Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
How early in the game do you get the white soapstone/ability to co-op? Vague answer preferred.

net cafe scandal posted:

I finally have some money. GamesPLanet is the cheapest way to get this on PC right. And itll get me a steam key to preload. Right/

I just bought it from Gamesplanet 30 minutes ago. Got my key instantly. It's a Steam key, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Note, if you have a fast internet connection but a mediocre CPU and no SSD, it might be faster for you to just delete the pre-load and download the full, unencrpyted, game from scratch.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Didn't realize the discount for already owning Souls games on Steam applied to pre-orders only, just went to check out and the game was $5 more. I'm a lazy idiot.

Still 25% off at Gamesplanet.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Farron Keep is a real lovely zone

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Phoix posted:

Yeah, that guys the only way forward unless you wanna fight something optional and about 50x harder.

What optional thing are you referring to?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Does the first giant in the Cathedral drop anything special? I died before I could loot it.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Not a huge fan of the areas in this game so far. High Wall and Settlement were good and fun but Road of Sacrifices/Farron Keep and Catacombs are both terrible. Tedious and ugly. The area after the Catacombs is nicer to look at but the enemies are a real pain to fight.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Am I supposed to just run past the giant in the church? It feels like there should be a better way to get past him

On the upper level? You can hit him in the hands when he tries to attack you, also, just make sure you survive all the way down there for his loot. I didn't, so no idea what he drops.

Or you can just run past him and fight him later.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I wish the game told you what the common level/upgrade range for any given zone was. I want to know if I'm overleveled or not.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

ufarn posted:

Here's a stupid question: do weapon stats account for your attributes? I want to infuse my Uchigatana +2 with fire, but I don't know whether it accounts for my Dex.

If it does, then it looks like I should just upgrade it ASAP and then think about a Sharp infusion whenever.

Also, what's up with the cage guy? I killed the dude with a cage on his back, but I'm supposed to step into the cage or something?

Fire infused weapons lose all stat scaling.

The cage guy gives you (earlier) access to a covenant

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The Knight Slayer ring is great if you want to be super aggressive when invading people. Tons of people don't realize you can just break their guard in a couple hits and then get a free critical hit. Especially fun when a mage tries to block your Zweihander with his tiny shield and you guard break him in two hits.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Do you really have to join the red covenant to respec? And is it true that you can only do it 5 times per character?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Trying to get summons for sunbro covenant, I've only been summoned once for this tree boss. The waiting is terrible.

What's your character and weapon level at? I've never had to wait more than 10 seconds to be summoned.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

To be summoned as a blue covenant person, do I myself have to be kindled as well? I know you must be kindled to be invaded/get help in the first place but I don't know about being summoned. Sorry I am poo poo at this game I just don't know.

Nope. Actually getting summoned for one of the automatic covenants is completely down to luck, however. I've had the Blue Sentinel covenant on for 6+ hours and haven't been summoned once.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

40 and +4 which I guess might be why. Maybe I've gone past the level of usefulness to this area?

Yeah, you're way overlevelled for Undead Settlement. Try the Catacombs and you shouldn't have any problems.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Why is poise such a usless stat in this game? Even with 36 poise I get staggered in one hit from the High Wall spearmen. Not even the knights, just the regular soldiers. Heavy armor in general seems not at all worth it.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

dark souls 3 probably has the best world design in the series. i've been to every area and all of them were cool aesthetically and mechanically.

Farron Keep

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Why is the broadsword the best weapon in the game? And why are greatswords kinda terrible? Mediocre damage and the poise damage doesn't really matter when every enemy has a combo breaker. They're okay for PvP I guess.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

But also ask yourself, why did you hollow? You are not undead. You are unkindled. Unkindled don't hollow when they die, they have no humanity to lose.

You're still undead, just not with the same curse as DS1.

I'm pretty sure atleast.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Does that count as undead? I thought undead was a specific curse, not "dies and comes back"

I assumed unkindled were a different thing altogether.

I mean, you crawled out of your grave, didn't you? You also drink Estus, an Undead favourite!

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Azazell0 posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown on what exactly is weapon scaling? All the guides talk about infusions and how they effect scaling but I'm confused about the scaling itself.

Scaling refers to how much extra damage you get from certain stats. Most weapons scale off of strength and dexterity while others also use intelligence, faith etc. Infusions change which stats affect a weapon's damage and how much.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

il serpente cosmico posted:

Since poise doesn't seem to help very much, is there much point in using heavy armors? High defense stats have always seemed underwhelming in this series.

Armor is useless compared to DS1 and 2. Poise is nonexistant even if you specifically build for it, and getting absorption over 30% without rings is pretty much impossible.

Just wear whatever looks nice and keeps you under 70%. 30% if you can.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
It's really weird how many good things from DS2 are missing in this game. Even the really small things like listing your poise damage.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
They should make it so invaders get an estus charge if they kill a phantom.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Gortarius posted:

questions about rings:

Is there a Ring of the Living (one that makes you look normal as a phantom)

Yes, you buy it from Yuria

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Coolwhoami posted:

I'm fairly confident this is currently the case. One of the few times I managed to kill all phantoms and the host involved taking advantage of estus charges I didn't have until after I killed a phantom, so.

Nope! Killed 4 phantoms in one invasion earlier, didn't get a single estus charge.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I vaguely remember before launch seeing a video where you can stagger certain enemies by dealing enough damage and performing a special animation ala Bloodborne that is different from the riposte animation.

Something like the character wielding the longsword two handed and just jamming it into the Crystal Lizard while it is staggered. Is my memory failing me? It seemed different from Riposte and Weapon arts.

Bad angle, but this is me doing a Bloodborne-style visceral attack on the gaping alligator thing. Seems if you do enough damage in a short time you stagger it and can then do a critical hit like normal.

Also these enemies are some real bullshit and harder than most bosses I'm pretty sure.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
They should remove Way of Blue and just make it so Blue Sentinels/Darkmoons help everyone apart from the "evil" covenants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

Is there a sweet spot char lvl for wolfbro invasions? I heard someone yesterday state that having a weapon beyond +3 or being past lvl 37 means you won't be able to invade because of the matchmaking limitations. I've kept my stuff to +3 and my lvl is 30 and I'm almost there, I just want to know if I should hold off leveling until I get those invasions done.

I would not level any more until you're ready to leave the doggy covenant behind