Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://gfycat.com/PassionateTameDoctorfish not mine, sorry if posted already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
there's always an optimal way to play souls games, choosing to play and succeed in suboptimal ways is almost the whole point for a large % of players i think

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Vermain posted:

Right, but you can still have builds that are suboptimal without also massively increasing the difficulty curve if the game is designed well. It was more challenging to use an ultra greatsword in DS2 than a two-handed Estoc with the Stone Ring, but you could still get through the game reliably due to constant Poise breaking and the pace of attacks (with a few exceptions like the aforementioned hammer guardians). Meanwhile, accidentally swinging a Zweihander when a redeye Lothric Knight decides to do their hyper armor attack in DS3 is going to leave you with a deficit of about 900 HP. It sucks and is awful.

meh, ds3 is the best game on any platform in a long time for me

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You should play Bloodborne and be blown away then.

didn't like bb that much. it's just taste

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i'd be really happy if demon's souls got the sotfs treatment. not likely to ever happen, but it would be so fun

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
do ps4 people have bad autosummoning issues too?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Brainamp posted:

So what's the point of the wax in the Library? Dipped my head in just cause it was there and didn't really notice anything special.

It makes you immune to the book hands

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Do pyro spells scale off int or just pyro reinforcement and rings?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i tried to set up a game for the usurpation ending. i got the levels from Yoel til he died but I don't have any Dark Sigils in my inventory. Did I do something wrong or is this inconsequential to the ending?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Tamayachi posted:

Did your character turn into beef jerky before Yoel died?

o yeah

thx for the replies above, i forgot key items existed

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

No flip-ninja ring? :saddowns:

"replaced" by the ghost roll ring (which doesn't do much . . .)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Kanos posted:

Huge weapons have awesome poo poo like pancake and uppercut attacks that absolutely gently caress over many enemies in ways that light weapons can't; as an example, Abyss Watchers can be chain-pancaked by a BKGA or chain-uppercutted by a BKGS so they never actually get to attack, which is superior even to staggering them with straight sword flailing. Similarly, many bosses have very narrow "attack me now" windows where single powerful swings get a bit more value. Some enemies even have special reactions to being hit by big rear end weapons; the torturer shitheads with the HP drain gaze in the dungeon get knocked backwards and onto their rear end by great weapon hits, which means their gaze isn't affecting you while they're down and you can finish them before they get up. This makes clearing that retarded room with 20 of them way easier than with a one hander and means you don't need to range cheese it.

You absolutely can trade blows with enemies as it is right this instant, great weapons have monster poise frames. I've poised through being hit by Sulyvahn's orange sword slams and through being smashed by the giant man serpent axes, it's just a matter of knowing when the armor frames start on your particular weapon.

this is all cool but his original complaint was very specifically about pvp so i think you guys arej ust talking past each other

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is that patch out now, or coming out today? There's an awful lot it doesn't mention, like autosummons . . . hopefully some stuff is just not in the notes

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

double nine posted:

notched whip vs regular whip, what's the verdict? Stat-wise it seems like notched is inferior to the regular one but maybe I'm missing something?

believe notched has built-in bleed proc

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
akbf;lkhf;

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Fal-Cone posted:

I had a weird thing happen a couple days ago while co-oping with ~MY GIRLFRIEND~ in Lothric Castle.

We were walking around near the door that leads to the Sunlight shrine in front of the Dragonslayer Armor boss fog when we suddenly hear something screech and die. "HEIR OF FIRE DESTROYED" appeared on both of our screens. I looked over at the bridge where the fight goes down and one of those skinny dragon-things was hanging out up there. Then I got booted out with an ember and sunlight medal.

tl;dr we got a free boss fight and I don't know what the gently caress happened :shrug:

in today's patch notes it says "fixed a bug where [that boss] could die before you engage it"

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Jose posted:

I've beaten the dancer and stuck the skulls etc on the thrones in firelink shrine. I can't see where to go next though. I've talked to people at firelink shrine but none said where to go next as far as i could tell

did you put something on every throne? if yes then you need to talk to the Firekeeper i think. if no then you need to go to the High Wall and find another boss. here's a spoilery progression chart:

e: i forgot about the statue behind dancer, ignore what i said where applicable

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Bleh Maestro posted:

Cross posting this since it's a technical issue but just wanted to see if this is a thing that has happened to anyone or heard of:

This morning I woke up and my PS4 was making some weird noises (something in the disc drive). It's made them before though so I don't know if this has anything to do with it but since this morning it won't read my DS3 disc and I can't launch the game. I hadn't touched the game since I first put it in my system so it's not damaged or anything but I took it out and cleaned it with a microfibre cloth and everything. Put it back in and still gives the "unrecognized disc" or "no disc inserted" error. I went ahead and tried every other game I own, and all of those discs are working (bloodborne, uncharted, battlefield). I tried DS3 again and still nothing.

I assumed it HAD to be a defective disc so I took it back to the store and got a new one. Well, guess what, I came back and stuck the brand new disc in and it won't read.

Anyone have any ideas where I should go from here before completely wiping my system, taking it apart or buying a new one?

i'm assuming it'sj ust a bad bluray drive, you can get a replacement on ebay prob (or send it to sony if money is no object/it's under warranty)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i wish you could snapshot objects in your body because there's nothing funnier to my stupid rear end than running around with a greatarrow right through my character's skull

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Where do you get the morning star in this game, anyway

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Kiggles posted:

Handmaiden sells it after giving her the Paladin Ashes (on the road to Cathedral of the Deep)

cool, thanks

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

lite_sleepr posted:

I probably shouldn't worry about min/maxing to death and just play with what looks cool and what I like c/d

c, you will have more fun and carefree times

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Bardeh posted:

The message said 'Bonfire?'

Is there a reason they're so close together?

it's possible someone had a bug where the bonfire didn't show up but even that is probably reading too much into it

people just like to post silly messages like on here :shobon:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Bardeh posted:

No, I mean the message mirrored my thoughts - why the hell is there a bonfire here when there's one literally in view with no enemies between the two???

oooooohh i get it. yeah i don't know, i had that thought a couple times in my first playthrough

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Jade Mage posted:

I think it's interesting to note it's not just poise on armor that's busted, but actual absorption. My full black knight set still can't take a punch from anything without gimping me insanely.

from what i saw it seemed to work for some things but not others. i would get hit for like 50-100 by some attacks that used to do 250-300 in the early game, but no matter how much resist/absorb i had, the knights in LC that enchant their own weapons would hit me for like 700

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

thrown right in the toilet where he belongs

(apologies if that's you)

e: hey that patch that was announced yesterday--is it out yet?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

StrangeAeon posted:

Combed the dungeon agan, and I'm still finding a few locked doors, no pcs, and I have yet to find a path to the giant's feet. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

if you're in irithyll dungeon, from the bonfire: run straight to the 3-way intersection, a jailer will be in front of you (slightly to the right if you're rushing). kill him and go down the hall to the right, all the way to the end. there's a door you'll need a key for. go out that door and drop down three levels to kill a guy sleeping next to a pillar. dodge crossbow bolts and kill the other two undead in the open. there's a mimic in the next room. go up the stairs in the mimic room and on the right will be a doorway through which you can see the sleeping giant's arm. drop down there, you won't wake him.

i think the key is this one http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Jailbreaker's%20Key

emdash fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 26, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

JetsGuy posted:

Is there any way to stop that insta kill attack where you get snapped up in their jaws?

Nailing them in he nose a few times opens them up for a visceral. The key seems to be not getting too scared of staying in front of them. And of course, rolling well

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Under the vegetable posted:

I don't know. Why is it fun to play, to you? Because, to me, it's not fun to play, because of a ton of extremely poor balance, bad hitboxes, weapon tracking, level, enemy, and world design i dislike, a plot that is extremely generic fantasy for this series that i dont care about, bad animations, encounter design, etc. i dont know. to me, everything about that game comes together to make something that is lesser than the sum of its parts, and the individual parts aren't even good. i can't enjoy a game just because it has a slightly better interface and you can run up ladders.

if you think the game is fun because its easier or whatever, or "PVP is better", thats fine. i just wish people wouldn't get so defensive and scream "ITS A GOOD GAME ITS THE BEST GAME ACTUALLY" when some people say they dont like it and have tons of detailed reasons why, reasons that have been exhaustively covered by many people many times. its ok for both people to have opinions and we don't have to fight like this. when someone says "i dont like dark souls 2" you can just think "ok nbd" instead of having people come out of the woodwork every time to go "ACTUALLY its a great game and the best dark souls :smug:" much like i can just say "nbd" to myself when someone offhandedly mentions enjoying the game, outside of some ridiculous edition war context

This is SA, when you care this much people are gonna make posts just to trigger you. Have a relax and play a game you enjoy :shobon:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.darksouls.jp/information.html regulation 1.06 info

sweet google translate action:

code:
We received your patronage the From Software than daily Thank you very much.

DARK SOULS Ⅲ Niokimashite (PlayStation4 / Xbox One / Windows),
    We are planning the delivery of a new regulation ver1.06 to adjust the game balance.

[Date]
        2016 April 28 (Thursday) delivery schedule
    [Platforms]
        PlayStation4, Xbox One, Windows
    [Items that are the main modifications and adjustment]

Pledge "sword of Kratky", adjust the matching level width of the "blue of the guardian"
            Adjust the performance of the "dagger" category
            Performance adjustment of the "double-sword" category
            Adjust the performance of the "magic" category
            Other modifications of some of the balance adjustment and the failure phenomenon

After this latest regulation applies, each version representation of the title upper left corner of the screen will be as follows.
    App Ver 1.04
    Regulation Ver 1.06

To everyone we apologize for the inconvenience, thank you kindly about your note.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

bewilderment posted:

People in this thread were talking about Pontiff Sulyvahn as if he's a super hard Artorias-like boss but he's actually super easy most of the time? I beat him solo and unembered on my second try.

1. Equip good shield with 100% phys resist and decent fire resist. I picked up a Lothric Knight Shield and upgraded it to +3 for kicks, but anything will probably do.
2. Buff your weapon if you feel like it.
3. Run towards him. Block or dodge out of the way of his first attack and don't get hit by it like I did both times.
4. Keep your shield up and circle around him anticlockwise like you're playing Dark Souls 1. Take minor chip damage from fire.
5. Hit him once or twice after he swings.
6. Run away a little bit when he's doing his phase two transformation.
7. When he starts summoning a phantom, mash R1 on him.
Repeat steps 4 and 5, and 7 as appropriate, until you win.

That's it, that's all it takes.
I keep trying to sunbro for him and running into hosts summoning three phantoms, which on PS4 is awful because the particle effects everywhere means that everyone gets slowdown and gets taken out and Sully ends up with a ridiculous amount of health. He's literally easier either solo or with a single ally.

Using a shield smdh

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

poptart_fairy posted:

Wasn't until NG+ I realize why Greirat wants you to get the ring to the woman he mentions.

She's described as old. The ring staves off death for people who are near it.

:saddowns:

that hadn't occurred to me. nice

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Feenix posted:

several hundred posts behind... any ETA or response re: fixing what the patch broke?

there's a regulation update tomorrow but i'm not sure if it would impact

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

lite_sleepr posted:

Should I care about the cathedral event?

I'm currently trying to fight the giant rotted cursed tree at level ~33. Have I irrevocably hosed my game? Should I try farming in some areas until I catch up to the level I should be for the area I'm in?

no you're actually pretty high level for that boss I think, keep on truckin'

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Kanos posted:

Actually, many bosses are crushingly terribly weak to bleed and it trivializes them completely! Pick a decently fast bleed weapon(Carthus Curved Sword, Insert Katana Of Choice Here, Warden Twinblades are all good examples), apply Carthus Rouge(this part is vitally important because it buffs bleed gain immensely), hit the boss a bunch, laugh your loving rear end off as you literally skip entire boss phases because the boss is busy shrieking and spraying blood everywhere like a victim in a slasher movie.

Oceiros and the Twin Princes in particular fall apart almost instantly to this.

and pontiff, judging from the speedrun segment i saw

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Tenzarin posted:

The greatwood tree is the closest boss they have made to the gaping dragon, where you can coop and lead lame heroes to defeat their bosses. The anime bosses are all pretty lame.

nope

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
is 1.06 not out on PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Your Computer posted:

Having gone through the game a few times now I'm aching for some background entertainment, and I loved watching DS2 streams/LP's back when I did a ton of runs in that game. Does anyone have any recommendations for DS3 LPs/streams? I've watched Lobos Jr's current stuff and EnB's ongoing LP, but considering how popular this game is there has to be more out there.

https://www.twitch.tv/elajjaz