Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The answer is yes, because you used Sword Master to kill Dancer and have 52k souls sitting in your pocket. Vordt Mace only needs 30 str...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Tracula posted:

I will never, ever beat Ancient Dragon on principal alone and it's the only Souls boss I can say that about. I seriously think it's the worst fight in the entire series. While Bed of Chaos and some gimmick bosses are bad I can understand they wanted to do a gimmick. gently caress Ancient Dragon so goddamn hard forever, I have no idea what they were thinking with it.

I'm pretty sure this is the entire point of that fight. There is literally no reason to fight Ancient Dragon. He is a nice guy who gives you his quest item the first time you see him, and the only thing he drops you can more easily get elsewhere. There isn't even an achievement for killing him. You would only fight him if you knew he was a boss and something about that compelled you to think 'I must kill all bosses'. Well, fine, rear end in a top hat, here's your loving boss fight: you get to engage in single combat (because lord help you if you summoned and upped his health pool) with a monster that has more HP than anything else in the game and the ability to kill you instantly if you gently caress up just once. Hope it was worth it.

At least, I hope that's the point of that fight, because it's the only explanation that justifies its existence.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Sadly most of the boss souls items aren't that great

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kanos posted:

Many, many Souls players are conditioned to strafe/roll to their right while locked on, because that's moving away from their weapon hand and traditionally Souls enemies are loving awful at dealing with the player doing that. Champion Gundyr has multiple attacks deliberately designed to punish this behavior; his kicks and shoulder rams both hit super hard and are lightning fast, and he's incredibly aggressive and good at punishing attempted estus use so he puts people into panic spirals really easily. The vast, vast majority of players aren't going to have anywhere near 40 vigor so eating two or three hits from Gundyr starts putting you in serious danger mode.

Incidentally, the "strafe/roll right while locked on" habit is why Lothric knights kill people so much, because they deliberately gave them counter moves to the old "walk around the silver knight and backstab them" strat.

...This actually makes a ton of sense, very cool.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Kanos posted:

Incidentally, the "strafe/roll right while locked on" habit is why Lothric knights kill people so much, because they deliberately gave them counter moves to the old "walk around the silver knight and backstab them" strat.

For me the Boreal Knights or whatever they're called always, always gently caress my face since I just roll straight away and their range is so goddamn long they punish you with like three hits.

Crummelhorn posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the entire point of that fight. There is literally no reason to fight Ancient Dragon. He is a nice guy who gives you his quest item the first time you see him, and the only thing he drops you can more easily get elsewhere. There isn't even an achievement for killing him. You would only fight him if you knew he was a boss and something about that compelled you to think 'I must kill all bosses'. Well, fine, rear end in a top hat, here's your loving boss fight: you get to engage in single combat (because lord help you if you summoned and upped his health pool) with a monster that has more HP than anything else in the game and the ability to kill you instantly if you gently caress up just once. Hope it was worth it.

At least, I hope that's the point of that fight, because it's the only explanation that justifies its existence.

I'll just use this as my head-canon from now since, yeah, that is the only way you can possibly justify it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

argondamn posted:

There's a cool bug right now where if you take it on and off repeatedly you get instant regen ticks.

It ticks every second, so you're not shaving off much time.

But HP regen is legit. Since absorption and VIT can stack up pretty well together, and given HP values are generally a bit lower than usual, and there being so many HP regen options, you can get up to about ~8HP per-second passive regen. For some perspective, in 4 seconds you're looking at more health than Ring of the Evil Eye nets per kill. So that's not terribly impressive on it's own (evil eye is generally underwhelming), but it does illustrate that you can get the effect to add up. It's the stacking HP regen gear that also helps the Replenishment miracle be worth a poo poo, since you're looking at ~140HP every ten seconds. For a miracle build, you can even stack the Chime weapon art health regen effect for another 6HP per second for 60 seconds - in practice it'll be closer to 3-4HP, because chimes can't be infused and for the chime weapon art to continue ticking it needs to be out, and in-hand; no 2-handing a primary weapon.

At any rate, there are a lot of options for mitigation, and mitigation by a variety of means. If anyone is finding the game too stressful, look into stacking VIT/VGR, and stacking the Bless infusions. It can take a while to come into it's own - the bless tick rate is slow, and only gets up to about 1 tick per second at +10, but even rolling around with a nothing but a +4 Bless Shield (the freebie in Undead Settlement) it makes a nice difference with heavy armors. I have a hard time playing my other characters because they just take so much more damage and I just get stressed out.

Probably a different story for late game areas/NG+, but on a first playthrough, and for PvP it all works incredibly well.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

SpazmasterX posted:

Still nothing. Tried it at different bonfires and random areas and we just cant get it to work. He's embered, got the same password, hasn't beaten the area boss, and we just can't get it to work.

Edit: even tried it with my red signs and still nothing.
Are you or your friend hollowed? My friend and I tried everything the internet said over the course of a week, nothing worked. Then he un-hollowed for a billion souls and everything worked everywhere continuously.

If that's not what did it, I don't know what

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
HP regen is good because there aren't life gems anymore. I forgot the breakdown someone did but I want to say that ignoring healing spells you could hold 500+ healing items in DS2.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Wow, they did a great job with this game. Definitely my favorite Dark Souls. Like, they took all of the quality of life improvements I liked from DS2 (and then some), removed the stuff I didn't like in DS2 (invasions when hollow/boss killed, shrinking health on death, etc.), got rid of some annoying series staples (NPCs scattered about the world, armor upgrading), and created an atmosphere and "feel" that reminds me more of DS1 (DS2's world doesn't really do it for me, for some reason). I was a bit hesitant to buy DS3 on launch because I recently played DS2 again and just didn't get into it the way I do when I replay DS1, but I'm glad I did, because it's pretty much everything I wanted.

They nailed the boss fights this time around. I love how so many of the bosses have a really cool environment (Nameless, Dragonslayer Armour and the final boss, in particular), mid-fight set piece moment (Curse-Rotted Greatwood collapsing the ground), satisfying damage effect (Wolnir's shattering rings, busting Greatwood's balls), or Mega Man-like super weakness ("Plunging attack," Yhorm, Abyss Walkers aggroing on each other, probably others I haven't seen yet). It makes those encounters feel distinct, like true "boss" encounters. On the whole, I've had more fun with the DS3 boss fights than either of the previous games. As I go through NG+, I can't think of a single boss that I really dread refighting. The closest is probably the Revolver Ocelot weirdo, but he's not too bad, and he's optional anyway. I also appreciate that the bosses seem to be less hit-spongy than in the previous games, but maybe they aren't and my memory is just skewed from playing like NG+++++ most recently in DS1 and fighting Manus :cripes:.

I'm glad that even the "big melee guy" bosses are fun to fight. At first I thought Dragonslayer Armour was going to be a big boring melee guy along the lines of The Pursuer or the Dragonrider, but he looks loving cool and his big, flashy moves are very satisfying to dodge. Also you get his weapon and it owns.

Speaking of, I love how weapon skills have added diversity, especially among the boss weapons. In DS1/2 I used the Claymore 90% of the time because it was the only moveset I really loved, but in DS3 I can't even stick to the same three. My overall favorite is probably the Drang Hammers because their weapon skill combo is so satisfying to land, especially since AI with shields will often try to attack between the spins, so the second set smashes them right in the face. But even though they're my favorite, I'm usually on one of the other two slots, which I switch out pretty regularly. Ultra/Greatswords with stomp are hilarious; it's nice to be the rear end in a top hat launching NPCs into the air for a change. I love the Black Knight Glaive spin combo. I love the Farron Greatsword's crazy spin attack against large crowds (I always use it against the Disciples :black101: ), and the Dragonslayer Greataxe's FP is one of the sickest attacks in the series. There are several others I cycle between too, and more cool-looking ones that I haven't gotten around to trying, like the Fume. The weapons are amazing this time around.

I love this game.

Tracula posted:

I will never, ever beat Ancient Dragon on principal alone and it's the only Souls boss I can say that about. I seriously think it's the worst fight in the entire series. While Bed of Chaos and some gimmick bosses are bad I can understand they wanted to do a gimmick. gently caress Ancient Dragon so goddamn hard forever, I have no idea what they were thinking with it.

Man, I love that fight. I sunbro it all the time and have a blast whether we cleave our way through the mobs, or just charge through (the only enemy that can be tricky to outrun/dodge is the big Kratos serpent). Killing mobs while the dragon flaps and thumps around nearby feels badass, and the finish to that fight is IMO one of the coolest moments in the series and I was like "holy poo poo" when I nailed it. The best is when I sunbro with someone who doesn't seem to know the gimmick, so while they are plinking at the wyvern's feet and shielding themselves, I'll sprint through as fast as I can and finish it out of nowhere. It's the best feeling.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Do quest rings stay the same in NG+? Looking at the requirements for the rings and gestures achievements, there's a ring and gesture coming from two mutually exclusive quests, I need to join the Fingers before I kill AW to get Proper Bow but also kill AW and some more bosses without joining the Fingers to get the Silvercat Ring.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Argh the few times I've tried to summon someone it fails and then the game will get stuck at the loading screen if I try to travel or if I die. I then have to quit out of the game and reload. I am able to be summoned just fine. I'm on Xbox.

Anyone else getting this issue?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Wafflecop posted:

Argh the few times I've tried to summon someone it fails and then the game will get stuck at the loading screen if I try to travel or if I die. I then have to quit out of the game and reload. I am able to be summoned just fine. I'm on Xbox.

Anyone else getting this issue?

not enough ram hah hah :P

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Asehujiko posted:

Do quest rings stay the same in NG+? Looking at the requirements for the rings and gestures achievements, there's a ring and gesture coming from two mutually exclusive quests, I need to join the Fingers before I kill AW to get Proper Bow but also kill AW and some more bosses without joining the Fingers to get the Silvercat Ring.

You can get all the gestures in one go, I've done it. Before you kill Abyss Watchers, get Sirris' emote and then go for Yellowfingers' emote. You'll break Sirris' questline but whatever. Just be sure to get all summonable npc gestures before you lock out of them by killing bosses.

Rings can't be done in one go because there are NG+/++ versions of them.

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011
Ancient Dragon was stupidly easy to get stuck in a loop. Enter fog gate, run at him, sprint for half the distance, tap his right paw when he sticks his head down to breath fire, run back towards the gate as he finishes his breath and....he'll do it again, no flying or nuffin. Do that loop 10 times and he gives up his giant soul.

spaph
Dec 1, 2015

Shine posted:

Man, I love that fight. I sunbro it all the time and have a blast whether we cleave our way through the mobs, or just charge through (the only enemy that can be tricky to outrun/dodge is the big Kratos serpent). Killing mobs while the dragon flaps and thumps around nearby feels badass, and the finish to that fight is IMO one of the coolest moments in the series and I was like "holy poo poo" when I nailed it. The best is when I sunbro with someone who doesn't seem to know the gimmick, so while they are plinking at the wyvern's feet and shielding themselves, I'll sprint through as fast as I can and finish it out of nowhere. It's the best feeling.

Pretty sure they're talking about DaS2 Ancient Dragon.

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

Hey, Sacred Oath is pretty good ignoring that you can do it with the sunlight straight sword.

Sunlight Straight Sword, Sacred Oath, and Deep Protection stack.

You're welcome.

spaph fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 25, 2016

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This game started off strong but about the time I hit the catacombs my drive was faltering. Ok not in this snowy castle land at the Church Bon fire and I think my drive is gone. These knights are not fun to fight.

This is the first souls game to make me feel this way before finishing two or three playthroughs. :(

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Wildtortilla posted:

This game started off strong but about the time I hit the catacombs my drive was faltering. Ok not in this snowy castle land at the Church Bon fire and I think my drive is gone. These knights are not fun to fight.

This is the first souls game to make me feel this way before finishing two or three playthroughs. :(

irythyll owns

the catacombs are terrible though and they come after a p lovely swamp area :/

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

ScipioAfro posted:

Ancient Dragon was stupidly easy to get stuck in a loop. Enter fog gate, run at him, sprint for half the distance, tap his right paw when he sticks his head down to breath fire, run back towards the gate as he finishes his breath and....he'll do it again, no flying or nuffin. Do that loop 10 times and he gives up his giant soul.

I beat him one time legitimately and then saw a speedrunner fight him and realized that he's a big dumb joke. You can sit between his toes and he can't hit you, he eventually will fly up but all you have to do is run at his tail and you'll avoid the flame breath. Super easy.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Is there a list of NG+ builds that start at ~100SL to give people an idea of what can be done. I went pretty much mostly dex, and some str for my first playthrough and wanted to do something different. Katana and Curved Storm were my goto's and did really well, but I feel like it's time for something different. I just didn't want to completely gimp myself when I start NG+ and have to suffer until I get to Cath again for respec.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
why is the blood moon risen in lothric castle after i kill Rom

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I summoned in NPCs to get through Sulyvhan and now I feel like scum. :(

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Malcolm XML posted:

irythyll owns

the catacombs are terrible though and they come after a p lovely swamp area :/

Yeah the catacombs are pretty weak, and to add insult to injury the demon ruins are pretty much the same poo poo but with more roots, lava, and loving ghrues everywhere. It's a pity they invited comparison to one of the most fun zones in DaS, all the more so because DaS2 was really lacking in a good skeleton zone. There's some good moments in Carthus (the collapsing bridge and path to demon ruins are fun, the first time you encounter Wolnir is an amazing aw poo poo moment that left me really disappointed when you find out that instead of being dropped into Tomb of Giants 2.0 you just need to beat up a couple of bracelets), but most of it feels empty and ugly. I don't know how to feel about the area design in this game, for every gigantic awesome zone like Irithyll or the Cathedral there's perfunctory boss-only zones like AL or the Capital, and a lot of the time the areas that connect these big, set-piece levels are suffering from DaS2-style tunnel vision where the zone is basically designed as a hallway to the next zone with some poo poo hanging off the side of it. Consider me unspooked.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Ometeotl posted:

I don't know why killing the green dragon's hand parasite kills it and sends the white one into a coma, I'll take it.
I arrowed the other from the bridge instead on my first playthrough and the results were mirrored.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Is the Storm-dudes main gimmick really to gently caress up my camera and then fire-breath-oneshot me from outside visual range?
Yup.

Tracula posted:

I will never, ever beat Ancient Dragon on principal alone

Then you should just look online and see the AI manipulation someone figured out. It's pretty sad how simple they made it.

Nearing the end on my Pyro. Holy ballsweat is ChampGung anti-caster! Luckily I've got a Chaos Hand Axe+9 for mobs and backup, but I wasted a good 10 minutes having casts interrupted while my intestines were ripped out by double dashes and leap strikes until I gave up trying to nuke him with Chaos Orbs.
Alternatively I hosed my stats hard and needed more points in Dex so I'd cast faster.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Invade someone as a mad spirit, pop up on one end of a bridge with the host and another mad spirit that he must have summoned. I bow, spirit bows, host backs to the side and cheers. I RP walk toward him, then make a dash...with a 90 degree angle and stab the host. Other mad spirit joins in. We both got our shackle. :unsmigghh:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Filthy Hans posted:

You can get all the gestures in one go, I've done it. Before you kill Abyss Watchers, get Sirris' emote and then go for Yellowfingers' emote. You'll break Sirris' questline but whatever. Just be sure to get all summonable npc gestures before you lock out of them by killing bosses.

Rings can't be done in one go because there are NG+/++ versions of them.
But does Sirris give the same plain Silvercat ring in NG+?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

notlodar posted:

Are you or your friend hollowed? My friend and I tried everything the internet said over the course of a week, nothing worked. Then he un-hollowed for a billion souls and everything worked everywhere continuously.

If that's not what did it, I don't know what

I don't see how that would affect it, but I'm really hoping that's not the case because it would take me 600k souls to remove the curse.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I AM BRAWW posted:

Yeah.. Hardest bosses lol.. Ancient Dragon huh?
Ancient Dragon isn't a hard fight, it's just a long and unfun fight

Shine posted:

They nailed the boss fights this time around. I love how so many of the bosses have a really cool environment (Nameless, Dragonslayer Armour and the final boss, in particular), mid-fight set piece moment (Curse-Rotted Greatwood collapsing the ground), satisfying damage effect (Wolnir's shattering rings, busting Greatwood's balls), or Mega Man-like super weakness ("Plunging attack," Yhorm, Abyss Walkers aggroing on each other, probably others I haven't seen yet). It makes those encounters feel distinct, like true "boss" encounters.
I agree with all of this except I can't say anything positive about Yhorm whatsoever. That fight is really bad because using the special weapon is the only reasonable(aka not shitballs slow) way to kill it, which makes it very one-note. every other boss you use the weapons and abilities you've been building up over the course of the game and choosing for yourself, and getting the satisfaction of using your build you've made to kill things is a big part of what makes the game fun, bosses especially because it's when you get to deal out a lot of damage. then Yhorm is just like "oh use this one specific weapon we set here for you and trivialize the boss" which is the antithesis of something like Dark Souls imo

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 24, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Walrus Pete posted:

From the weapons I've looked at, sharp is only really good if it already has decent dex scaling to begin with. A black blade starts out with D scaling, which probably means that refined or something will end up being better. To contrast, a sharp uchigatana with your stats will do a whole lot more damage than a non-infused one. And then a +5 chaos blade is way better than the uchi anyway :v:
e: though the uchi has the advantage of being buffable, which in some cases probably matters a lot.
second edit: the wiki says that the uchi has the exact same scaling as the black blade and the washing pole, so maybe I'm wrong? Either way the chaos blade is far superior when you have 40 dex and relatively low str.

what makes the Chaos Blade better than a Sharp Uchi + 10? I feel like I'm missing something because I have 40 dex and its AR is way lower

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Luceid posted:

i used a seed for the first time today in NG+ highwall and the black cancer snake that grows out of the hollow past the 2nd bonfire is a fuckin' champ to lure people into. ditto most of the lothric knights, they make a great addition to any already-complicated brawl!

In NG I was hanging out here waiting to crystal out when the host came charging over to 2 shot the thing before it transformed. I rushed out and slashed him which staggered him so his phantoms were stuck fighting that while I killed the host.

:getin:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Andrigaar posted:

Then you should just look online and see the AI manipulation someone figured out. It's pretty sad how simple they made it.

Oh I know exactly how to do the fight. I just refuse to.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
I actually liked Catacombs. It was definitely very linear, but had some good variety in verticality going on. A fantastic invasion place, no less. Tons of potential for specced/leveled novelty invader builds. Saw someone using Obscuring Ring and Greatbows to knock people off ledges with impunity. The bridge is an obvious one, but everything deals bleed damage, so if you don't like being "too clever" with the build, you can always get in there with grave warden blades and help the skeletons get some blood.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with Catacombs.

But, Demon Ruins is incredibly weak coming immediately out of catacombs. "Demon Ruins"? It's literally catacombs part 2, but with a slightly different design philosophy of being more labyrinthine. I think there's like 1 single room that gives any indication of being a 'unique' and distinctly belonging to demons, else it is LITERALLY the catacombs tileset.

And that is after the great setup immediately after that whole ballista and guardian you have to deal with in smoldering lake to even get into the place. Something that despite being kinda frustrating was really impressive and imposing. There is some interesting lore going on, I guess, but when finally get in there you're greeted with the same wall tile from the previous zone, and one new NPC type. What?

Now, I liked it well enough in isolation: felt very much like a prototypical dungeon crawler from the days where we would pull out the graph paper. I just wish they did something with the 'tileset'. Else, they are both relatively weak zones when compared to things like Cathedral of the deep, but in both cases they're not any worse than most anything out of DS2. Catacombs was actually pretty good by that stand. :v:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
My red orb experience so far;

code:
A connection error has occurred. Returning to your world
Are players just gigantic pussies or what?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

code:

Yes. Also 3 goldbros will await you.

Has anyone tried to keep Knight Hodrick alive? Is there any point to not doing that bossfight?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vermain posted:

I will say that I prefer DS1 and DS2's overall aesthetic to DS3's. DS3 is drinking far too heavily from the Bloodborne bottle for my tastes, and it ends up garishly clashing in tone throughout the game in places. The desaturated look really started to get to me after a while, too. Never did I think I would've been wishing to see the bright, sickly greens of Harvest Valley again, but I'd rather stare at that place than Farron Keep any day of the week.

bloodborne is the best game ever made tho.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
After 23 deaths I finally defeated NK! I could barely make a dent with my Uchigatana so I respec'd and pegged him from afar with crystal soul spears (which incidentally turn the first phase into a cakewalk). It was still tense, but much easier than fighting up close, which was just too much for me.

Also, the crystal soul spear seems like the only sorcery worth a darn. Everything else I've tried does piddle damage, especially in PvP.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

Ancient Dragon isn't a hard fight, it's just a long and unfun fight
I agree with all of this except I can't say anything positive about Yhorm whatsoever. That fight is really bad because using the special weapon is the only reasonable(aka not shitballs slow) way to kill it, which makes it very one-note. every other boss you use the weapons and abilities you've been building up over the course of the game and choosing for yourself, and getting the satisfaction of using your build you've made to kill things is a big part of what makes the game fun, bosses especially because it's when you get to deal out a lot of damage. then Yhorm is just like "oh use this one specific weapon we set here for you and trivialize the boss" which is the antithesis of something like Dark Souls imo

It's just the gimmick encounter of the game, and compared to Demon's Souls, that's a pretty good standard if it is basically the only gimmick encounter. Maybe 1/4rd of the bosses in Demon's Souls were a sort of "do it the correct way or don't do it at all". In fact, almost all of the end-tier bosses were gimmick encounters in that game. The point rather is I think it depends on setting the stage. Dragon God is dumb and tedious, but worked better than Bed of Chaos. Storm King relied entirely on the spectacle, but it still worked. Maiden Astraea was easily one of the best, and is actually a great example of how some of the 'checklist' style of content Miyazaki sometimes seems to defer to just falls through. Look at Farron Keep. It's DS3's Valley of Defilement, but it basically comes without anything that made Valley of Defilement as a location and the concluding gimmick boss encounter at the end of it all REALLY loving awesome and good. It's just the "here's the level where you move slow as poo poo and get poisoned", relying on a single easter egg to somehow make the player give a poo poo about a not-fun level. I'd almost give it a pass if literally the same dumb thing wasn't already done a second time in DS1. It reeks of "you remember this?!", as if what made Valley of Defilement memorable was how tedious and dumb the gameplay was.

So in this case, I don't think the problem is in whether or not it is a gimmick boss. It's whether or not the pieces come together for some sort of neat encounter that the player can take as a story beat that will be memorable, even if it doesn't really have anything to add to future playthroughs.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

code:

It's the best when you connect as a lone red phantom and then see 1 or 2 "phantom soandso has left" before that message shows up. They can pussy out even with a vast numerical advantage.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I just got invaded while un-ember'd, I'm guessing the game started freaking out from me using the dried fingers too much.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

farron keep was a cakewalk compared to similar areas in the other games i have no idea how i'm seeing so many complaints about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

It's never fun to be forced to slowly walk through an area, and it's a huge area with lots of drops so people feel obligated to scour every inch of it and it sucks. That being said it's way less offensive than lower blighttown or valley of defilement.