Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
So I just got past the catacombs and found my first chaos gem. What's a decent weapon to chaos infuse? I am trying to do a pyromancy focused build, although so far that has just meant "fire longsword and i throw fire orbs every so often". I have like 14 strength 12 dex and 20 each in faith/int

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Asehujiko posted:

Is there anything that I would want to keep ___Trusty Patches___ alive for? Also, will killing him get me siegward's armour?

I'm really irritated because he doesn't have siegward's armor in stock and siegward is not in the well at all, even though we had a jolly time murdering a demon and then toasted some sick brew and i've opened all the doors in the cathedral. There's some as yet undefined way to break the quest that isn't on the internet yet.

That's not the only quest I broke, b/c i also broke the hollowing quest by not taking the obviously evil deal and he just keeled over eventually and i'm locked out of that questline and the second vendor for this playthrough.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

RBA Starblade posted:

He respawns don't worry, but examine his cage later.

specifically examine his cage before you even challenge the area boss once (win or lose) or else you lock yourself out of joining a covenant until much later in the game.

if you care to spoil yourself it's the purple mound builders.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Can someone give me a quick rundown on what exactly is weapon scaling? All the guides talk about infusions and how they effect scaling but I'm confused about the scaling itself.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, this computer can't handle this game. so i guess i'll find out how awful deprived can be in a week or so when my new roommate sets up a tower :v:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I was having a great time parrying those Exile chumps, crushing crabs, and shanking nerd wizard Logan cosplayers, then I went down the ladder and found the new poison swamp area we always have.

Dammit From, how do you manage to keep finding my one specific critter fear? Spiders, snakes, undead, who cares, whatever. Photorealistic giant slugs? We almost went three full games without them showing up. They even have the parasite infested stalk eyes. Whyyyyyyyy

Guess I'll just have to run past them like the Fishing Village.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i don't like how you can permanently lock yourself out of the mound-makers until NG+ (hopefully?) if you join rosaria's fingers and missed your first chance.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

You guys, I'm at work and I can't stop thinking about DS3.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
http://i.imgur.com/3DvCngy.gifv

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

I dont even own the game yet, I just watch friends stream and Youtube vids. And as I lay in bed last night, I briefly thought about how hosed the Pontiff boss fight is gonna be.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

So I just got past the catacombs and found my first chaos gem. What's a decent weapon to chaos infuse? I am trying to do a pyromancy focused build, although so far that has just meant "fire longsword and i throw fire orbs every so often". I have like 14 strength 12 dex and 20 each in faith/int

The basic hand axe has pretty good chaos scaling from what I've heard.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I sacrificed myself doing coop at the Pontiff and got a sunlight medal even though I'm not in the sun covenant. If that's not a bug, that's cool.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope that got upvoted.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Azazell0 posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown on what exactly is weapon scaling? All the guides talk about infusions and how they effect scaling but I'm confused about the scaling itself.

Scaling refers to how much extra damage you get from certain stats. Most weapons scale off of strength and dexterity while others also use intelligence, faith etc. Infusions change which stats affect a weapon's damage and how much.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Azazell0 posted:

Let's say a weapon has a scaling rating of D for the strength stat. That weapon will do a bit of extra damage for every point you put into strength. If the rating is C it will do even more damage than D, B does more than C, and so on.

EDIT: I'm a slow typer.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

yea i've been there but do you have a specific location of where the ash is?

Ummm I want to say it's after bell, near the snake person gauntlet to get the body stone

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Cathedral is really rough as a magicman, those crossbow dudes with their slightly homing bolts and the little hat dudes combos are ruining my day completely. Guess I'm off to the swamp until I can level up some more, at least I got the poison resist ring!

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Azazell0 posted:

Weapon scaling is how much additional damage your weapon does, based off your stats. If you look at any weapon, you'll see a "95 +24" for its damage (whatever type the damage may be). The "+24" part comes from two factors: 1) the weapon's scaling factor (look down and you'll see that some weapons have a D through S rank for certain attributes, namely Str/Dex/Fth/Int), and 2) your stat in whatever the weapon scales off of.

So the Broadsword for example starts with 117 physical, plus a "C" in Str scaling and a "D" in Dex rating. This means that the higher your strength (and to a lesser degree your dex), the more damage the weapon will do. Upgrading the broadsword with titanite will increase the base damage and its scaling modifiers, so it might be like a 234 base with "A" in STR scaling and "C" in DEX scaling, meaning your strength contributes to more bonus damage.

Infusions drastically alter the scaling formula. If you try infusing that broadsword with raw, for example, you'll see the base damage go way up, but raw infusions remove all scaling from a weapon. Therefore, raw is key for SL1 builds where their stats are kept low. Heavy gems add STR scaling, Sharp gems add DEX, etc. Play around with upgrading a weapon and look at its numbers, that's really the key.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 14, 2016

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
So I don't know if it is lag or people hacking, but I had a guy who invaded me last night that was stuck holding his sword straight out in front of himself and was floating around. If I ever got close to him I instantly started taking damage, way faster than he could have been swinging and it was constant until I rolled away.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
...the caestus weapon art is hyper armor. Did not expect that. Just punched a man through a great axe swing, if you combo it into a combo you can just keep punching

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

CJacobs posted:

Why did pyromancy get nerfed into the ground? Like the only thing it had going for it was that it had no stat reqs and was souls-only. Now it's borderline not worth going into.

No, pyromancy was simply folded into the trifecta of building for magic and just requires a modicum of stats and upgrade investment. It now exists as the proper "magic" option for people who want to be mages until endgame when you have access to the sorceries/miracles/hexes that are worth a drat, because Pyromancy scales on both INT and FAITH stats.

IF YOU WANT TO USE SORCERIES: loving don't bother until endgame. Keep up with all of your sorcery progression and what not with relevant quests and NPCs, but sorcery is absurdly useless until you are at endgame with crystal spells, 60 INT, and have one of the two staves that has S rank scaling. Pyromancy will scale with the raw INT investments you are making through the game, so use all of your titanite on the glove and make sure you get the important ones like Great Fireball/Great Chaos Fireball.

Use Simple/Fire/Chaos-infused weapons or the Crystal Sage's Rapier (crystal hail is unreliable garbage and not worth the soul) as your melee compliment. You can try to run Crystal infusion, but a lot of enemies are going to laugh in your face unless you've upgraded the hell out of the weapon's raw damage and you should be using titanite on the pyroglove.

IF YOU WANT TO USE MIRACLES: Miracles are not as ridiculously stymied as sorcery, but your major boss-killing spells are also sitting at the backend of the game as well. You'll definitely want to stop off at the Smouldering Lake to pick up Lightning Stake from the big worm creature. Get the White Hair Talisman if you're hell-bent on being a pure spellcaster, since it'll make your lesser Pyromancies a little more accessible without needing to pump a huge amount of INT investment. Make sure you pick up the sunlight covenant early on and grind out your 20 medals, but stick to using miracles as a compliment to melee combat for the moment.

Use uninfused weapons and use your myriad sick-as-hell enchantments or Blessed/Lightning infusions.

IF YOU WANT TO USE HEXES: You're absolutely stuck with pyromancy until the arbitrary points at which the game allows you access to the various dark arts. You're going to have to go out of your way to get the various Catalysts that enhance dark scaling, but the good news is your Pyromancy glove is the best for the dark pyros, so dump your investment there first! Since you're investing in both int/faith for damage, pyromancy will scale up pretty aggressively with your levels. Be careful that you buy all of the dark stuff at once if you're going through Irinia, since once you buy any hexes from her she goes crazy and fucks off and renders you unable to learn anything else.

Dark/Chaos infusions or just stick with uninfused and run stuff like Dark Blade/Darkmoon Blade enchantments.

the point here is pyromancy is still really good, just not as something you get to stick on to every character build. Instead of being the "everybody does a little pyro", it's now "every SPELLCASTER does a little pyro".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Azazell0 posted:

If you look at a weapons stats you'll see that most have a ranking from S-E next to an icon that represents a damage stat (Str, Dex, Int, Faith).
How it works is that the better the ranking, with S being best, the more bonus damage you get from when you level up that stat. You can see how much bonus damage you're getting from scaling, it's the +* number after the base damage on the weapon stat screen.
So a weapon with a C ranking in strength will give less bonus damage than one with S and the more points you put into strength increases the bonus too.
Most weapons have fairly meh scaling until you get into the +6 reinforce the range anyway.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So I was watching a buddy of mine play through an area I haven't been to yet and I thought I saw a bunch of what looked like beds of chaos in the background. Was I right?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

Some weapons/infusions scale a damage vector according to your stats: the bigger the stat, the bigger the hit. How much you gain from the stat is represented by a letter grade according to letter grading conventions used in every Japanese game ever (S is best, A is next down, follow the alphabet to E, which is minimum). Top nerds are working out the actual math as we speak.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I got a flamberge off of one of those little fuckers in undead settlement. Bleed seems pretty neat for bosses.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I've noticed that nearly every boss in this game are harder than nearly all of the bosses in all of the previous games. I love this game but it seems that most of the bosses are loving speed demons with huge combo attacks. I used to think Fume Knight and Artorias were tough but then I met Pontiff Sullyvahn and Jesus Christ that guy is loving Satan on speed in the first phase. Everything is a huge combo with multiple differently timed swings or a quick-fired long ranged stab and I am too scared to approach him because he can't be stunned and I'll get caught in his tornado of pain. I'd say he's nearly as hard as Ludwig. Thankfully he calms the gently caress down in his second phase but by then my nerves are shattered and I panic. I beat him on my 20th or so attempt.

I feel like this game went a little too far on making bosses difficult through speed rather than timing or whatever. In DS1 the only bosses remotely as fast as PS were Artorias, Manus, and maybe Super Ornstein.

I still love this game but I'm getting really fatigued by the bosses all being Bloodborne bosses. I miss having slower bosses with unique ways of being challenging without having giant attack combos.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
It's been a while since I played through Demon's Souls. I watched a few boss videos on youtube yesterday, and I'd forgotten how forgiving certain elements of that game are. In a video of the Allant fight, someone had 99 Full Moon Grasses in their inventory, and he just kept spamming heals throughout the fight without any consequence. On top of being able to essentially carry an unlimited amount of items that heal you 100%, popping the grass recharges your health immediately. It doesn't slowly fill like it does with estus or lifegems. Allant also seemed really methodical. He telegraphs all of his attacks and gives you plenty of time to back off and heal.

I'd like to go back and play through Demon's Souls after I finish Dark Souls 3. I get the feeling that I'd tear through it pretty quickly, despite being terrible at it when I played through it originally and needing to cheese a bunch of the bosses.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

f#a# posted:

Weapon scaling is how much additional damage your weapon does, based off your stats. If you look at any weapon, you'll see a "95 +24" for its damage (whatever type the damage may be). The "+24" part comes from two factors: 1) the weapon's scaling factor (look down and you'll see that some weapons have a D through S rank for certain attributes, namely Str/Dex/Fth/Int), and 2) your stat in whatever the weapon scales off of.

So the Broadsword for example starts with 117 physical, plus a "C" in Str scaling and a "D" in Dex rating. This means that the higher your strength (and to a lesser degree your dex), the more damage the weapon will do. Upgrading the broadsword with titanite will increase the base damage and its scaling modifiers, so it might be like a 234 base with "A" in STR scaling and "C" in DEX scaling, meaning your strength contributes to more bonus damage.

Infusions drastically alter the scaling formula. If you try infusing that broadsword with raw, for example, you'll see the base damage go way up, but raw infusions remove all scaling from a weapon. Therefore, raw is key for SL1 builds where their stats are kept low. Heavy gems add STR scaling, Sharp gems add DEX, etc. Play around with upgrading a weapon and look at its numbers, that's really the key.

Thanks all! The part about "+24" was really enlightening. I think I put RAW on my broadsword and +1 on my longsword.

So far I'm barely dipping my feet in the water. Those big Lothric knights still give me trouble, especially that guy with a spear and shield. It just seems they do so many attacks in a row I can't dodge them all. I'm slowly inching my way towards the courtyard (with the dead knights' fountain and all) because I assume that's the way to go.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Malek Deneith posted:

Watchdogs of Farron covenant is positively hilarious. Once I equipped it I couldn't go three steps without being summoned. Farmed all 30 covenant items in half a day.

I am so jealous of you :argh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I'm assuming the tradeoff is that they made the requirements real stupid in exchange for how useful it is in combat, then.

Pyromancy is very, very good.

There are also some pyromancies with very low or no requirements that can be useful to everyone. For example, Fire Orb requires 8/8 and does pretty great damage, at least in the early game, even with those stats. Great Chaos Fire Orb has no requirements, same for Chaos Fire Storm. And all the buff/utility pyromancies have low requirements (except Warmth, but that one really did get nerfed hard).

On the other hand, "pyromancer" is now an actual build that you can commit to and get great results with. Pyromancy soft-caps at 60 total stats (so like 30/30 Int/Faith or any combination that adds up to 60) and Chaos-infused weapons are extremely strong at those stats, as are the spells. It's really the strongest form of magic in the game right now.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

This is probably a dumb question, but do I need to use an ember in order to be summoned as a Blue Sentinel? I noticed after I used one that my covenant symbol turned all fiery, and it seems to pulse once in a while, but I'm not sure what that means, exactly.

Also I feel like Blue Sentinels might already be dead on console past the very early game. At lvl 37 with a +3 weapon I've been getting zero hits in the swamp / woods, and that feels like it should be right in that ideal range for it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cicadalek posted:

Pick your weapon based on the moveset, whichever moveset you prefer is the weapon you should infuse with chaos. Don't worry about dumb min/maxing. So what if some rapier would do 20 more damage per hit if you much prefer the moveset of the longsword or whathaveyou? Its going to be like a 5% difference, just pick what you think looks cool and is fun to use.

Tollymain posted:

well, this computer can't handle this game. so i guess i'll find out how awful deprived can be in a week or so when my new roommate sets up a tower :v:

You turned lighting to Low and SSAO to Off already, right? because you have to do that on lovely computers.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Same. I can't play it, but I can scan over the DS3 thread here while deliberately not reading anything or looking at images because I don't want anything spoiled.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Azazell0 posted:

Thanks all! The part about "+24" was really enlightening. I think I put RAW on my broadsword and +1 on my longsword.

So far I'm barely dipping my feet in the water. Those big Lothric knights still give me trouble, especially that guy with a spear and shield. It just seems they do so many attacks in a row I can't dodge them all. I'm slowly inching my way towards the courtyard (with the dead knights' fountain and all) because I assume that's the way to go.

Also, keep in mind you can upgrade infused weapons. It'd be possible to upgrade that raw broadsword to +1, +2, etc., and it's base damage will continue to increase.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Things I have learnt in the past two hours (endgame poo poo

gently caress Gwyns firstborn
Hanzo steel (chaos blade) is god at +5
gently caress everything else I feel really good now I killed that fucker, dragon armor is about to get an rear end whopping

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

(crystal hail is unreliable garbage and not worth the soul)

Well, gently caress.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
WOULD YOU LIKE TO CHANGE THE WINDOWS COLOR SCHEME

thanks game i didnt want to die like a puss there but im okay im not mad

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Me, too. I spent all of last night being pretty down on the game and bitching about weapon balance and poo poo, and now I'm at work and all I can think about is DS3 and how much I want to go and run around and Dark Souls more

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but do I need to use an ember in order to be summoned as a Blue Sentinel? I noticed after I used one that my covenant symbol turned all fiery, and it seems to pulse once in a while, but I'm not sure what that means, exactly.

Also I feel like Blue Sentinels might already be dead on console past the very early game. At lvl 37 with a +3 weapon I've been getting zero hits in the swamp / woods, and that feels like it should be right in that ideal range for it.

Not a dumb question, and I don't believe you do. Pretty sure I got summoned once when I wasn't embered. (not that embers are hard to come by AT ALL)

Blue Sentinels aren't dead on console, don't assume the sky is falling from your few personal experiences. See the quote I just made earlier about somebody getting 30 in a row. poo poo is active, its just kinda finnicky for whatever reason. Some regions, some levels, some upgrade levels conspire to make it so you don't get many summons. Hard to say what the problem is, just leave it on and keep playing through the game and hope for the best.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I seriously loving hate that message. I once spent 6 hours making registry changes trying to disable that window, and I still won't go away. Microsoft are loving retarded.

Seriously there is no way to prevent that message, its hard-coded into the shell. (WHAT THE gently caress?) You can press "Shut the gently caress up" but as soon as you restart your computer, it forgets about it.

Microsoft you ignorant sluts! IF THERE'S A FULLSCREEN APP RUNNING DON'T POP poo poo UP.

Windows firewall also causes tons of game crashes by popping up a "DO YOU WANT TO ALLOW THIS :downs:" window RIGHT as the game is booting up.

Its like Microsoft doesn't even use Windows themselves or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Apple killed me twice while fighting a lategame boss due to that poo poo.