Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

With my pre-order I got a "vip-code", nearest I can find is it's bandai's community registry with nothing particularly interesting, am I missing out on something noteworthy if I completely ignore it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

CJ posted:

It gives you 1000 points for Bamco's lovely loyalty scheme. You can redeem it for dumb anime poo poo like a one piece pint glass. If you don't want it send it to me so i can see if you can stack codes from the same game.

check your PMs.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

Without saying anything spoiler wise, dark souls 3 really feels like they put together all of their lessons they learned from all of the last souls borne games and put in just about every quality of life improvement. Including new ones just for this game.

I hope they at least use this engine and formula for a new sci-fi series or something. They've got it so drat right with this game, it makes all the previous ones look pretty inferior.

Basically get hyped as gently caress.

From Soft presents: Star Wars?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

weekly font posted:

Stuck at 99% :suicide:

We are the 99%!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

All right, time to dive into this thing. Is there anything known about the starting gifts - are there any petrified something or old witch's ring equivalents? I can't spot any from a cursory glance so ...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

It runs at 60fps at Max settings. I'm so happy I got a new card.
I murdered the gently caress outta that crystal lizard thing first try. :smug:

Holy poo poo I love how much faster everything is.

what card'd you buy?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Man those snakehead fuckers are horrible. They obscure the camera when you get too close and lock-on seems to work against you more times than not, the snakeheads can phase through walls/floors to hit you - and they hit like a motherfucker. Do they drop anything worthwhile?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So are the knights in front of the Vordt of the Boreal Valley supposed to be tanky or should I look into upgrading my weaponry? It takes quite a few hits (10-15) to kill one unless I get lucky with parries and they hit like a motherfucker.

Also what's with the blue knight with glowing eyes? What does that signify other than he's a bigger meaner rear end in a top hat in a group of big mean assholes?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A question about parrying: is there a noticeable difference between the target round shield and the other small shields in terms of parrying ease? Basically what does the fancy parry animation get me that the others don't?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Okay, the (mini-boss) drake/dragon/firebreathing catamite in High Wall of Lothric, is there a melee way to kill it or is loading up on arrows the only way of dealing with that rear end in a top hat?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Your dog just died and ate your homework alarm clock.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Just managed to crash the game after I killed a guy stuck inside a wall. :darksouls:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I need help. In firelink, passed the 20000 souls key door, there is a bridge before an elevator. Looking down the side you can see this shiny. How the hell do you get there?

I got the item on the other side no problem but this one is annoying. Every jump I try to make I end up sliding off and plunging to my death.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I guess I must have jumped at too much of an angle or jumped a little too soon. I got them now though.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Control Volume posted:

I'm okay with the events that are unfolding currently.

hawt.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Man, I restarted a new character for funsies and relearning the parry windows for a regular shield when you got used to a buckler is rough.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

longbow vs crossbow, when which one?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there a DS3 equivalent to this map yet?

I want to know if I'm missing sideways in the areas I've passed since so far everything has been pretty linear.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

PvP talk - has anyone had succes on low-level characters invading? All I've found is babbies who have 1 or 2 white phantom meatshields (and I'm not effective enough to get around those).

Alternatively what strategies exist to get through/around those guys? Pyromancies? Firebombs?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Capsaicin posted:

oh gently caress the samurai dude at firelink just wrecked me :( I should have known when I saw like, 20 bloodstains right before that staircase.

I thought of using him as a parry training dummy but then I got introduced to the Firelink Fog door. gently caress having to wait 10-20 seconds every time I die.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

homeless poster posted:

don't waste your time right now. low-level invasion is really friendly towards the defender and the game is new enough that there's no lack of low level people throwing down summon signs to get cinders or sunlight tokens or whatever. wait a little longer and then start invading around sacrifice road or beyond - the areas are much more open which makes it much easier to pull shenanigans and there's far fewer people throwing down piles of signs, so you get less 3v1 stomps.

Yeah I figured so but ... damned I want my pale tongue...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I was trying out a new character and while fighting the crystal lizard thingie near the tutorial area I ... bloodborne-parried him? As in I hit him with regular attacks and suddenly he was stunned and allowed me to do a riposte. Anyone know if this is a timing thing I stumbled into or is it a matter of poise?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Has anyone else had a lot of trouble doing kicks? I can do them maybe 20% of the time and the rest are regular attacks. Kind of annoying.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What's a good replacement/complement to my trusty estoc? I'm looking for a little more variety.

Don't say Uchikatana.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

well, i'm not really sure what the purpose of this is, but alright...

:ohdear: Mr Candles? :ohdear:

Or Mr Eaten? :getin:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The Dancer seems like a bullet sword-sponge. Is she meant to be a later-game boss?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So this frost beast/knight/thing underneath an elevator, how the gently caress do you deal with him (that doesn't involve bow cheese)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So I got the covenant item from Hodrik. Can I go kill that weird ent boss now given the way that second form goes or do I need to keep Hodrik alive somehow??

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm starting to feel that parrying is just not worth it - sure it looks cool but the penalty for failure is massive AND the chance of messing up is incredibly high. Doubly so in PVP.

Convince me of the merits of parrying because right now it feels like a detriment to my enjoyment of the game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, the guide is a very reliable source of infor

What am I looking at here? What is inaccurate about this because I know gently caress-all about stats never mind luck.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

"more important for most first time players and fir"

ah. hrmmmm

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Bombadilillo posted:

Pyromancy owns bones.

I keep seeing poo poo talking about magic. If this is hard mode, I'm going to destroy the game when I do a bigassswordbuild.

What's your favorite 2 spells, I haven't touched pyromancy yet.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

God damned. I just wasted 9 cracked red eye orbs trying to invade. I suck at pvp/disconnects are annoying.

Time to go fight a fire demon and get a tongue that way I guess :(

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The Estoc special seems way too slow to be practical especially if you also have to switch hands around; any opponent who isn't also a mong will be circle-strafing or going on the offensive with a quick hit while it charges instead of standing there with a greatshield up and most enemies either move around too much or are too aggressive to stand there and let it break them

It's way better just to stop attacking and go for counter-hits with your quick, long-thrusting weapon

I've found all weapon specials to be too cumbersome to actually use except in niche situations with players who were already on the back foot aka to show off. Maybe if one uses a skill shield it might be useful but IMO the parry shields are more useful (if highly circumstantial).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Norns posted:

Making progress on getting it to work with my ultrawide setup!

:eyepop: would that FOV actually be useful in a practical sense? Seems to me that your eyes'd have to focus on too wide a view to be physically tolerable.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Can I still continue the Sirris questline if I already killed the Curserotten boss?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Near the entrance to the Crystal Sage boss there are some broken stairs with an item above. How do I get up there?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What are people's opinions on the scythe? as fun as DS1?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is it useful in pvp or too slow/easily parried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My red orb experience so far;

code:
A connection error has occurred. Returning to your world
Are players just gigantic pussies or what?

Yes. Also 3 goldbros will await you.

Has anyone tried to keep Knight Hodrick alive? Is there any point to not doing that bossfight?