suspect are taking a bit more of a laissez-faire or even overconfident approach to the game. DS3 will punish that hard (I've beaten AoA like 8 or 9 times at this point and I still was getting punked by wolves the other day because I was listening to a podcast and not really paying attention) and I think that's a source of some of the frustration with the game.

Faster weapons with good reach (see: straight swords/heavy curved swords) ameliorate a lot of this because they can guarantee a first strike and subsequent stunlock against a lot of enemies without locking the player into a lengthy animation before they can roll out. This is also probably part of why DS1 Poise is so missed, since that allowed a similar, less focused and more forgiving approach to be taken with slower weapons (see: DS3 rats beating a greataxe user to the punch and interrupting them to death). DS3 requires you to take the time to adjust your playstyle but if you do then you can have a lot of fun with a lot of variety.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I'm not sure how to deal against the ringed knight paired greatswords' pain train move... I mean, in context of PVP. Another player using it.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I ended up summoning help for the Spear fight. I generally try to solo everything, and indeed have soloed everything else with the exception of NK, but running in to a 1 vs 3 PVP ganksquad just isn't a good time to me. Chasing down one dude who is roll spamming while his two helpers heal him and gank me just wasn't a good time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

il serpente cosmico posted:

I ended up summoning help for the Spear fight. I generally try to solo everything, and indeed have soloed everything else with the exception of NK, but running in to a 1 vs 3 PVP ganksquad just isn't a good time to me. Chasing down one dude who is roll spamming while his two helpers heal him and gank me just wasn't a good time.

Don't underestimate the advantage the host gets by being able to estus.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The katana/pyromancer run I started has now been going a lot more smoothly, and a lot of my issues with Souls 3's combat aren't bothering me so much anymore. I think it's just because the larger enemies behave very differently from in the other two games, it takes a lot of getting used to after spending a ton of time away from the game. At some point it clicked in my head and I was able to get through the Cathedral of the Deep without getting stuck at all on the Cathedral Knights and I could appreciate that area's amazing level design without getting frustrated. I wish every Souls level had one bonfire connecting to just about every shortcut in the stage.

There's still some problems with super armor though. The Abyss Watchers would sometimes escape from my combos which were otherwise staggering them. Usually to roll away, which is fine, player characters can even try and do that. However, sometimes they would immediately charge at me with super armor and hit me mid-attack, and that DEFINITELY happened too fast to react to. It was a sucker punch that didn't do too much damage by its not fun getting hit by a few of those in a row.

Also in one failed attempt the red-eyed one ignored the other Abyss Watchers and started running at the fog gate, trying to hit some enemies thet had wandered over there. Which was pretty funny.

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 2, 2017

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Had the best Spears invasion. I spawn in as the main Spear and as I'm fading in, I can see the host and three phantoms around me in a perfect circle. I'm getting ready for a beat down when the host gets caught in my spawn spears, and two swipes of my giant hammer takes him out immediately.

Respect the spawn spears, idiots, and let M'Lady sleep!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Jesus the greatswords' pain train can drop me from practically full in a single chain...