Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man, just started and this parry timing is fuckin' weird. I'm having an embarrassing amount of trouble trying to parry these beginner enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Is it just me, or does it feel like you earn souls a lot more slowly this time around? That lady in Firelink has a neat key for sale that I'm sure leads somewhere fun, but man 20k souls is steep right now. I tried helping people out on the second boss after I beat it, but it was giving me like 700 souls or some pathetic amount.

This game is really, really awesome, though. I'm super bad at parrying right now - should have gone back to DS1 / 2 for a bit of practice I guess.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Krinkle posted:

Did you just come from DS2 scholar edition? Because they loving quadrupled your souls gains for no reason. The base game, and DS1, were both comparable to this, I feel.

That and Bloodborne, but I've been in the endgame of that for so long that I can't even remember what the early situation was like. You're probably right, and it's been a long time since I've played DS1. That's crazy though, I had no idea they did that for Scholar.

The 20k price tag is probably a sign that I shouldn't be buying this key yet, but what the hell is the point of these games if not to make poor choices and get smashed to bits.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Heads up for people looking to trade items with the crow, you can bypass the Tower Key by jumping at an angle off of the white tree in front of the locked tower and onto the roof of the shrine. There's a second nest in the rafters, and there's also an Estus Shard up there. There are still some very good items that you can't get without the key, but being able to trade from the moment you step into Firelink is kinda nice if you don't want to save up that many souls early in the game.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

GodspeedSphere posted:

Only chase the Sage that fires the blue magics. Dark damage magics come from his clones. I've always been able to press him as soon as he does the clones and get him in two cycles.

If that doesn't help you may be hosed.

Other way around, actually. The real sage uses purple magic, all the clones use blue. That being said, you still probably want to kill the clones because they do almost as much damage and they spam spells like crazy.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

White Phosphorus posted:

I got invaded by a blue phantom in the forest that had no name. Was it a person or an AI I seriously couldn't tell.

If this is the "Watchdog of Farron," I'm honestly not sure myself. I'm kinda curious if it's like the Old Monk DeS fight, where a random player gets summoned to take the spot or something. If it's an NPC, it's really good at imitating a real player. They were using taunts, rolling away like a crazy person, and didn't use an estus until I did. That was the point that made me wonder if it was a real person - it was basically an honor duel until I healed, then they used estus and did the "well, what is it" pose, or something close. It was also trying to bait me into the swamp.

It behaves so differently from the other NPC invasions I've come across so far that I almost can't believe it's not a real person, but I have no idea what the mechanics behind it are. I was a Bluecop at the time too, so I'm not sure what triggers the invasion.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Just found an item that unlocked a couple armor sets and :siren: titanite shards :siren: for sale from the handmaiden. It was hidden behind an illusory wall in the swamp. Brutal.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Man this PvP would be a lot more fun if it wasn't always a 2 or 3v1 gangbang. Way fewer issues with teleporting lag stabs and stuff, and the huge health debuff isn't that big of a deal, but good lord I dunno how to avoid just getting stunlocked any time there's multiple opponents. Can't block or roll out of it, even.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Appoda posted:

Where's that illusory wall? I've been looking all day for the way into the one-way room with the crystal demon -- is the illusory wall the answer?

Also, is it just me, or does the world seem to be a lot less dense with messages this time around? I see a few scrawls here and there, but hardly as many as DS1 or DS1, even long after their peak play hours.

It's in the tower where you find the Old Wolf of Farron. Go outside, you'll see a crystal lizard. The corner of the wall closest to where it spawns is illusory.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Has anyone tried a luck build yet? There seems to be a few neat items / weapons that would be fun, but on the other hand poison seems terrible and bleed feels like it takes forever to proc.

Also the Wolf covenant is so loving fun. It's the only form of PvP I've found so far where you don't just get ganged up on constantly. Pretty good mix of 1v1, 2v1, and 2v2 matches so far, and there is nothing better in the world than getting people smashed by a giant crab. That's also a really brutal area to get invaded in, because there are 2 potential Watchdogs, an NPC invader, and 2 mini-bosses, plus the crabs and deep water.

Also people get really, really mad when you spam the "Call Over" emote afterward. I do it every time and this last invasion, me and the second Watchdog broke it out at the same exact moment by pure chance. It was magical.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Rubberduke posted:

So has anyone found a reliable source for titanite shards? Right now it's just such a pain to get another weapon to +3.

If you have gotten to the Farron swamp area, there's an illusory wall hiding some ashes that unlock titanite shards at the vendor. It's in the same tower where you join the Wolf Covenant - just look for a message on the wall outside.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The one thing I wish they'd changed is making fashion souls drops a little more common. Feels like I have to murder so many enemies to get things to drop, and then there's a risk of them just being duplicates. I just want to make cool costumes :(

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Also how is "Knight" censored, when I just invaded a dude named "Ricky Dicky."

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Jose posted:

is there an ash in the swamp/cathedral that i've missed and need to go back for?

There is an ash behind an illusory wall in the Wolf Covenant tower that unlocks Titanite Shards for sale, which is a pretty big deal.

The swamp is also where a bunch of good spellcaster gear is. Crown of Dusk, 2 Scrolls, and Lingering Dragoncrest Ring so far, probably more tucked away. It seems like Crucifixion Forest and Farron Swamp are where a ton of the good caster gear is located.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there a ring that boosts casting speed in this game, and if so can you get it before Ice Town? Afraid I might of missed it.

Yep! Luckily getting it will take you all of 10 seconds. Start at the Crystal Sage bonfire. Run back down into that room full of enemies. On the left hand side, there is a hole in the floor. Drop down it and the Sage Ring is there. There's also a Crucifixion Victim down there that might try to ambush you.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

So does being cursed do anything besides kill you this time? I didn't notice any health debuff or anything.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Krinkle posted:

I got invaded by some npc invader who dropped a murakumo, then another right afterward and I'm like, two NPC invaders in a row? They moved like an NPC, just path of least resistance gap closing, but then they wiggled suggestively like a human so I think I won my first real invasion. Please don't name yourself thematically that's just weird. The name looked too long to be a user name and I got confused.

If you mean Watchdog of Farron, that's just the name given to everyone who invades as part of that particular Covenant. I wasn't sure the first time, either, and I would have thought it was just an NPC if not for the gesture use and the attempts to bait me out into the swamp to get smashed.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

This is probably a dumb question, but do I need to use an ember in order to be summoned as a Blue Sentinel? I noticed after I used one that my covenant symbol turned all fiery, and it seems to pulse once in a while, but I'm not sure what that means, exactly.

Also I feel like Blue Sentinels might already be dead on console past the very early game. At lvl 37 with a +3 weapon I've been getting zero hits in the swamp / woods, and that feels like it should be right in that ideal range for it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I just had the saddest Wolf Bro invasion ever. Came into the game with me vs. the host and 2 phantoms. They had just killing a giant crab, and the host was at the tiniest sliver of health. For some reason, he picks this moment to do a jump for joy emote. I spawn literally 5 feet away from him, sprint up and slap him with my claymore as he tries a panicked hail mary roll. I almost feel bad.

The Gorp posted:

So I'm making a low level invader now that I've beaten the game with one character. I have tongues and got the 5 red orbs from that npc but now he's just missing from firelink.
Any reason for this? How do I make him come back so I can get the key for infinite funtimes?

Have you killed the boss in Undead Settlement? That + having a tongue seems to be the trigger to bring him back.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 14, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Anyone have some tips for getting summoned as a Bluecop? I'm level 41, with a +2 Weapon (though it uses Titanite Scales, so I guess that counts as +4 for summoning?) and I've had the Blue Sentinel covenant equipped for literally hours with not a single invasion. Where the hell do I need to be hanging out to get some action? Am I underleveled? Over? What is the secret to these non-stop invasions people are talking about? I'm on PS4 too, which should be easier.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Anyone know that the trigger is to get Siegward to show up in the well? I messed up his questline on my first character and wanted to make sure I got his armor on the second, but I can't get him to show up. Do I need to meet Patches first?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Stormgale posted:

^^^ Open the main cathedral door

Flynns ring is bad in this game, don't use it.

Ah ok, this random NPC guide I found said only to go as far as the second shortcut. I assume as long as I don't fight the boss I'll be alright?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Man the AWs are so much easier with two people. Struggled on my own, but I've been sunbroing them and the last three fights we won without either person getting hit a single time. You can literally just stunlock him in a corner.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Tower key is worth it. Gets you access to a good amount of loot and also the crow trader.

Yep.

There are a few bosses where I'd say having multiple people makes them less predictable and more dangerous, and if the person is bad and dies right away it makes the fight way longer than it needs to be. But yeah, there's definitely more bosses where their AI just breaks and can't handle having multiple targets, or gets opened up to non-stop poise breaking, etc.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Just found a giant pile of dead Stray Demons :stare:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

(Smoldering Lake spoiler) Does anyone know what the deal is with the giant worm? As a melee build, I'm not sure what to do with it. It moves so fast and so randomly that I literally can't get any hits in, and every time I get close the movement animation deals damage to me. What am I missing here?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Tiler Kiwi posted:

oh apparently there's a two level threshold for online stuff

so if you have a level 4 weapon you can't invade people with level 1 or 0 gear.

and apparently storing them doesn't change this, according to hearsay.

ffffffffffffff. ive avoided gaining levels (im at last 43 or so) but all my poo poo is level 4 so having this discrepancy probably explains why the covenants never summon me.

It's a + or - 2 upgrade level range, but I feel like the majority of people playing since launch have to have at least a Level 2 weapon by now. Then again my covenant invasions have been super sparse too. I dunno what the hell people are doing, upgrade materials are really common and by the time you're in the 4th or so zone enemies are literally dropping shards like candy, even if people missed the ashes to unlock them from the vendor.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Are there no branching paths in this? I've already killed my first lord and I've not seen any alternate routes yet, getting a bit dull having only one way to go.

Depending on what you mean by "branching path" you may have missed like 60% of Undead Settlement. Technically there were two paths you could go from the Crystal Sage fight, which lead to two very different zones. I've also found quite a few hidden side areas and optional bosses so far.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Huh, so there's a second version of poison called Toxic that is actually dangerous, apparently.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

The what fight?

I explored a huge amount of undead settlement but the only way out I could find was the frozen duder under the church and I've been going on a linear path from there. I fought the cursed tree, the demon thing with sieg, gone past the archer dude's firing range and made friends with him, but it all seemed to circle round back to the church

Am I missing something else?

From the bonfire after the frozen duder, you can stick to the left and end up in a big keep with a boss fight at the end. After that, you can follow the path behind the boss area to one zone, or cross the swamp and fight a really tough battle to find a ladder leading to a second zone.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Does anyone know if Estus level has any effect on being summoned? I found a bunch of bone shards in the last area and now I've got a +6 flask even though I'm level 42 with a +4 weapon, and I'm wondering if that might somehow have something to do with the sparse covenant PvP.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Apparition posted:

Whoa what area did you find all those in? I'm at a similar level and only have a +1 so I just want to make sure I'm not blind. This game seems a lot.. shinier? than the last so I get a lot of false positives when I think I see a shiny.

I found 2 or 3 of them in the Catacombs, and pretty much every other zone has 1 that I've found so far. There's also a freebie on the roof of Firelink, which you can get to right away by jumping off of the tree on the upper level. I'm probably underleveled if anything though, I've been spending all my souls on weapons and armor and stuff.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Apparition posted:

I think we may be talking about different things, I'm good on estus shards, I need to bones to burn at the firelink bonfire to increase their effectiveness.

Ah duh, brain fart moment. I did mean bone shards, for some reason I thought the one in Firelink was bone.

There's one in the Settlement (you probably have this one), plus another in Farron swamp right after the bonfire. There's 2 more in the Catacombs and another in the Cathedral.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 15, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

RatHat posted:

So is there any way to join the Mound Makers covenant after killing the Curserotted Greatwood?

Sorry if this was asked already, I haven't been browsing the thread to avoid spoilers.

Also, does anyone have the PrimaGames guide? How is it?

Yes, but it requires you to do Sirris' questline.

Don't have the guide, but by all reports it's really lovely. Missing info (whole chapters, it sounds like?), vague advice, crappy index, etc.

Also holy poo poo I finally took down the Pontiff and that might legit be the most difficult boss in the entire series, including Bloodborne.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Wanted to join the Aldrich Faithful covenant and there are TWO of those things from the Ithyll bridge guarding it. What the gently caress.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Ugh people who invade to tag team a host and just stand off to the side waiting to have an honorable samurai duel or whatever are the drat worst. Enjoy the 1 time in 100 that you get to be on the fun side of a ridiculous gank, you goony fucks.

edit: Also, for whatever reason Blue Sentinels is totally dead for me, but Aldrich Faithful is non-stop invasion action.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Seriously people try the Aldrich Faithful covenant, it's literally the only time I've seen 1v1 PvP outside of once or twice with the Watchdogs, and it's very consistent. I'm getting no-joke non-stop invasions, and in the last 10, only 1 was a 2v1.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Orv posted:

What level are you?

50, but I think I might even be a little underleveled.

The areas where you fight are also awesome. It's basically the new Bellbros, except this time you occasionally get a chance to be a dick to someone while greatbow archers are trying to shoot them off of a rooftop.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Orv posted:

Aldritch's Faithful is non-stop pop pop, if you want some PvP that's your best shot right now it seems.

Yeah it's so active I literally had to send myself home at the beginning of a match because I didn't have time inbetween to remove my covenant item. It's nuts.

edit: Still pretty pissed off that they put Darkmoon Blade behind 30 Bluecop covenant tokens. Like holy poo poo, that's never gonna happen. I had Sentinel equipped all day and got 1 whole match. Very annoying because I actually wanted that spell. Apparently you can farm the covenant item from Silver Knights too, but god knows how lovely that drop rate is gonna be.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Mailer posted:

Is there a NG+(+++++, etc) NPC like dark2 to buy these spells from for the cheevos?

Nope! You are basically just hosed if you want those covenant items, it sounds like. People are reporting that Silver Knights drop the item like 1 in 20 times on average, and you need 30 of them. I just can't believe they've managed to gently caress up Sentinels again. Why would you do the exact same thing that didn't work last time? In fact it's worse, because there's also the Darkmoons, who compete for the same invasion slots as Sentinels. Which means both covenants get to fight over the 3 people on earth wearing Way of the Blue, apparently.