Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I don't think I've used the battery in my DS4 beyond the first week and realizing how ultra lovely the lifespan is. Just pick up a 10' cable from Amazon or Monoprice or something for cheap, and accept it crossing your living room/bedroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Microwaves Mom posted:

Hey all,

I'll be streaming this game Tuesday Night at 10pm CST doing a Milk Shot Challenge.

I'm going into the game completely Blind.

-Everytime I die that's 2 shots of milk I drink.
-If I die consecutively without recovering my souls I have to drink 4 shots.
-If I get invaded and die that's 3 shots NPC or Player.
-Everytime I swear that's a shot.

Also I plan on giving away a free copy of the game for playstation 4 on Friday night. So tune in for sure if you want a shot at that and for some reason haven't ordered the game yet.

Twitch stream can be found here:
https://www.twitch.tv/sadvega/

I'll drink a gallon of milk right now

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

UPS is trollin'. I woke up to a "Your Delivery Date Has Changed" email thinking fuuuuck!!! Only to open it to see my delivery window bumped later an hour. Whatever, can't really play until 5 anyway. I'm still just stoked Best Buy managed a release day delivery considering the horror stories I've read.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DarkAvenger211 posted:

In the past what were the more popular platforms for Dark Souls? I'm looking to pick the game up for either PC or PS4, but I want the platform that would most likely have more players to choose from when doing invasions/coop and stuff. I don't even know if it's possible to get concurrent player numbers for PS4 like you can with steam.

Between PC and PS4, PC is your only option. Dark Souls is a PS3 game, so that won't fly on PS4. Besides, to answer your question, the PC version is probably much more populated these days. Just look up some graphical tweaks to get it running and looking nice, and maybe a gamepad hack if it's needed (the KBM controls were totally lovely.)

Edit: you may be talking about getting Dark Souls 3; both versions should be plenty populated with co-op players.

enojy fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 12, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh hell yea... Hello! Hello! Hello! Hello!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Internet Kraken posted:

EVERYTHING IS IN THAT GODDAMNED SETTLEMENT :argh:

I like that area but the amount of stuff crammed into it is absurd. I dunno where to even begin looking for the ring. The only place I know I haven't been is the top of the tower occupied by whatever prick is firing arrows at me. No idea how to get up there either though.

It's actually on the way to him. There's an elevator to get up to him, but pay close attention to that elevator. The ring isn't far away.

Edit: thread moves too fast and most of you don't seem to care to use spoiler tags so RIP

enojy fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 13, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Harrow posted:

Not far enough for either of those. poo poo.

I believe the specific ash that unlocks titanite shards is found in the zone before the 5th(?) boss if you haven't skipped any optional bosses (Abyss Watchers). Is that even the 5th boss? I honestly lost count after a few for some reason and it's bugging the poo poo out of me. Either way, if you've fought that boss, backtrack through that previous zone (and try not to kill yourself doing so) and find dat ash.

enojy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 14, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Just a yes or no, please -- is it possible to mitigate the jailers' proximity effect on your health bar in Irithyll Dungeon? I really think I love this zone and wanna check all of it out, but these things are like twice as bad as the jailers from Latria.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fuuuuck. I spent a little time experimenting last night with head slot items, and nothing worked. That's... Well, I guess it bolsters that area's unique effect of turning you into a corner-peeking pussy.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LibbyM posted:

I'm at what I'm pretty sure is the final boss now, and I want to check which optional things I could be missing. I've done up to the Duplicate firelink shrine, and I know where Smouldering lake is, though I haven't done it yet. Other than Smouldering lake what kind of big side paths might I be missing?

Archdragon Peak, you get there by doing Path of the Dragon gesture where you find Dragon Torso Stone at Irithyll Dungeon. It's a decently big/cool zone.

You can feel free to kill the last boss if you want, though; you'll get an ending but you can put off NG+ and keep playing that playthrough like in Dark Souls 2.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Endgame spoiler, do not click unless you've beaten the game.

Is this supposed to happen? I thought it was a bug, but when I played it back, I caught some animation frames leading up to it. It being a bug would surprise me more than it turning out to be an inside joke from From, because well, you know.

https://youtu.be/41ZVQiE_OGs

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I just got to Irithyll of the Boreal Valley how far am I into the game? Half-way done?

What really sells it is that you have to fight the boss head on. You observe his movements and punish him. It feels sort of like you are playing a fighting game than an action RPG.

Yea, that's probably about halfway through, excluding optional areas.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

cheetah7071 posted:

Anor Londo is really cool. I spent a long time being terrified of that fog wall. Too bad the boss is such a chump compared to what I was expecting.

I felt this way about the majority of the bosses. It probably didn't help that I was probably somewhat overleveled for most of the game (I finished it at level 89.) Even still, the first three or four bosses were quite piddly in HP, before it was even really possible to be overleveled. Oh well, at least things should feel more appropriate in NG+. It's just a shame that lots of these bosses give a really intimidating impression, yet they go down so easily.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

So who is the waifu of this game

Is it dancer and her rear end?

Is it the Firekeeper?

Is it Wolnir?

According to my roommate, who read every ounce of the wiki a week before the game came out in the US, it is Yuria, the NPC that replaces Yoel when he dies, provided you follow his quest line prior to entering the Abyss Watchers fight. Edit: wups it's not Yuria, it's Anri.

There is a sort-of waifu situation with Sirris. If you complete her quest line, she asks to become your loyal knight or something like that, and I imagine from that point on you can summon her for bosses but idk because I didn't finish it until postgame and lol summoning for bosses.

enojy fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 18, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Krolm posted:

Trick related to mimics that most people don't know: if you chuck an undead hunter charm in front of them they will start snoring and you can just pick up the loot and move on - I got my symbol of avarice that way as well

Edit: I don't suppose this tiny patch did anything with sorcery scaling?

Or just check out the chain on the right of the chest. If it's coiling towards you, it's a mimic.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Shortest Path posted:

There were people who thought Gwyn was hard? :psyduck:

He had the most obvious telegraphed attack animation in the game for you to parry. I wiped the floor with him and I couldn't even get the Silver Knight parry timing down right.

I cannot recall a final boss in any video game being as much of a chump as Gwyn.

Parrying Gwyn wasn't common knowledge until the game had been out for at least a couple months. If you didn't know/think to try parrying him, he was suitably difficult.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

voltcatfish posted:

I think all I have left to do in the game now is beat the Nameless King

Is he the superboss I am expecting?

Kinda, at least, I'd say. It's one of the last bosses I fought and was the first to make me say, OK, this boss is hard. In fact, probably the only boss I found hard. In the end, wasn't super hard; just a good traditional Souls boss where you just gotta learn through failure.

The only boss I'd say is far and away harder is Ashen Wyvern minus the Dragon God 2.0 strat.

On an unrelated note, this is such poo poo that there are trophy items (rings, spells, etc.) tied to max level covenant rewards. I don't normally sperg about trophies but I've 100%'ed all the Soulsborne games so far, so I kinda have to. This is like Demon's Souls level of repetition and frustration.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 19, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fat Samurai posted:

Catedral of the Deep or Farron Keep? I've been purple phantoming the last 2-3 hours in the first bonfire of the Cathedral, but I guess I should eventually play the rest of the game.

Cathedral of the Deep is a big motherfucker of a zone. Then again, Farron Keep also feels like one due to the environment. I guess both are pretty big endeavors, but progression-wise, I think they intended you to go through Cathedral first.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Calaveron posted:

It's kind of a bummer that I'm missing out on every single side quest so far. I haven't ran into Squidward since the settlement, Yoel died like a neglected puppy before I could get the levels I needed, and I haven't ran into Anri again after Road of Sacrifice. Additionally, Hawkwood left after I killed the abyss watchers but then returned after I reloaded so I think something glitched there.
Can I even do Rosarito's fingers at this point? Am at Carthan Catacombs

Hawkwood goes out front at some point to mourn at a grave and leave an item behind, then comes back in at another point.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

RatHat posted:

By the way, what does the 2nd lever(one between 2 bookshelves) in Grand Archives do? I was distracted for a sec and missed it.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it moves a bookshelf near the first tub of wax to reveal a titanite slab.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

voltcatfish posted:

Then again after my dex run I will probably do some form of magic for variety purposes, just need a refresher:

Pyromancy - Very good?
Sorcery - poo poo?
Miracles - Slow to start, and then becomes good?
Dark Miracles - ???

I did the same -- who-cares-first-character turned accidental dex casul and plowed through the game. Started a pyromancer earlier tonight, killed a few bosses; feels pretty strong so far. I might even keep it honest and leave the pyro hand in the left, forsaking a shield, just so it doesn't turn into another plowfest.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Can you still summon in an area after beating its boss? I just pushed a character into NG+ and there's a whole lot of purple PvP going on at the first bonfire. Kinda want to get the 30 vertebra shackles out of the way now.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Stargate posted:

Asked earlier but got no response so I'll try again.

I'm not getting a prompt to put the twin princes ashes on the middle throne in firelink shrine. Is that a problem or do I need to do something else with them? I've filled all the other thrones with no issues.

Pretty sure it's the same deal as the other three thrones. Only thing I can think of is obvious stuff -- restarting game/system, play with your positioning. Have you tried talking to Ludleth and the Fire Keeper, just in case?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Irithyll Dungeon is only "bad" because of the jailers. That tenseness they cause actually makes it pretty rad. I don't think anything in Soulsborne games has made me that on edge since the first time I stumbled into the Dragon God fight without knowing there'd be a boss fight immediately after a boss fight.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Souls-related: NIOH (PS4) is currently in open beta until May 5th for everyone outside the US. US is expected to get it within a day or so.

If you're unfamiliar with NIOH, it's Tecmo Koei's sort-of approach to Dark Souls, but instead of high fantasy, it takes its cues from samurai/shogun/oni folklore. Has a distinct Ninja Gaiden mixed with Dark Souls vibe. Look up some videos if you're one of the three Souls fans who haven't yet heard of this game.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BillmasterCozb posted:

Is there a place where you can buy Lloyds Talismans so that I can farm the mimics for a head

I just got it last night and idk if you want it. It drains your health REALLY fast, probably 1% per second. Can't remember if it was this fast in past games.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

For the rings/sorceries/etc trophies, does anyone happen to know if they have to be collected on the same character? I'm like SL135 in NG++ getting ready to get all the NG++ rings, and just realized there's a small handful of rings/spells from covenants that I have no chance in hell getting at this level.

Or could I just farm specific enemies for covenant rep items? I think I remember someone posting about that. I flat out don't like PvP so if I can do that for all PvP-centric covenants, that'd be great.

enojy fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 30, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Steve2911 posted:

gently caress I finally beat Aldrich. It came down to both of us being at basically zero health, me having no healing items left and sprinting towards him hoping I get a hit in before he does.

We died simultaneously and I got pissy until I realised I got the kill credit. I'll take a draw, Aldy. :)

I guess I have to go into this loving dungeon now. :negative:

I did that last night as well on NG++. Went in for the last hit right as he fired off the homing billion arrows that rain from the ceiling and how the gently caress do they fall with that kind of velocity when the ceiling is only like 30 feet up? I just stopped in my tracks after killing him, knowing drat well those arrows would probably still hurt, and they did. The really funny part is, the exact same thing happened with the two Aldrich Faithful invaders I had on my way up there.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Your Computer posted:

Is calling DS3 easy the freshest new meme?

Or is it just the ol' "heh, well I thought everything was easy :smug:" bragging shtick?

Eh, me personally I just think the bosses have too little health. That's about the only way I'd call this game "easy" over the others. Many of the zones are up there in difficulty/survivability.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mazed posted:

So I'm going through the Irithyll Dungeon.

I actually kinda like the weird spooky Gollum-lookin' dudes. They're more sympathetic than scary (it's gotta be the big babyface), and when they're even aggressive at all, they're not a problem to deal with. They add a sad sort of something to the journey.

But, I think I may actually have to call bullshit on the jailers. Yeah, good, they and this level are a neat throwback to Demon's Souls 3-1. But, their HP cap drain+heavy effect has a radius of like a million freaking miles and with the forced fatrolling they can basically one-shot you at whim with their stupid branding irons. It's cool to have tough enemies, different entirely to have flat out "gently caress you the only way you're getting through is tediously cheesing these jerks with ranged attacks."

I dunno, maybe I'll lighten up on 'em later, but it really brings down an otherwise cool creepy area.

All they've really got is their pin-down attack, which will probably be a guaranteed kill no matter how much health you have, so if you just go into it cautiously to not get hit at all, the super low health thing is just there to scare you. This obviously does not apply to the conga line, in which yeah gently caress that cheese it with ranged attacks.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Tracula posted:

Did you attack the Fire Keeper? I want to say that's technically its own ending if you kill her.

I didn't do this and still got the applicable trophy.

my new dog posted:

How can i have missed 5 bosses

At least you didn't manage to stumble upon all of them on your first playthrough. That was kind of a bummer; beating the game for the first time, hitting up the wiki, and finding out you didn't miss a single drat thing to check out on a subsequent playthrough.

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 1, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Extortionist posted:

From pages back, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned regarding (late game/hidden area spoilers) Untended Graves: the orange soapstone messages you see are the same messages you see in Firelink--if you're in the UG shrine and find some messages and homeward bone/coiled sword back to Firelink, you'll see the same messages in the same places.

Though I don't know how that supports any of the theories I've seen laid out...

I noticed that too. I feel like it's just a design oversight (perhaps just reusing the OG Firelink Shrine minus a lot of the lighting) with no real implication on lore.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Deckit posted:

I've enjoyed the hell out of the game. I just beat all the bosses on NG+ and about to go into NG+2 and do it again. Might record the boss kills. I've been using the Enchanted Dancer Blades for most fights and Drakeblood Sword for the most difficult boss. You know the one. PRAISE THE SUN!

That's not... you're not implying that that's Solaire are you?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Shoehead posted:

So uh... I own the season pass, but not...any DLC

I just bout the season pass a few hours ago. Try going to the Ashes of Andariel (or whoever) standalone DLC entry on your console and see if it's "free". I had to do this manually after claiming the dumb theme.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

loving I feel some type of way about another framerate-killing can't-see-poo poo snowy Dark Souls DLC. Or maybe it's just my seething hate of the one from Dark Souls 2 still spilling over, years later.

I don't hate it -- I've only played an hour and not yet encountered a boss -- but it's oppressive as hell, perhaps by design? All I know is I already don't want to play any more tonight. WAAAHHHHHH

About Yoel/Yuria: every NPC has referred to me as Yuria's Lord of Hollows so far. I've killed Gwyn Mk. II and completed Yuria's quest line in this play through, but have not gone through with the corresponding ending on this save.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 25, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol gently caress that church with the two arsehole ninja crows in, all for a spell I'm never going to use.

Oh, is that what that item is? Thanks for the heads up that I can safely skip it. I was just gonna do a dash and grab, but I had already forgotten about the place, anyway.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rubellavator posted:

Beat phase two of the Friede fight by popping a divine blessing and swinging for the fences, then there's a third loving phase, gently caress you game

It's a bit much, isn't it? To be fair, once you pick up on some of the enemy's shortcomings, it makes those first two phases a little easier.

Seems like a pretty polarizing fight... personally, I love it. I liked both of them; I'd entertain an entire Soulsborne game where every boss is some unassuming human type, instead of gently caress-your-camera huge beasts. Gwyn, False King Allant, Maria, now Friede, some of my favorite fights.

enojy fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 25, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kurtofan posted:

What do I need to do to get to the final boss?

Keep going left at forks, basically. On the way to the final boss, from the entrance: a long bridge, crow ninjas, a river of blood, a black phantom, a little girl NPC, an outdoor area of Viking Jr. dudes, a cave, a large mansion-turned-body-dump full of huge mosquitoes, a lever on the ground floor, a new door opening in the house on the other side of the long bridge.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

weekly font posted:

Ok I'm taking my character through NG+ and noticed something I have never seen before. I am probably just stupid and missed it.

It Irythyll when you come up the first ramp after passing through the Small Doll Dome and the fountain, there's an alleyway to the left. I could have sworn it was always a dead end but now it has a fog wall and a door that says DOES NOT OPEN FROM THIS SIDE. Where does this lead?

e: DLC Wolves tend to arc around you and then leap attack so just run to the cliff and watch three or four suicide.

Hmm, maybe something new? Irythyll is pretty strongly connected to the DLC. What's behind the fog wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Obligatum VII posted:

What I don't get is though, who the heck was that voice at the start of phase 3? I swear it sounded like Aldia... but it's more like Kaathe or something

I just figured it was that dude who tricks you into the scrap of the painting. Also kinda sounds like Spooky Laurence from Bloodborne making a Dark Souls cameo. Idk I've totally checked out at this point and I'm with Miyazaki on "I'm done with Datk Souls" lol