Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
In Dark Souls the more simple something is, the more dangerous they are. Big things with 50 legs and weird tendrils are chumps, but cute mushroom people hit like trucks and giant hand babies will eat you alive.

That's why the top of the food chain is just some dude that dodgerolls and stabs you in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Has anyone tried seeing if the second chance miracle will let you survive a fatal fall onto valid geometry?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shannow posted:

I'm in the 130's and was getting summoned all the frickin time for Farron today whilst I was out in the Boreal valley.

How frequently were you being summoned? It's honestly hard to tell what covenants are actually working at what levels with how garbage the invasion queue in this game appears to be.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Shannow posted:

I'm in the 130's and was getting summoned all the frickin time for Farron today whilst I was out in the Boreal valley.

ng+ people i assume

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm going through the game a second time to do as many of the NPC quests I can, and hopefully pick up all the sorcery spells/rings/gestures etc - on my first playthrough I got the Usurpation of Fire of fire ending - obviously I don't want to do the same this time around, but I think I have to get the Dark Sign stuff in order to gain access to particular gestures (like Dignified Bow) and spells/items - I know I can cure those, but does it clash with any other NPCs/quests and make them refuse to talk to me if I do so?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Has anyone tried seeing if the second chance miracle will let you survive a fatal fall onto valid geometry?

you can already do that by quitting out the game right before/the same time as you hear the death scream, iirc

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So to further Bluecop chat; I'm apparently one of those people that can be summoned, though not crazy often. I've been summoned maybe 15 times on my current character? Something I've noticed though is I'm always summoned to a zone I'm near. Not necessarily the one I'm in, but it has to be close by. When I was in Irthyll, I only got summoned there. When I teleported to Farron Keep to pick up some items, I got summoned to it. Later I got summoned to Smoldering Lake from the Catacombs. I've also never been summoned to an area I haven't reached on this character. So maybe location does play a factor into whether or not you get summoned?

Wondering if anyone has different experiences.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

double nine posted:

2. I'm looking for a DEX replacement for my Pontiff Knight Curved Sword - I'm getting bored of it and it's really not cutting it in the pvp department. I'm looking for a weapon with horizontal swings so no estoc, rapier or any of that thrusting crap. Yes I'm well aware of the glory of the various uchikatanas but I'm looking for something less mainstream. I'm currently in the catacombs.

I should clarify: what I liked about the pontiff curved sword is its low stamina per attack, decent damage output and the insane reach (and eye-candy) of its special attack (and in pvp early on people had a noticeable WTF reaction every time I triggered it and started backing off a bit). Looking for something similar.

You can get a Falchion from the catacombs. Make it sharp and upgrade it, and it's a really nice weapon. Hits fast, low stamina use, and good horizontal action. It's also buffable.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 26, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

And yet the comments on that video are exactly what you'd expect

And then there's this dude saying "life is about the journey" like he actually believes it

While that comment guy sounds like a real tool, he does have a point: What the people who truly want an easy mode seem to have missed is that you can make the game easier or harder on yourself pretty much at will just by how you decide to build your character or what weapons and armor you kit yourself out with. What I like about Dark Souls the most, I think, is that the game has a pretty defined level of difficulty which you can mess with in either direction however you want.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 26, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
How do you get Anri to appear in the Usurpation ending? Do you have to summon A at every opportunity?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I'm going through the game a second time to do as many of the NPC quests I can, and hopefully pick up all the sorcery spells/rings/gestures etc - on my first playthrough I got the Usurpation of Fire of fire ending - obviously I don't want to do the same this time around, but I think I have to get the Dark Sign stuff in order to gain access to particular gestures (like Dignified Bow) and spells/items - I know I can cure those, but does it clash with any other NPCs/quests and make them refuse to talk to me if I do so?

Nope. Curing the Dark Sigil will prevent you from getting that particular ending again, but actually getting Yuria to appear doesn't conflict with anyone else.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Einwand posted:

What are the more interesting zones to PvP in at lower levels anyways, I'm nearly ready to finish up my first run and try out a dramatically different setup. Any good level ranges/zones to keep in mind?

SL10-20 High Wall of Lothric

Tons of dumb action, no one has the SL to build anything so its R1 mash city. Popular with minimum level twink reds but you are much more likely to invade a host who is luring you into a gank squad or trolling in some way. Because of that however it's the absolute best range for Blue Sentinels, so get your 30 concords here and in Undead Settlement.

SL10-20 Undead Settlement

Same as above.

SL30-40 Road of Sacrifices

The earliest you can invade that won't just be an instant gank squad. The upper swamp area has lots of clear views to spot the host, environmental hazards like deep water, and some seriously mean NPCs like the crabs and Farron guardsmen. Watchdogs will frequently invade hosts as well so you can have some multicoloured battle royals.The host can beeline for the boss door if they are in the ruins already and if the host gets into Farron Keep then you should Crystal out. You should also join the Watchdogs and grind your 30 Bladegrass while you are here.

SL30-40 Cathedral of the Deep

This is my favourite invasion area. Specifically the roof before you open the first blue door because you have a ton of advantages that aren't obvious till you spring them. It's a narrow run the whole way so greater numbers of phantoms don't have an overwhelming advantage. Host and phantoms alike will get tunnel vision on you and forget about all the archers, suicidal hollows, falling thralls and butchers which you just bait them into. If the cathedral doors are open this gives you the perfect defence point which is the area the giant attacks. It won't attack you but can squash multiple phantoms easily. The host will often retreat down the elevator next to the giant to summon more phantoms, in which case you can stand at the top getting a clear view of how many there are, and jump on them in an attempt to kill, or simply retreat to the giant room. Unfortunately the zone is pretty huge and not linear at all once the host opens up a few doors inside the chapel, and can often just go get lost in the graveyard or cathedral when under threat.

SL40-50 Farron Keep

Don't invade here, it will be a boring slog. Imagine how long it takes to find and kill a fleeing host, now double it. Quickstep is required if you really want to try.

SL40-50 Catacombs of Carthus

Finding the Host can be tricky or they can escape into the boss door, but the area has amazing potential. So many environmental hazards, full of nasty skeletons, slimes, and traps. Expect to see a ton of goofy poo poo happening just because of the bone balls and rope bridge.

SL40-60 Smouldering Lake

While it might seem like a great choice, it can be depressingly frustrating most of the time. The Balista and worm make for some devastatingly powerful hazards, you can stand inside the Worm without it hurting you, but therein lies the problem, they are so strong they act as deterrents for action. It's easy to stalemate because most of the time both the host and phantoms will absolutely refuse to move near the danger zone of the Worm or Balista, no matter how many there are. The two situations you will almost always face here are either the host retreats to their bonfire and turtles up with a bunch of phantoms, or they instantly go for the boss door, which is wide open.

SL50-60 Irithyll of the Boreal Valley

I hope you like that pretty fountain next to the bonfire after the bridge because you are going to be running around it like you're in a decathlon. Now I can understand why this is a popular spot for invasions. The difficulty spike in the enemies coupled with the linear path means it's easy to trap the host into either the bridge or fountain area. But similar to Smoldering Lake this degree of oppression just causes the host to go full defense and endlessly run circles around the fountain trying to summon phantoms. You will get kills here pretty handy but doing this often is boring because rarely anything interesting or fun happens. You often just trap the host into a dual they don't want. Everything looks beautiful though.

SL50-60 Irithyll Dungeon

The bonfire between the start and end of the dungeon is one of the longest and hardest in the game. The wardens drain the hosts health to nothing so you can practically one shot them, while also linear enough so that you can follow the trail of bodies or open doors to find the host. This all sounds great, however there is a huge deal breaker....there no fog gate blocking entry into the next zone, which is the Profaned Capital.

SL60-70 Profaned Capital

Utterly terrible, easily the worst area for invasions. It's a huge hole of confusing boring nothings made even worse by sharing range with Irithyll Dungeon. You will never find the host if they choose not to be found. To top it all off it's easy to fall off ledges or into the toxic swamp, or even get trapped in places if the host has not already opening certain doors or elevators. To be honest I didn't do many invasions here because I couldn't stand it. Everything looks like dogshit.

SL60-70+ Anor Londo

Fight club central, this is where the SL80-120 pvp meta is at, and its invasion city thanks to the Aldritch Faithful. This covenant is so poo poo hot you will get instant auto invasions at any range, even as low as SL40. It's almost a joke how easy it is to kill hosts here as any invader because everything is set up to your advantage. You should wear the kittycat ring if you are invading here to quickly move from and survive the falls from the towers.

At SL40+5, you can invade anywhere between the Road of Sacrifice and Anor Londo, since the matchmaking placement is -10/2 and +30/+(5?)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vermain posted:

Nope. Curing the Dark Sigil will prevent you from getting that particular ending again, but actually getting Yuria to appear doesn't conflict with anyone else.

Okay that's great, thanks. I'll just heal it up before I finish the game this time around.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5ABelmFo9A

How are YOU going to summon ME for a fair fight, and then start using your sippy?

Not that it mattered.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Anyone on PS4 have their game crash when they step over certain summon signs or are near them?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvcljiDTwao

Skills. (Late game area spoilers, kinda)

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Anyone on PS4 have their game crash when they step over certain summon signs or are near them?

I had two crashes while trying to summon people outside a boss door in the castle. Not sure what triggered them, but both looked the same and happened when it refreshed the available signs.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jerusalem posted:

For gestures,

1. Find all npcs, talk to all.
2. Leonard, talk to him to get the 5 cracked orbs -> invade get a pale tongue and return for a gesture. Really you just have to return with a pale tongue.
3. Get 5 dark sigils to get yuri to appear, she gives a gesture.
4. Undead settlement, fight the demon with sigmond, get toast and then talk with him till he sleeps to get the sleep gesture.
5. Patches, buy the tower key, get locked in the tower, do not forgive patches for a gesture, reload area to get another gesture from him.
6. In Farron keep, go up the tower and get the ashes, turn in ashes get the darkmoon loyalty gesture from sirius.
7. In Farron keep, ember by the cave with the scroll, get invaded by yellowfinger, kill yellowfinger, give a covenant item to Rosita(this requires to join Rosita Fingers and makes sirius hostile), go back to Farron keep by the tower with slugs you can summon yellowfinger to get a gesture.
8. In Farron keep at the bonfire by the Abyss Watchers, you can summon a pale yonder spirit, you have to have 5 dark sigils to summon, get gesture.
9. Smoldering lake, get killed by or kill the NPC under the bridge by the Balista for a gesture.
10. Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, summon gothhand npc at the boss for a gesture.
11. Pray at the shrine for the Sun brothers in Lothic castle for a gesture.
12. In Road of Sacrifices, at the second bonfire talk to Anri, After Deacons of the Deep, talk to Anri at firelink shrine, In Catacombs of Carthus do not tell her where Horace went(he went to smoldering lake and went crazy), go to smoldering lake and kill Horace hes in the cave on the right. Go back to Catacombs of Carthus, Anri is now right of the wood bridge, tell them that horace is in Smoldering lake(if you didnt kill Horace he kills Anri). Now in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, At the church talk to Anri till they give you a gesture.
13. Buy 15 spells from the wizard man to get a gesture before you give him the golden scroll because he leaves after that to die in the library.

The NPC summons are the biggest missables, I'm prob missing some and I can't check the wiki at work.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 26, 2016

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Ometeotl posted:

You should have left a message.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ometeotl posted:

Accidental close-ups of horrifying faces are the best

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

The NPC summons are the biggest missables, I'm prob mission some and I can't check the wiki at work.

There's a rather convoluted one to get Proper Bow:

1. Go to Farron Keep, get invaded by Yellowfinger Heysel, and kill her.
2. Go to Rosaria and give her a Pale Tongue.
3. Summon her for the Abyss Watchers fight.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Vermain posted:

It also makes you fail Sirius's questline but its lame as hell. She also stops you from respecing intill you finish her questline or just not give a poo poo. For the NPCs you just have to summon them, you dont have to actually kill a boss with them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

parried a dude, did the critical attack, his phantom runs up behind me to wait for the animation to finish, as soon as it does, quickly turn around and ANOTHER PARRY BAH GAWD

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

They said that. Number 7.

Completely missed that one, sorry.

Has anyone experimented around with the candle catalyst from Deacons? Been considering running a low-level Sorc for invasions and was wondering if the damage was comparable to other catalysts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm following along a checklist for a completionist run but their wording is sometimes a little vague, so this all helps a bunch. :)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

nothing can stop the pain train

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Okay, I finally, finally finished out the watchdogs covenant on my 27 SL character with nothing enchanted over +2. It's taken this long to do it! Playing on PS4 with ports forwarded and cross-region matchmaking on, FYI.

I managed to get through all of the catacombs and demon ruins poo poo except the lava runs at that level with nothing higher than +2. Actually murdered ODK on my 2nd try, so that was satisfying, despite lock on and the camera being broken as poo poo. There are several areas in the game where lock on has critical failures. I was all up Old Demon King's dick the entire fight, but couldn't stay locked on at all. That got me killed the first run. The 2nd time, I was prepared. I also found that if you try to backstab the ghru sitting near the perimeter bonfire, you lose lock on and hence lose backstab.

I cleared most of Irithyll Dungeon as well. That said, the pontiff knights and those clerics with the two handed burning mace of pain just wreck my poo poo mercilessly, so that was a sign to me that I wouldn't get much further in the game without packing on more levels. I usually like to do low level runs of souls games, but this one just isn't quite working out for me. I'm not good enough to play DkS3 in the style to which I've become accustomed. The hybrid sorcery/dex build is just too cripplingly weak for the first half of the game that it's not fun to play. That really makes me sad--sorcery and spears/rapiers have been My Thing since Demon's Souls.

I did get a lot of good pvp in watchdogs. At some point I must have gotten bumped up in the queue for autosummoning, because for the past 4 days, I've gotten about 15 hits per day starting around 5 p.m. EST and going into 1 - 2 a.m. EST. Sometimes more. My partner, though, gets a bajillion hits for Aldrich, and he's like SL 63 with nothing higher than +3.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jerusalem posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm following along a checklist for a completionist run but their wording is sometimes a little vague, so this all helps a bunch. :)

I updated it but the wiki covers it in the trophy section.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vermain posted:

I imagine the intended way for this is to get invaded by Yellowfinger on the Road of Sacrifice, join the Fingers in the Cathedral, and then head on over to Farron Keep and pick her up as a summon. Still obtuse but it makes more sense that way,

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

People in this thread were talking about Pontiff Sulyvahn as if he's a super hard Artorias-like boss but he's actually super easy most of the time? I beat him solo and unembered on my second try.

1. Equip good shield with 100% phys resist and decent fire resist. I picked up a Lothric Knight Shield and upgraded it to +3 for kicks, but anything will probably do.
2. Buff your weapon if you feel like it.
3. Run towards him. Block or dodge out of the way of his first attack and don't get hit by it like I did both times.
4. Keep your shield up and circle around him anticlockwise like you're playing Dark Souls 1. Take minor chip damage from fire.
5. Hit him once or twice after he swings.
6. Run away a little bit when he's doing his phase two transformation.
7. When he starts summoning a phantom, mash R1 on him.
Repeat steps 4 and 5, and 7 as appropriate, until you win.

That's it, that's all it takes.
I keep trying to sunbro for him and running into hosts summoning three phantoms, which on PS4 is awful because the particle effects everywhere means that everyone gets slowdown and gets taken out and Sully ends up with a ridiculous amount of health. He's literally easier either solo or with a single ally.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

You should have left a message.

...poo poo.

turtlecrunch posted:

Accidental close-ups of horrifying faces are the best

You take that back, Waluigi is handsome.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Genocyber posted:

I imagine the intended way for this is to get invaded by Yellowfinger on the Road of Sacrifice, join the Fingers in the Cathedral, and then head on over to Farron Keep and pick her up as a summon. Still obtuse but it makes more sense that way,

Yeah, it only really gets complicated if you also want Sirris' gesture which is tied to getting the ashes near the wolf in Farron Keep before you join the Fingers.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

bewilderment posted:

People in this thread were talking about Pontiff Sulyvahn as if he's a super hard Artorias-like boss but he's actually super easy most of the time?

1. Equip good shield with 100% phys resist and decent fire resist. I picked up a

You are using a shield. Of course he's easy. Everyone else plays without a shield, don't act like you are the first one to do so beating with a shield. It's totally viable strategy but don't go GAWD he's not that hard when you are using the easy mode build of the game.

Some people don't play with the shield at all.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 27, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm finally getting farron invades by rushing straight there, and not upgrading my weapons, but I'm not strong enough to swing this dumb greataxe enough times to kill anyone. Hrmmm.

Also holy poo poo old lady voice is the best loving thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just got Darkmooned summoned to someone in Irithyll Dungeon who was invaded by a sunbro. Said sunbro was entirely non-aggressive and spent the entire time guiding the host through the dungeon, pointing at shortcuts, etc. Seemed like a nice enough fellow.

I ended up dying when the host hosed up and opened a mimic I was about to slash at and I got caught in the grab. :smith:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

All of a sudden I have been getting a ton of texture pop in. What would be the cause of that?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

gently caress dancer gently caress this game.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Shindragon posted:

Everyone else plays without a shield,

Almost everyone uses a shield.

Shindragon posted:

God what is with the soul community acting smug when it comes to bosses.

:grin:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Shindragon posted:

You are using a shield. Of course he's easy. Everyone else plays without a shield, don't act like you are the first one to do so beating with a shield. It's totally viable strategy but don't go GAWD he's not that hard when you are using the easy mode build of the game.

I don't get how you can call something hard when they only take 3 chaos fireballs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any reason to clear out the triple hippo hand room in Profaned Capital? Cause out of all the enemies in the game, they are the only ones I really can't stand fighting.