Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Anyone tried Carthus Beacon to see how it changes damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

oh apparently there's a two level threshold for online stuff

so if you have a level 4 weapon you can't invade people with level 1 or 0 gear.

and apparently storing them doesn't change this, according to hearsay.

ffffffffffffff. ive avoided gaining levels (im at last 43 or so) but all my poo poo is level 4 so having this discrepancy probably explains why the covenants never summon me.

It's a + or - 2 upgrade level range, but I feel like the majority of people playing since launch have to have at least a Level 2 weapon by now. Then again my covenant invasions have been super sparse too. I dunno what the hell people are doing, upgrade materials are really common and by the time you're in the 4th or so zone enemies are literally dropping shards like candy, even if people missed the ashes to unlock them from the vendor.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

TopHatGenius posted:

So what seems to be the most OP abused weapons right now? I'm not taking about Farons's Greatsword because that poo poo gets outclassed fast. I'm using a Heavy Dark Sword. It has the AR of Greatsword with me being able to attack 6 times in a row.

You could try this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8Yj_pCthek

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

RBA Starblade posted:

It's really great when it's working, the problem is it's mostly not.

What? I've been an Aldritch Faithful scumbag for a few hours, a Farron Watchdog, a Blue Sentinel, and other stuff for a few hours each... and no issues here on PC. What isn't working about it for you?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Oh man I had just been using this thing to make people get away from me in 3v1s but this changes everything.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Anybody on PS4 have the Broadsword they can toss my way? It seems I accidentally sold it when cleaning out my inventory of drops, and I had Plans for it. :(

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I'm a pyromancer and want a different damage type on my melee weapon. Is dark a good build?

Does it still scale with faith/int?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Orv posted:

If you do Siegward's quest line and don't tell Patches he'll show back up after Pontiff.

What entails finishing Siegward's quest? I helped him kill the demon, did I have to do something after that?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

TopHatGenius posted:

So what seems to be the most OP abused weapons right now? I'm not taking about Farons's Greatsword because that poo poo gets outclassed fast. I'm using a Heavy Dark Sword. It has the AR of Greatsword with me being able to attack 6 times in a row.

ive been rolling with a rapier and a lucerene hammer. ive mostly been using the hammer as a 2h weapon; its strong attack blows but the regular attack can swing a lot and really seems to ruin both poise and anyone dumb enough to try to block it with a shield (where it tends to stagger them on the second hit). the overhead swing on it has nice range and also tracks people that roll pretty effectively, especially the ones that try to roll around you in circles. it doesn't really do enough damage though and since both its 2h strong swing and its special are real lackluster and using with a shield is pretty meh every time ive tried, and lacks a good long poke to get fuckers that try to use estus, so ive been thinking about changing to a more proper weapon. was thinking of going with one of the dual wielding sets since blocking in PVP is pretty suicide anyways.

the rapier has seen some action but it just doesn't have the range and it doesn't track people rolling very well. it can be nice when you catch them and stunlock them, but poo poo, the hammer does that too and destroys them if they block as well.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's a + or - 2 upgrade level range, but I feel like the majority of people playing since launch have to have at least a Level 2 weapon by now. Then again my covenant invasions have been super sparse too. I dunno what the hell people are doing, upgrade materials are really common and by the time you're in the 4th or so zone enemies are literally dropping shards like candy, even if people missed the ashes to unlock them from the vendor.

pubbies bad.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm never going to beat this game because I can't stop pvping in the crab lagoon

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

What entails finishing Siegward's quest? I helped him kill the demon, did I have to do something after that?

Yes. Once you reach the Cathedral of the Deep 2nd bonfire, he will be trapped in a well just outside the building. Going back up to the top of Firelink (behind the 20,000 soul key door,) will get you locked in there by Patches. Patches has all of Siegward's armor and you need to buy it all for a total of like 14,000 souls. If you do this, Siegward will save Greirat in Irithyll.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are there no branching paths in this? I've already killed my first lord and I've not seen any alternate routes yet, getting a bit dull having only one way to go.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Are there no branching paths in this? I've already killed my first lord and I've not seen any alternate routes yet, getting a bit dull having only one way to go.

Depending on what you mean by "branching path" you may have missed like 60% of Undead Settlement. Technically there were two paths you could go from the Crystal Sage fight, which lead to two very different zones. I've also found quite a few hidden side areas and optional bosses so far.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

a cop posted:

Does faith get good for anything other than extra heals later in the game? All of the early offensive stuff seems to suck rear end!

At SL125 with around 55 faith and the right rings, sunlight spear hits for 1500-2000 and regular lightning spear hits around 1k (both close range). If you aren't aware, offensive lightning miracles do about twice as much damage if you're in melee range.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Gnumonic posted:

At SL125 with around 55 faith and the right rings, sunlight spear hits for 1500-2000 and regular lightning spear hits around 1k (both close range). If you aren't aware, offensive lightning miracles do about twice as much damage if you're in melee range.

:eyepop: Guess I know what my next guy will be

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

cathedral of the deep is loving video game vietnam. the entire run from the starting bonfire, up through the maggot graveyard, up across the entire roof of the building, down into the chapel, and far enough in that you can find an elevator that loops you back to the bonfire you started at was supremely unfun. it was just a boring checklist of bullshit:

did you bring a bow and x99 arrows?
are you willing to move forward in zoom mode 1 inch at a time, scouring the underside of every wall and tower and archway to make sure you're picking off the gremlins before they drop on you?
hey it was a pretty cool surprise when they did that a few times in the undead village right, so it must be super cool if we do it every 10 feet of the loving roof of this castle!
literally every enemy that is visible has between 1 and 4 buddies positioned in such a way that no camera angle will reveal them on approach, but trust us they're waiting for you. this is tactic is never not used, so it's never actually a surprise, and it never messes with your expectations, because it happens with every encounter.
seriously, if you think you're going to move faster than a methodical crawl, joke's on you! a shield is optional, because there's enough trash monsters here to stamina drain you anyway.
BONUS: none of the loot is noteworthy or even worth risking the effort to take. we've made sure of that!

lesbian at Evergreen
Aug 9, 2006

(Smoldering Lake spoiler) Does anyone know what the deal is with the giant worm? As a melee build, I'm not sure what to do with it. It moves so fast and so randomly that I literally can't get any hits in, and every time I get close the movement animation deals damage to me. What am I missing here?

Ez Mode: From the bonfire, stand behind the boulder just to the right of him walk away from your screen and let the ballista kill it

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

:eyepop: Guess I know what my next guy will be

I always like to try and roll a Jolly Co-Operator first time but I've wasted so many levels on not-miracles and attunement that I'm getting worried I'll miss out this time.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

(Smoldering Lake spoiler) Does anyone know what the deal is with the giant worm? As a melee build, I'm not sure what to do with it. It moves so fast and so randomly that I literally can't get any hits in, and every time I get close the movement animation deals damage to me. What am I missing here?

shoot it real good with big arrows

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

homeless poster posted:

cathedral of the deep is loving video game vietnam. the entire run from the starting bonfire, up through the maggot graveyard, up across the entire roof of the building, down into the chapel, and far enough in that you can find an elevator that loops you back to the bonfire you started at was supremely unfun. it was just a boring checklist of bullshit:

are you willing to move forward in zoom mode 1 inch at a time, scouring the underside of every wall and tower and archway to make sure you're picking off the gremlins before they drop on you?
hey it was a pretty cool surprise when they did that a few times in the undead village right, so it must be super cool if we do it every 10 feet of the loving roof of this castle!
literally every enemy that is visible has between 1 and 4 buddies positioned in such a way that no camera angle will reveal them on approach, but trust us they're waiting for you. this is tactic is never not used, so it's never actually a surprise, and it never messes with your expectations, because it happens with every encounter.
seriously, if you think you're going to move faster than a methodical crawl, joke's on you! a shield is optional, because there's enough trash monsters here to stamina drain you anyway.
BONUS: none of the loot is noteworthy or even worth risking the effort to take. we've made sure of that!

I beat it without cheesing after 2 or 3 deaths.

Can anyone confirm if dark is a good weapon attribute?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I was practicing parrying against master hanzo and I somehow managed to land a parry against a blow that did damage to me :psyduck:

EDIT: Cathedral of the Deep was easy for me, didn't die once, but I was overlevled for it since I'd done everything up to Smouldering Lake before going to it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ok I"m taking a break because goddamn that area was just brutal.

Spoilers of course.

Manage to find that dragon area and hooooly poo poo jesus is it brutal. Those goddamn snake are a pain in the rear end with the schotel or whatever it's called. I killed the boss (it was more of a puzzle fight but it was fun) and then next area is just some rear end in a top hat who keeps summoning drakeblood knights who hit really drat hard. After all that I find those crystal lizards big bros (not the big titan) who spew out fire. And another goddamn dragon who flies and trys to torch my rear end. I make it all the way through only to find another rear end in a top hat summoner and I lose to a naked guy with a rapier and a crown. Haha.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Shindragon posted:

Spoilers of course.

Manage to find that dragon area and hooooly poo poo jesus is it brutal. Those goddamn snake are a pain in the rear end with the schotel or whatever it's called. I killed the boss (it was more of a puzzle fight but it was fun) and then next area is just some rear end in a top hat who keeps summoning drakeblood knights who hit really drat hard. After all that I find those crystal lizards big bros (not the big titan) who spew out fire. And another goddamn dragon who flies and trys to torch my rear end. I make it all the way through only to find another rear end in a top hat summoner and I lose to a naked guy with a rapier and a crown. Haha.

that is probably the hardest area in the game, i think. it's absolutely brutal the entire way

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

homeless poster posted:

What? Lemme check on your checklist:

Nope.
Who would do this?
It's not supposed to be a surprise, that comes later, once you are inside.
If you aren't capable of killing these guys fast enough that they don't build up on you, you hosed up. Go upgrade something. You can ignore the entire graveyard and just run through it. The only part that is remotely hard is when there are two grave wardens (dual curved sword enemies) in one small place, and even then, just aggro one at a time?
This one is true.

I think you can summarize that in two words, both start with g.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Shindragon posted:

Spoilers of course.

Man, Ricard been going through some weird times, don't hate him for letting it all hang out.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Caidin posted:

Man, Ricard been going through some weird times, don't hate him for letting it all hang out.

If that is him, I will gladly enjoy that weapon drop.

Well mostly because

When i went to the graveyard area aka the champion one where the game is like hey someone tried to link the fire before DUN DUN DUN, I fought a dark spirit (NPC) who was using the rapier and I'm like yes RICARD'S rapier, she's gonna drop it.. Ah drat it she didn't drop it.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Also I was exploring the ruins under the Souldering lake when I encountered a funny man, with a funny sword. "holy gently caress" I said to myself, "thats the loving FUME KNIGHT SWORD"

I died several times. But I got that loving sword. Its mine now bitch

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Huh, so there's a second version of poison called Toxic that is actually dangerous, apparently.

Myrdraayl
Apr 13, 2011
I now know why I couldn't get any wolf bro going on it was because everyone was at their older brother's place.

Myrdraayl fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 15, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depending on what you mean by "branching path" you may have missed like 60% of Undead Settlement. Technically there were two paths you could go from the Crystal Sage fight, which lead to two very different zones. I've also found quite a few hidden side areas and optional bosses so far.

The what fight?

I explored a huge amount of undead settlement but the only way out I could find was the frozen duder under the church and I've been going on a linear path from there. I fought the cursed tree, the demon thing with sieg, gone past the archer dude's firing range and made friends with him, but it all seemed to circle round back to the church

Am I missing something else?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The what fight?

I explored a huge amount of undead settlement but the only way out I could find was the frozen duder under the church and I've been going on a linear path from there. I fought the cursed tree, the demon thing with sieg, gone past the archer dude's firing range and made friends with him, but it all seemed to circle round back to the church

You missed a branching path in Road of Sacrifice with a whole other fairly large area.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

You missed a branching path in Road of Sacrifice with a whole other fairly large area.

Ah, OK. Which part of that area should I look in?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Ah, OK. Which part of that area should I look in?

Crucifix bonfire and don't go into the swamp. There's a ruined castle and a boss fight very near by that leads to a new area.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Hello

My friend helped me clear an area and defeat a boss (using a password via the network), and now when I attempt to do the same for him, he doesn't see my sign anymore. I'm embered, he is as well, he's level 27 and I'm level 25. I've defeated the area boss, he has not. Need help.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Crucifix bonfire and don't go into the swamp. There's a ruined castle and a boss fight very near by that leads to a new area.

Ah OK, I did explore that bit but I think I got beat up in one particular room so I tried the other way, and I kind of thought I'd circled round behind the place I got beat up, so I didn't bother going back.

The geography is really confusing sometimes.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I sure enjoy the "Framerate issues detected, no online for you, returning to main menu, start the whole program over rear end in a top hat" feature going off real easy sometimes. I get like 50-60 FPS constant for 90% of my play, but sometimes the obvious little stage transition bits (Small bridge that's the only way out of and into X area) will just tank my frames down to powerpoint mode for a minute, not even consistently, sometimes they will and sometimes the very same one won't, then it goes bananas and welp you might as well have crashed game, it would've been quicker.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

The what fight?

What are you referring to by the Demon thing with the sieg ? I'm having trouble placing what this is or if I missed it?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

NESguerilla posted:

What are you referring to by the Demon thing with the sieg ? I'm having trouble placing what this is or if I missed it?

Did you meet up with onionbro 2.0? If yes, the elevator they were by has like a mid-point while going up you can jump off at too, you do that and find them sitting on a ledge lookin at a fuckhuge monster in the near distance that you can run down to fight and they come back you up.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The forest is an awesome place to farm tongues because if you ever got caught in a situation where it's 1v2 or 1v3 and they refuse to come out after you you can just wait a minute or two for watchdog reinforcements and duke it out in a team battle :hellyeah:

e: Also using the red eye orb in the forest is INSTANT. Like zero wait from the second you use it. Best dark souls ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

The what fight?

From the bonfire after the frozen duder, you can stick to the left and end up in a big keep with a boss fight at the end. After that, you can follow the path behind the boss area to one zone, or cross the swamp and fight a really tough battle to find a ladder leading to a second zone.