Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Deified Data posted:

Wish I could get the Sunset Armor earlier.

I killed Hodrick when I entered the Pit just so I could try to get this

I later learned that I have to help Sirris kill the guy just to get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Still praying for the trident to return. Have me retrieve it from the painted world bonewheel cellar hell 2.0 for all i care.

I'd just like more paired weapons. the twinspears, hammers, and claws are a ridiculous amount of fun

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Friendly Humour posted:

So does the blue sentinels/dorkmoon work for anyone? I've kept either of the covenants equipped the whole playthrough but have gotten exactly 2 summons throughout.

in the many months I've played this game, I have yet to be summoned as a blue :smith:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

I've been there its called Irthyll.

I wanted to go to the Deep dammit.

have we reached a point in the future where we actually miss going to Blighttown or the Gutter

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Bogart posted:

Salt has a few problems, most of them being bullshit platforming, lovely boss run-ups, and (imo) terrible inventory.

Also it apparently doesn't do cloud saves, because I uninstalled it, came back to it, and I have to start all over again!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

you can really see the material wealth of the Old Iron King, what with those twenty Alonne soldiers standing shoulder to shoulder in SotFS

it's placement like that which made me appreciate DS2's kill 'em until they're gone mechanic

(worst offenders are the half-dozen greatbow knights, goddamn :gonk:)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Some guy uploaded a bunch of information concerning the DLC, which is next week, I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRqaNEBXLX8

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

thanks to the DLC, ADELBERT STEINER will now have all the basic elemental swords at his disposal :unsmith:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

oldpainless posted:

I feel like Sony has much much better sales than Microsoft.

I just bought Dark Souls 2 for a third time because SOTFS was marked down to $12 :shepface:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

When in doubt, raw crossbows. They hit reasonably hard and can always be used to pull in a game where the monsters will never, ever forget about you.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I beat the entire game running pure pyromancy. Some bosses were a nightmare (old demon king) but other than that it was fine. It's worth investing in enough dex to be able to use a good bow.

I'm running a pyromancer this time around and this was my first trip to the Demon Ruins

so drat glad I chose to use the Corvian Scythe, at least the demons bleed out in no time

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Huh. It is a hole.
but hole.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

You can draw the attention of enemies with the skull ring that Ludleth drops and the atonement miracle. I dunno if they stack though. However dual shields is always going to be pointless and terrible for offense. I don't think there's any benefit to holding a great shield in both hands whatsoever.

DS3 committed the unforgivable crime of removing jump attacks from greatshields :smith:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Gerblyn posted:

To be true :darksouls: you also need to be naked and wielding the biggest club you can find, or preferably 2 of them at once. (I miss power stancing :()

the next DLC is going to be rank poo poo if it doesn't have paired greatclubs as a weapon :colbert:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

also make sure to kill yorshka after you get 30 proofs to make her pay for your suffering

I wouldn't these days, I've been getting more summons as a Darkmoon than I have in the last week than I ever did in the last year

something changed, not sure what, but I'm saving lives now god drat it

and it's on a character that can throw Chaos Bed Vestiges and poo poo on a whim

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

hanales posted:

Yeah when I went +2 on the irthyll straight sword it slowed way down. Stay at +1/+3 weapons and that 30-32 sweet spot for fastest pulls.

SL 45 / +4 is a pretty interesting range because you can invade Crucifixtion Wood all the way on up to Anor Londo/Irithyll Dungeon.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

One of the Namco-Bandai reps is hell of responsive on Reddit and threw up a ton of HD images from that Ringed City deal from Famitsu http://imgur.com/a/A6diD

and translations to boot! :q:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tollymain posted:

i think they're throwing flies at you

miracle: summon a shitload of hungry biting flies to rip and tear

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Shields in 1 are rely strong. In 2 they're really hard to rely on, and 3 pulls them up a bit but no where near old greatshield of artorus shenigans.

Again, 2 is the best for greatshields due to jumping attacks :colbert:

many days ruined on the Iron Keep bridge with a shield to plank with

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Probably the dumbest thing I've done with a gank squad is invade into Cruxifiction Woods as a Watchdog, hike over to the very end of Farron Keep just before the Watchers, and have a seat.

I watched a two-hour movie and came back, and well, the hosts had cleared out half of the swamp looking for me. Probably wasn't the nicest thing to do, but hey, I guess the game allows it if the whole swamp's up for grabs!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Whole shitload of spoilers came out today. This one's the big one for me.

A new invasion covenant, which gets a blessing of some sort upon summon, whose goal is apparently to keep you from finishing the DLC.

In fact, it's doubled-down by the fact that said invasion covenant gets special items for use online against folks trying to beat the drat thing. Yikes!

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 24, 2017

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I should say that after looking at those photos that the crossbow pictured does exactly what the description says.

It is a machine gun crossbow :getin:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Well, let's put it like this: you can see the Ringed City from where you are at the Kiln of the First Flame! :v:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah that's a fair complaint. Bloodborne's the only one of the games I've played multiple times, but it was really fun to dash through the DLC on my latest playthrough and grab weapons I wanted to use after only fighting 3 bosses.

Church Pick still remains one of the worst sticking points of the DLC for me. Such a good weapon and gated behind Ludwig, a key, and a dipshit hunter. :argh:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

hit the poise breakpoint and its pretty strong. procs after a couple of hits now

two hits is the word about it. two or three and you're there

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

so what's the deal with the new covenant I heard about? I like to invade but if there's nothing new to it I'll just come back to the dlc later after finishing nier

Remember what I said about it being an invasion covenant? Well, instead of invading in the world, you invade into a mandatory boss fight required to finish the DLC. You're basically the last stand against other players getting to the Dark Soul. You have to beat the optional boss to get the covenant, though. :getin:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Also, given his pluckiness and astounding strength, it appears that ADELBERT STEINER will be the first to head into the DLC. March on, brave Knight of Pluto! Your armor's rusty enough as it is, you'll blend in!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

that rules. so like old monk basically?

Seems to be that way!

edit: And it looks like you can reset the encounter too at some statue somewhere in the Ringed City, so if you want to fight people in some Spear of the Church PVP, you can do that!

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 28, 2017

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh. :(

Well at least it's not another three hour thing.

I saw a couple of the spoilers and saw that a level is Earthen Peak Ruins. Is...is the elevator still there?

The elevator is still there as a massive hole leading to the boss. Wait and see where it takes you this time! :shepface:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I would have been disappointed if I had to fight those jerks Gwyn and Manus again. Instead, I'm looking forward to fighting the true spirit of Dark Souls, GUTS

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

At least there's one happy ending to be found in this DLC :unsmith:

On that note, it looks like you fed all of the bad tomes to Irina because it looks like Eygon of Carim completely hollowed out looking for the Dark Soul for her. Oops. :smith:

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 28, 2017

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

It's a bit of a shame about the invasion covenant. I really wanted to see some dumb, dumb names like VegetaSephiroth, Spear of the Church as a legit boss name :sigh:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Nakar posted:

The final battle is literally two Furtive Pygmies, forgotten and unworthy, fighting to save the Dark Soul from drying up into ash like the rest of the world. Kings die pathetically, gods decay, kingdoms collapse, even the legendary Ringed City can't endure. The only things to survive to the end are failures and slaves (and scumbags like Patches). Everything's beyond saving and the only good that can come of it is to show the painter girl pure Flame and the cultivated pigment of the Dark Soul so she can make something new out of the worthless vestiges of a world that is destined to pass away in some fashion.

I think it makes sense symbolically but it's extremely poorly-conveyed and there's nowhere near enough payoff for what happens.

This is exactly why I think this is the best of endings. I never have to hear about any of this crap again hopefully!

Hopefully... :ohdear:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

They really missed an opportunity to have the area end by taking an elevator up to a giant volcano.

Nah, you've got it backwards. The elevator is upside-down and takes you to DS1's Firelink Shrine and demon royalty instead! Even magic elevators are affected by the weirdness in Lothric...

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The demons were pretty snappy, two tries and they both went down like a sack of brick. Getting summoned to help with them, on the other hand... yeesh. People are bringing four people to this fight and it's beefing up the Demon Prince to a point where my killcannon Claymore is barely making a dent in it.

Now I just have to kill a dragon and maybe make another post here to trade for Prince Lothric's sword and ADELBERT STEINER will be prepared to defend a princess again for the sake of some church no one has heard of in ages!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Are the new spells any good?

I'm told that Lightning Arrow is a lot better than it looks.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Right, that worked well. Beat him on the first try with that. Turns out doing damage makes the fight much easier! :regd09:

Have any of you guys managed to get a riposte on him at any part other than the end of the fight? I hit him in the head for the whole thing and he only got staggered at the very end. The same thing happened in my first fight with him. I think it might be a cinematic kill.

It's not. He had exactly a sliver of health left after I reposted him for a good fifth of his health.

On the flipside, Yhorm's Great Machete buffed with War Cry was bopping him for 600 HP a hit on the head, 1030 with a charged attack. I don't think I could have beaten this fight with the Claymore, this thing needs a serious beat down to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time.

In the meantime, time to look around for someone with Lothric's sword so I can pull out the stops as a Spear of the Church! :twisted:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The PVP boss is the single best piece of content in the DLC. :colbert:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm beelining for being able to do that. With the covenant item on do you have to be in the area or can you be summoned from anywhere in the game?

Don't quite know yet, I'll see later. I forgot that I didn't run Demon Ruins on this character, so we'll find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

What do you all think of the new miracles?

Someone said that you can get a pretty decent heal off Projected Heal if you shoot your feet :v: