Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Pyromancers are such cool dudes in these games. Cornyx, Laurentius, and Rosabeth are nothing but nice people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Okay gentlemen, I had nothing else better to do with my time so I spent quite a bit of time essentially farming the final boss via coop on my Dex/Faith build and comparing the Dragonslayer Swordspear against other damage miracles.I gained like 20 sunlight medals doing this, it was great. Here are my results, keep in mind these numbers/analysis were observed at 45 Faith, and at higher levels may get overtaken. I was using a Canvas Talisman +10, whose effects on the Lightning Spears line of miracles is greater than Saint's Talisman up to 50 faith, where Saint's Talisman starts to do more damage. These tests were conducted at point blank and distance range, I didn't say what the distance attacks of the Lightning Spears did because you should be attacking at point blank range with miracles in this game. I will say that not at point blank range Sunlight Spear at least does like 750.

The Dragonslayer Swordspear kicks more rear end than I thought, and I already thought it was an awesome weapon. First, the Skill does scale like a miracle. That means it receives boosts from both miracle boosting rings and the lightning clutch ring, as well as faith. Next, the Dragonslayer Swordspear deals comparable/superior damage to Great Lightning Spear (both miracles by the way are better than Lightning Stake). Finally, the Dragonslayer Swordspear gains no bonus from point blank range, instead I believe any distance counts as "point blank" because it always does two hits, and Lightning Spears not fired at point blank range only do one hit instead of two.

With no rings boosting damage at all (other than Prisoner's Chain, which doesn't affect miracles) Dragonslayer Swordspear does two hits equaling roughly 1270 damage. With the same equipment Great Lightning Spear did slightly less, can't remember the exact number but it was a little over 1200. Sunlight Spear deals two hits equaling roughly 2000 damage.

With both miracle boosting rings and Prisoner's Chain (which again shouldn't factor in) Dragonslayer's Swordspear shoots up roughly 200 points of damage, dealing somewhere in the range of 1450-ish. Once again, Great Lightning Spear does slightly less, this time around 1366 damage. Sunlight Spear once again proves itself the ultimate miracle, dealing around 2300.

With both miracle boosting rings and Lightning Clutch Ring and Prisoner's Chain (I keep mentioning this item to be thorough) Dragonslayer Swordspear's damage shoots up 50 or so points of damage, dealing around 1500 damage in total. Great Lightning Spear's damage is consistently a little lower, in the lower-to mid 1400's. Sunlight Spear's damage is about 2400.

Sunlight Spear's FP cost is 70, Great Lightning Spear's FP cost is 38, and Dragonslayer Swordspear's FP cost is 20, nearly half of Great Lightning Spear. With Farron's Ring reducing FP costs of Weapon Skills, it's even lower. Great Lightning Spear's only advantage over Dragonslayer Swordspear's everything is that it's faster. Dragonslayer Swordspear, in other words, is essentially a Greater Great Lightning Spear. Considering FP efficiency, Dragonslayer Swordspear's Weapon Skill might be the best offensive miracle in the game.

Anybody aiming for a Faith build should heavily consider acquiring this weapon, I consider it right now to be the best Faith weapon in the game, or at least one of the best.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I know SOME of you must use Ornstein's Dragonslayer Spear, so how is it? I don't have enough Twinkling Titanite yet to upgrade it all the way, which was partly the reason why I was cooping the final boss.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I'm actually having a ton of fun invading Irithyll as a Mound maker just so I can get hosts to unlock Anri's good end. I'm going to save my waifu across multiple worlds whether the host wanted it or not.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Vit is necessary for fashion souls.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I think this Host legit accidentally started a fight club. I don't understand his logic.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Bitches love the Nameless King crown :smug:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Harrow posted:

Warmth requiring 25 Faith is a great joke because that's exactly what Great Heal requires and that's a ton better. I'm sad because Warmth is a neat spell, but it's garbage this time.

This isn't exactly true. Great Heal is better than Warmth, but it's not a ton better. It's better when you don't have high faith, because the base heal is better than the other heals other than Soothing Sunlight. However, at high faith and with the miracle boosting equipment, regular, plain old Heal does just as good if not better a job relative to your HP. I 've been running with 25 Vigor, and a plain Heal miracle will heal me for roughly 60% or so of my life. Great Heal at that point is overkill and not worth the FP cost in comparison.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

ITS OGRE FOR YOU

Also I am incredibly displeased that nothing besides the Dancer armor shows my female pyromancer's extraordinary rear end. Every since I saw a cooperator with the Leather boots on I knew what my course in this playthrough must be. Showing off dat fine booty. Alas, the only two good form fitting pants are the leather boots and the dancer leggings, and both of those, again, onmnly get show noff with the Dancer armor. Fashion Souls continues...

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Ring of the Unliving, I think is the name of it?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I accidentally got dragged into a fight club, hosted by myself, outside the Pontiff's boss arena, in a desperate three hour bid to stay alive that amassed me 75k souls and didn't work out. I was really, really hoping that I could summon enough friendly phantoms to overwhelm or intimidate the invaders enough for me to make a clean get away, or that I could somehow sneak off while everyone was busy spectating and fighting and make a run for the next bonfire. Neither of those ever happened, finally somehow the flood of invasions and red signs slowed down to the point it was just me and a red phantom.

At one point I had five invaders all around me, and here I am sweating my balls off. Some of them actually did try to kill me, and I pretended that they were violating the "rules" of this "fight club" that was totally happening and not just me desperately trying to get invaders to not gank me, and the other non participating invaders helpfully killed them for me. The closest I came to breaking free was when I managed to summon both a friendly phantom AND a bluecop showed up, but then they both died to a katana nippon thousand folded steel master who did the Legion Salute thing.

In the end it came down to me and another katana dude, and I just accepted my fate and let him kill me because the bonfire is like, right there. The reason why I went through all that was because I couldn't and didn't want to fight the two doggies in the basement alone, so I needed summons, but all I kept getting were red signs and invasions. Like seriously, that zone is invasion heaven. Hell, I even got like, 4 blue sentinel/darkmoon summons.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Makes you immune to hands that want to give you the middle finger.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Too bad somebody smashed the crystal that enabled the originals to live double immortal lives.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I feel so Goddamned sad and frustrated having failed Seigward TWICE now. You only get ONE shot at it, and Yhorm just won't stop loving wailing on him. I hate it. I failed you buddy :smith:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
...OK, I see to have made the transition from pyromancer to hexer/dark sorcery caster with the acquisition of my form fitting leather pants. Dark magic in general seems strong as long as you have the softcap for pyromancy. Currently 32 int/28 faith and it's tearing things up just as good/better as pyromancy.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Tallgeese, can you drop me like six Human Dregs man? I can't get any bites in this drat covenant.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Thnaks to MrLonghair for the Deacons farming suggestion, I've got the ten dregs I need to get Great Deep Soul. Time to gently caress off from that wretched covenant and invasion haven forever!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Oceiros is a loving teleporting scumbag bitch in coop.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Kanos posted:

Straight swords do roughly 30% too much damage for how light they are, how low their stat reqs are, how insanely fast they are, and how they have literally the best moveset in the entire game including the best weapon art. Thrusting swords are also too strong but not remotely as hilariously dumb as straight swords are.

Seriously, I can be four drinks in and mash R1 at an invader with a dark sword or Anri's and win trades 80% of the time, it's retarded as gently caress. Why the hell does a sword that costs 1/4 the stamina of a greatsword and swing 5 times as fast have like 430 loving AR?

Yeah its awesome.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The lizard really got a kick outta that one.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Kild posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldIxzYQ7nIw

Apparently poise is turned off either intentionally or unintentionally. You can hack a value to a 1 and make it work.

Here is that same video but actually showing the poise value
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EaoGYbK0fo

FromSoft, are you loving kidding me?! You have it in the game, but apparently decided "lol no muh difficulty" and disabled it? That's loving stupid.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Wow, I had no idea that Darkmoons could help you in boss fights. I thought they would disappear when the invader dies, but nope, I had an unexpected ally for the Lothric Princes fight.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I just finished playing my pyromancer character at 35 hours, 5 less than my first character. Pyromancy is good and tough and cool. It stays pretty drat strong throughout the game, in fact, I feel that sometimes Forbidden Sun/Chaos Bed Vestiges/pyromancy Destructo Disc is redundant having Great Chaos Fire Orb to use instead. Both firestorm spells are nearly useless, I tried really hard to make them work and it just wasn't happening. The rest of the utility pyro spells are about the same usefulness as they've always been in Souls games. In the endgame pyromancy, in my opinion, can't match the miracle damage, I don't know about sorcery because I haven't played around with it much. However, pyromancy is still very good at endgame.

Also my elation at dark magic faded basically instantly after Anor Londo. It's situationally useful, which is a drat shame. Worked wonders against the Nameless King first phase (Dorhys' Gnawing tears the Storm King up, inflicts bleeding on either second or third hit), and Black Orb does good work against the second phase. Overall though, there aren't enough enemies weak against it to make it worth using over the other magic quality build, pyromancy.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Literally the Benny Hill theme going on right here.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Fly Molo posted:

Someone on the Fextralife forums posted datamined info on how good the Carthus Bloodring is. As it turns out, it's loving powerful.

Every roll has i-frames then recovery frames, where you're vulnerable but can't roll again.

Rolling in DS3, whether below or above 30%, has 14 i-frames and 9 recovery frames.
The Bloodring changes that to 19/4. You can roll non-stop and be drat near invincible, it's ridiculous. The 15% extra damage taken sucks, but the Steel Protection or Lloyd's Shield rings will cancel that right out.

For comparison, a DS1 fast roll was 12/12, 14/8 with the DWGR. DS2 varied from 5/20 with poo poo agility to 16/9 when it was maxed out.

Holy. poo poo. That actually changes up a lot of the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

So heres a question, who the gently caress are the angels and why have they decided to show up after thousands of years of poo poo being lovely. The winged knights used angel power to vaporize lothric knights inside their armor, so clearly they're powerful. Hope theres a DLC in that somewhere

Judging by two (there might be a third one somewhere else, don't remember) statues in the game, they're the Primordial Serpents. There's some statues of the Serpents with wings on their backs and dressed in robes.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Umm, I'm seeing a lot of negative posts here about heavy armor and poise. You guys are forgetting the most important part of armor. Fashion. I don't give a drat poo poo about the poise if this thing makes me feel like the coolest motherfucker in the area.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
FOR FUCKS SAKE WATCHDOGS JUST LET ME INVADE ALREADY loving poo poo. IS there any way to make this more bearable other than farming those three assholes outside the Ruins bonfire for Swordgrass? This character is too early in the game for item discovery stacking.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Harrow posted:

On second thought, maybe I don't want Profaned Flame anyway.

"Hey, I know! Let's make the rats respawn! That'll be fun! It'll be such an interesting challenge to dodge the giant's stomps while constantly staggered by an endless swarm of rats."

I have good(?) news for you. Profaned Flame is nowhere close to the Greatness of Flame Swathe or Lingering Flame in DS2. Profaned Flame sucks.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

turtlecrunch posted:

Feeling pretty good about pure caster sorcery on my second attempt, not sure if I want to do Crystal Sage now or leave it as my "final boss" though. :v: L31 with 41INT and 9VGR you can't tell me what to do game. Invaders kill me in 3 hits but as my character name is Crystal Lizard I feel justified in curling up in a ball till they get close then running away.

As far as gimmicks go, I have to say that's a pretty good one.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Is anybody else noticing these regulations/patches are coming out extremely fast? I don't remember too much of vanilla DS2 and nothing at all about DS1, was this the case there?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is the sword spear good for PvE or is it more for pvp? I'm thinking pushing towards a quality build in NG+ and using the sunlight straight sword, lothric knight sword, drakeblood sword, and/or that. All depending on what's more fun.

As an owner and user of it I thik it's the exact opposite. It's great for PvE and poor for PvP. Don't expect the Dragonslayer Swordspear's weapon art to ever catch anyone in pvp unless you think they're really bad. It's more of a faith weapon though, I don't know how well it would do for a pure physical build.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

plehsistential posted:

I dunno if that should be spoilered or not but whatever, Champ gundy is a fun boss fight, and his halberd owns.

Unfortunately for most builds and people, the Prisoner's Chain is more practical. Which sucks, because from what I've seen his halberd is indeed fun.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Jewel Repetition posted:

What armor is this on the DS3 box art?

You'll know it when you see it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
There's a lot of tree and wood imagery going on with this game, like, what's up with that?

Is the new age of fire that will inevtiably comes after the dark ending be a world of trees? Is mankind's fate to become trees like how DS2 giants become trees? Are the stone archtrees the eventual fate of all things? Are stone everlasting dragons just an evolutionary midpoint between humans and archtrees? Was the Age of Ancients when the world was unformed just the tail end of an Age of Dark? Is Gwyn, Nito, and the Witches of Izalith and the Furtive Pygmy going to discover the First Flame again and genocide the human dragon trees again because one member of them got hosed by Evolution? Where does the Crystal of Immortality fit into all this? What was the Throne of Want? What about the DS2 ending where you escape the curse by becoming a true king?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
If the Witch of Izalith made the Bed of Chaos, and the Bed of Chaos spawned all the demons, does that make the Witch a milf? Or just a bad game designer?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
With the nerf to Great Chaos Fire Orb there is now no reason not to use Chaos Bed Vestige instead. Before Great Chaos Fire Orb had the advantages of having a farther reach, shorter cast time, and the extra damage from the lava pool meant that even though Chaos Bed Vestige still did more damage than it, it wasn't by much. With the nerf however, even though Great Chaos Fire Orb still has the range and the cast time, the damage from Chaos Bed Vestige should now outweigh Great Chaos Fire Orb's pros.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

:perfect:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I am literally invading as a Silver Knight archer and although it's ineffective, it's loving rad. None of my hosts get away without looking like pincushions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
YES, YES, loving YES. THANK GOD. It took three characters, but I finally saved Seigward. He survived the whole fight with Yhorm. Granted, mechanically the end result is the same, but I feel good. I had to equip the Greatshield of Glory and basically draw Yhorm's aggro so Seigward could basically do all the damage dealing, but it was worth it, and it was only about two extra minutes in the end. Yes! Toast your old buddy Yhorm, buddy, I'm so happy you got to fulfill you duty.